• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare and crazy historical photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
German wehrmacht (defence force) prisoners of war watching a film regarding the concentration camps

16 year old German soldier.

same boy

0_63f3f_d1c9de54_orig.jpg

Dresden after the bombing of US troops

0_63f41_ef4010e6_orig.jpg

Next to a torn portrait of Hitler , commander Volkssturm , lying dead on the floor of City Hall in Leipzig, April 19, 1945

0_63f49_8b9d1682_orig.jpg

Soviet soldiers street fighting around Konigsberg , East Prussia , Germany, in April 1945,

0_63f56_aba2074a_orig.jpg

Color photo of a bombed the historic city of Nuremberg, Germany in June 1945

0_63f61_d95dc5eb_orig.jpg

StayDead

He looks like he really doesn't want to be there. I hope he survived the war and turned out fine eventually.

Something one of my friends said to me who fought in Afghanistan and Iraq was that a part of everyone who goes to war dies even if they survive. He said himself and nobody he ever came in contact with in the army came back home the same person as they left.

Even if the guy survived the war, he never would've been the same and that goes for all the other poor men and women who were fighting on both sides of the war. WW1/WW2 really are humanities darkest hour. There's been large scale wars with genocides before, but nothing in human history compares to just how awful it must've been for everyone involved in WW1/WW2.

Alx

That's crazy. I've seen that picture before, but I thought it was nazi-propaganda manipulation (some kind of manual Photoshop)

Even when they existed, those giant cannons were still mostly for propaganda. As we can see in the photograph, they could only be moved by rail, which wasn't very practical. Also they were meant for long distant shots, which were not very precise, and each shot was very expensive.
It was mostly meant to scare the population, "we can bomb your city even if you're far from the front". Something that airplanes did much better in the end.

Joni

Even when they existed, those giant cannons were still mostly for propaganda. As we can see in the photograph, they could only be moved by rail, which wasn't very practical. Also they were meant for long distant shots, which were not very precise, and each shot was very expensive.
It was mostly meant to scare the population, "we can bomb your city even if you're far from the front". Something that airplanes did much better in the end.
They were very much meant for massive destruction, it was supposed to tear the Maginot line to shreds which would have been difficult with airplanes. They just usually ended up arriving too late to the battlefield. For instance, Germany raged through Belgium bypassing the Maginot line.

bfW5FSr-387x300.jpg

Old Stockholm telephone tower was devised for real already in the year 1887. This great tower handled 5,500 subscribers and had total lines of around 5,000km.

the nazis (as crazy as it sounds) were more open to other nationalities on their army than the us

i remember american soldiers taking bunkers on ohama to find asian guys on the german uniform

attachment.php

and look at this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Kyoungjong

Yang Kyoungjong (March 3, 1920 – April 7, 1992) was a Korean soldier who fought in the Imperial Japanese Army, the Soviet Red Army, and later the German Wehrmacht during World War II

800px-Yang_Kyoungjong.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
He looks like he really doesn't want to be there. I hope he survived the war and turned out fine eventually.

He was just a kid, of course he didn't want to be there. He'd probably rather be with his family & friends, enjoying life like he should have been.

War is fucking terrible...and not just WW1 or WW2. There's kids like this boy nowadays who are stuck in the same situation in some countries.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't know that this counts as a singularly historical photo, but the ancient city of Pompeii was wiped out by a volcanic eruption, and the inhabitants' outlines were preserved by layers of ash so you could see them in their exact dying moments. Look it up if you aren't familiar with it. It's absolutely haunting.

plaster-casts.jpg

From another historical photo thread
nayenezgani-navaho-a3eum7.jpg

What is this? This is amazing. I want to design something based on this.

Ithil

holy shit thanks for the pics bro the MGM one is amazing

1QTadDF.jpg

this one always gets to me

This one is actually highly out of context, and the photographer greatly regretted taking it, as it ruined the career of the man with the gun (the man he is pointing it at is a criminal).

These pictures are amazing.

The ones showing the construction workers eating lunch on a steel beam above the city, the men standing in the tub above the Dam and especially the Empire State Building worker hanging onto the crane are almost tough to look at, though.

I can't believe people would do that.

It was not build by the Nazis or for the Nazis, they just misused it like a lot of other things.

I know it was not built by them.

Just crazy to see a picture how they misused it, and nowadays Tourists are drinking coffee sitting on the stairs there..

aku:jiki

This one is actually highly out of context, and the photographer greatly regretted taking it, as it ruined the career of the man with the gun (the man he is pointing it at is a criminal).
But there's also video of that and he doesn't just point the gun, he pulls the trigger less than a second after that photo. That's not due process and maybe his career should've been ruined.

The fact that these Muslim fighters also hated Jews was certainly not a disadvantage for the Nazis...
There never really was (nor is) an antagonism between Jews and Muslims. There is currently, though, an ideologic war between the powers in the Levant region.
But that started way after the WW II.

Ithil

What the fuck are you talking about?

so killing criminals is okay now, hurrah
burn.gif

What the photographer had to say about it:

By Eddie Adams Monday, Jul. 27, 1998, Time Magazine
I won a Pulitzer Prize in 1969 for a photograph of one man shooting another. Two
people died in that photograph: the recipient of the bullet and GENERAL NGUYEN
NGOC LOAN. The general killed the Viet Cong; I killed the general with my camera.
Still photographs are the most powerful weapons in the world. People believe them,
but photographs do lie, even without manipulation. They are only half-truths. What
the photograph didn't say was, "What would you do if you were the general at that
time and place on that hot day, and you caught the so-called bad guy after he blew
away one, two or three American soldiers?" General Loan was what you would call a
real warrior, admired by his troops. I'm not saying what he did was right, but you
have to put yourself in his position. The photograph also doesn't say that the general
devoted much of his time trying to get hospitals built in Vietnam for war casualties.
This picture really messed up his life. He never blamed me. He told me if I hadn't
taken the picture, someone else would have, but I've felt bad for him and his family
for a long time. I had kept in contact with him; the last time we spoke was about six
months ago, when he was very ill. I sent flowers when I heard that he had died and
wrote, "I'm sorry. There are tears in my eyes."
--Eddie Adams

Jme

There never really was (nor is) an antagonism between Jews and Muslims. There is currently, though, an ideologic war between the powers in the Levant region.
But that started way after the WW II.

what the fuck are you even talking about?

so killing criminals is okay now, hurrah

He was a North Vietnamese officer not in uniform who had a list of police officer's homes he and his squad would visit to kill their entire families. That puts him outside any protection of the Geneva conventions and can be summarily executed.

jelly

You think they had art of scantily clad dudes on their planes?

I don't know about that group of ladies but women delivered and flew new planes like spitfires during WWII. Interesting to think what everyone was doing during the wars. All hands on deck and if you could do the job, good enough.

JordanN

Banned
Ah, I finally found it.

The last pictures of the World Trade Center on September 11 2001, seconds before the first attack.

Usually it's the French film maker's video that is used, but there existed 2 more (Pavel Hlava and Wolfgang Staehle).

RNwoIj0.jpg

3Hbhory.jpg

Astrid Lindgren (Pippi Longstocking's author) in a protest
Lindgren-protest.jpg

A suffragette during a protest in London, 1910
Suffragettes-9.jpg

Suffragette Emily Davison dies after running in front of King's George V horse during the 1913 Derby
emilydavison1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom