• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced - PS4/PS3/Vita, HD remaster w/ new shit, Jan 14 2016

All of Vanillaware's games could be awesome with just some minor tweaks. They all get so close to brilliance but there are always a few things holding it back.
Dragon's Crown was their closet to getting it right imo.

It's still repetitive as fuck.
If you want to fight secret boss, you have to grind like crazy the entire game for 3 times.
Still it's their best game in term of variety.

Yasumi

Banned
They're showing some gameplay on the stream and it looks way more like Muramasa now. The levels are explorable and have multiple paths. There was a new abominable snowman midboss, and Gwen had a new dodge ability.

FluxWaveZ

Heh, did they just emphasize that this is a remake and not a remaster on the stream?

It seems to be that way, at least.

crinale

New Gwendolyn backflip, damn...

Well they're saying they did a lot of tweaking so..

They're showing some gameplay on the stream and it looks way more like Muramasa now. The levels are explorable and have multiple paths. There was a new abominable snowman midboss, and Gwen had a new dodge ability.

Yeah it is more like Odin Sphere re-done with Muramasa in mind.

Shin-Ra

Another reason we need 2160p60 support!

The GFX engine may not be UbiArt-tier optimised though. The PS3 version will be very revealing.

SMK

The gameplay looks very different from the original. Looks like they're taking what they learned from their other games.

jediyoshi

7980yen is really fucking pricey for a HD remaster, even with new content. Lol.

I think I can give more slack to a remaster for a 2d art based game. Seems less straight forward than taking a 3d game and upping the resolution/texture resolution/remodeling some things.

V-Gief

This leaves me conflicted: On on hand I like the way it looks and a proper HD remaster of this game is pretty damn sweet. On the other hand, this makes me feel really old haha.

It's a 7-8 hour game which is pretty fun, but there are 5 campaigns, each with a new character. The characters have slightly different move sets and gimmicks, but in the end you're going through the same damn stages and fighting the same bosses over and over and over and over again, just in different order and with different cutscenes. After you beat all the campaigns, you unlock the true ending path, where you get to fight the bosses you already fought a dozen times before again, and then you get some new endgame bosses at the end.

So yeah, it's a 40-50 hour game if you want to see the entire story. Lol.
Well that's not too terrible,but considering that I found Dragons Crown to be highly repetitive I doubt I'd find this to be any better.

Ogawa-san

Trying to play Odin Sphere after getting Dragon's Crown platinum was... unwise. Here's hoping they can improve it enough.

Vita and PS4, hmm? Tough choices. PS4 obviously will look nicer, but Muramasa Rebirth was stunning on that OLED screen.

However I do hope they can cut down some of the clunkiness with this remaster, you spend far too much time micro-managing your inventory space. It was infuriating being forced to keep half an inventory full of potions all game just because the final chapter was a boss gauntlet that gave you no chance to replenish items. Finished the final boss of Gwendolyn's chapter with no healing items leftover? Beat her bosses without getting hit, or enjoy having to replay her entire chapter from scratch to farm items.

First character (the Valkyrie) is amazing. You discover the game is great and beautiful.

Then you play the prince turned rabbit. It's harder because he's smaller.

Then the fairy and there is where I gave up. You have to play distance, to farm a lot, and you already been through all these levels and bosses twice.

After that you can play Velvet and Oswald that look like the best characters but seriously what is the point ?

Thud

Still have the PS2 classic on my PS3 untouched.

Price of backlog I guess, seeing the games you bought being remastered before you've played them. :<

so1337

I haven't played enough Odin's Sphere to make out any major differences in the combat but if they tweaked it a bunch, that could be exciting.

First character (the Valkyrie) is amazing. You discover the game is great and beautiful.

Then you play the prince turned rabbit. It's harder because he's smaller.

Then the fairy and there is where I gave up. You have to play distance, to farm a lot, and you already been through all these levels and bosses twice.

After that you can play Velvet and Oswald that look like the best characters but seriously what is the point ?
The fairy was the easiest for me since you could just fly and snipe everyone for the most part.
Oswald the Dark Knight was the most fun because of his transformation.
I forget what Velvets gimmick was.

jsrv

Looking pretty neat, I really liked Odin Sphere. I think I might be the only one that didn't mind the insane framerate drops in the original version. Muramasa remake next maybe?

I see new moves, stages, a revamped inventory, some sort of skill tree maybe?, more things to do between stages?, and an accessory system maybe?
Willing to bet the repetition is still in.

Looks like I'm buying Odin Sphere for the third time. Such a beautiful game.

I gotta say those 14 year olds are gonna love Velvet's sexy tights!

mnemonicj

I played this game for a very long while, but never played it through. Almost anything Vanillaware is a must buy for me. 'Dat Vita port though...

Top Bottom