• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One will provide live NFL games at a blazing 60fps

That sounds like a step backward. What's the point in having 60fps if there is macroblocking, shimmering, and other artifacts present in the picture?

Seeing smoother motion of course. That's great for sports.

Also, how did the NFL strike this deal when DirecTV still has the monopoly on being able to show every game outside of your regional coverage? Or is that over after this year?

I'm curious about this as well. What's the point if it's just a few games a year?

Razgreez

We've been getting all our sport on/via satellite at 720p50fps for years... and I live at the tip of africa. It definitely makes the games (especially rugby) easier to watch

apana

Football is absolutely perfect for 60 fps. The best part about the Hobbit in 48fps was that it gave new life to all the scenes involving heavy amounts of motion and action. Battle scenes are completely different with higher frame rate. By the way 49ers will be back.

Gestault

It's a 6mbps stream? At 60fps? So it's essentially equivalent in picture quality to a 3mbps stream at 30fps that we normally see?

That sounds like a step backward. What's the point in having 60fps if there is macroblocking, shimmering, and other artifacts present in the picture?

Without knowing their codec, and without seeing a report on the quality, we won't know. Going years back, something like DivX was able to produce the same image quality as MPEG-2 at 1/8th the bitrate, so it's not unbelievable. We don't have reason to think the NFL would jump into an exclusive contract like this without a competitive solution.

I guess this is a new way to watch the games live. If anybodie's interested, most football and NBA games are available at 720p60 to stream/download at various third party sites. I don't know the legality of the situation so I'm not going to link anything, but yeah it's out there and it's glorious.

BigDug13

(720P video is always 60 frames right? whats the point of announcing that?)

Because only Fox and ESPN actually broadcast in 720p so only football on those channels are in 60 FPS. Games on CBS, Sunday Night Football on NBC, and Thursday night Football on NFL Network all broadcast in 1080i.

This is going to be great. I hope they expand a lot of the features of the NFL app. I think a lot of their vision for the experience hasn't been realized yet. Adding advantages like this will be enticing. 60fps for sports is amazing.

This is going to be great. I hope they expand a lot of the features of the NFL app. I think a lot of their vision for the experience hasn't been realized yet. Adding advantages like this will be enticing. 60fps for sports is amazing.

Especially considering how much money they spent on the deal.

It's a 6mbps stream? At 60fps? So it's essentially equivalent in picture quality to a 3mbps stream at 30fps that we normally see?

Also, how did the NFL strike this deal when DirecTV still has the monopoly on being able to show every game outside of your regional coverage? Or is that over after this year?

I'm watching hockey right now at 720p, 5mbps through the Xbox 360 NHL Gamecenter app (easily one of the best sports streaming apps ever made btw-- the Gamecenter app on other platforms is not nearly as good), there's no macroblocking.

Gestault

I think people are making this a bigger deal than it is. For decades, we've watched sports and live events with 60 updates a second. We've also played games this way long before HDMI and HD resolution. You've more or less experienced what the higher framerate is like. The only thing changing here is that you're getting full frame resolution now.

Since your premise is that a 30 fps signal is being converted to 60 fps...you aren't understanding something about what you're saying. If the speed were being doubled, what you're saying could be true, but you're confusing 29.97 fps video running at 60 hz with a 60 fps signal.

I don't know if you're confused or getting into a semantic argument or what, but let me try to clarify the original explanation.

Like I mentioned before, most stations broadcast in 720p60 or 1080i60.

In both cases you can push 24FPS, 30FPS and 60FPS content through.

Obviously there's judder thats introduced with 24FPS unless you have a 120hz panel which is smart enough to recognize the 24FPS content and display it correctly. On a 720p broadcast it's already a progressive signal. On a 1080i60 broadcast, it comes in as interlaced but all of the information to reconstruct it as a 1080p video is there. Modern TV's are able to apply some processing to get it to it's original progressive state-- there's no information lost. So even thou it's a 1080i60 broadcastyou're essentially seeing a 1080p24 brodcast on a 1080p panel.

For 30FPS it's pretty much the same deal except there's no judder introduced since 30 fits into 60hz evenly (every frame is displayed twice).

For 60FPS on a 720p signal, it's straight forward, every frame is a unique progressive image.

For 60FPS on a 1080i signal, the way it works is that there are 60 frames of information, but the even frames only contain image information for horizontal lines 1, 3, 5, 7, ... 1077, 1079 and the odd frames contain image information for horizontal lines 2, 4, 6, 8, .... 1078, 1080. On an old school CRT HDTV what would happen is that it literally would display only the odd lines one frame, and then the even lines the next frame. Since the lines that information was being displayed on were alternating so fast, it would trick your brain into thinking you were seeing a progressive image and it would look pretty good. On a fixed pixel display (like LCD) they can't really do that-- you'd see way too much flicker from the image and it would look bad. So instead they have algorithms which for the even frames will fill in the information for lines 2, 4, 6, 8, .... 1078, 1080 based on the previous frame's lines of 2, 4, 6, 8, .... 1078, 1080, the current frame's lines of 1, 3, 5, 7, ... 1077, and the next frame's lines of 2, 4, 6, 8, .... 1078, 1080. And for the odd frames it will fill in the info for 2, 4, 6, 8, .... 1078, 1080 using a similar technique. Yes its interpolation going on, but its not interpolating a 30FPS signal into a 60FPS progressive signal. Its interpolating a 60FPS interlaced signal into a 60FPS progressive signal. And what your eyes see on your TV is literally a 60FPS progressive signal.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Cool, but why not 1080p? I'd have to guess the blame falls on the broadcaster as there isn't anything to render on the console side.

Mona

Banned
can the human eye even see beyond 24fps

tumblr_me0fxz7V651r9psfgo1_500.gif

Cool, but why not 1080p? I'd have to guess the blame falls on the broadcaster as there isn't anything to render on the console side.

You need at least 5MBPS to get a decent 720p60 signal. It would probably take 10MBPS to do it at 1080p. Not worth it because most people's internet probably can't do 10MBPS, and even if it can, their wireless router setup would also be problematic in terms of getting that type of bandwidth consistently. And plus as others have mentioned most sports broadcasts are in 720p anyway.

In this thread, people fail to understand the difference between 60 interlaced fields per second and 30 or 60 progressive frames per second.

Broadcast HD 720p is 60 progressive frames per second, 1080i is 60 interlaced fields per second. For sports broadcasting the signal is always natively 60p or 60i in North America.

The Xbone is not doing anything unique or interesting here. You can watch the NFL every Sunday for the price of a $30 antenna because the NFL is the only professional sport still broadcasted over the air by local network affiliate stations. If you want to spend $500 for an inferior game console to watch the NFL instead of spending $400 on a PS4 which is superior as a game console and $30 on an antenna to get the same 720p or 1080i then great job there sparky. MS is over delivering on value as usual.

RELIGHT

Banned
Why the hell would we need 60 FPS for television? That 48 FPS bullshit on some HD TV already looks fucking bizarre. Uncanny valley type bullshit.

Why the hell would we need 60 FPS for television? That 48 FPS bullshit on some HD TV already looks fucking bizarre. Uncanny valley type bullshit.

We've had it for decades. It's nothing new. It's amazing how Microsoft's marketing is working and how much Peter Jackson and interpolated video from HDTVs have fucked up the understanding.

nillapuddin

will sell my soul to get ala carte NFL package next season
I have Sunday Ticket, I have DirecTV, I have Xbox One, I have no way of them playing nice with eachother

Next Season:
Sunday Ticket App plz, link to account, 60 fps, Snap Mode, Redzone Channel = life fulfilled

It might look strange for a fantasy movie with magic, hobbits and dragons, but it should be fantastic for real life events, such as sports.

will sell my soul to get ala carte NFL package next season
I have Sunday Ticket, I have DirecTV, I have Xbox One, I have no way of them playing nice with eachother

Next Season:
Sunday Ticket App plz, link to account, 60 fps, Snap Mode, Redzone Channel = life fulfilled

Currently have my Apple TV hooked into my HDMI in on the Xbox One so that I can watch NHL games while playing Dead Rising 3 :). There's definitely a framerate drop when you snap TV though, and also a weird big overscan gutter. Hoping for a native app soon which will avoid these issues.

Since your premise is that a 30 fps signal is being converted to 60 fps...you aren't understanding something about what you're saying. If the speed were being doubled, what you're saying could be true, but you're confusing 29.97 fps video running at 60 hz with a 60 fps signal.

He isn't, most sports are recorded in 1080i 50/60 (50 for PAL land, 60 for NTSC land), each interlaced frame is unique.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
All this furor over resolution and framerate for months and then a thread like this shows that most people don't even know what they've been looking at on TV for years.

SMH.

This should be a big upgrade for sports broadcasts. Of course I don't see why it has to be exclusive to a video game console instead of every single broadcast, but I imagine it will happen eventually.

Too bad sports has always been broadcast in 60 fields per ssecond since the inception of TV sports. Original NTSC is 480i60. ATSC is 720p60 or 1080i60 and sports broadcasts use the full 60p or 60i, unlike most pre recorded content like movies and sitcoms.

Branduil

Too bad sports has always been broadcast in 60 fields per ssecond since the inception of TV sports. Original NTSC is 480i60. ATSC is 720p60 or 1080i60 and sports broadcasts use the full 60p or 60i, unlike most pre recorded content like movies and sitcoms.

So basically it's Microsoft selling us nothing.

ESPN, ABC, and FOX already broadcast at 720p60. NBC, CBS and pretty much all other channels broadcast at 1080i60 which gets de-interlaced to 1080p60 by your TV or TV viewing software on your PC. I don't see why Digital trends is stating this as some awesome exclusive.

ESPN, ABC, and FOX already broadcast at 720p60. NBC, CBS and pretty much all other channels broadcast at 1080i60 which gets de-interlaced to 1080p60 by your TV or TV viewing software on your PC. I don't see why Digital trends is stating this as some awesome exclusive.

I don't use Sunday Ticket but I'm guessing the big deal here is Neulion & Microsoft are putting in the infrastructure to step up the streams from 30FPS to 60FPS. Neulion already did this last year for the NHL Gamecenter streams... and I think it happened close to around the time that the 360 app was released so maybe MS had a hand in that as well.

railGUN

Banned
I don't know if you're confused or getting into a semantic argument or what, but let me try to clarify the original explanation.

Like I mentioned before, most stations broadcast in 720p60 or 1080i60.

In both cases you can push 24FPS, 30FPS and 60FPS content through.

Obviously there's judder thats introduced with 24FPS unless you have a 120hz panel which is smart enough to recognize the 24FPS content and display it correctly. On a 720p broadcast it's already a progressive signal. On a 1080i60 broadcast, it comes in as interlaced but all of the information to reconstruct it as a 1080p video is there. Modern TV's are able to apply some processing to get it to it's original progressive state-- there's no information lost. So even thou it's a 1080i60 broadcastyou're essentially seeing a 1080p24 brodcast on a 1080p panel.

For 30FPS it's pretty much the same deal except there's no judder introduced since 30 fits into 60hz evenly (every frame is displayed twice).

For 60FPS on a 720p signal, it's straight forward, every frame is a unique progressive image.

For 60FPS on a 1080i signal, the way it works is that there are 60 frames of information, but the even frames only contain image information for horizontal lines 1, 3, 5, 7, ... 1077, 1079 and the odd frames contain image information for horizontal lines 2, 4, 6, 8, .... 1078, 1080. On an old school CRT HDTV what would happen is that it literally would display only the odd lines one frame, and then the even lines the next frame. Since the lines that information was being displayed on were alternating so fast, it would trick your brain into thinking you were seeing a progressive image and it would look pretty good. On a fixed pixel display (like LCD) they can't really do that-- you'd see way too much flicker from the image and it would look bad. So instead they have algorithms which for the even frames will fill in the information for lines 2, 4, 6, 8, .... 1078, 1080 based on the previous frame's lines of 2, 4, 6, 8, .... 1078, 1080, the current frame's lines of 1, 3, 5, 7, ... 1077, and the next frame's lines of 2, 4, 6, 8, .... 1078, 1080. And for the odd frames it will fill in the info for 2, 4, 6, 8, .... 1078, 1080 using a similar technique. Yes its interpolation going on, but its not interpolating a 30FPS signal into a 60FPS progressive signal. Its interpolating a 60FPS interlaced signal into a 60FPS progressive signal. And what your eyes see on your TV is literally a 60FPS progressive signal.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from, but North American television broadcasts are 30 frames per second, not 60. Could you source where you're getting this 60fps from?

jmdajr

hdtv-7.jpg

Guess I just take this for granted, but yeah we've been there for some time.

edit: One of the bigger problems is all the motion artifacts when things start moving at a high speed. Always been an issue.

True. How many programs on TV right now are in 1080p native?

Scripted TV dramas are almost all 24FPS (Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, CSI, etc). They may be broadcast through a 1080i60 signal, but your TV can convert that to a native 1080p24 signal with no loss of information from the original picture.

Isn't the 60fps referring to the quality of the internet stream? OTA/sat/cable live broadcast events are always 60fps.

The reason Internet streams standardized on 30fps is to save bandwidth. There is no technical reason why they couldn't be 60fps. At 30fps YouTube is already singlehandedly responsible for 75% of North American Internet traffic.

Top Bottom