• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve to hold Steam Dev Days conference in January (No Media).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So is the gamepad getting a redesign then...? Obviously not having a touchscreen will change it, but are the trackpads getting moved around for traditional buttons?

Valve's goal with Steambox and the controller is letting whoever wants to hack it... hack it. It's good to see Valve bow to some demands/vocal minority (me) that doesn't want the controller they introduced but instead a 360/PS3 knock-off with better Linux/etc. PC support and are doing that themselves however. I'm sure Alienware/et. al. are going to get in on that action if Valve allows it.

(I'll buy this version over the touch-screen version anyday. I have yet to be convinced the controller they revealed is worth the time/money)

HariKari

Oculus Rift people had said themselves that Valve VR is totally about the tech and R&D without worrying about making a product for consumers.

So it would easily be better then what is rift is offering.

Yeah, but the talk centered around "we know what affordable VR tech will look like in two years" so it's not some moonshot piece of tech no one will ever be able to use.

New controller prototype

BeDa6qsCAAAqqnq.jpg:large

Miker

New controller prototype

BeDa6qsCAAAqqnq.jpg:large

Huh. If they go that route, I think they'll need to improve the ergonomics or make the controller bigger. No way I'm pressing any of those buttons without screwing something up on the trackpads. And why not opt for a standard d-pad on the left side...? If they're making concessions to traditional controllers, it makes more sense than a second set of 4 buttons.

Huh. If they go that route, I think they'll need to improve the ergonomics or make the controller bigger. No way I'm pressing any of those buttons without screwing something up on the trackpads. And why not opt for a standard d-pad on the left side...? If they're making concessions to traditional controllers, it makes more sense than a second set of 4 buttons.

They want a symmetrical controller.

Perfectly symmetrical...? I'm not really sure I see the logic in that. Maybe it'll make sense if I see actually controller configurations.

I believe during the controller announcement Valve mentioned they wanted a perfectly symmetrical controller to make the use easy for left-handed people.

Randdalf

I really hope we see a new Team Fortress game on Source 2.

I don't think that's necessary. I'd rather see a Team Fortress 2.5 with the map pool tightened up, the hats purged according to the original stricter art style and a greater focus on new modes that weren't possible in the old engine. The game feels so unfocused and busy nowadays compared to how it used to feel. I want to play TF2 and be able to enjoy it as the team-based multiplayer game it was meant to be, when everyone used to talk about strategy instead of what effect their hat had.

I don't think that's necessary. I'd rather see a Team Fortress 2.5 with the map pool tightened up, the hats purged according to the original stricter art style and a greater focus on new modes that weren't possible in the old engine. The game feels so unfocused and busy nowadays compared to how it used to feel. I want to play TF2 and be able to enjoy it as the team-based multiplayer game it was meant to be, when everyone used to talk about strategy instead of what effect their hat had.

You're either exaggerating quite a bit or you're playing in the wrong places. I can't recall hearing trade/item talk in probably my last hundred hours of playing. I mostly just stick to a few servers I frequent though.

I really do hope they integrate competitive matchmaking like Dota and CS GO for highlander though.

Randdalf

You're either exaggerating quite a bit or you're playing in the wrong places. I can't recall hearing trade/item talk in probably my last hundred hours of playing. I mostly just stick to a few servers I frequent though.

I'm exaggerating yeah, but based on experiences I've had. Most servers I've gone on recently it's just people deathmatching and not really doing much in the way of teamwork. I used to play on a server way back that had proper voice communication, but it seems hard to come by nowadays.

HariKari

I wonder if it's actually a competing product to Oculus or if people are misunderstanding Valve showing off something built in collaboration with them, given how the two companies seem to have a pretty good relationship.

Valve's VR isn't a consumer product. It's what 'affordable' VR will be in two years, according to Abrash. So the reports that it's a generational leap ahead of Occulus are probably spot on. It just means that they are showing off a nice piece of tech to get devs excited about the possibility of VR, whereas Occulus is constantly showing off actual consumer products (or something close to it).

Personally, I think Valve should just buy Occulus and get it over with, if that's possible at this point. Own them as a subsidiary but let them run their own show.

Xaero

Neo Member
Can't wait to get my steam box in an hour! So cool they're giving them out! Excited to get back to the hotel and hook it up!

@DaveOshry
Over 7 million people use the Steam mobile app. #SteamDevDays pic.twitter.com/AoSoSwaLnv

It could be nice if they update the Android app.

Valve has been blown away by the response to early access on both sides of the equation. In a good way. #SteamDevDays

Over 1/10 of the games that shipped on Steam last year were Early Access games. #SteamDevDays

Steam controllers can update their firmware in real time which allow them to hold a game's input mapping @UnitedFrontGame #steamdevdays

YuShtink

Yeah, but the talk centered around "we know what affordable VR tech will look like in two years" so it's not some moonshot piece of tech no one will ever be able to use.

Yes, but it's really Valve's way of showing to developers, "Look, this is what will be possible in a consumer device 3-5 years from now. So think long and hard about jumping aboard VR and supporting Oculus on Steam."

Top Bottom