• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - NO MORE NAZIS [New Gameplay Trailer]

Demoskinos

Can someone give me linkage to this Easy Allies discussion people have been referencing through the thread? I don't really follow them but I'd like to see what they actually said about this.

ncslamm

It's TNO/Old Blood with better movement and what looks like Sci Fi powers. If the audio mix doesn't sound like ass this time, this game will be amazing.

There are some very fine people on both sides.

The only problem I see is that it further instills the image of the stereotypical evil nazi villain in people.
Most actual Nazis look and act like ordinary people though, which makes it hard for some people to recognize Nazis when they don't look like what they know from movies and games.
See: Ann Coulter.

Sure but media is a major influence on all of us and the way we depict things in the media will inform the real life opinions people have on those things.
I think its quite important to point out that real life Nazis don't wear certain clothes, don't look a certain way, don't act a certain way.
Thoughts is whats making someone a nazi and you can't see them.

Especially recently it has become very obvious that lots of Americans have trouble identifying Nazis when they are not wearing clear hints like a swastika.
Nazi ideology, unless directly connected in a visual way to the 3rd Reich, flies under the radar as just another opinion.
And the reason for that is that ever since WW2 ended movies and forms of media have depicted Nazis as grotesque villains instead of ordinary people.
Another thing is that media usually focussed on the evil deeds of the Nazis, rather than how Nazi ideology informed these evil deeds. The focus is on the actions, rather then the reasons for these actions.

If games want to be seen as "grown up" media or art, like movies, these kinds of reflections need to happen.

Of course it is.
This will inform peoples view of Nazis, just like Independence Day informed peoples views about aliens and The Big Bang Theory informed peoples views about scientists.

Unrealistic elements are really not a deal breaker in media.
These posts from 1.21Gigawatts line up nicely with his posts in the Nazi getting punched thread.
My question is if people would also be fine with the violence if he hadn't been wearing visual indicators that he is a Nazi.

Nazism is an ideology and should be identified based on ideological positions someone has, not necessarily based on symbols someone is wearing.

I think its good when a society deems this ideology unworthy and justifies violent pushback, even though that has to be against the law.
But I think its a problem when the society is unable to identify Nazi ideology and rather relies on visual identifiers.

Lets say this guy hadn't been wearing the swastika armband but would have shouted his Nazi talking points of nationalism, USA first, traditional family values, ensuring the racial integrity of society by keeping out foreign elements etc.
...and he gets beaten up for it. Do you think people would applaud that?

I don't. Because we effectively hear Nazi ideology like this from lots of people in the US every day and its treated as just another opinion thats worthy of protection and consideration.
Americans have a very hard time recognizing Nazis when they are not wearing visual indicators, to the point where some Nazis don't even know that they are Nazis.

The thing is, the Nazis wearing swastikas or making Hitler salutes are the harmless ones. They are not a threat.
The ones who are actually a threat are the ones who appear completely normal and friendly and are capable of spreading Nazi ideology without being identified as a Nazi.

I think the US needs to have a discussion about the red line. At what point are opinions so toxic that they require violent opposition?
What makes you a Nazi? What is Nazi ideology? Why is it bad?

And once you've done that you can beat them up.
But up until that I think its hypocritical to beat up a few Nazis but not even call out others.

I haven't decided what I will do with this game yet. I think I'll buy it next year, on PS4. If I get Doom, though, and enjoy it, I may wait for Switch...It looks great, regardless.

Also, I saw this trailer on r/Nintendo. Felt weird, man.

I already know the writing will be fantastic, and MachineGames has always had a good handle on a gameplay loop that serves the narrative while providing lots of memorable highs, so I'm expecting the same quality there, but the real improvements I'm looking forward to the most are the lighting/effects/post processing. We've already seen DOOM, even on consoles, be 60fps with all sorts of flash, and that seems to be carrying over to Wolfenstein as well which makes me drool over the possibilities for new environments, times of day, lighting set ups, particles, set pieces, etc. I'm playing through The New Order (again) right now in preparation for this, and uhhh... it's not a great looking game. Art direction is strong, but the areas that take good art into something that pops off the screen in motion are lacking. The New Colossus looks like a proper jump in this respect, and more in line with the way Starbreeze used to push atmosphere and physicality back in the day.

I already know the writing will be fantastic, and MachineGames has always had a good handle on a gameplay loop that serves the narrative while providing lots of memorable highs, so I'm expecting the same quality there, but the real improvements I'm looking forward to the most are the lighting/effects/post processing. We've already seen DOOM, even on consoles, be 60fps with all sorts of flash, and that seems to be carrying over to Wolfenstein as well which makes me drool over the possibilities for new environments, times of day, lighting set ups, particles, set pieces, etc. I'm playing through The New Order (again) right now in preparation for this, and uhhh... it's not a great looking game. Art direction is strong, but the areas that take good art into something that pops off the screen in motion are lacking. The New Colossus looks like a proper jump in this respect, and more in line with the way Starbreeze used to push atmosphere and physicality back in the day.

The part that bothered me the most was the texture popin you could never kill, particularly in the safehouse. Doom looked great and so does Wolf 2. idTech5 will not be missed.

Sygma

They really just don't care about hit stop/stop do they. All the shooting in this is so flaccid and meh like the first game. I was really hoping they would've fixed that and the weak sound design. I would've expected at least the first one since the second no one succeeds at anymore.

You re literally the first person describing the shooting in New order as meh. It was the most savage fps in a long time XD

Is it me or does the new colossus look ... a bit too clean ? the first one had a sort of amazing art style going on, and while this one looks good it just seems lifeless and "too polished". New order really looked dirty, somehow. in the good way. Felt dirty too

Really conflicted, because the action looks good but isn't really triggering any kind of punchy vibe for me :(

You re literally the first person describing the shooting in New order as meh. It was the most savage fps in a long time XD

Is it me or does the new colossus look ... a bit too clean ? the first one had a sort of amazing art style going on, and while this one looks good it just seems lifeless and "too polished". New order really looked dirty, somehow. in the good way. Felt dirty too

Really conflicted, because the action looks good but isn't really triggering any kind of punchy vibe for me :(
New Order kinda had a grainy look to it which personally I didn't care for so I'm kinda happy this one looks more "Polished"

royox

This game is so smooth and beautiful, wonder how the Switch will run it.

My guess is...like DooM? Lower textures, fps, resolution, eliminate shadows and particle effects and some other technical stuff that I don't know in english.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Same here

I love idTech 6's balance of visuals at 60fps. The post processing and particles are highly advanced while still maintaining that key performance level. Excellent engineering from the team. I can't wait to see what Machine Games does with a much better engine than New Order had.

pelican

The EZA discussion about how it might not be the right time for a Nazi related game to come out after the stuff that happened a while back.

I really didn't get that discussion.

Plus the game is for a world wide market - not just he US. Something games media across the pond can forget.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
the white girl fucking a black guy in the trailer really got certain people fucked up in comments lol

Ravelle

The Tone of these games and the dialogue is so on point. I can't wait.

I hope this one has a couple of fun easter eggs and nods as well, the Grammar Nazi's were amazing.

TNO was made with idTech 5, which has basically OG XBOX lighting and little control of materials. Luminance is baked into the textures and everything has a matte look, so the feel of textures comes from their roughness. That's why idTech 5 games are earthy. (RAGE, the two first Wolfenstein games, though they have much better lighting than RAGE, especially The Old Blood) The Evil Within did miracles on this engine, but it runs like shit because, well, it goes against the design of the engine itself.
Now that Machine Games has access to an advanced PBR pipeline with dinamic lighting, they are going all in with metals, glossy materials... (Plastic, paint, mud) and they need less postprocessing and earthiness to have the game look good.

That said, The New Colossus also looks a bit uncanny to me in videos, because I'm so used to the look of the first two.

After finally playing DOOM this week.. I am kinda fearful that I am gonna cave at Wolfenstein as well (but I have no time, please send help).

That Nazi marching.. hnngh.

TheSun

the white girl fucking a black guy in the trailer really got certain people fucked up in comments lol

Man, nothing stops the whinging from those sorts of folks it seems.

---

I wanna dual wield flame throwers. This game is looking mighty nutters.

BBboy20

I really didn't get that discussion.

Plus the game is for a world wide market - not just he US. Something games media across the pond can forget.
EZA are being misrepresented here. The discussion was about CoD WWII and Wolfenstein and whether their marketing should/will change post Charlottesville. I think they actually definitively said staying the course was their best option.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I need screenshots XD
sRTkwc3.png

CjyWcrx.png

wb6qqT0.png

Q2TxGDi.png

g4FG70z.png

buGk41z.png

oQlrAKI.png

JaynePea

"LOL SJWS ARE GONNA GET SO OFFENDED AT THIS GAME", say the same folk who complain that SJWS are too violent wrt punching nazis and such

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This game looks like a step up from TNO if that was even possible. This is going to be a glorious and batshit insane campaign.

Top Bottom