• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced - PS4/PS3/Vita, HD remaster w/ new shit, Jan 14 2016

On the niconico Atlus x Vanillware stream a few minutes ago. Not much other info at the moment, though.

CKWl8kLUsAAU3eS.jpg:large

Information via Cute_shutin on Gematsu (thanks maitrain!):

for the people not watching the stream
>New Enemies
>New maps
>Alchemy system will be redone
>You don't have to replay stages
>You can teleport between areas
>Fighting system has been readjusted and looks more like Muramasa style fighting *can put some CUHRAYZEE combos*

>OST will include rearrangements but also new songs from the FFT composer
>Faster response when crunching and moving
>new animations when using items
and more

Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo11vp8cd_8

SolidSnakeX found some screenshots via Famitsu:
So looking around it seems like Famitsu is the only one with direct feed screens right now, which means they're tiny

l_55acc2ac356fdw9pdn.jpg

l_55acc2ad5cfa833qiq.jpg

PS4/3/Vita
l_55acc2ab1208e77oom.jpg

PS2
odindur9j.png

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201507/20083815.html

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game was really repetitive and boring, the cooking was really tedious, and it was filled with slowdown. I imagine it'll be really good on PS4 and MAAAAYBE PS3 technically though...

Only game I ever stopped playing exclusively because of frame-rate issues.
Good to see the game is getting a second chance.

Mupod

I mean, it'd be cool if they added some stuff, but I have difficulty imagining that it won't still be extremely repetitive. It's a beautiful game but pretty high on the list of things I don't really want to play again.

Gammacide

Yyyyeeeeessssssss!!!!!! Loved OS and I bet this version will fix the incredibly bad slowdown during certain boss battles. SO bought!!!!

Yasumi

Banned
Unless it's just for a separate part of the game, there was actual field exploration closer to Muramasa, new bosses, skill trees, and expanded synthesis I think.

VariantX

Well, at least the game wont run in slow motion on those platforms. I still have nightmares about the odette boss battle.

Wow, just wow.

I mean, I remember this game from when I was a teen, so it is surreal to see this niche gem get the remaster treatment.

Definitely will put money down for this, especially if the remaster fixes the notorious slowdowns of the game. The game was so beautiful back then already, and I can imagine how much better when the sprites and art are all redone in HD resolution.

Steroyd

Nice, I remember buying this on the PS2 and barely played it because PS3 was out or was on the horizon, and I was a lazy bugger at killing my back catalog.

Also Vita, yuss!

I mean, I remember this game from when I was a teen, so it is surreal to see this niche gem get the remaster treatment.

Lol it just occurred to me this is like the first proper HD remaster Atlus have done.

They didn't pick Nocturne, or Persona 3/4, or anything of the sort. They chose to remaster Odin Sphere. Lol.

Tsunamo

I never played the original Odin Sphere so i'm all in if it's a HD remaster with new content and getting a Vita release, might even double dip if it's not too expensive in the west.

Vanillaware games have been nothing but amazing for me (judging from Dragons Crown and Muramasa Rebirth) so it'll be day 1 when it comes to the west for me for sure.

duckroll

Christ, is it really that long?

It's a 7-8 hour game which is pretty fun, but there are 5 campaigns, each with a new character. The characters have slightly different move sets and gimmicks, but in the end you're going through the same damn stages and fighting the same bosses over and over and over and over again, just in different order and with different cutscenes. After you beat all the campaigns, you unlock the true ending path, where you get to fight the bosses you already fought a dozen times before again, and then you get some new endgame bosses at the end.

So yeah, it's a 40-50 hour game if you want to see the entire story. Lol.

Atolm

Meanwhile, Vanillaware's best game, Grim Grimoire, sits there without getting any attention ;/

Oh well, this will have to do. Will buy for Vita.

My number 1 game of all time... On the list of games that are beautiful but completely boring, just edging out Trine.

So yeah... I guess it might be extra pretty now?

Meanwhile, Vanillaware's best game, Grim Grimoire, sits there without getting any attention ;/

That was a damn fine game.

This game was really repetitive and boring, the cooking was really tedious, and it was filled with slowdown. I imagine it'll be really good on PS4 and MAAAAYBE PS3 technically though...
I really enjoyed the original. Combat had some jank (hold attack to block?), the slow down was amazingly horrible at times, there were some annoying as enemies, and the reuse of areas and bosses was pretty disappointing, but despite all that I liked what I played and look forward to this.
Hopefully the new content includes unique areas and bosses for each character.

Curufinwe

It's a 7-8 hour game which is pretty fun, but there are 5 campaigns, each with a new character. The characters have slightly different move sets and gimmicks, but in the end you're going through the same damn stages and fighting the same bosses over and over and over and over again, just in different order and with different cutscenes. After you beat all the campaigns, you unlock the true ending path, where you get to fight the bosses you already fought a dozen times before again, and then you get some new endgame bosses at the end.

So yeah, it's a 40-50 hour game if you want to see the entire story. Lol.

I dropped it down to Easy difficulty and it still took 40 hours. But I really liked the game; more than Muramasa.

duckroll

Nippon Ichi should really think about doing a HD version of Grim Grimoire for Steam. Charge $19.99, offer dual language, KB+M controls. Would probably sell enough to make the port worthwhile.

Man

That's a very quality (and surprise) pick for a HD remake. Most welcome as I never got the chance to play it originally.

Nere

Absolutely loved both Muramasa and Dragon's Crown for Vita, will buy anything from vanillaware day 1 no questions asked can't wait for this.

装甲悪鬼村正;172455136 said:
I'm okay with this because "Odin's Sphere done right", would easily be Vanillaware's best game.
All of Vanillaware's games could be awesome with just some minor tweaks. They all get so close to brilliance but there are always a few things holding it back.
Dragon's Crown was their closet to getting it right imo.

nampad

Heard good things about this game and really looking forward to finally play it on Vita.
Love Muramasa and Dragon's Crown.

Top Bottom