• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERBEAT: XONiC |OT| Back to The DJMAX Roots - Now on PS4/XB1!

H4aqNIo.jpg

Oh27cdb.png

A new music gaming franchise from the creative team behind the popular DJMAX series of games has arrived! Featuring a choice of physical or touch controls and nearly 60 unlockable tracks, including collaborations with franchises such as Guilty Gear Xrd, SUPERBEAT: XONiC brings a new rhythm experience to the PS Vita.

FCA4woj.png

To play, you press or touch the various notes as they hit the gear at the edges of the screen:

• Single Notes: Notes that will hit the top, middle, or bottom of the gear. Tap the gear, or use the d-pad and face buttons.
  • Tale Notes: Like single notes, they can appear on the top, middle, or bottom, but must be held down until the end.
  • Swipe Notes: These yellow circles will appear on the top or bottom. Swipe up or down on the gear, or nudge the analog sticks.
  • Scratch Notes: These red circular trails will ask you to follow along with the gear or the analog sticks.
  • FX Notes: These large notes have you touch the left or right trigger as they touch the gear. There is no touch input for these notes.
SlMbR0n.png

As you complete songs, you'll unlock more songs and DJ Icons. Each DJ Icon has an ability associated with it, such as increased experience or the ability to prevent combo breaks. Choose between 4 TRAX, 6 TRAX, and the unlockable 6 TRAX FX, or revisit your favorites in Freestyle mode!​

R9nBDxQ.png

Platform: PlayStation Vita (PlayStation TV compatible), PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch
Genre: Rhythm Action
Release Date: November 10, 2015 (Vita), June 6, 2017 (PS4), June 7, 2017 (XB1), November 21, 2017 (Switch)
Price: $39.99
ESRB Rating: T - Music downloads not rated
Developer: Nurijoy, Inc.
Publisher: PM Studios, Inc. and acttil, llc

Order links:

wDj5uar.png

This list contains unlockables.

lwOMu6T.png

bLUY3BK.png

Downloadable content is scheduled. Details will follow after the game's release; watch this space for details!

mbzDaQt.jpg

Xbv8lli.png

mTmUgUX.png

External reviews can be found in this thread.

I hope you're buying it, VitaGAF.

protip: no matter how good you are at rhythm games, don't use hard mode to start

it's quite literally worse than EXH in IIDX, I failed a song by missing 3 notes over 20 seconds

It's DJMAX except it's not. Buy it, it's good. Probably the best rhythm game to hit the west since the DJMAX psp titles.

If you have any questions about the game I'll be glad to answer them.

Game is absolutely awesome. I played out for a few hours earlier today and was super pleased. Nice and difficult.

Had the game for the past 3 weeks and still absolutely loving it. Definitely a great pick up and play title.

okay the game is easier to understand once you try. i thought it would be strange as someone mentioned about the way the patterns come out and whatnot. only played the first song after the tutorial. i like it. but at work soo..... have to decide which is important LOL

I have to say, so far, the unlocking system feels SOOOOO much more tolerable now. I feel like actual progress is being made instead of "okay you grinded 30 levels & played every song about 5 times now, you can have ONE new song with maybe a new note splash or something" in DJ MAX Fever or Portable 3.

I kind of miss the music videos, but it seems a good amount of the visualizer effects are unique per song (& I think Heavy Day has GGXrd footage, I'll have to check), so that's a nice touch to help make songs feel a bit more unique.

It's going to be interesting to see how long 99,999 takes in Free Style, but at the very least, wow at some of the DJs giving you a rather lenient shield for free notes. One I got let you take 24 breaks before actually breaking the combo.

Long time DJ Max fan, and I am reeeaaally loving this game. Really challenging and I love a lot of the tracks so far.

Thanks to PM Studios and XperiaTizen from Reddit for their assistance in creating this thread!

For those wondering: this is a day early because PM Studios shipped the physical copies early last week; a number of members have already been playing the game and discussion of the game had been fragmented across several threads. This would have gone up sooner, but I was sort of caught off guard and needed the weekend to complete the thread.

This post may be used for other purposes down the line.

Excited for this. Gonna be a tough choice between P4D (fanservice straight for me) or this (huge variety of music and I presume a lengthy support with DLC).

SigSig

Great OP! subbed
Can't wait for this, I'm currently trying to convince myself to preorder the EU LE.

IzzyF3

Gameplay looks really similar to Persona 4 DAN. I'm a big fan of rhythm games before the guitar type games took over the genre. Glad to see a renaissance of creative rhythm.

JordanKZ

Between this, Miku on 3DS, P4: DAN and the revivals of Rock Band/Guitar Hero... it's been a really great time to a be rhythm game fan.

Also, this game launches in Europe this week also, on Friday.

xzeldax3

I'm so glad that members from the DJMAX team are still able to create awesome stuff. I wish Neowiz or whoever owns the rights to DJMAX would just sell them to Nuriijoy.

Messiah

Super excited for this game.

A bit bummed out about the lack of background animation, but the gameplay and music just looks and sounds amazing.

This is reviewing quite well, despite it being such a low-key, under-the-radar release. Definitely curious about picking it up.

Excited for this. Gonna be a tough choice between P4D (fanservice straight for me) or this (huge variety of music and I presume a lengthy support with DLC).

Pretty much sums it up. I enjoy Persona 4 Dancing All Night also but it has more than its fair share of technical mistakes that rhythm games shouldn't be making in 2015.

Super excited for this game.

A bit bummed out about the lack of background animation, but the gameplay and music just looks and sounds amazing.

While there aren't animations in the traditional DJMAX sense, each song does have a fairly unique background pattern; think classic DDR style background animations. I actually think it's the best approach for this style of game given how the vivid backgrounds in Persona 4 Dancing All Night actually hinder gameplay.

Messiah

While there aren't animations in the traditional DJMAX sense, each song does have a fairly unique background pattern; think classic DDR style background animations. I actually think it's the best approach for this style of game given how the vivid backgrounds in Persona 4 Dancing All Night actually hinder gameplay.

Yeah, I know. It's not that big of a deal. I just enjoyed how the animation gave the songs in the DJMAX games some more personality if that makes sense. It's not like I will enjoy the game any less because of this though.

RMI

Banned
my special edition shows as shipped a week ago via USPS priority but I haven't gotten anything yet :-(

Great rhythm game and probably my favorite (and the best, fundamentally) of any I've played this year (P4D, IA/VT, Taiko Vita).

When people say it is DJMAX but it isn't, I totally understand and agree with what they are saying.

Yuuichi

I might be quoted TWICE in the OP, but I'm here again to tell you to buy this game and to answer any questions that people have as a very hardcore player.

Already looking forward to the DLC charts. #SaveBackToLife2015

Kazer

This game looks great (and like it'll completely kick my ass). Just ordered the X-Clusive LE from their site.

yyr

Yeah, I know. It's not that big of a deal. I just enjoyed how the animation gave the songs in the DJMAX games some more personality if that makes sense. It's not like I will enjoy the game any less because of this though.

I must admit, I do miss the BGAs from Technika quite a bit.

But the high quality of the music ensures that I will continue to enjoy this game. I've had it since Friday, and although my busy weekend didn't allow much time for me to play, I've liked it so far. Definitely worth the $50 I paid for the limited edition with stand-alone, nicely-packaged 2-CD soundtrack.

If you are interested in owning this limited edition, a few copies are still available at this address:
https://superbeatxonic.ecwid.com/#!/SUPERBEAT-XONiC-The-X-CLUSIVE-Limited-Edition/p/54453434/category=0

pariah164

Awww yiss. I can't wait for this game to be available to buy. Been playing DJ Max Portable 3 just to get in the mood.

This is the real deal. Super slick presentation, great music, and I'm already getting my ass kicked on supposedly-easy tracks (whoever mentioned One Juicy Step in the other thread, I'm with you). I can't wait to dig into it more.

I didn't like Technika Tune much, but this already looks way better just by having button controls. And I have been jonesing for a rhythm fix ever since I devoured Project Mirai...

I heard about this because it has Heavy Day. I'm now even more interested hearing that they're adding a Guilty Gear song pack.

Might have to look at some gameplay and probably buy it. I saw there's no EU date in the OP. Do we have one?

I heard about this because it has Heavy Day. I'm now even more interested hearing that they're adding a Guilty Gear song pack.

Might have to look at some gameplay and probably buy it. I saw there's no EU date in the OP. Do we have one?
NA and EU have the same date for physical release (tomorrow). Not sure about digital.

NA and EU have the same date for physical release. Not sure about digital.

No, digital is the same date, physical is different. See my post above

EDIT: Cancelled my EU order and got an NA one. I don't trust RSG to handle the DLC and the patches and would rather deal with account switching. Should arrive around the same day anyway.

EDIT: Cancelled my EU order and got an NA one. I don't trust RSG to handle the DLC and the patches and would rather deal with account switching. Should arrive around the same day anyway.

Is there a reason to distrust RSG for that? Importing a game just for that reason seems extreme to me considering how much of a pain it is to swap accounts on Vita. (I have two Vitas and two PlayStation TVs just so I never have to do it.)

Is there a reason to distrust RSG for that? Importing a game just for that reason seems extreme to me considering how much of a pain it is to swap accounts on Vita. (I have two Vitas and two PlayStation TVs just so I never have to do it.)

I don't like the way RSG handled this release so far. Physical release only available in UK, only through amazon.co.uk and even priced a few GBP over normal Vita releases. Physical release 10 days after digital for some reason. And general bad experiences with EU DLC/patch support for smaller releases not specific to RSG. I have two Vitas as well, one on EU and one switching between US/JP so it's not a huge deal for me.

AlexIIDX

What's up with the DJ Rankings? Do you have to hit a certain score before you're placed on it? Looks like there's only 50 or less names up there.

edit: thanks for including my comment in the OT :D

Anyone try it on the PSTV yet? I know it works, just curious.

Works well, though there are a few interface bits that require you to turn on touch emulation to access. Seems weird that not everything has a physical control.

At Anime USA we had a PS TV running the game with a Dualshock 2 connected to an inPin adapter. Still worked well! (Still on the lookout for a good wired controller that consistently works with the PS TV... the one I bought specifically for that purpose ended up not working out.)

What's up with the DJ Rankings? Do you have to hit a certain score before you're placed on it? Looks like there's only 50 or less names up there.

Have you checked if you've enabled it in the options?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I CANNOT WAIT TO GET BIG BLAST SONIC AS DLC. A shame Shotgun & Head won't be DLC, but hey, least you can say "Zonic can play Big Blast Sonic on Superbeat Xonic".

I'm about level 43 & yes, as mentioned, the unlocks are so much better paced this time around. EVERY level gives you something, be it a new song, DJ icon, or sound effect (though I think that's mainly from World Tour). Also, starting at Level 40, you unlock characters from another Arc System Works fighter (spoilers, it's
BlazBlue
) which is kind of neat, even if I won't use most of them. It also feels as though I'm leveling up much faster, considering the larger amounts of EXP you can earn either via the Hard difficulty &/or the DJ Icons (I got one that gives me an additional 70% EXP), which in return acts as a risk/reward system since the higher the bonus EXP, the lower the HP/break shield/fever shield.

PM studio guy said there's a patch (1.02) that was pushed to scea. should arrive sometime this week unless SCEA forgot.
Hopefully this fixes the error that appears when you try to load the play count. Thankfully, this has been way less buggy compared to DJMAX Fever & Portable 3, otherwise.

Edit: Guilty Gear DLC pack is suppose to contain Starry Story, Jack-a-Dandy, & Big Blast Sonic.

Top Bottom