• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

Mikey Jr.

kaz3fjmm.jpg

ds4mclnf.jpg

It could be useful.

Parties, invites, text messaging, selecting songs to play in-game, checking your friends list, keeping track of trophies, using the webbrowser for guides, etc.

I guess. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I just hate big controllers. It's as simple as that. Those features would be nice I suppose, but nothing really gamechanging for me.

Hopefully there is a standard DS4 that we can buy that is still traditional, but makes some needed improvements.

VanWinkle

And how much would such a controller cost if you wanted 3 more so you could have local multiplayer? Controllers are already too expensive...

It could be for the main player like Wii U, and the other controllers could be new screen-less controllers (or maybe just Dualshock 3's, who knows).

Just another quick update, probably the final one:

Added in the speakers that I forgot to put in, same with the very small mic next to the camera (didn't know where to put it). Added in a screen just so it's easier to see and altered the PS button and size/placement of the other controls.

Mikey Jr.

Just another quick update, probably the final one:

Added in the speakers that I forgot to put in, same with the very small mic next to the camera (didn't know where to put it). Added in a screen just so it's easier to see and altered the PS button and size/placement of the other controls.

Looks good.

The layout IMO is still way too Xbox-ey. Specifically the handles, the curve at the top.....shit, pretty much everything.

Yeah, actually, I'm not liking the design. It is not a dualshock at all. Its a 360 pad with PS buttons.

KAL2006

Banned
kaz3fjmm.jpg

ds4mclnf.jpg

It could be useful.

Parties, invites, text messaging, selecting songs to play in-game, checking your friends list, keeping track of trophies, using the webbrowser for guides, etc.

I don't get why we need a touchscreen to do this. Yes it would be slightly easier to do. But if Sony can make a nice functional multitasking OS. Selecting music, party chat, trophies and checking friends lists should be easy by simply pressing the PS button where a quick select menu comes up. The only advantage would really be touchscreen keyboard, but I don't think it's worth Sony investing in a touchscreen controller for something that is not game changing. The best thing in my opinion is for Sony to do something like SmartGlass, and just release a App for tablets and phones that does all this for people who care about this. Vita could do this too with also having the advantage of remote play. But for the main controller keep it simple, improve the triggers and D Pad.

Looks good.

The layout IMO is still way too Xbox-ey. Specifically the handles, the curve at the top.....shit, pretty much everything.

Yeah, actually, I'm not liking the design. It is not a dualshock at all. Its a 360 pad with PS buttons.

That's because it is :p

I'm working with what I've got because I'm not good with Photoshop for things like this. I did try with something more PlayStation-y by using a DualShock as a base but I found it too difficult and it ended up looking weird.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get why we need a touchscreen to do this. Yes it would be slightly easier to do. But if Sony can make a nice functional multitasking OS. Selecting music, party chat, trophies and checking friends lists should be easy by simply pressing the PS button where a quick select menu comes up. The only advantage would really be touchscreen keyboard, but I don't think it's worth Sony investing in a touchscreen controller for something that is not game changing. The best thing in my opinion is for Sony to do something like SmartGlass, and just release a App for tablets and phones that does all this for people who care about this. Vita could do this too with also having the advantage of remote play. But for the main controller keep it simple, improve the triggers and D Pad.
But there are game changing (excuse me, #gamechanging) applications. There's a ton of cool possibilities. Whether or not those warrant (presumably) more expensive controllers, I dunno.

sublimit

Banned
I just hope DS3 will still be compatible with the PS4 just like the Wiimote is still compatible with WiiU.
If it's not then at least give us the option to buy a DS4 separately.

velociraptor

kaz3fjmm.jpg

ds4mclnf.jpg

It could be useful.

In terms of general layout, this is pretty much the best design. Select and Start buttons could be further apart though.

Good call. An application could be equally as effective.

I really don't want them going with any kind of screen on the controller. It's an amazing feature on the GamePad, but I hate being concerned about what's going to happen if that thing breaks. As more games come out you're going to have more that require that controller, so if it ever breaks then you're going to be out of luck until it's eventually replaced. And then you have the replacement cost. So, i'd prefer to not have to deal with that.

WTF at the controller rumour? I really hope DS3s are still usable.

Does this pretty much guarantee that Durango will have an LCD-based controller also?

Fou-Lu

I really don't want them going with any kind of screen on the controller. It's an amazing feature on the GamePad, but I hate being concerned about what's going to happen if that thing breaks. As more games come out you're going to have more that require that controller, so if it ever breaks then you're going to be out of luck until it's eventually replaced. And then you have the replacement cost. So, i'd prefer to not have to deal with that.

Would you not buy a handheld then? If the screen breaks you'd need to buy an entirely new handheld!

KAL2006

Banned
But there are game changing (excuse me, #gamechanging) applications. There's a ton of cool possibilities. Whether or not those warrant (presumably) more expensive controllers, I dunno.

Please elaborate whats so game changing about having a touchscreen controller. I personally think there are more negatives than positives.

-Expensive (why should Sony invest money into a screen when they can invest more on PS4 itself)
-Battery life will be decrease due to powering the screen
-Can be done on other devices people already own, so why not just release an app for those (smartphones and tablets)

Mikey Jr.

That's because it is :p

I'm working with what I've got because I'm not good with Photoshop for things like this. I did try with something more PlayStation-y by using a DualShock as a base but I found it too difficult and it ended up looking weird.

It shouldn't. Widen the middle, stick a screen in there. Atleast in my head it looks ok.

Ashes

Banned
kaz3fjmm.jpg

ds4mclnf.jpg

It could be useful.

Too big amigo. The ratio is right though [near perfect screen to control pad size actually]. Symmetrical is the way too go. Perhaps we need to resize to fit a more hand friendly size.
How would this look the size of a dual-shock? maybe a little bigger than a DS3?

Also analogue placements really jar with the screen don't they? Almost worth it to build the screen within or encompassing the two analogue sticks.

KAL2006

Banned

Exactly. I wouldn't mind a iPhone app where I can check my friends list, trophies, shop on the store and etc, use as a remote for netflix and etc, use as a keyboard and etc. The iPhone app can have 2 modes, pair mode where it is like a remote for the PS4. And a mode when the PS4 is completely off where you still can check trophies, send messages and queue downloads. They can also make the same app for Vita, except the Vita would have a bonus feature which is Remote Play, exclusive for Vita so they can sell more Vita's,

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Please elaborate whats so game changing about having a touchscreen controller. I personally think there are more negatives than positives.

-Expensive (why should Sony invest money into a control when they van invest more on PS4 itself)
-Battery life will be decrease due to powering the screen
-Can be done on other devices people already own, so why not just release an app for those (smartphones and tablets)
I'm not saying there aren't drawbacks, just that there are ways it could be used to create cool new gameplay possibilities. Probably the one that appeals to me the most is the idea of using the controller as a window into the game world. You hold it up, turn 360 degrees in every axis. Could be awesome.

It shouldn't. Widen the middle, stick a screen in there. Atleast in my head it looks ok.

That's what I thought when I set out to do it, but it looked pretty ugly.

I wish I kept it so I could show you, but I gave up. I basically widened it like you said and also raised the middle up higher so there was slightly more vertical space in the centre and then I tried putting the screen in. But due to the shape of the DualShock, it looked unnecessarily wide and thin. Widening the 360 controller like I did works better as it's more wide and beefy to begin with.

Ashes

Banned
That's what I thought when I set out to do it, but it looked pretty ugly.

I wish I kept it so I could show you, but I gave up. I basically widened it like you said and also raised the middle up higher so there was slightly more vertical space in the centre and then I tried putting the screen in. But due to the shape of the DualShock, it looked unnecessarily wide and thin. Widening the 360 controller like I did works better as it's more wide and beefy to begin with.

what about the wii u pro?

KAL2006

Banned
I'm not saying there aren't drawbacks, just that there are ways it could be used to create cool new gameplay possibilities. Probably the one that appeals to me the most is the idea of using the controller as a window into the game world. You hold it up, turn 360 degrees in every axis. Could be awesome.

Personally I think thats a gimmick and would be cool for a couple of times and the gimmick will wear off. But to each his own, I can see why some people may enjoy this. I personally think it's not needed for a main feature more as a peripheral like Move, and that peripheral should be what every one already owns (smartphone/tablet).

Groggy

Neo Member
People in this thread actually want a gimmicky touch-screen controller or the boomerang design? No wonder Sony is no longer the best console.

What would the battery life and price even be on this bad boy, already 54 for regular controllers which is way too high. They better not do this.

Cartman86

Banned
In terms of general layout, this is pretty much the best design. Select and Start buttons could be further apart though.

Defeats the purpose if not everyone had a tablet or phone to do this with. Plus so you have a phone sitting next to you doing what? Does the app support push? Do you need to boot into it every time? It just seems like a hastle to try and push an important feature on platforms you have no control over. Especially if you are going to do more than just messaging or friends lists. If it is just for friends lists etc then yeah a phone app to supplement would work, but even thinking of putting a touch screen in the controller suggests more.

Exactly. I wouldn't mind a iPhone app where I can check my friends list, trophies, shop on the store and etc, use as a remote for netflix and etc, use as a keyboard and etc. The iPhone app can have 2 modes, pair mode where it is like a remote for the PS4. And a mode when the PS4 is completely off where you still can check trophies, send messages and queue downloads. They can also make the same app for Vita, except the Vita would have a bonus feature which is Remote Play, exclusive for Vita so they can sell more Vita's,

An app needs to happen. I hate sending messages with my controller. I hope DS4 is an improvement. Sony is usually good at designing controllers but they seem to copy the wii for everything now.

You can also put HUD on the controller so the TV looks more immersive and cinematic.

Replicant

Why mess with a good thing? Dual shock 3 was and is fine for what I want to play. I am not interested in stupid-looking controller, especially one that'd drive up the price of the console.

These controllers hurt my brain. Put that money into upping the GPU from a 7850 to an 8850 or add some RAM.

Please Sony...ah whats the use, gotta copy Nintendo.

Point made. But just sayin' people have been dealing with gaming on devices with screens for a long time.

Yeah, but you usually don't have to deal with that for consoles. If your controller breaks you'll probably have several other controllers that you can easily replace it with. Current-gen controllers cetainly aren't cheap as a DS3 will cost you $55, but Nintendo chargers more than that just to fix a broken GamePad ($85).

Cwarrior

Just heard the news

praise-god.gif

As a playtation fan I think I speak for all of us when I say "may the duel shock burn in hell for it's crimes against our hands brothers&sisters and progress, no more will we have to tolerate it, for with ps4 it's truly a new day"

Racer30

People in this thread actually want a gimmicky touch-screen controller or the boomerang design? No wonder Sony is no longer the best console.

Agreed! Screen on a controller is the worst idea ever! Have had a Logitech G15 keyboard several years, never used it in games! Only thing its good for is monitoring hardware!

Some games may make use of it, but its not worth packing it in..put those dollars elsewhere please!

braves01

Banned
DualShock is a good controller and I'm sad to see it go. However, touch screens are the new hotness and all must bow before them.

I don't know if I want a controller with a screen. Even though I made that mock-up, I'm just going on what the rumours have said (although they've only mentioned a screen; not exactly a lot of information).

What the Wii U GamePad can potentially bring to the table is exciting, but I don't think I want all the consoles to do the same. We'll see I guess.

Maybe they want the E3 to focus on the next gen games and services?

If they are confident in what they have to show(which it seems they are) then its better to use the hype machine that is E3 for the build up and reveal of the system. I am sure they will be doing closed door stuff for developers next month and in the spring but I firmly believe we are not seeing this system till their conference. It also doesn't make sense for them to take mindshare away from their two biggest titles GOW and LOTU by announcing it this early.

Top Bottom