• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby_fox

Banned
The only thing about Pichu is that the basis for his character in Smash is "low-budget, low-effort, intentionally bad character", and even if all that gets changed up, it would feel weird having him be paid DLC. I wouldn't have complained if he had been brought back as a joke character and total clone in the game's base roster, though - but I don't see much point in including him otherwise. I think Wolf is the only cut veteran we will see as DLC.

Put Pichu with Saffron City and I bet people will be happy to buy in.

I don't think Pichu would need to be a joke character anymore. Especially if Pichu is tied to Plusle and Minun who have no business being a joke. Even in Melee, Pichu wasn't even the worst of Melee.

Also, Jigglypuff was a joke character in 64 and then evolved over time to be a proper character.

And for "low effort" Pichu actually has more unique animations than Young Link, Doc and Falco. He has two taunts, an idle animation, victory animations and a completely unique up smash. Doc doesn't even have 3 unique victory animations in Melee lol.

There's room on the roster for a faster, lighter Pikachu. The self hurt could be toned down a bit, and Pichu could have a few moves changed to make him feel more unique. Agility, for example, feels like it could work more like Lucario's extreme speed. Pichu can't even learn Skull Bash, so they could make up an entirely new move for that.

EulaCapra

Motherfucking yes! Fake or not, keep the rumors coming! My favorite part.

I'm totally okay with this rumor no matter how much I'm not really believing it. Isaac and especially Dixie Kong are a long time coming.

Put Pichu with Saffron City and I bet people will be happy to buy in.

Poke Floats begs to differ, we just need at least 1 dlc stage that's downright bullcrap, but still fun. But that stage's song is already in the game with Pokemon Stadium 2, so 2nd best melee stage will never return.

kirby_fox

Banned
Poke Floats begs to differ, we just need at least 1 dlc stage that's downright bullcrap, but still fun. But that stage's song is already in the game with Pokemon Stadium 2, so 2nd best melee stage will never return.

It'd be Poke Floats 2 if it ever happened. Stage never returned because all the pokemon just used the trophies and scaled them bigger.

Some of those Pokemon don't even look like that anymore (Squirtle and Psyduck for example).

It was a lazy stage made from recycled N64 models because HAL made Pokemon Stadium and had them handy and apparently couldn't think of a better Pokemon stage than an abstract concept of N64 models floating over a pink cloud.

Avalugg as the Omega though would be fun, though. Maybe if they get rid of the abstract concept and actually model balloons of Pokemon with strings and stuff and have them parade over Saffron City, that would look awesome. Just ripped Stadium models over a bland sky though... eh.

If we go by music, Saffron City and Spear Pillar are the only two Pokemon stages. And even then, Spear Pillar has one song that isn't used (Wild Pokemon Battle Diamond and Pearl V1), the "main" theme of the stage is used (the Dialga/Palkia theme). Saffron suffers from really, really old Pokemon sprites.

Fourside has plenty of music to use, a similar layout to Saffron City and would be a better addition :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
say, question about foreign voice acting (Europe in particular)

Did Pokemon get their respective unique voice there, particularly Jigglypuff and Greninja? I know WFT have their own languages and even the UK one has their own version rather than using the US voices.

They could really troll with Pikachu Libre

Start off the trailer showing Pikachu Libre and pretending she's a new comer, but then fake it out by showing Mario Maker Mario and Melee Fox and introduce DLC character costumes.

Please give us DLC costumes Sakurai :(

Ryce

It was a lazy stage made from recycled N64 models because HAL made Pokemon Stadium and had them handy and apparently couldn't think of a better Pokemon stage than an abstract concept of N64 models floating over a pink cloud.
Poké Floats could have been a last minute replacement for the cut Sprout Tower.

Some of those Pokemon don't even look like that anymore (Squirtle and Psyduck for example).

Avalugg as the Omega though would be fun, though. Maybe if they get rid of the abstract concept and actually model balloons of Pokemon with strings and stuff and have them parade over Saffron City, that would look awesome. Just ripped Stadium models over a bland sky though... eh.
According to Source Gaming, Sprout Tower from Gold & Silver was originally intended to be a stage in Melee, so I'm thinking something happened later in development that required them to shift plans rapidly which led to the creation of comparatively simple Poké Floats. Here's the original Japanese page for the source. Google translate shows that Sakurai's statement on it is about a quarter of the way down the page, responding to, I believe, someone saying that Lavender Town should have been a stage, or something to that effect.

I kind of wonder what a Sprout Tower stage would be like. I mean, it could have taken place on top, but Sprout Tower really didn't have much of an established outer design at that point. The most iconic part of the tower is probably the wobbling beam on the inside, so I would think it would be built around that, somehow. Oh well.

EDIT: Ryce scooped me.

colorlust

But what vets? After Wolf, none really jump out as obvious.

Snake is weird licensing nonsense, Ice Climbers are technical issues, and Squirtle/Ivysaur/Pichu are not all that popular and are more Pokemon DLC.

The more I think about Agent 3, the more I realize it's the perfect Splatoon rep.

- It solves the issue of different gear. Agent 3 only has one uniform and one gun. Access to three different grenades opens the moveset up as well.
- Alt colors wouldn't be as complicated as Inkling, instead being recolors to the gear, hair, skin tone and gender, versus entirely different outfits and hats.
- Agent 3 is visually different from the Mii costume and older Splatoon Amiibo.
- At its core, Agent 3 is a playable Inkling, but rooted into a specific character with a consistent costume, which makes it easier to make individual.

That all makes a lot of sense to me too, but I think branding wise it would just make more sense to call the character Inkling even if it is specifically modeled after Agent 3. I always imagined the hypothetical Inkling character as a similar slot to Villager, 4 male and 4 female, with slight variance (probably just hair color and t-shirt design to keep the same hitbox) I would like to see them in the game for sure, but it seems like an awful big development commitment for a DLC one-off. I also just don't know how fun they would be to play without being able to ink everything and move through the ink as a squid.

Neoxon

But what vets? After Wolf, none really jump out as obvious.

Snake is weird licensing nonsense, Ice Climbers are technical issues, and Squirtle/Ivysaur/Pichu are not all that popular and are more Pokemon DLC.

The more I think about Agent 3, the more I realize it's the perfect Splatoon rep.

- It solves the issue of different gear. Agent 3 only has one uniform and one gun. Access to three different grenades opens the moveset up as well.
- Alt colors wouldn't be as complicated as Inkling, instead being recolors to the gear, hair, skin tone and gender, versus entirely different outfits and hats.
- At its core, Agent 3 is a playable Inkling, but rooted into a specific character with a consistent costume, which makes it easier to make individual.
Actually, Agent 3 also has the Hero Charger & the Hero Roller as per the Amiibo Missions.

I really can't see them using Agent 3 over a normal multiplayer Inkling. I mean, it's not impossible, but so much of Splatoon's branding and image comes from the standard Inklings and the game is very much so built around its multiplayer. For Smash's Splatoon representative to be taken from what essentially amounts to a comparatively small side mode would be strange and I don't think Nintendo would be okay with it in a brand momentum perspective.

A playable Splatoon rep would be the standard orange female Inkling as default with the standard blue male Inkling as the first alt. I can't see anything else happening.

EulaCapra

So to those playing catch up, whole rumor today with Wolf, Snake, Isaac, and Dixie Kong is a long 4chan post chronicling the author named "Mad" who said fuck it with Nintendo secrets after the Chris Pranger firing. I'll save you the hassle of linking the ad-prone site. Some noteworthy things he said:

- Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water is getting delayed to 2016. I don't know why but it probably has something to not have it take away sales from their holiday hits like Star Fox Zero.
- Star Fox Zero is apparently getting a graphical revamp due to complaints. It's set for a release in early September.
- Splatoon is getting new updates of course. One that I find particularly interesting involves a new weapon called the Ink Dripper. It involves starting a special pool of ink that will automatically refill the ink of your teammates if they stand on it. Unfortunately the weapon has no offensive capabilities and you can only have one special puddle of ink at a time. It comes with Splat Bombs and the Kraken.
- Metroid Prime: Federation Force is apparently making big overhauls to the story of the game due to negative press. I heard they wanted to give Samus a bigger role. Apparently they don't plan to support the game with major updates due to the higher ups thinking its a lost cause.
- [regarding Smash] Snake is the same. I have yet to see all other characters in action.
- Directs are still going to be a thing, but they will be specific to the regions.
- And finally I'll just say that Game Cube virtual console is not planned. The reason being that they do not want to go into every game and fiddle with things just to change the memory card menus around. It was deemed too expensive to be worth it.
- [I assume it was a response to question of what the NX is] It is an online [subscription] service to let you play all Nintendo games on both Wii U and 3DS. You'll have to pay for it. Nintendo is planning to release a cheap hardware that will be entirely based on this new service, without disc drive.
- Everything I said will be in next month's ND. Look forward to it.
So Fatal Frame not releasing come Halloween time, an even newer Splatoon weapon not even listed in the upcoming data-mined weapons list, no Gamecube Wii U VC, and a major Star Fox Zero visual overhaul post-June E3 reception is still set to release in September. Well okay then!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"- Star Fox Zero is apparently getting a graphical revamp due to complaints. It's set for a release in early September."

You cannot make a fake leak and post a contradictory statement like this one two sentences into your text dump.

colorlust

Has Nintendo Direct information ever actually leaked? People seem to claim very frequently that they know everything from an upcoming Direct but as far as I know, that has never actually happened.

Muzy72

Banned
Has Nintendo Direct information ever actually leaked? People seem to claim very frequently that they know everything from an upcoming Direct but as far as I know, that has never actually happened.
Nope, never. This past April some people were claiming that someone leaked the April Direct, but in reality the "leaker" just made some really obvious guesses lol. Everyone conveniently ignores half the shit that was complete BS.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So to those playing catch up, whole rumor today with Wolf, Snake, Isaac, and Dixie Kong is a long 4chan post chronicling the author named "Mad" who said fuck it with Nintendo secrets after the Chris Pranger firing. I'll save you the hassle of linking the ad-prone site. Some noteworthy things he said:

So Fatal Frame not releasing come Halloween time, an even newer Splatoon weapon not even listed in the upcoming data-mined weapons list, no Gamecube Wii U VC, and a major Star Fox Zero visual overhaul post-June E3 reception is still set to release in September. Well okay then!

As I suspected, it's full of shit.

Tyeforce

I'm still rooting for this, even though the "leaks" that mention it are clearly BS.

backlot

Best part of this leak is that Fatal Frame is getting delayed so that Star Fox can have the holidays to itself but also Star Fox is not going to be out by the holidays.

Who doesn't enjoy a good fake text leak from 4Chan?

mUvVfc3.png

This is the second time Agent 3 has been mentioned. The other time was that dude who claimed to be a friend of the original ESRB leaker.

Late October would be absurd.
Nothing against Isaac but I really doubt his chances after how long ago (and relatively disliked) Golden Sun 3 was and his apparent irrelevance to the Japanese playerbase, though for all I know that Japanese AMA guy was talking out of his ass.

That being said having motherfucking Snake back alongside Wolf and Dixie would be tits. Agent 3 and Isaac is just icing on the cake. I mean it's /v/, so take it with a truckload of salt, but if it somehow winds up being true I'd be really happy besides wishing for another DKC stage that wasn't just more fucking jungles.

EDIT: I swear I remember reading SF0 was meant to be releasing around November. Even if there isn't anything saying that, a game getting an enormous graphical overhaul in a couple months before release sounds unlikely, especially when the reason for the 'meh' style is rendering two screens at once so uh... Are they just scrapping that aspect, which was the entire reason for the game existing in the first place?

I'm watching this 500 hour marathon of Metal Gear and this dude's fighting a boss and I immediately recognized the music from Brawl and now I miss Snake :(
I didn't really miss him all that much, but hearing familiar music made me miss all the music that got cut.

I also didn't realize there was an 8-bit rip from Metal Gear 2. I just listened to the opening, didn't like it, and turned it way down.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't see how Agent 3 or any Splatoon character can happen in Smash U/3DS. It'd require SO MUCH to put that character in. You'd basically have to make a 2D Splatoon just for Smash Bros. which is insane.

I don't see how Agent 3 or any Splatoon character can happen in Smash U/3DS. It'd require SO MUCH to put that character in. You'd basically have to make a 2D Splatoon just for Smash Bros. which is insane.
Nah, it won't work like that, even if the console power was there. It'd be too complex.

Anyway
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/22/japantopdlcpart1/

We were just talking about Pichu!

Maybe I'm secretly Japanese, because all of their popular characters are more in line with what I want, instead of what I usually see in America. Waddle Dee, Paper Mario and Pichu would be great.

Fandangox

Not really, there are probably other ways to make the Ink mechanic work on a fighting game without having to replicate how it exactly works on Splatoon.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/22/japantopdlcpart1/

We were just talking about Pichu!

Maybe I'm secretly Japanese, because all of their popular characters are more in line with what I want, instead of what I usually see in America. Waddle Dee, Paper Mario and Pichu would be great.

Just read through that and got to this part:
Q: How are you counting votes?

A: Manually. I’m reading discussion boards, tweets (and eventually) Miiverse posts. I give points to that character based on the content of that message. If the user feels they are highly likely, I increase the number of points. For tweets, I look at retweets and favorites too. For every straight mention I gave 2 points. If the user felt like they were less likely than I gave the character 1 point. This is why vote counting is taking so long. I’m hoping to measure more “perception” than straight data.
What the heck kind of data collection is that? They don't even mention if they make sure the posts are from unique individuals (e.g. it's entirely possible a vocal few could inflate these numbers just by posting a lot, especially if they're delusional because apparently fanaticism makes it worth more points o_O ) I'm usually dubious at best about non-official data but this person apparently isn't even interested in actual demand, just 'perceived' demand using rather nebulous and fluffy metrics :/

Just read through that and got to this part:

What the heck kind of data collection is that? They don't even mention if they make sure the posts are from unique individuals (e.g. it's entirely possible a vocal few could inflate these numbers just by posting a lot, especially if they're delusional because apparently fanaticism makes it worth more points o_O ) I'm usually dubious at best about non-official data but this person apparently isn't even interested in actual demand, just 'perceived' demand using rather nebulous and fluffy metrics :/

OP here.

On a site like 2ch it's essentially impossible to see if the posts are from different people. Furthermore, I used a ton of different blogs and articles, so people could be posting multiple times on different sites. It would be no different if some Japanese user tried measure the outcry for Smash characters in English. The posters didn't leave their contact information so it's not like I can ask them :p

I'm trying to measure the "outcry" on the Internet, as that's the only thing that is practically measurable. It's impossible to actually try to measure the real demand, as we don't have access to the actual ballot data. Most polls are hijacked by a single community. With that in mind, I'm at least trying to use as many sources as possible in order to avoid bias in my results which is why these are only the tentative results.

Zubz

Banned

You know who is insane? Sakurai. I really want him to take a break for the sake of his health, but if he wants to add an Inkling, he might see the ink mechanic as a personal challenge, instead of a developmental hurdle.

Well, I guess I should say I agree with the Japanese people on their "realistic" wants, but secretly I want Blaziken, Beast Ganon and Dark Samus the most. But I've generally settled on much more realistic wants.

Hey, I'm riding the Ridley train long after it fell of the tracks, off a cliff, and into the sea. Follow your dreams, man! Those're all good picks!

Golnei

Well, I guess I should say I agree with the Japanese people on their "realistic" wants, but secretly I want Blaziken, Beast Ganon and Dark Samus the most. But I've generally settled on much more realistic wants.

If you're referring to 2D/OoT Ganon and not the actual Beast Ganon; you're not really pushing for anything too impossible. He's probably the only other Zelda representative that'd make sense as something relevant across the entire series; still being featured in recent games (and being playable for the first time in Hyrule Warriors) doesn't necessarily hurt his chances either. Zelda's also falling into the Brawl Mario gap of missing out on additional playable representation with the current games, so for a series of its stature at least one newcomer should be a relatively safe bet for the next game. Hopefully there's still room for Ganon after Tingle, Toon Zelda, Lana and Agitha make it in...

OP here.

On a site like 2ch it's essentially impossible to see if the posts are from different people. Furthermore, I used a ton of different blogs and articles, so people could be posting multiple times on different sites. It would be no different if some Japanese user tried measure the outcry for Smash characters in English. The posters didn't leave their contact information so it's not like I can ask them :p

I'm trying to measure the "outcry" on the Internet, as that's the only thing that is practically measurable. It's impossible to actually try to measure the real demand, as we don't have access to the actual ballot data. Most polls are hijacked by a single community. With that in mind, I'm at least trying to use as many sources as possible in order to avoid bias in my results which is why these are only the tentative results.
Heh, sorry if I come across as somewhat harsh but people tend to latch on to things like your poll and wave it around as if it's the hard data that Sakurai himself is using so I always get irked easily by any perceived loopholes in them.
As you say, any kind of data on the interwebs is inherently unreliable and vulnerable to exploitation by more... uh... 'passionate' fans so I hope Nintendo is at least tracking IPs at a bare minimum for their own ballot. I know it's not a 'competition' but I'd hate for them to see inflated number only a minority want.

By all means, I should be happy with your findings because Ashley's in the top 20 but realistically I don't think she will have got many actual votes due to most people who may have given her some love writing her off as a valid option thanks to her assist trophy and I suspect the Ashley fans are another one of those more vocal bunches based on the vitriol from the assist reveal :s

I appreciate that you've mentioned in your own Q&A and this post that you're measuring what the japanese 'voice' is rather than stating it's actual numerical interest but I don't think the fine print is going to stop some posters from just proclaiming it as 'as good as the ballot' for their means :p

The thought of Pichu coming back makes me laugh a little, haha. He was the perfect joke fighter.

And if he was added back, the nice thing is that Samus wouldn't have to worry about being considered the worst character anymore. :p

Considering how good Pikachu is in Smash 4, a faster, lighter Pikachu might actually not be all that low tier. Pichu isn't even consistently considered the worst in Melee.

Considering how good Pikachu is in Smash 4, a faster, lighter Pikachu might actually not be all that low tier. Pichu isn't even consistently considered the worst in Melee.

That's true, actually. Kirby is the worst (somehow worst than the guy who literally hurts himself every time he attacks).

It would be funny in a really surreal kind of way if someone like Pichu managed to be at least midtier while Mewtwo is still stuck at the bottom.

This was posted in the Pokken thread
Am I the only one disappointed that the random character isn't a Ditto that transforms into a random character as the match begins?

And it had me thinking Ditto would be a pretty fun character. Not as a random button replacement, but rather for literal "Ditto" matches.

If you pick Ditto, when the battle begins, you transform into a character an enemy is using. In 1v1 that's always the opponent, but things get interesting in larger matches because it would be random. Only Ditto matches would randomly select a character that all Dittos would use.

It'd be a neat little mechanic masked in a in-universe way and a fairly easy character to add to the game because it wouldn't need to be balanced or anything. The CSS could even have alt colors that would show up in the battle entrance and victory screen and would also be used to determine what number color the "clone" uses.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Now that is a much better interpretation of Ditto. Dito as a random figure is just weird and something only Melee spouted.

So yea, Ditto

8 Colors
- Light Purple
- Dark Blue (not shiny)
- Orange
- Light Brown with Yellow Eyes ("sandy" Ditto)
- Black with white eyes
- Pink (classic colors)
- Aqua (not shiny)
- Dark Purple with White Eyes (Muk colored)

Ditto has
- A unique stock icon
- His symbol is always a Pokeball
- Unique victory animations
- A unique Final Smash
- Unique taunts
- Unique pain and death sounds
- Unique star KO and screen splat animations

Ditto has no moves of his own. Upon entering battle, Ditto appears, wiggles around a bit, and in a puff of smoke (the Stadium animation for Transform), Ditto transforms into a random enemy. Ditto retains 100% of the characters moveset and mechanics and visual appearance. Ditto uses whatever palette slot matches the one he picked. If it's the same as the enemy, he appears brighter like in FG. This includes all equipment, custom moves, everything. Ditto retains his stock icon and Pokeball symbol. This form stays with Ditto every life, he cannot switch forms after death. Ditto retains all of the character's voice lines as well, except all of them are pitch shifted up, as if they had picked up a poison mushroom. Ditto has unique pain sounds, however.

Ditto has unique taunts. When taunting, a puff of smoke appears, Ditto appears in his normal form, taunts and immediately goes right back to being the other character in a puff of smoke.

Taunts
- Ditto appears and starts laughing uncontrollably while his body changes shape rapidly. Ditto cannot hold his form while laughing according to the dex.
- Ditto appears, wiggles around and then sneezes, looking sad but then smiling again. The dex never says it, but I don't think it can hold its form while sneezing.
- "Clefairy" appears, spins around and wags its finger as a star darts over its head. Has a Ditto face (obviously).

Victory Animations
- A "Charmander's" back is turned to us. It turns around revealing a Ditto face (camera focus here), and then does the Pokemon Snap Charmander dance on a loop.
- "Tyranitar" roars (camera focus here), and then in a puff of smoke, appears a laughing Ditto.
- Ditto transforms into a cube, a pyramid and then a sphere (camera focus here), and then bounces around.

Final Smash: Hyper Beam
- In a puff of smoke, appears "Tyranitar" with a Ditto face. "Tyranitar" unleashes a huge horizontal beam from its mouth, which is aimable. Similar to Samus' Final Smash. At the end, "Tyranitar" roars and then a puff of smoke back to whatever character Ditto was.

In single player modes, Ditto will always copy the player character (always 1P in co-op), to remove a random element from All Star or Classic. If Ditto plays all star, he just copies a random character from the first three that spawn and keep that form in the All Star rest room until the next match where he transforms again. All Star is efficient with how characters load and unload, so I think this is probably the only way it would work. At the credits minigame, it just picks a random character.

Ditto would have the same three trophies everyone has and the game would treat Ditto exactly the same as any other character.

According to the dex, Ditto makes a perfect copy of something if it can see it. Its face only appears if it has to copy from memory, which is why this will work without needing everyone's face to be replaced, which wouldn't work at all. The anime is wrong in this regard, Ditto is always a perfect copy unless it's distracted or doesn't remember the form well.

Why did I spend 20 minutes on a write up for a joke gimmick character that won't happen? Oh well, off to copy and paste to the ballot lol.

Zubz

Banned
Why did I spend 20 minutes on a write up for a joke gimmick character that won't happen? Oh well, off to copy and paste to the ballot lol.

I don't know, but if Joe didn't have me wanting Ditto as the Pokkén equivalent of Charade, now you have me wanting Ditto in both Pokkén and Smash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom