• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF speaks [/d/raphics interchange format]

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The people who invented something had an intended pronunciation for the word and that is the correct way to say it.

In NeoGAF's case, it's pronounced with a hard g. They intended it to be that way because of "Gaming Age Forums" and "Gafers".
1. "Gaming Age Forums" just provides the letters.
2. Gaffer is a job in film production. The carryover was automatic.
3. I don't believe anyone ever discussed whether it should be hard or soft.
4. I'm one of the people who first started saying "NeoGAF". The official name came after the colloquial name.

The Oxford English Dictionary says that both pronunciations of "gif" are correct. You guys are so silly. :p

There can be only one

LlZ7TBr.jpg

Nibel

This is the last time I'm posting this!!!!!!!!!!

According to the rules of English the letter G followed by an i, e, or y is pronounced "J". While there are many exceptions the secondary rule is that words of Latin/Greek origin usually follow the rule while those of Germanic origin do not. "Gif" is an acronym composed of three Latin/Greek words. It is too is arguably of Latin/Greek origin.

Since the word "gif" is spelled "gi", and since it is or Latin/Greek origin it is most appropriately pronounced "jif".

People keep saying it sounds like "gift", but gift is of Germanic origin not Latin.

The only argument that makes sense at to why is should be pronounced with a hard G is simply because "that's how it's pronounced". That's certainly a compelling argument. But any attempt to use the rules of English pronunciation or comparing it with other words are simply wrong. According to the rules of English pronunciation it undoubtedly should be pronounced with a soft G. It's an exception (which is perfectly valid) that it is not.

Because most computer terms follow the rules of English, right?

Jet Out

Shaneus

The Oxford English Dictionary says that both pronunciations of "gif" are correct. You guys are so silly. :p
Yes, but the creator himself denounced that and said it was only pronounced with a soft "g".

Actually, nothing was intended at all! The closeness with "Gaffer" kind of took care of things.

Just like the closeness with "Gift".
But in this instance, there *is* an intention... there was from the very beginning. So we roll with that. Soft "g".

According to Steve Wilhite, the creator of the GIF format, the original pronunciation deliberately echoes the American peanut butter brand, Jif, and the employees of CompuServe would often say "Choosy developers choose GIF", spoofing this brand's television commercials. This pronunciation was also identified by CompuServe in their documentation of a graphics display program called CompuShow.

Moog = mogue
Sade = shaday
GIF = jif

The English language and phonetics contained therein are weird and always has exceptions that buck most "rules", GIF with a soft "g" being one of them. Deal with it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yes, but the creator himself denounced that and said it was only pronounced with a soft "g".
The OED is a descriptive dictionary, not a prescriptive one. The fact remains that people DO pronounce it with a hard g.

But in this instance, there *is* an intention... there was from the very beginning. So we roll with that. Soft "g".
My main argument is that it doesn't matter at this point. Cat's out of the bag. The word is no longer his, and it's way too late to try to reclaim it.

Moog = mogue
Sade = shaday
GIF = jif

The English language and phonetics contained therein are weird and always has exceptions that buck most "rules", GIF with a soft "g" being one of them. Deal with it.

iuEgKJxo92vos.gif

Paganmoon

According to the rules of English the letter G followed by an i, e, or y is pronounced "J". While there are many exceptions the secondary rule is that words of Latin/Greek origin usually follow the rule while those of Germanic origin do not. "Gif" is an acronym composed of three Latin/Greek words. It is too is arguably of Latin/Greek origin.

Since the word "gif" is spelled "gi", and since it is or Latin/Greek origin it is most appropriately pronounced "jif".

People keep saying it sounds like "gift", but gift is of Germanic origin not Latin.

The only argument that makes sense at to why is should be pronounced with a hard G is simply because "that's how it's pronounced". That's certainly a compelling argument. But any attempt to use the rules of English pronunciation or comparing it with other words are simply wrong. According to the rules of English pronunciation it undoubtedly should be pronounced with a soft G. It's an exception (which is perfectly valid) that it is not.

All that proves is that English is a stupid language...

Jet out of here, STALKER!

sajj316

Sorry Pachter, you don't need to work at Wedbush Morgan to understand the gaming industry business. We are right. You are wrong. Easy formula ;)

Good start with part 1

EvilLore cash register ringing. We need that ItPrintsMoney.gif with EvilLore instead!!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
still waiting for one english language example where the letters g-i-f in sequence produce a soft g sound. not g-I-r, not g-i-b, a word with g-i-f and a soft g sound. anyone?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
still waiting for one english language example where the letters g-i-f in sequence produce a soft g sound. not g-I-r, not g-i-b, a word with g-i-f and a soft g sound. anyone?
It doesn't matter, because gi and ge can be pronounced either with hard or soft G's depending on the word.

In the case of this acronym, it can be pronounced either way.

dose

Your argument completely falls apart because 'gi' (the closest counterparts) in Greek are pronounced as a 'Yhee' sound and isn't close to a 'J'. Fail.

I feel like the people who say "Jiff" just recently found out that they were pronouncing it wrong and were embarrassed so they are trying to cover it up.

It's a hard G.

I still don't know why it's a soft G. The damn letter means "Graphics" so it's only logical to say GIF instead of JIF.

This whole new JIF debacle seems so hipsterish to me "I was calling it JIF before.. etc.etc."

Einbroch

Banned
I've never seen people argue so long about something so stupid. At least of what I can remember. TeamReal/CG was interesting at least.

Bravo.

Top Bottom