• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Omen Trailer

Some of it is before and during the game. The day of the treaty signing (when all shit breaks loose) is happening in conjunction with chapter 1 of the game.

Glad you liked it.

Killer Queen already explained when the movie takes place. I just wanna add that the last scene (after credits) where the car brakes is where the game picks up in chapter 1, if I'm not mistaken.

Now go watch the Brotherhood anime :)

It happens mostly before the events of the game, with some stuff taking place not long after presumably. Noctis has already left the kingdom by the time of most of the movie.

Thanks guys.
If the game takes place after the movie then...why is
King Regis in the Omen trailer....he dies in the movie.

Will check out the Anime though.

Ishida

Banned
If it was, I'm lost. lol

I wonder if any of that will be in the game.

It's been said time and time again that the whole trailer is a prophetic dream/omen from King Regis about the potential dark fate of his son's journey. The trailer is a dream-like representation of a "potential, an dark timeline that mus be avoided".

Basically, Noctis would be corrupted and would fail if his friends were not traveling alongside him.

This omen is quite possibly the reason King Regis asked Noctis' friends to accompany him in the road.

Thanks guys.
If the game takes place after the movie then...why is
King Regis in the Omen trailer....he dies in the movie.

Will check out the Anime though.

The last part of the trailer, the scenes with Regis and the Crystal happen before the game, and before/during the Kingsglaive movie.

Tyaren

Kingsglaive -> Brotherhood -> FFXV.

Cool. Thanks!

I'd say watch it the other way around. King Regis and Luna as well as Noctis, to whom they are referring to in Kingsglaive, will be complete strangers to you otherwise. You won't understand their deep connection and many of the inklings being made. Kingsglaive is a bit hard to understand, they throw so much at you and explain very little. It's all about the action and amazing shots. If you watch the more intimate/personal anime first however you will already know the characters from a younger age and it will be a lot easier to relate to them in the movie.

wmlk

Just watching the in progress train station footage to find similarities. There's not much of a similarity really, but there are a few small things that are the same in this trailer. Probably all coincidences.

Also, I never noticed Tabata and Ofuji losing their shit when the cat begins walking. Amazing. https://youtu.be/ScShHZBykeE?t=39s

SOVrzqW.gif

The plot of this game seems to be a lot bigger than we have been led to believe.
Like most FFs. And people were thinking it was going to be as simple as "get the crystal back and call it a day". I always knew there was going to be something more to it than just that.

wmlk

L12vb61.png

qFZWHvq.png

Those T-shaped light poles look identical. I don't think I've seen this asset used anywhere else in the game. Maybe it's the same place?

Toparaman

Banned
Was that trailer supposed to make any sense?

Noctis has a dark side, man. He's so cool. He's so cool that when bullets hit his chest area, his shirt tears off to reveal his perfect and uninjured abs.

All hail Noctis, product of 2006, the MySpace scene-kid era, all down to the clothing and haircut.

Falk

that puzzling face
L12vb61.png

qFZWHvq.png

Those T-shaped light poles look identical. I don't think I've seen this asset used anywhere else in the game. Maybe it's the same place?

That's what stood out to me too. But the railings don't QUITE match up. The general design does, but they're double-poled instead of single.

Feels a little bit more like asset reuse.

luckyguess

Neo Member
I think it's pretty clear that it *is* the crystal talking.

It really isn't clear that the crystal is talking. It's inferred that whoever is talking has some link to the crystal, since Regis is staring at it, but since Regis's lips aren't moving, it's clear that he's reminiscing about the conversation (unless the conversation was telepathic), and it's not occurring right then. So, it could be something else entirely he was speaking with.

LordKasual

Banned
It really isn't clear that the crystal is talking. It's inferred that whoever is talking has some link to the crystal, since Regis is staring at it, but since Regis's lips aren't moving, it's clear that he's reminiscing about the conversation (unless the conversation was telepathic), and it's not occurring right then. So, it could be something else entirely he was speaking with.

As someone else said before, that last scene makes alot more sense after watching Kingsglaive.

CaramelMarx

Neo Member
The only tiny thing I'm a bit worried about is how much they seem to be cramming together the two FF traditional settings into one game. It's like they couldn't decide between Medieval or Futuristic so they went Medi-futuristic. That looks nice and all, but isn't it going to be a bit weird in practice? Isn't this part of why people didn't like FF8?

I mean, FF8 is underrated in my book - but still. When it jumps from a king and castles to giant skyscrapers, I feel a bit of vertigo coming on.

Byvar

I find it strange that some people still haven't realized who the evil voice Regis is talking to is. It's very apparent in the French version of the trailer that it is voiced by
Ardyn
's voice actor. It's just a little less clear in English, but there is only one voice actor who can say "As must we all" in such an
oily
manner...
Furthermore, the TGS trailer already implied
that he is some higher being who seems to dislike the Crystal itself
, which fits in perfectly with how this evil being Regis is talking to seems to have been toying with and tormenting many generations of Lucian kings.

The only tiny thing I'm a bit worried about is how much they seem to be cramming together the two FF traditional settings into one game. It's like they couldn't decide between Medieval or Futuristic so they went Medi-futuristic. That looks nice and all, but isn't it going to be a bit weird in practice? Isn't this part of why people didn't like FF8?

I mean, FF8 is underrated in my book - but still. When it jumps from a king and castles to giant skyscrapers, I feel a bit of vertigo coming on.

FF8 is hated mostly for the draw system and the weird enemy scaling system. The butchered script doesn't help either. But hey, I might be bias since it's my fav FF game. The charm of XV is that it's set in a "modern" world and the farther the bros get away from home the more fantastical things get. Insommia being so advanced compared to other parts of the world can be believable, since they have the last crystal.

luckyguess

Neo Member
As someone else said before, that last scene makes alot more sense after watching Kingsglaive.

I've seen it twice, and I still don't have an answer the question of who Regis was speaking with. I personally don't think it is the crystal, because there is nothing in Kingsglaive that alludes to the crystal being (or containing) an evil entity. In fact, the opposite is suggested.

When the crystal is stolen by the Niflheim kingdom, Regis says quite confidently to Niflheim's emperor that he will not be able to convince the crystal to work for him. If the crystal is evil, why wouldn't someone who is also nefarious be able to form some kind of alliance with it?

Also, in the beginning of the Omen trailer, Luna tells Noctis that the crystal's goal is to find the "King of Light" who will purge their star of its scourge. Unless she is completely wrong about that, it sounds like that crystal is good.

This is some other entity Regis is speaking with, most likely. I think, like others have suggested, he is speaking to
Ardyn
. If you look back at some of the previous trailers, there are clues to this.

Koozek

Wait, did Noctis kill Luna in that "timeline" because he maybe thought she was in on the invasion with Niflheim?

Falk

that puzzling face
Seems to me Noctis was completely unaware of his actions. He's confused, wondering why he's surrounded by Cerberuses and holding Luna's staff.

Servbot24

Banned
Here all of the concept art:

Please let this all be in the game, please. >.<

Generally one of the purposes of concept art is to generate 100 ideas so that you can choose only the single best idea. Dunno where those pictures are from, but I can promise you there are hundreds of environment ideas that look amazing that will not be in the game.

Since those pictures made it to public somehow, maybe they are the ideas that made it through. Sure hope we get an art book!

When the crystal is stolen by the Niflheim kingdom, Regis says quite confidently to Niflheim's emperor that he will not be able to convince the crystal to work for him. If the crystal is evil, why wouldn't someone who is also nefarious be able to form some kind of alliance with it?

Not all evil is aligned to the same goals. It could be that either the Niflheim empire is working against the goals of the crystal, unknowingly or not, despite both having malicious intentions. It could also be that the apparent curse on the Lucis family prevents the crystal from directly assisting others, and instead just has sway over/can only grant power to the ones who share the bloodline.

Additionally, it seems like they'll put a twist on things and make the "King of Light" Ravus or someone else, and curing the blight of the star will only serve to hasten forward some other apocalyptic event. Noctis is pretty clearly a "King of Dark", so it couldn't be him.

Wait, did Noctis kill Luna in that "timeline" because he maybe thought she was in on the invasion with Niflheim?

I think it's pretty clear that in the end he is possessed by whatever evil entity "led him there" with the dog based on the eyes and his confusion whenever they are not glowing. I wonder if this was planned out from the very beginning, and the fiery eyes are a reference to Noctis' red eyes back in the early Versus XIII trailers, indicating that they were meant to represent his corruption even then. Were his eyes glowing in the leadup to the Stella fight?

Seems to me Noctis was completely unaware of his actions. He's confused, wondering why he's surrounded by Cerberuses and holding Luna's staff.

Yup. I think that whoever theorized that the crystal granted power at a great price to the first Lucian king is probably right on the money. It could be that the price for the power and kingdom was that the kingdom and lineage will end in total disaster, and that perhaps the last king (whoever is currently the youngest heir, or maybe instead the oldest remaining member of the family) will be in danger of being taken as the physical vessel for the crystal or whatever evil is at play here.

Maybe
Regis was able to protect Noctis from its influence as long as he remained alive, but as things came to a head with the Empire, he had to set things in motion to try to counteract its influence transferring to his son were he not to survive. Maybe instead, he lost the close connection to the entity as soon as his son was born, or reached the age he was in the Dawn trailer, which would explain his distress in that one, because he perhaps unknowingly passed his curse onto his son, perhaps despite his best efforts to prevent it.

I bet Regis will end up (partly) causing this timeline by trying to prevent it. Classic trope.

This seems likely. It has the most dramatic payoff, and if that doesn't happen, then none of the omens in the trailer have any real weight. If they aren't presented as very real possibilities at some point in the game, it will be seen as pulling its punches. I do like the implication that the reason the whole game is a giant bro-fest road trip is that Noctis if left alone would succumb to the possession of the crystal or whatever entity he draws power from. It ties well into the theme of camaraderie and teamwork.

I wonder if the
10 year time gap is caused by the bros needing to seal Noctis away in order to prevent his possession by the evil entity from completing. Maybe they stop it very shortly on the final hour or something and try to find a cure in the 10 years that pass, but they fail and have to bring him back to destroy a more immediate threat, the big flaming guy glimpsed at the beginning. This would certainly make that fight more tense and momentous, as the implication is that Noctis could turn at any moment.

All I'll say now is that I really hope the game delivers on its story. I'm not totally confident based on the way it seems to play out early on, but hopefully it builds to something greater over time.

.JayZii

Banned
Generally one of the purposes of concept art is to generate 100 ideas so that you can choose only the single best idea. Dunno where those pictures are from, but I can promise you there are hundreds of environment ideas that look amazing that will not be in the game.

Since those pictures made it to public somehow, maybe they are the ideas that made it through. Sure hope we get an art book!
Generally, 90% of concept art never is seen by the public. If it's used at a marketing event or in an artbook, it is very likely to be in the game or something similar will be in the game.

This video made so much hype for sure, fantastic.

This video isn't about Regis vision if Noctis were alone but not with his friends? So he sending his friends for find his right way and help.

The setting of FFVIII wasn't the problem to a lot of those that disliked that game(myself included). That being said, FFVIII(save for FFXIII and the Zanarkand segments of FFX) were generally considered a futuristic FF game. It has less nods to medieval society than FFXV, that's for sure. Hell, FFVIII's world is what FFXV's world would look like if they abandoned a majority of the medieval/old ways and just move forward all together. You'd never find a place like Tenebrae in FFVIII's world. The most medieval part of that game was the final dungeon.

oni_saru

Am I the only one who got a Norman Reedus vibe from Noctis in this trailer?

Something about his movements kept me thinking about him. Lol

Anyways can't wait to play this game!!

Top Bottom