• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fine Bros back down after internet backlash, rescind all "React" trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skux

VhcQGik.gif

WE DID IT INTERNET

After a massive internet backlash and the loss of nearly 300,000 subscribers, Fine Bros Entertainment has capitulated and apologised, rescinding all "React" trademark applications, discontinuing the React World program, and releasing all videos that were blocked under Content ID claims. A great day for content creators.

Official statement:
https://medium.com/@FineBrothersEnt/a-message-from-the-fine-brothers-a18ef9b31777

A message from the Fine Brothers

Hello,

We’re here to apologize.

We realize we built a system that could easily be used for wrong. We are fixing that. The reality that trademarks like these could be used to theoretically give companies (including ours) the power to police and control online video is a valid concern, and though we can assert our intentions are pure, there’s no way to prove them.

We have decided to do the following:

1. Rescind all of our “React” trademarks and applications.*

2. Discontinue the React World program.

3. Release all past Content ID claims.**

The concerns people have about React World are understandable, and that people see a link between that and our past video takedowns, but those were mistakes from an earlier time. It makes perfect sense for people to distrust our motives here, but we are confident that our actions will speak louder than these words moving forward.

This has been a hard week. Our plan is to keep making great content with the help of our amazing staff. Thank you for your time and for hearing us out.

Sincerely,

Benny and Rafi Fine

*This includes “React,” “Kids React,” “Elders React,” “Lyric Breakdown,” etc. Please note: It takes a while for the databases to update, but the necessary paperwork has been filed.

**Content ID is YouTube’s copyright system that automatically flags content that looks like or sounds like copyrighted content. This mostly flags videos that are direct re-uploads of our videos (which is what the system is built for), but if you know of a video that has been claimed or removed incorrectly, please email us with “false claim” in the subject line.

This is what it took to change their minds:

jbOhKQY.png

To quote myself from the other thread:

They didn't do this because they wanted to. They did this under pressure. They listened, but not to the internet and their "Update." video has already shown us that. We had beef and all they did was yap about how WE were the ones confused despite their previous actions.

The only light that went on above their heads was the one in the interrogation room with their sponsors.

nib95

Banned
From the other thread.

Good job internet.

FGkIQLJ.gif

Not that I think any better of the Fine Brothers. They had no choice. They were losing subs and goodwill rapidly, and they'd have lost the trademarks too with growing legal opposition, maybe sponsors too. These are some greedy, insincere and shady dudes who got caught out in a bad way.

weshes195

I still want to see them lose 1 million subscribers, those a-holes.

Too bad people will probably calm down soon and stop un-subscribing.

SegaShack

Of course they would. Their apology video was really great too. Their videos were always dumb, but I think I wouldn't care so much if their announcement video didn't talk about how they were making the media world better and all this shit. They are probably still gonna lose subscribers though.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Good on them for backing down. Not that they'd have much choice if they didn't want to get sued and/or lambasted forever on the internet; but still, good on them.

I mean, they're still trash that had teens react to a mass shooting and they monetized the video, but at least they don't own the word "React" as it pertains to internet videos and aren't trying to create a bad Pyramid scheme any more.

Sky Chief

I definitely don't think that the internet can forgive them fully yet. My thoughts from the other thread:

Honestly, until this week I had no idea who these guys were. Normally, I always give people second chances but after seeing all their previous actions regarding Ellen, Sandy Hook, etc... I don't know if I can. I still feel like they're greedy, delusional, extremely hypocritical, and just all around douches but they ultimately did the right thing even though I believe it was solely out of self preservation and not because they realized that they were morally wrong.

ViciousDS

Banned
It's not even close to that. Do some research on trademarks and how they work.

They were trying to trademark react

Just like they trademarked teens react and adults react.

Ubisoft gets in dispute with trademark over EA

It's all trademark bullshit. Whether or not they it's a different type of trademark dispute, its bullshit.....over.....again....a trademark

Savitar

I say give them a few more lumps and slowly back off once they prove themselves not planning anything more when people calm down.

nib95

Banned
I say give them a few more lumps and slowly back off once they prove themselves not planning anything more when people calm down.

Agreed. Several million lost subs would still be justified imo, though in all likelihood they'll probably not lose a substantial amount more, and recover soon enough.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
1. Rescind all of our “React” trademarks and applications.*
2. Discontinue the React World program.
3. Release all past Content ID claims.**

1. Time for me to trademark "React"
2. Start a React World program

Mwhahahahaha

They were trying to trademark react

Just like they trademarked teens react and adults react.

Ubisoft gets in dispute with trademark over EA

It's all trademark bullshit. Whether or not they it's a different type of trademark dispute, its bullshit.....over.....again....a trademark

Ubisoft have a trademark for Ghost for videogames. The word.

TFB wanted to not only trademark the word REACT, but the idea of reacting, and the principle of showing someones reaction to pretty much anything.

They also had to fight EA or else they would have lost said trademark.

ViciousDS

Banned
Ubisoft have a trademark for Ghost for videogames. The word.

TFB wanted to not only trademark the word REACT, but the idea of reacting, and the principle of showing someones reaction to pretty much anything.

They also had to fight EA or else they would have lost said trademark.

So my original argument that these trademarks are bullshit still stands

Good to know

Fucking Sunhi the legend!!!!

From the other thread.

Not that I think any better of the Fine Brothers. They had no choice. They were losing subs and goodwill rapidly, and they'd have lost the trademarks too with growing legal opposition, maybe sponsors too. These are some greedy, insincere and shady dudes who got caught out in a bad way.

They're definitely not getting my sub back, this isn't a case of them realizing their mistake, this is them backing off for now so they can rethink the plan. The sheer fact that they even attempted this means most people who unsubbed will stay unsubbed.

WE DID IT INTERNET

After a massive internet backlash and the loss of 250,000 subscribers, Fine Bros Entertainment has capitulated and apologised, rescinding all "React" trademark applications, discontinuing the React World program, and releasing all videos that were blocked under Content ID claims. A great day for content creators.

https://medium.com/@FineBrothersEnt/a-message-from-the-fine-brothers-a18ef9b31777#.1fkolaxx6

This is what it took to change their minds:

jbOhKQY.png

That's a regular ole Fox News graph if I've ever seen one

Tripon

Surprised they also dropped react world. You don't need to trademark the word React to basically run a licensing program. They would have still found some suckers to license from them.

Kazaam

I wonder if they'll make a new video to compliment the written apology since it might be easier to reach out to some of their angry fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom