• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "I ate crow/hat/etc" thread of PS4 reveal thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I would have never guessed 8GB was feasible and probably said so.

I was also surprised they are going to support the Move with the PS4, but it makes sense, it works and is cheap and available.

Can't say I'm eating any crow, but as someone who's never held the PS3 in much esteem, I'm psyched to see them really shooting for the moon on the PS4, and am very curious to see what the Nextbox is going to look like; the rumored specs looked pretty damned conservative next to PS4 before we found out it's going to have 8 gigs of ram, so one wonders if it's time for Microsoft to make some very expensive last minute decisions to keep up.

antitrop

I said there was a 99% chance of Vita US price drop.

I was 100% fucking wrong.

But at least they gave me a reason not to sell mine.

(._.)

Banned
Not sure if I'm really eating any

I never really predicted anything in the last year or so

back around fall 2011 I was very hesitant to predict such a leap in RAM. I think I said 4gbs would be the max a nextgen system would have .

I changed my predictions though as more info came out. I pretty much expected just about everything they said about the system months ago.

I've been saying a new PS3 was coming in 2013 for around a year now.

codhand

those eating crow over ram being 8 instead of 4, isnt the fact that the ram is G-ddr also impressive? i mean isnt a good graphics card 2gb of gddr currently, thus making 8 gddr really crazy?

Buggy Loop

No megaton really, not that much of a jump in visuals, so many things in that killzone video that still felt current gen, the character interactions and their animations, not that ahead of this gen imo. Im used to PC so basically, only exclusives game content have to impress the hell out of me to make me jump ship.

codhand

Aegies, you said it was a huge last minute change to go with 8, so wouldnt that give microsoft plenty of time to make similar changes in specs?

Aegies, you said it was a huge last minute change to go with 8, so wouldnt that give microsoft plenty of time to make similar changes in specs?

They could. That's the advantage of unveiling last. But, I figure at this point they have to kind of know what price point they want so changing from DDR3 to DDR5 could be painful. Time to cut those Kinnect specs again.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I will eat crow on the ram but if this pushes the launch price past 399.99 it will be a mistake.

How about you find any example of me saying "secret sauce," ever. I will paypal you ten dollars if you do.

Is this it?

My sources pointed to much less than 3GB of RAM occupied by the OS and Kinect, etc. But at this point, things could change. We're actually at a point where small details can change a lot, and Sony having 4GB of RAM means that Microsoft has breathing room to play, perhaps. I have some ideas as to what some of the "secret sauce" might be, but I'm not ready to talk yet.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46612542&postcount=1573

.GqueB.

Banned
I was hyped. But they took my hype to the back room and destroyed it with a bare broomstick and went in dry. Far exceeded my expectations.

I'm going to join everyone else on eating crow over the 8Gb of GDDR5 RAM. 4Gb, sure. 8Gb? Lolno. Or at least that's my line of reasoning.

aegies

I doubt it, but clearly, anything is possible. I don't know. If I were Microsoft, I would see this as an opportunity to aggressively pursue a price advantage, and I think they'll be in a better position to cost reduce and get production up to where they want it than Sony will be with PS4. All of that is conjecture though, nothing I'm hearing from sources.

Quoting someone else! WITH ACTUAL QUOTE MARKS. I'll let mods decide on that one, but I don't think that counts.

You better stop with some of your claims, otherwise it wont be a crow your eating but a 747 tarred in crow feathers

I said Gaikai wouldn't work for BC. They said they'd like it to some day. There's no crow there.

I doubt it, but clearly, anything is possible. I don't know. If I were Microsoft, I would see this as an opportunity to aggressively pursue a price advantage, and I think they'll be in a better position to cost reduce and get production up to where they want it.

Quoting someone else! WITH ACTUAL QUOTE MARKS. I'll let mods decide on that one, but I don't think that counts.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
So much classic material...

Aegis "Secret Sauce"

8GB DDR5 is "impossible"

Destiny timed exclusive on durango

Tonight was the end of some of the so-called industry insiders.

*raises hand*

Sony really impressed me today. I still think their first-party stuff from this generation has been a bit tits (looking at you, Uncharted) but the power, the approach to development, and the attitude in general got me thinking that, yes, the PS4 might be the machine I go with.

A few doubts: some of the network features will probably be moot in New Zealand. But nothing major, I don't think.

Elios83

I said Gaikai wouldn't work for BC. They said they'd like it to some day. There's no crow there.

They said that they're gearing up to provide BC for PS1, PS2, PS3 games through cloud and that the service will be implemented progressively. They also said that Sony has greenlighted a huge investement in this sense.
So no it's more than a vague promise and Gaikai will work for BC.

CLEEK

So much classic material...

Aegis "Secret Sauce"

8GB DDR5 is "impossible"

Destiny timed exclusive on durango

Tonight was the end of some of the so-called industry insiders.

Who would have thought, that the only actual industry insiders where Edge. Not some forum chump or click bait website trying to bring attention to themselves with ill informed and/or fabricated rumours.

Edge were the only ones to show the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox 3 (with no 'bu... buu... but.. secret sauce!' nonsense) and that Sony were aiming for 8GB GDDR RAM.

Edit: Edge also stated that the PS4 would play used games, which has just been confirmed by Sony.

IrishNinja

They said that they're gearing up to provide BC for PS1, PS2, PS3 games through cloud and that the service will be implemented progressively. They also said that Sony has greenlighted a huge investement in this sense.
So no it's more than a vague promise and Gaikai will work for BC.

on the other hand: can you name a single title for this? do we expect them to trickle out like PS1 games on Vita, before ceasing? what about licensing rights, latency issues, etc etc? they've said lots of stuff, i see no reason to get excited about this as a BC workaround until we get more details. he's not wrong, it's just talk for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom