• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare and crazy historical photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghandi’s letter to Hitler, 1939
rare1.jpg

The original design for Mount Rushmore, 1923
rare2.jpg

Last public execution in the United States (Kentucky, 1936)
rare3.jpg

Last photo taken of the Titanic before it sank, 1912
rare4.jpg

Hellen Keller meets Charlie Chaplin, 1919
rare6.jpg

“Jackie” the Lion, recoring the MGM roar 1928
rare7.jpg

Tesla sitting behind his “Magnifying Transmitter”, 1899
rare8.jpg

The Great Manta weighed over 5,000 pounds and was caught in Brielle, NJ, 1933
rare9.jpg

Massive crowds gather for Woodstock, 1969
rare11.jpg

An Empire State builder hanging on a crane above New York City, 1925
rare12.jpg

Nuclear Bomb “Shadow” in Hiroshima, Japan 1945
rare13.jpg

Partially excavated Sphinx in Egypt, 1878
rare14.jpg

Men celebrate the end of prohibition, December 5, 1933
rare20.jpg

American corporal aims a Colt M1895 on top of an elephant during WW1, 1914
rare22.jpg

Men stand in a 45,000 ton steel pipe over the Hoover Dam
rare23.jpg

Katherine Switzer was the first woman to run the Boston Marathon in 1967, although men attempted to stop her
rare30.jpg

All-female flight crew, WWII.
rare47.jpg

The “Punt Gun”, which could shoot over a pound of ammunition at a time, rests on the shoulder of a young man
rare32.jpg

A young girl receiving animal therapy, 1956.
rare64.jpg

The inventor of basketball, James Naismith and his wife.
rare62.jpg

William Harley and Arthur Davidson, 1914 with their motorcycles
rare75.jpg

blgsrfscyaaauq2-jpg.39118

Cowlick

Banned
Not rare -- quite famous, actually -- but this one always gets me.

2lb_original.jpg

Construction workers just chilling 800 feet above the ground in 1932. Because fuck safety.

Pastry

Banned
Not rare -- quite famous, actually -- but this one always gets me.

2lb_original.jpg

Construction workers just chilling 800 feet above the ground in 1932. Because fuck safety.

I don't know if it's the case for this particular photos but most of the photos you see like this were actually staged and they weren't in any danger.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Are there any Rare Pepe?

Lincoln and Washington totally look like they are about to kiss.

These pictures are cool.

Kallor

Al Capone’s soup kitchen during the Great Depression, Chicago, 1931:

The unbroken seal on King Tutankhamun’s tomb, 1922:

Trench rats killed by a terrier, 1916:

I want a terrier now!

Nazi rally in the Cathedral of Light, 1937:

Lady in a litter being carried by her slaves slaves, Brazil, 1860:

Loyalty oath of Nazi SS troops, Feldherrnhalle, Munich, 1938:

Einstein’s desk photographed a day after his death:

Ahh, that feeling of looking over someones stuff after they are gone and wondering what they might have been thinking.

Wright brothers first flight.
1903_First-flight.jpg

One of the last known photos of a fully armored Samurai.
samurai-6.jpg

The earliest known photograph to be taken with a camera. It was taken by Joseph Nicéphore Niépce in 1826 or 1827. The image depicts the view from an upstairs window at Niépce's estate, Le Gras, in the Burgundy region of France.
first_photograph_home_trans.png

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I don't understand that elephant picture. As far as I know, there weren't any American soldiers in Sri Lanka in 1914, and it certainly wasn't anything to do with the first world war.

Rizific

A young girl receiving animal therapy, 1956.
rare64.jpg
she's also receiving ventilation with that chest cuirass. That form of ventilation is still used today. Works by essentially creating a seal on the patients chest and applying a negative pressure resulting in expansion of the lungs. As a respiratory therapist, I found that pic pretty cool.

Lamel

Banned
King tut's seal is cool. For thousands of years it was unseen - the last time someone touched it was millennia ago.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
pershing-villa.jpg

Pancho-Villa-002.jpg

First pic is Pancho Villa and U.S. General and war veteran John Pershing. Though adversaries you can tell there is a mutual respect amongst battle hardened warriors.

First saw that pic in a History of Mexico college class I took. Fascinating given the historical circumstances at the time.

GhaleonEB

I don't know if it's the case for this particular photos but most of the photos you see like this were actually staged and they weren't in any danger.

That's my understanding with this photo. I read an article about it a few years ago showing the same area from alternate angles. That beam was directly over part of the building, which you can't see from how that photo is framed. (Though, note the beams sticking out at the very bottom - they extend under where they are sitting.) While up high, they were not dangling over the side of the building.

Mohonky

You have to admit, those Nazi's knew how to put on a spectacle. I mean, if you want to look all powerful nothing quite comes across as well as those big theatres and monolithic designs drapped in red. Its actually kind of awe inspiring, I would imagine it looked pretty amazing in person.

Looking back on it now though it is a pretty ominous looking sight knowing what was to come.

You have to admit, those Nazi's knew how to put on a spectacle. I mean, if you want to look all powerful nothing quite comes across as well as those big theatres and monolithic designs drapped in red. Its actually kind of awe inspiring, I would imagine it looked pretty amazing in person.

Looking back on it now though it is a pretty ominous looking sight knowing what was to come.
Nazi architecture and symbolism is both awe inspiring and fearsome. It's fascinating.

Apparently Sweden changed from driving on the left to driving on the right in 1967

This is supposdely a photo taken on the first day of the changeover

old-historic-photos-281__605.jpg

pershing-villa.jpg

Pancho-Villa-002.jpg

First pic is Pancho Villa and U.S. General and war veteran John Pershing. Though adversaries you can tell there is a mutual respect amongst battle hardened warriors.

First saw that pic in a History of Mexico college class I took. Fascinating given the historical circumstances at the time.
My family's land was taken by Pancho Villa and they fled Mexico to America in the early part of the 20th century. They came penniless. Through a couple of business connections and hard work, by the mid-20s they were rich again. Then, lost it all again in the big crash at the end of the decade. My grandfather was never able to afford retirement and died working as an accountant.

So basically fuck this guy. Though, living in America is pretty nice.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
she's also receiving ventilation with that chest cuirass. That form of ventilation is still used today. Works by essentially creating a seal on the patients chest and applying a negative pressure resulting in expansion of the lungs. As a respiratory therapist, I found that pic pretty cool.

You guys are fucking heroes. Thank you.

Nicktendo86

I don't get it, that pic of a Empire State builder hanging from a ball in the op, is that not the Empire State Building in the background?

9+kings+in+one+photo.jpg

Photo is of 9 reigning kings. Taken in 1910 at the funeral of King Edward VII.

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/nine-kings-one-photo/

In May 1910, European royalty gathered in London for the funeral of King Edward VII. Among the mourners were nine reigning kings, who were photographed together in what very well may be the only photograph of nine reigning kings ever taken. Of the nine sovereigns pictured, four would be deposed and one assassinated. Within five years, Britain and Belgium would be at war with Germany and Bulgaria. Only five of the nine monarchies represented in the photo still exist today.

Standing from left to right: King Haakon VII of Norway, King Ferdinand of Bulgaria, King Manuel of Portugal, Kaiser Wilhelm II of the German Empire, King George I of The Hellenes (Greece) and King Albert I of the Belgians (Belgium). Seated, from left to right: King Alfonso XIII of Spain, King-Emperor George V of the Great Britain and King Frederick VIII of Denmark.

LOL respect they were straight up Bros when Pershing was sent to capture Villa, he suddenly became as inept as a Stormtrooper chasing Villa around the desert at a speed that could only be called comfortable

Engell

Picture from the 1927 Solvay Conference on Quantum Mechanics.
a lot of historical brain power gathered in one place

From back to front and from left to right : Auguste Piccard, Émile Henriot, Paul Ehrenfest, Édouard Herzen, Théophile de Donder, Erwin Schrödinger, Jules-Émile Verschaffelt, Wolfgang Pauli, Werner Heisenberg, Ralph Howard Fowler, Léon Brillouin, Peter Debye, Martin Knudsen, William Lawrence Bragg, Hendrik Anthony Kramers, Paul Dirac, Arthur Compton, Louis de Broglie, Max Born, Niels Bohr, Irving Langmuir, Max Planck, Marie Skłodowska Curie, Hendrik Lorentz, Albert Einstein, Paul Langevin, Charles-Eugène Guye, Charles Thomson Rees Wilson, Owen Willans Richardson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvay_Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom