• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Bravely Second's "Tomahawk" class changed to a cowboy one (+ costume edit)

Weiss

Banned
Super okay with removing a stereotypical Injun costume.

I'm reminded of those weirdos who got mad that the costumes were covered and the cast was aged up for the NA release.

Squire

Banned
Uh, wouldn't the Tomahawk outfit itself being the one guilty of cultural appropriation?

Removal of Native American mascots and imagery is not considered censorship.

Yes. The person that sent this "tip" thinks they can pull a fast one.

Thoughts on this?

The character job in question was about as embarrassing and poorly-thought-out an example of cultural appropriation as you can get these days. It doesn't even have the excuse of being called something like "Warrior" and just using a Native style; it's literally named something intended to convey this idea of a magical Indian warrior to an audience that doesn't know anything about indigenous American people beyond offensive 50s-era movie stereotypes. It is, to be blunt, hot garbage.

Now when Nintendo sits down to bring over this game to the US -- the country where the people being stereotyped here actually live, and a country where awareness of how shit these stereotypes are and how widely misused they are has grown dramatically in the last couple decades -- they're stuck looking at the fact that while the rest of the content in the game might be just fine, this costume is going to be offensive (and just disruptive to the experience) for a big part of their audience. And not for any particular reason -- this isn't a major storyline point that might be offensive to some but nonetheless is central to the narrative, or a callback to some external reference that people are expecting to see, it's just the video game equivalent of the Sexy Indian Squaw costumes shitty people wear to Halloween parties.

Given all that, making this choice is a slam dunk. If you keep it, you give actual, real offense to people who are a part of your audience, just to preserve something minor and unimportant in the game; if you get rid of it, the only people you offend are the ones working themselves up into an artificial froth over how any and every localization change is "censorship." The former is a real concern for an actual; business reliant on long term customer dedication for success; the latter is an audience you're better off actively pissing off early on in the hopes that you don't have to hear about it from them every time you do your job.

Also, these statements from the article quoted in the OP are outlandishly foolish:

I find this very untasteful considering how natives were genocided and their culture was almost completely destroyed in the US.

Sadly, this fear of offending minorities is one of the reasons that so many minority characters in games are cut, or never planned to begin with.

The former reads like something someone who doesn't actually understand what people are complaining about in these situations trying to imagine how being offended works, and the second one is a bullshit excuse given disingenuously by people who never wanted to include minority characters in the first place.

As someone with Canadian First Nation's ancestry, this kind of stuff really rubs me the wrong way. It's such a half hearted effort when they're only changing the costume for some regions and not all.

PBalfredo

That article is so bizarrely written. "An offensive attempt to be unoffensive?" Did Destructoid become a GG site when I wasn't looking?

Eolz

So, this isn't even confirmed yet?

lol

Hence the "Rumor" at the start of the OP.
At least, it's still nice to talk about this and raise the issue rather than discovering everything at the last moment when they can't change anything anymore like it has been the case with NOA/8-4 (XCX, Fire Emblem, etc) and S-E (Bravely Default, DQVIII) lately...

As a side note is there ever a time where people feel wearing the native american costume in this game could be appropriate? I dunno if I could come up with one. If jobs were kind of like Final Fantasy 3 where you visit different regions in the world and they live amd train as different classes? So there is a village of dark knights, village of geomancers, village of bards etc? I dunno. You gotta be culturally sensitive when you have things like this in games.

I like that they are changing it though. Why offend people over something so irrelevant to the experience? I havent played the game but I imagine it isnt a big part?

As someone with Canadian First Nation's ancestry, this kind of stuff really rubs me the wrong way. It's such a half hearted effort when they're only changing the costume for some regions and not all.

I mean, they can't magically go back in time and fix the japanese version. I'm sure this change will be in both the EU and NA versions, presuming it's real. (I hope it is, cowgirl costume looks a lot better)

The former reads like something someone who doesn't actually understand what people are complaining about in these situations trying to imagine how being offended works, and the second one is a bullshit excuse given disingenuously by people who never wanted to include minority characters in the first place.

It's pretty clear that the tipster was trying to push some "reverse racism" agenda with comments like that.

- J - D -

I understand altering the sexy Native American g-string and underboob girl, but why change it to a cowboy? With the historical murkiness in the relationship between those two groups, that's fixing one problem and creating another.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
I'm a quarter native and honestly find the change annoying.

Cultural Appropriation can be a thing, but when it's a simple nod like a character design I see no issue.

If anything I think it's a good thing, it exposes people to the beauty of Native culture and art.

This stuff aside, the old outfit was significantly better looking.

Menome

The character job in question was about as embarrassing and poorly-thought-out an example of cultural appropriation as you can get these days. It doesn't even have the excuse of being called something like "Warrior" and just using a Native style; it's literally named something intended to convey this idea of a magical Indian warrior to an audience that doesn't know anything about indigenous American people beyond offensive 50s-era movie stereotypes. It is, to be blunt, hot garbage.

Now when Nintendo sits down to bring over this game to the US -- the country where the people being stereotyped here actually live, and a country where awareness of how shit these stereotypes are and how widely misused they are has grown dramatically in the last couple decades -- they're stuck looking at the fact that while the rest of the content in the game might be just fine, this costume is going to be offensive (and just disruptive to the experience) for a big part of their audience. And not for any particular reason -- this isn't a major storyline point that might be offensive to some but nonetheless is central to the narrative, or a callback to some external reference that people are expecting to see, it's just the video game equivalent of the Sexy Indian Squaw costumes shitty people wear to Halloween parties.

Given all that, making this choice is a slam dunk. If you keep it, you give actual, real offense to people who are a part of your audience, just to preserve something minor and unimportant in the game; if you get rid of it, the only people you offend are the ones working themselves up into an artificial froth over how any and every localization change is "censorship." The former is a real concern for an actual; business reliant on long term customer dedication for success; the latter is an audience you're better off actively pissing off early on in the hopes that you don't have to hear about it from them every time you do your job.

Also, these statements from the article quoted in the OP are outlandishly foolish:

IbhRETk.jpg

Sums up my thoughts neatly.

Alucrid

Banned

Cultural Appropriation can be a thing, but when it's a simple nod like a character design I see no issue.

If anything I think it's a good thing, it exposes people to the beauty of Native culture and art.

i'm trying to think about how this "exposes people to the beauty of Native culture and art" and i'm coming up with nothing

I see where that Destructoid journalist is going with this, but I still can't get behind the sexy halloween costume Native American class that's literally called Tomahawk. That's just... really in bad taste. The cowboy will probably not be any better but come on.

Some of the jobs costumes in the first Bravely Default were pretty dumb, especially the one's for from the 2 female party members, like the Spell Fencer job.

Out of curiosity do you find Shantae's outfit tasteless?

i'm trying to think about how this "exposes people to the beauty of Native culture and art" and i'm coming up with nothing

You find native americans wearing tribal headresses and face paint insulting? What?

Bearpowers

Neo Member

It's clearly native themed and looks nice.

But then again you have people who can't appreciate fanservice, people get so offended at these days it's annoying.

I don't see how a sexy native inspired outfit is in bad taste at all.

Sexuality is not bad and I don't see how it takes away from games.

entremet

I have no problems with this.

Companies do this all the time when localizing products for broader international appeal. They're just being sensitive toward individual audiences and political sensibilities.

This is especially prescient today in the light of the Washington Redskins ongoing controversy.

Warxard

Banned
As a side note is there ever a time where people feel wearing the native american costume in this game could be appropriate?

If your game has a village of natives that does the Native American trope, at least either:

a) be faithful to the tribe you're adapting to

or

b) make it stylistically unique and original as possible.

I think Breath of Fire IV did B very well with the Worent clan.

But then again you have people who can't appreciate fanservice, people get so offended at these days it's annoying.

Sexuality is not bad, no. Bastardizing an already troped-to-hell culture is shitty, none the less. It's 2015, and believe it or not most game developers have grown out of the 'sexy native american' garbage that grew out of american culture.

Progressives are becoming the modern day book burners.

I am a quarter (or so) Native American.

Dear white college kids, stop telling everybody else what to be offended by.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I guess I'm a bit desensitized since I live near an Indian Reservation (and worked there in the past as well, New Mexico) who seem to be diehead Washington Redskins fans (stickers are everywhere) so I wonder if this tribe would find this the least bit offensive, but whatever.

However, changing it to a Cowboy? You beat the Indian Boss and become a Cowboy? Is this right? Like, really? That's the change? Which is worse here?

Slayven

Nintendo doesn't want the problems turning a culture into a sexual fetish entails. That is why they scrapped the Mandingo class

Bearpowers

Neo Member
If your game has a village of natives that does the Native American trope, at least either:

a) be faithful to the tribe you're adapting to

or

b) make it stylistically unique and original as possible.

I think Breath of Fire IV did B very well with the Worent clan.

Sexuality is not bad, no. Bastardizing an already troped-to-hell culture is shitty, none the less. It's 2015, and believe it or not most game developers have grown out of the 'sexy native american' garbage that grew out of american culture.

As a native, I don't how it's bad at all

Balphon

So they change something that seems to be little more than a pastiche of stereotypes into something arguably more benign and are called out for being crass.

Oh, the irony.

Thorgi

Progressives are becoming the modern day book burners.

I am a quarter (or so) Native American.

Dear white college kids, stop telling everybody else what to be offended by.

Nintendo changing something on their own without anyone outside saying anything before said decision is not book burning.

Alucrid

Banned

You find native americans wearing tribal headresses and face paint insulting? What?

maybe you should try reading my comment again without your outrage glasses on

if you want sexy native american costumes, whatever, but don't try and pretend that it's going to serve a larger purpose than sexy native american costumes

Village

I guess I'm a bit desensitized since I live near an Indian Reservation (and worked there in the past as well, New Mexico) who seem to be diehead Washington Redskins fans (stickers are everywhere) so I wonder if this tribe would find this the least bit offensive, but whatever.

However, changing it to a Cowboy? You beat the Indian Boss and become a Cowboy? Is this right? Like, really? That's the change? Which is worse here?

Considering a bunch of native americans were the ones caling for the Washington's team to change their name. Maybe they would be, don't generalize all native Americans because you knew some once. They aren't a damn hive mind. This goes for all peoples, by the way.

NotLiquid

Tasteless usage aside I think I prefer the original design a little more. I dunno, the hat feels kinda tacky in the localized version. Both designs are pretty poor.

Johndoey

Banned

First off you being a quarter native is irrelevant to this issue and second "exposes people to the beauty of Native culture and art" how by using literally the most stereotypical depiction of a Native American that exists?

Psst. There is a middle ground between sexy g-string costume on non-native character and zero representation at all. Like, you know, having a native american character in a video game.
The post I was quoting was -
NinjaCoachZ said:
I'd be okay with this if true. Turning First Nations cultures into a class or a costume really wouldn't fly.
Obviously "Tomahawk" is one step beyond the tastelessness of a pro football team, but there's indeed a middleground and essentially removing the character instead of making tasteful changes while staying Native American is exactly at the 'zero representation' end of the spectrum.

My problem is not with the outfit itself (I think Shantae's awesome).

My only problem with how in Bravely Default the female characters usually get more scantily clad or "cute" costumes when male characters are typically exempt from that. This is especially shown in some of the jobs in the game and bonus outfits you can get. The spell fencer is just the most egregious example of this.

Crocodile

I think OP got confused. The costume itself would be appropriation, not its removal.

Yep. My thoughts exactly. And you can see it already in many games where the protagonist is some non-offensive bland Average Joe guy that simply possibly can't be taken the wrong. It's sad how far this has gone. Now even different cultures is deemed offensive. Absurd.

LOL are you serious? If people can't write a minority character without going deep on the stereotypes, sometimes to the point of offense, they need to become better writers and take a minute to do some research or just take the time to fucking talk to some people of the ethnicity in question. If the only way you can think to write a Native American person is to dress them tribal "Cowboys and Indians" attire, you've done goofed (though in this case its a costume and not so much a character). Minority X is just as much a human being as any other person and can be written as such.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Nintendo doesn't want the problems turning a culture into a sexual fetish entails. That is why they scrapped the Mandingo class

Humans are inherently sexual, out main purpose for existing to literally to make humans.

There's nothing wrong with feeling sexual attraction towards things, I honestly have a few fetishes myself like glasses and stockings.

Sexualizing clothing is harmless

Nudull

Banned
Good on them, if true. Appropriation is stupid.

I have to ask though; quite a few people seem to agree that it's offensive/tasteless, but not with the developers changing or removing it because "that would be censorship"? Kind of a mixed message, there.

Ridley327

I imagine that they're not stopping at just the job costume itself.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
maybe you should try reading my comment again without your outrage glasses on

if you want sexy native american costumes, whatever, but don't try and pretend that it's going to serve a larger purpose than sexy native american costumes

It's fanservice, the purpose it serves is to be eye candy and there's nothing wrong with that.

Top Bottom