• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Omen Trailer

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
SOVrzqW.gif
I feel like teleportation dodges not working must be the shittiest way to get hurt/die in this series, you tried to teleport and it didn't save you. Your final thought would be
"Are you kidding me dude this is bullshit."

sappyday

I've seen it twice, and I still don't have an answer the question of who Regis was speaking with. I personally don't think it is the crystal, because there is nothing in Kingsglaive that alludes to the crystal being (or containing) an evil entity. In fact, the opposite is suggested.

When the crystal is stolen by the Niflheim kingdom, Regis says quite confidently to Niflheim's emperor that he will not be able to convince the crystal to work for him. If the crystal is evil, why wouldn't someone who is also nefarious be able to form some kind of alliance with it?

Also, in the beginning of the Omen trailer, Luna tells Noctis that the crystal's goal is to find the "King of Light" who will purge their star of its scourge. Unless she is completely wrong about that, it sounds like that crystal is good.

This is some other entity Regis is speaking with, most likely. I think, like others have suggested, he is speaking to
Ardyn
. If you look back at some of the previous trailers, there are clues to this.
Personally I still think it's the crystal. I think the Lucis family are actually gonna be revealed to be the "bad guys" even though they're pretty good people (at least now they are) while Niflheim is the opposite. I know it's not Versus anymore but i think that was what Nomura was going for and it's something I believe they carried over.

Personally I still think it's the crystal. I think the Lucis family are actually gonna be revealed to be the "bad guys" even though they're pretty good people (at least now they are) while Niflheim is the opposite. I know it's not Versus anymore but i think that was what Nomura was going for and it's something I believe they carried over.

Yeah I have thought about this. It is interesting.

The crystal could be corrupted or something or the crystals were just a blight to humanity.

All in all the game is so close I can't really speculate so much anymore. I used to be able to go on for days about theories and shit but now that it is so close, let's just wait this month out.

TLS Lex

This is my theory too. It's one of the reasons I was a little disappointed when they changed Regis's design, because he previously had the look of something akin to the head of a crime family rather than the current "king who looks like an old wise king". I mean I don't think his new design is bad by any means, I just preferred the old one.

With all the background stuff from Kingsglaive and prior trailers (i.e. everything seems to say that the root of the power Noctis has access to isn't exactly the friendliest kind of power, without spoiling too much) I'd be surprised if the Empire's motives weren't at least without reason.

I would actually like that more. Thinking that you are the good guy while in reality you are the villain could be really cool if it's done right. One game has already done it amazingly but I don't know how I can say its name without spoiling it so I won't. *hint it's a TPS*

I just hope that if XV indeed tries to go down that route then they manage to pull it off as good as that game did.

LordKasual

Banned
I would actually like that more. Thinking that you are the good guy while in reality you are the villain could be really cool if it's done right. One game has already done it amazingly but I don't know how I can say its name without spoiling it so I won't. *hint it's a TPS*

I just hope that if XV indeed tries to go down that route then they manage to pull it off as good as that game did.

I'm getting that vibe as well, something tells me the power that Lucis draws on is somewhat linked to the existence of the Daemons.

I'd be cool with that twist. It feels like XIV is going down that route too. Although if that's the case, the Nifs don't seem to have any ambitions of greater goodness as shown thus far.

MartyStu

Got a lot of FFXII vibes from that trailer. Probably due to the enemy soldier armor design and that Occuria-like voice near the end.

I really hope this turns out good. And eventually comes out on PC.

luckyguess

Neo Member

Problem with this theory is that it was Luna herself who informed Noctis that the crystal was good, in the beginning of that trailer. So, either she is in on it, or she was also tricked. So, in your theory, who would put a stop to Noctis or believe he was in the wrong?

Also, in the TGS trailer, there's a scene where Arden is trying to help Noctis ascend to his "King of Light" status, because he says he'd take no pleasure in killing him before that point.

Kinda fits with what the voice was saying about wanting to see one more person die before being satisfied.

sappyday

Problem with this theory is that it was Luna herself who informed Noctis that the crystal was good, in the beginning of that trailer. So, either she is in on it, or she was also tricked. So, in your theory, who would put a stop to Noctis or believe he was in the wrong?

Also, in the TGS trailer, there's a scene where Arden is trying to help Noctis ascend to his "King of Light" status, because he says he'd take no pleasure in killing him before that point.

Kinda fits with what the voice was saying about wanting to see one more person die before being satisfied.

She never mentions the crystal is good, only that it's purpose is to find the true king. There were more than 1 crystal in this world. I'm assuming Tenebrea and Niflheim had one, so it's possible that their crystals were the regular crystals of light. So maybe the general assumption by Kid Luna is that Lucis has a crystal of light. But the only person who would know what kind of crystal it is would be Regis.

If it's Ardyn speaking then how would an evil entity be able to speak through a light crystal? I don't think Ardyn is just able to casually to speak to Regis wherever, the omen trailer made it obvious the source of the voice is where the crystal is. When Regis speaks to himself he's outside. The voice could be Ardyn but I think it just proves that it's a dark crystal more if it is him.

When the voice mentions who he wants dead I think it's Luna. Luna is probably key to making sure Noctis actually becomes the King of Light, and not a King of Chaos. That has to be why she's so eager to reach Noctis and make sure he follows her destiny since it's also her destiny. She wouldn't shut up about it in KG. Cause in the Omen trailer Luna was also trying to find Noctis, but since she never did he ended up becoming the thing that kills her.

I don't have much evidence to prove against it being a good/light crystal so you could be right. But I see just a lot more pointing to it being a dark crystal.

-
The Lucis crystal is dark blue/purple opposed to it being light blue like most of the light crystals in the series.
- The crystal gives the Lucis family immense power but at a tremendous cost. Like halving the life span of its ruler. Or causing you to hear stuff in your head. Or coughing up some black stuff (Kingsglaive). This is the typical stuff you get when you have a deal with the devil, or in this case Chaos.
- The first major spell you get from ring is literally a Death spell.
- The cosmology book shows a person who looks a lot like
Ardyn.
. He's obviously not good.
- The whole black clothing and Lucis symbols being reapers.

Yea and Tabata specifically mentioned that game as an inspiration.

Is it November 29 yet? I've been watching this trailer over and over again. Plus people who have had no interest in this game before really got into it when I showed them this trailer.

Personally I still think it's the crystal. I think the Lucis family are actually gonna be revealed to be the "bad guys" even though they're pretty good people (at least now they are) while Niflheim is the opposite.

Something stuck out to me in Kingsglaive,
Iedolas mentions how all his cities pale in comparison to Insomnia, which would make Insomnia quite a place to rule over, yet they don't seem interested much in it at all. Their purpose was the crystal(and the Ring of the Lucii). I also recall Iedolas referring to Insomnia as an "accursed city". Maybe there IS more to Lucis's past dealings than we are lead to believe.

I know it's not Versus anymore but i think that was what Nomura was going for and it's something I believe they carried over.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Arkeband

Banned
She never mentions the crystal is good, only that it's purpose is to find the true king. There were more than 1 crystal in this world. I'm assuming Tenebrea and Niflheim had one, so it's possible that their crystals were the regular crystals of light. So maybe the general assumption by Kid Luna is that Lucis has a crystal of light. But the only person who would know what kind of crystal it is would be Regis.

If it's Ardyn speaking then how would an evil entity be able to speak through a light crystal? I don't think Ardyn is just able to casually to speak to Regis wherever, the omen trailer made it obvious the source of the voice is where the crystal is. When Regis speaks to himself he's outside. The voice could be Ardyn but I think it just proves that it's a dark crystal more if it is him.

When the voice mentions who he wants dead I think it's Luna. Luna is probably key to making sure Noctis actually becomes the King of Light, and not a King of Chaos. That has to be why she's so eager to reach Noctis and make sure he follows her destiny since it's also her destiny. She wouldn't shut up about it in KG. Cause in the Omen trailer Luna was also trying to find Noctis, but since she never did he ended up becoming the thing that kills her.

I don't have much evidence to prove against it being a good/light crystal so you could be right. But I see just a lot more pointing to it being a dark crystal.

-
The Lucis crystal is dark blue/purple opposed to it being light blue like most of the light crystals in the series.
- The crystal gives the Lucis family immense power but at a tremendous cost. Like halving the life span of its ruler. Or causing you to hear stuff in your head. Or coughing up some black stuff (Kingsglaive). This is the typical stuff you get when you have a deal with the devil, or in this case Chaos.
Ardyn.

Yea and Tabata specifically mentioned that game as an inspiration.

Based on that TGS trailer scene where Ardyn is
mocking Noctis who is struggling to break out of a crystal prison, this could be close to the plot. If they went a Warriors of Darkness route, that would be an interesting foil to the Warriors of Light depictions they keep invoking from FF1.

sappyday

Something stuck out to me in Kingsglaive,
Iedolas mentions how all his cities pale in comparison to Insomnia, which would make Insomnia quite a place to rule over, yet they don't seem interested much in it at all. Their purpose was the crystal(and the Ring of the Lucii). I also recall Iedolas referring to Insomnia as an "accursed city". Maybe there IS more to Lucis's past dealings than we are lead to believe.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

That's exactly the quote that kept popping into my head.

I think I understand Regis conversation with that mysterious voice.
When the voice says it's looking forward to one more death, I think it means Regis'. He must die so the omen won't come to pass. Regis then asks the gods to forgive him, because with his death, there will be no barrier. Lucis will fall.

sappyday

I think I understand Regis conversation with that mysterious voice.
When the voice says it's looking forward to one more death, I think it means Regis'. He must die so the omen won't come to pass. Regis then asks the gods to forgive him, because with his death, there will be no barrier. Lucis will fall.

The omen implies that Insomnia falls.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
So i havent kept up with final fantasy 15 with trailers etc, thinking I'll dodge this one as well prob because it may be somewhat spoilery and I havent went into a game blind/blackout in a long time. What is the general consensus with this game right now?

sappyday

So i havent kept up with final fantasy 15 with trailers etc, thinking I'll dodge this one as well prob because it may be somewhat spoilery and I havent went into a game blind/blackout in a long time. What is the general consensus with this game right now?

Big turn around from earlier this year. E3 and the gamescon footage/delay made a lot think it was gonna be a wreck. However, with the way they were able to upgrade the game after its delay and the amount of positive impressions we've gotten from journalist and regular gamers have regained a lot hope.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Big turn around from earlier this year. E3 and the gamescon footage/delay made a lot think it was gonna be a wreck. However, with the way they were able to upgrade the game after its delay and the amount of positive impressions we've gotten from journalist and regular games have regained a lot hope.

thanks, slowly getting excited but going to remain away from the game, last time I had a game shock and aew me was the first bioshock. Came out of left field and still one of my fav games. However I may watch the brotherhood and Kingslave just to get the background story

thanks, slowly getting excited but going to remain away from the game, last time I had a game shock and aew me was the first bioshock. Came out of left field and still one of my fav games. However I may watch the brotherhood and Kingslave just to get the background story
Not to butt in or anything but I believe that you should at least watch the Omen trailer since it's basically
possibly most likely
a what if version where Noctis traveled alone. It's also a pretty sock trailer.

I feel like teleportation dodges not working must be the shittiest way to get hurt/die in this series, you tried to teleport and it didn't save you. Your final thought would be

Well, at least he didn't get telefragged, which usually happens if two objects try to exist in one place at once. Probably the worst teleport disaster ever in a videogame that I ran to is from a game called Crusader No Remorse. If a teleporter says "OUT OF ORDER" it means it!
teleporter mishaps basically turn you inside out and all that is left is your bones and a puddle of your organs.

Nya

Can you PM me the game you're talking about?

That TPS game wouldn't happen to be (SUPER SPOILER!)
Spec Ops: The Line
would it? It's the only game I can think of right now.

EDIT: Or it may well be
The Last of Us
also.

Can you PM me the game you're talking about?

Me too, please!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The game they're talking about is obviously Donkey Kong.

Mario thought he was the hero......... he was wrong :(

I hope Son of Sparda was talking about The Last of Us cause that's what I was referring to.

Whaaa I thought you were talking about
Spec Ops:The Line
too

In the Last of Us
Joel isn't a bad guy particularly, that's how almost every adult is in this world.He does those things in order to survire

where in the case of Spec Ops
the protagonist does those because he is ordered to, without knowing much and believing in what he does as good

which I think is more in line with FFXV

luckyguess

Neo Member
Alright, you gave me a lot to reply to. I'll have to break this up.

She does imply the crystal is good. She says the crystal's purpose was to anoint the "True King", and the True King's purpose was to blight out the "scourge" that plagued their star. I don't know how else to interpret that other than the crystal being allied with good.

You do have a point that there was more than one crystal, but since they've been gone for a while now, they're irrelevant to Luna's standing prophecy.Your theory makes Luna out to be a rather poor oracle, plying Noctis with misinformation, based on guesses.

The trailer is a bit tricky because the voice is heard as Regis is standing in front of the crystal, which gives the impression that it's coming from the crystal. But you can see that when we hear Regis replying, his lips aren't moving. That makes me think he is just thinking back on a conversation that happened in the past. I don't think he has to be near the crystal in order for
Ardyn (assuming it's him)
to speak with him. However, the power provided by the crystal allows Regis to speak to beings from other realms, as demonstrated in Kingsglaive.

This could very well be true. Final Fantasy stories are known for their twists. If everything I said proves to be true, then the plot is pretty straight forward and predictable.I'm not saying I don't prefer your theories, just that they don't make a great deal of sense, based on some of the things said by some of the characters so far. I'm hoping neither one of us has it right, and there's an even more interesting twist coming that we don't see coming.

-
Ardyn.

"...there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

That's the Shakespearean quote the original concept of the game was based upon. Therefore, providing preconceived notions of what represents evil as logic for why the Lucians must be the bad guys goes against the game's mantra.

Koozek

From Mognet's @Ikkin, whew:
1) FFXV’s trend of highlighting Noct’s vulnerability clearly remains in full effect in the Omen trailer. In this case, though, there’s a conscious effort to show him being stripped – most obviously of his clothes, but also his powers and his mind. Without his friends, the trailer seems to say, Noct is easy prey for the black dog.

2) The black dog is not Umbra – Umbra appears as Pryna’s reflection, likely represents Noct, and looks different from the black dog. Rather, the black dog is likely meant to be taken as a hellhound; it clearly reflects some of the requisite mythological baggage. The black dog has glowing red eyes, it’s a herald of death, and it’s shown three times in Pryna’s place (some of the hellhound myths say that it takes three sightings for its curse to take effect).

Character-wise, I suspect that the black dog represents Ardyn, who’s already been shown to be a false ally turned traitor and whose black wing-cape-thingy aligns him with FFXV’s take on Reapers. As such, it seems like the dynamic in the game will have to be different – Noct’s friends can keep him from being led astray unknowingly.

3) While Noct’s friends clearly change the underlying dynamic, I don’t think we’re meant to see the events of the Omen trailer as wholly hypothetical. There are a number of references to scenes we know are going to happen in the game, after all – the invasion of Altissia, most obviously, but also the fights at the train station and in the Niflheim base, and the way Noct’s trip takes him through the Coernix gas station.

As such, I suspect that the fights that we haven’t seen in previous trailers will likewise appear, if in a different form. There’s nothing particularly unbelievable about Noct and co. facing off against a Behemoth in a palace or Niflheim soldiers on a railway bridge, after all. Fighting Luna would be the most questionable if it weren’t the very thing that we’re supposed to be trying to prevent. Changing fate always happens at the eleventh hour in fiction, regardless of any and all previous attempts; if keeping Noct from falling to madness and killing Luna is the goal, then it has to happen during that fight.

(It’s worth noting that Amy Shiels, Luna’s VA, said that there were a ton of action sequences towards the end of recording, which is consistent with this prediction.)

4) Of course, if the dynamic is different, there’s gotta be a reason for the climactic event to take place anyway. And, in this case, I think that reason has already been hinted – if Ardyn can’t lead Noct astray unknowingly, he can always just imprison him in the Crystal and torture him into it.

This is where things seem to give off heavy Avatar vibes. Ardyn needs Noct to become the True King to consider Noct’s death satisfying, which reminds me of nothing quite so much as Zaheer’s plot to kill Korra in the Avatar State. We don’t know what Noct’s “True King” form looks like, but the uncontrollable daemonic-looking version of Noct that killed Luna in the vision certainly seems like it could fit the bill.

Unlike the Avatar State, the daemonic-looking version of Noct appears to be a being of darkness and chaos rather than of light and harmony. But if some of the underlying FNC mythos has stuck around, that… actually sort of makes sense? Chaos in FNC is what gives humans free will, and thus the ability to fight their fate. It’s entirely plausible that a properly-controlled being powered by Chaos could be required to deal with the Plague of the Stars in place of the gods. (Or maybe the King of Light functions as a sin eater, taking chaos upon himself to remove it from the world? A lot of people die in the XV canon, and that'd mean a lot of free chaos by FNC rules. And there could be an association between light and chaos, given Noct's ability to see the "light of expiring souls.") Of course, without proper control, such a being would just be a monster, and without proper context, it’d be easy to think that vanquishing the “True King” and the Chaos it represents would restore the world’s balance as opposed to ensuring its doom.

“There’s nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.” Perhaps this is what that means – the “evil” powers that cause Noct and Luna so much pain in the vision can actually be used for good, given the proper mindset.

4a) If the “True King” is Noct’s Superpowered Evil Side, what if he’s the one to blind Ignis and scar Gladio, and that’s the reason why Gladio is so upset at him in the train?

4b) It’s a rather odd coincidence that the tree Noct sees the false Pryna under and ends up fighting Luna near looks rather like the Tree of Time from Legend of Korra, given the other similarities. XD;

5) If the vision is what we’re trying to prevent, it’d be awfully strange for Noct to outright fail to do so. However, the ESRB synopsis references scenes that sound like a perfect analog for what we saw in the Omen trailer: “one cutscene involves a woman being stabbed off-screen; another scene depicts a character with a bloodstained wound.”

One explanation, of course, is that the vision – or, at least, the portions involving Noct and Luna’s fight – is actually reproduced in the game. If the game is actually building up to a final confrontation that will determine whether or not the vision will be averted, it’d be awfully strange to leave that vision out of the game itself. Maybe Noct has nightmares about it, or he sees it when an Astral is messing with his head. If that’s the case, the ESRB synopsis really doesn’t predict anything.

The other option is that Noct actually does stab Luna, but things change after that because his friends are there. She wouldn’t even need to die, necessarily; Prompto and Gladio could hold Noct off while Ignis keeps her from bleeding out.

6) I’ve seen a lot of talk about how the Omen trailer basically proves that the Ring of the Lucii is a bad, bad thing, but Noct doesn’t actually wear it at any point in the trailer. That he does get it in the game is a point of differentiation, not a step down the dark path shown in the trailer.

7) The trailer obviously wants us to assume that the one death that the voice speaking to Regis is looking forward to is Luna’s, but that seems almost too obvious. Besides, whether the voice is the Crystal or one of the Lucii, it’s unclear why Luna’s death would allow it to rest. I’m more inclined to think that it’s looking forward to Noct’s death, probably to put an end to the line of Lucis and free the past kings from their duty.

Regis, of course, can’t let that happen for a number of reasons. And so, he chooses to defy fate at Insomnia’s expense, asks forgiveness from the gods for the carnage he knows will ensue, and walks knowingly to his death.​

UrbanRats

It'd be like trying to roll in Dark Souls without stamina left, i figure.
Watch your stamina!

silva1991

It'd be like trying to roll in Dark Souls without stamina left, i figure.
Watch your stamina!

You regain stamina instantly when you're out of it.

In this game there is a "stasis" status after that is even worse than getting tired in Ni Oh iirc which is indeed BS.

Note: My command of Japanese is at a Basic level, I would appreciate if anyone fluent in the language can rectify my translations.

With regards to the last few lines in the trailer, I started to look at the Japanese subs hosted on Square Enix Japan's YouTube channel to see if the translations were any different. Interestingly, the last few lines of dialogue play out a bit differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsCOPWGkLbs

Regis: これまでにどれだけの命が犠牲になったことか。
(So far, how many lives must be sacrificed)

Being:すべての犠牲は未来の王のため。そして我々の使命終わる。
(All of the sacrifices are for the sake of the Future King. And then Our Mission* will end)

Regis:王は必ず使命を果たす。
(The King will surely fulfill the Mission*)/(The King will surely fulfill his responsibility)

Being: 当然のことだ。
(Of course.)

The bolded text is different from its English counterpart.Notably the Being says nothing about looking forward to a specific death, but instead states that all many of sacrifices are for Noctis' sake. And Regis' line there refers to Noctis.

Another thing is the Being's usage of the term 我々 (Ware Ware), a plural form of the first person pronoun, indicating It is speaking on behalf of a larger group, different from the English version's usage of "I".

*But the most interesting thing is that the Being refers to a 使命 which means Mission or Responsibility or Task. However, in the context of Fabula Nova Crystallis, 使命 was translated as "Focus". Of course I am not entirely sure on this, I could be looking too deeply into this, since after all, 使命 is a fairly common noun. However, seeing as the Fabula Nova Crytallis originally played a large role in Versus XIII, I did not rule out the possibility of it referring to "Focus".

Note: My command of Japanese is at a Basic level, I would appreciate if anyone fluent in the language can rectify my translations.

With regards to the last few lines in the trailer, I started to look at the Japanese subs hosted on Square Enix Japan's YouTube channel to see if the translations were any different. Interestingly, the last few lines of dialogue play out a bit differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsCOPWGkLbs

Regis: これまでにどれだけの命が犠牲になったことか。
(So far, how many lives must be sacrificed)

Being:すべての犠牲は未来の王のため。そして我々の使命終わる。
(All of the sacrifices are for the sake of the Future King. And then Our Mission* will end)

Regis:王は必ず使命を果たす。
(The King will surely fulfill the Mission*)

Being: 当然のことだ。
(Of course.)

Notably the Being says nothing about wanting to sacrifice someone, but instead states that all many of sacrifices are for Noctis' sake. And Regis' line there refers to Noctis.

*But the most interesting thing is that the Being refers to a 使命 which means Mission or Responsibility or Task. However, in the context of Fabula Nova Crystallis, 使命 was translated as "Focus".
That's quite a bit of a difference and makes me think more about who the being is. Translation can do wonders sometimes.

Top Bottom