• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TolkienGAF |OT| The World is Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunnies28

Maybe they can go completely crazy and make a movie set on the lands to the east of ME. Wait, can they even do that?

Maybe something involving dwarves? This legal stuff is weird :p

Jacob

As far as I know they have the right to make up whatever stories they want set in Middle-earth, so long as they're not cribbing from stuff found only in posthumously published works that they don't have the rights to. I can't imagine them doing anything too out there though. The value of the established franchise is familiarity to the audience.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Middle-earth film franchise should be laid to rest for good as far as I'm concerned. I'd be content never to see another film adaptation come to fruition.

Fathead

Edmond Dantès;169438591 said:
The Middle-earth film franchise should be laid to rest for good as far as I'm concerned. I'd be content never to see another film adaptation come to fruition.

I wouldnt mind a new animated film, but live action should be left alone for a good long while.

Turin

Banned
Edmond Dantès;169438591 said:

But do you really think they'll leave it alone for the next couple of decades?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
But do you really think they'll leave it alone for the next couple of decades?
Considering the money that The Hobbit trilogy has made and will continue to make with the extended edition of The Battle of the Five Armies, I doubt it. If a project is confirmed in the next few decades or so, it'll be a Middle-earth film far removed from Tolkien's writings.

Edmond Dantès;169485398 said:
Considering the money that The Hobbit trilogy has made and will continue to make with the extended edition of The Battle of the Five Armies, I doubt it. If a project is confirmed in the next few decades or so, it'll be a Middle-earth film far removed from Tolkien's writings.

You're probably right, and it breaks my heart a little. Or maybe more than a little. I'm entrenching myself in denial as long as I can.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Spot the Tolkien link:

L4wSrQv.jpg

This will be fun.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;169934738 said:
Looking forward to the seeing what they've added. There is obvious room for improvement, certainly in comparison to the previous films.

The going rumor is that there's around 30 minutes of added footage, which is a fairly substantial amount. Hopefully it becomes a more well-rounded film as a result.

Jackson has been surprisingly quiet about the EE so far, usually by this point we know a lot more about it. I know he said in an interview a couple months back that Weta Digital were working on VFX for the EE scenes. That said, he's undoubtedly taking things easy after this six-year undertaking with this trilogy. Talk about exhausting.

Edmond Dantès;169948892 said:
Spot the Tolkien link:

L4wSrQv.jpg

This will be fun.

Oh man, so jealous.

Red Mage

Edmond Dantès;169823318 said:
The Silmarillion material at least is secured for a very long time to come, regardless of Christopher Tolkien's death.

Oh, come on! You'd love to see Peter Jackson get his hands on it. = P

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The going rumor is that there's around 30 minutes of added footage, which is a fairly substantial amount. Hopefully it becomes a more well-rounded film as a result.

Jackson has been surprisingly quiet about the EE so far, usually by this point we know a lot more about it. I know he said in an interview a couple months back that Weta Digital were working on VFX for the EE scenes. That said, he's undoubtedly taking things easy after this six-year undertaking with this trilogy. Talk about exhausting.

Oh man, so jealous.
That's interesting. I think we can deduce that the chariot scene from the trailers will be included and the funeral scene and possibly something relating to Beorn who was shortchanged in the film.

The concert is a little treat after a period of hard work. The Royal Albert Hall is starting to fill up now.

Loxley my friend, when (and I have no doubt that you will eventually) you visit the UK, you should certainly include a trip to the Royal Albert Hall in your itinerary.
Oh, come on! You'd love to see Peter Jackson get his hands on it. = P
Peter's time with Middle-earth is at an end. I'd like to see Peter Weir take on the task, but it's very doubtful that it'll ever happen.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Peter Jackson comes to Tolkien’s Oxford

In his first-ever visit to the University where Tolkien first conceived Middle-earth a century ago, the acclaimed director tells how he’d feel if the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings author could see his blockbusting movie adaptations.

In 1914, J R R Tolkien was a student at Exeter College and president of its JCR, the Stapeldon Society. That year the city’s first cinemas were founded, the Phoenix Picture Palace and Oxford (now Ultimate) Picture Palace — both still in use today. But some eyed the new entertainment with suspicion, fearing it would suck people away from reality and gainful pursuits. The Stapledon Society convened on the motion, ‘The cheap “Cinema” is an engine of social corruption.’ Tolkien commented in favour.

‘Haha, really?’ grins Sir Peter Jackson. ‘Well, I’d love to show him our movies. I’d be terrified. I’m sure there would be lots in them he’d not like at all. . . . But hopefully some of what we did would delight and surprise him.’
Continued here

params7

Banned
Well specially knowing Tolkien's living heirs loath his work, I can understand where Jackson is coming from.

Jackson should be fearless and confident though. Its his adaptation of the franchise, and its brilliant and amazing to millions even if it doesn't portray the Middle-Earth, its people and events in the same light than the creators envisioned.

Jacob

Really interesting article. I knew some of that but have long since lost any sources other than Wikipedia, so it's nice seeing it in more official form. Jackson's apparent self-criticism of King King jumped out because of the recent GAF thread about that film. :p Thanks for posting that, Dantes!

If I had made the Hobbit films, I'd be scared of showing them to the creator of the source works too.

:lol Seriously though, even with LOTR, I've never been able to wrap my head around why people think Tolkien would have liked it. None of his recorded opinions about pop culture or adaptations suggest that he would have. And I say this as someone who loves the LOTR films while recognizing their significant divergences from the book.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It's interesting that Peter openly admits his lack of knowledge regarding Tolkien's works, but then he has always relied on Philippa and Fran for that.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The LOTR movie's would likely startle Tolkien more than anything.
Tolkien wasn't wholly ignorant of films, especially considering his mauling of the Zimmerman script. From that we can deduce his potential opinions on the films; the depiction of the Nazgul and the Balrog in particular may have irked him. It should also be noted that he was alive at a time when the likes of Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur et al. were at the height of their popularity.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The 2016 Tolkien Calendar featuring artwork by Tove Jansson

61hCdY%2B6QQL.jpg

The Official Tolkien Calendar 2016 features illustrations from renowned artist, Tove Jansson, creator of The Moomins.

Jansson illustrated The Hobbit in 1961 for the Swedish and Finnish editions, creating a dozen enchanting full page drawings plus many smaller vignette pieces. Never before published in an English-language edition, the 2016 calendar contains all twelve of these illustrations, many of the vignettes, and a full-colour centrefold featuring her dramatic cover painting of Smaug attacking the Dwarves. The calendar is introduced by Tolkien expert and author Brian Sibley, who corresponded with the artist and provides insightful commentary regarding the genesis of the illustrations and Jansson’s tireless work continuing to build the world of The Moomins.

The Official Tolkien Calendar has been an established publishing event for Tolkien fans and Hobbit collectors for the last four decades, and the 2016 edition will continue to delight and surprise.
30 July 2016

MAY151765.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
We should be hearing more about the extended edition of The Battle of the Five Armies at the Comic-Con event. Nothing else should be expected, certainly not an announcement about future Middle-earth films. Although, you never know.

I would like to see the big 6 movie extended edition boxset but I guess they would like to promote Battle of the Five Armies alone before showing that.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I would like to see the big 6 movie extended edition boxset but I guess they would like to promote Battle of the Five Armies alone before showing that.
Yes, the six film edition is something to expect in 2016, rather than 2015. The extended edition of BOFTA will most likely be released in November.

Edmond Dantès;171371156 said:
Yes, the six film edition is something to expect in 2016, rather than 2015. The extended edition of BOFTA will most likely be released in November.
They might release teaser trailer for EE, I think DoS EE got trailer around sdcc last year.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Regarding future films, how would we all feel if a new film set in Middle-earth was announced? Ambivalence? Annoyance? Apprehension? Apathy even? Or a more positive outlook?

Turin

Banned
Depends on what they try to do.

I'd rather the fan fiction remain in video game form(I quite enjoyed Shadow of Mordor).

Edmond Dantès;171417217 said:
Regarding future films, how would we all feel if a new film set in Middle-earth was announced? Ambivalence? Annoyance? Apprehension? Apathy even? Or a more positive outlook?
I wouldn't mind IF they somehow could get at least one writer who could make script worthy of universe Tolkien created. It would be huge task to make story fitting the lore. I don't want just some fantasy movie with names and places from Middle earth, I want it to feel like LotR movies made me feel. (I know many have problems with those too)

Ixion

It depends on the story and the staff. If it's a Shadow of Mordor adaptation from Roland Emmerich, that would suck. Since Warner Bros only has rights to LOTR and The Hobbit, the best situation I can think of would be a bridge film centering on Aragorn that's directed/written by....someone good and knowledgable on the universe. PJ delivered with LOTR, but he's not the right man for the job anymore.

A CGI animated Hobbit film could be cool, but I don't see them doing that so soon.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A script written by someone other than the trio we know would be very interesting. We have only known the work of Peter, Fran and Philippa in the past 15 years or so and they have, of course, had the benefit of adapting existing fully realised material.

Quite a challenge in store for whoever (if it does ever happen) takes on the task.

Jacob

Any spin-off movies would really be fanfiction than adaptation so it'd be a different process no matter who was writing it. I'm not confident that a spin-off would be able to live up to the LOTR films at all, mainly out of a general skepticism of this emergent trend of cash-in spin-offs (maybe we could call it MCU envy?). If I'm pleasantly surprised by Fantastic Beasts or the Star Wars Anthology films my opinion about more Middle-earth movies might change, but I think The Hobbit films have proven that just going back to the same setting is not enough to make a good movie if the story itself is not as interesting as the original. And most of the bits of backstory that get discussed as potential future movies are just that: backstory that probably wouldn't be improved by being depicted in detail and real time.

Ixion

Any spin-off movies would really be fanfiction than adaptation so it'd be a different process no matter who was writing it. I'm not confident that a spin-off would be able to live up to the LOTR films at all

Yeah, don't get me wrong. While a bridge film is probably the best case scenario, even that I wouldn't be too excited about. If Warner Bros had the rights to all of Tolkien's works, then I'd think a Children of Hurin adaptation would get me the most excited. It's a great story that's more fleshed out than Beren & Luthien and more easily adaptable than the War of Wrath.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. While a bridge film is probably the best case scenario, even that I wouldn't be too excited about. If Warner Bros had the rights to all of Tolkien's works, then I'd think a Children of Hurin adaptation would get me the most excited. It's a great story that's more fleshed out than Beren & Luthien and more easily adaptable than the War of Wrath.

Children of Hurin is a super dark movie with a really depressing ending. No way they ever put that movie out without major changes. It would be hard to sell lunchboxes and Lego Children of Hurin games to kids.

Turin

Banned
If in the unlikely event that it happens in my liftetime, I'd hope they make the Children of Hurin with zero concern for what rating it's given.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Children of Hurin wouldn't really fit in the established tone of Middle-earth thus far. It would be a difficult sell to audiences. Plus, people will invariably ask, where are the hobbits?

The same was asked when The Silmarillion was released in 1977.

Turin

Banned
I think it would probably need a kind of cold visual flare. Similar to what you might see in some of David Fincher's films.

Just a random thought.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I think it would probably need a kind of cold visual flare. Similar to what you might see in some of David Fincher's films.

Just a random thought.
A director like Peter Weir could certainly do something quite excellent with a good script.
The only way Hurin would work is as an HBO series.
That would indeed be the best option. A six episode mini-series with backstory told via a prologue or orally throughout the narrative. It would be interesting to see the likes of Melkor and Sauron depicted in their primes and the degradation of Melkor's power until he was merely Morgoth the Dark Lord. Even then, the most powerful being in Middle-earth.

Middle-earth too would have to feel different; younger, greater and a sense of hope permeating the land.

The casting of Turin would also be key. But this speculation is of course all rather futile. The rights are secured, and will not be available for many, many decades.

The closest we'll get to a Turin film is the basis of Tolkien's story, his direct inspiration, and some scholars would say; a tale he stole directly from, even more shamelessly than his borrowing from the Völuspá (Dvergatal). That is Kullervo of Finnish myth.

Ixion

I don't think Children of Hurin needs to be a TV mini-series. There have been a bunch of great movies that follow a character over a long period of time, such as Forest Gump or a number of biopics. Yes, you won't be able to include everything from the book, but I think Turin's story can be told in a long feature film.

As for adapting the entire Silmarillion, I think it would be tricky any way you cut it. The Silmarillion's format is more conducive to TV, it's contents are ridiculously epic and require a feature film budget, and either way you're dealing with a story that's more of a history rather than a focused narrative.

It seems the general idea around here is to attempt a TV series far into the future (whenever the rights are available I suppose). Although by that time, I'm sure television, movies, and entertainment in general will be far, far different....full immersion VR Silmarillion anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom