• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DX12 update for Tomb Raider out now

kuYuri

I did the benchmark with DX11 and DX12.

I got 68 fps in DX11 and 65-66 fps on DX12. No performance improvements on my end.

i7 4790k@ 4.0
GTX 980 Ti
16GB RAM

Papagaio

Banned
Performance is crap, stutters a lot.
Going to just try dx11 again to make sure though.
Gtx 970 1550/3900mhz
I7 3770 4.23ghz
2200mhz 16gb ram cl11
Steam version

i have a similar pc, its no stuttering for me apparently just crashing

But i got a 20% boost on dx12, from 44~ to 52~

LilJoka

i have a similar pc, its no stuttering for me apparently just crashing

But i got a 20% boost on dx12, from 44~ to 52~

Im running very close to locked 60 in the area I'm testing with dx11, runs worse in dx12 due to pauses but can't get RTSS to show me the fps in dx12.

Banned
Aw shit VXAO only works on steam? Bye bye Xbox achievements. Will pick up steam version instead.

RIP VXAO for Xbox W10 games.

Just tried the benchmark for dx11 and dx2 on my 3770k and 780ti(all factory settings atm).

All settings very high except for high on texture quality, sun shadows, shadow quality, and level of detail(settings reduced due to rampant stutter due to VRAM). Also no AA.

DX12 nets a small 3-5 fps average on the benchmark. Averaging 55+fps on the aggregate.

Might try again with overclocking.

Papagaio

Banned
m8ICiEx.png

in a area where i was getting 40fps on dx11...i got 52 on dx12

have you guys tried DDU?

mcrommert

Banned
Because of the closed nature of UWAs. There have been a few threads on it.

You know if you don't know, you could just not answer.

VXAO implementation needs more direct link to nvidia's software (like sli profiles) as of this moment uwp isn't feature advanced enough...

EDIT: Here is the correct info

I assume that VXAO doesn't work on winstore version because it uses NVAPI, which doesn't have any mechanism for traversing the UWA sandbox.

Stanng243

You know if you don't know, you could just not answer.

VXAO implementation needs more direct link to nvidia's software (like sli profiles) as of this moment uwp isn't feature advanced enough...

How was I wrong? The windows store uses UWA, which Nvidia's software cannot access?

It's now expected that DX12 runs worse than DX11 on Nvidia. The signs have been there for months.

It would be more interesting to see:
- How AMD performs
- To run the benchmark in the Steam version and UWA to see if they perform differently

anthn

Pretty much every benchmark on the net I've seen so far is DX11 VXAO off vs DX12 VXAO on, and people are saying DX12 is worse.

Is everyone in here testing with an apples to apples comparison? Just curious.

wazoo

Pretty much every benchmark on the net I've seen so far is DX11 VXAO off vs DX12 VXAO on, and people are saying DX12 is worse.

Is everyone in here testing with an apples to apples comparison? Just curious.

VXAO is off in DX12.

Harlequin

Anyone have impressions with AMD hardware?

With the latest AMD driver (16.3) installed, I'm getting slight improvements on an R9 Fury (1080p):

DX11 Overall: 57.91
Mountain Peak: 60.00
Syria: 58.48
Geothermal Valley: 55.34

DX12 Overall: 59.27
Mountain Peak: 58.09
Syria: 59.87
Geothermal Valley: 59.95

The Geothermal Valley definitely felt quite a bit smoother on DX12 (at least in the benchmark, haven't tried it in gameplay yet).

With the previous driver, I did get about 8FPS less on average with DX12, though, so I guess those who're getting worse performance on AMD GPUs with DX12 are still on the old driver.

With the latest AMD driver (16.3) installed, I'm getting slight improvements on an R9 Fury (1080p):

DX11 Overall: 57.91
Mountain Peak: 60.00
Syria: 58.48
Geothermal Valley: 55.34

DX12 Overall: 59.27
Mountain Peak: 58.09
Syria: 59.87
Geothermal Valley: 59.95

1-2% improvement is HUGELY disappointing, tho. It should be 15-20%

Imagine developers working for months to port the engine... and the result is a 2% improvement? It's absurd.

If all that time was simply spent on optimizing better DX11 there could have been a huge boost.

At this point spending resources on DX12 would be simply a waste of money and time if that's the result. Plus negative performance on Nvidia.

How do I turn on VXAO? I'm too stupid to find it.

It's in the Ambient Occlusion setting after HBAO+. Only available on DX11.

Like previously quoted, VXAO is an Nvidia GameWorks effect, not a DX12 specific thing.

The benchmark seems to give me better min framerate in Geothermal Valley scene, but using Shadowplay FPS counter it looks like during normal gameplay there was still some performance loss. My guess is you need to be severely hampered by CPU for the current DX12 implementation to be beneficial in this game. So AMD CPUs and slower/non-oc Intel CPUs might see gains, for the rest it's better to stick to DX11.

ISee

It's in the Ambient Occlusion setting after HBAO+. Only available on DX11.

Like previously quoted, VXAO is an Nvidia GameWorks effect, not a DX12 specific thing.

The benchmark seems to give me better min framerate in Geothermal Valley scene, but using Shadowplay FPS counter it looks like during normal gameplay there was still some performance loss. My guess is you need to be severely hampered by CPU for the current DX12 implementation to be beneficial in this game. So AMD CPUs and slower/non-oc Intel CPUs might see gains, for the rest it's better to stick to DX11.

It's only available on DX11 and only on Nvidia cards. Should be in the graphics menu under the Ambient Occlusion setting.

That explains stuff thx.

KainXVIII

Imagine developers working for months to port the engine... and the result is a 2% improvement? It's absurd.

If all that time was simply spent on optimizing better DX11 there could have been a huge boost.

At this point spending resources on DX12 would be simply a waste of money and time if that's the result. Plus negative performance on Nvidia.

Yeah, same will be with Vulkan i guess.

Typical Nvidia Tech. Twice the price, same product.
Wow, so salty before even understanding the situation.

So, WinStore version in about 10-12 days, right? :lol.

Edit: Holy shit, they can't use VXAO in the Windows Store version? What the hell.

windows apps were really not designed to be used for huge games, I think it's silly that microsoft are even trying.

_machine

15-20% is probably too much overall to expect, but in any case you shouldn't expect this things to work instantly well. There are usually a lot of growing pains (DX10 especially took a while to get running, and generally was less stable throughout the games, or like the overall move to this generation on consoles). For the full effect developers simply need more time to iterate and start designing for the target platform.

Maxey

I have an Intel i5-4690K 3.50Ghz, 8 GB DDR3 and a Radeon HD7870 2GB GDDR5 and I decided to make a comparative benchmark with the game set to the lowest graphical settings but for some reason DX12 mode caps the game to 60fps even with vsync off, so I'm not sure if I got a proper comparison done.

DX11 results:

DX12 results:

So what's the deal here? DX11 still seems better even with my lower end card.

Demise

I have an Intel i5-4690K 3.50Ghz, 8 GB DDR3 and a Radeon HD7870 2GB GDDR5 and I decided to make a comparative benchmark with the game set to the lowest graphical settings but for some reason DX12 mode caps the game to 60fps even with vsync off, so I'm not sure if I got a proper comparison done.

DX11 results:

DX12 results:

Maybe it's meant to be run on nvidia cards. Like many pc stuff, sad and unfair but you should be used to it.

DX11 results:

DX12 results:

Look at your minimums... the framerate is so much more stable in dx12 interestingly.

People in this thread in general have to stop looking only at the averages and maxes.... those do not represent gameplay/frame quality. But the average depression you are seeing is untypical, I imagine it is a compat problem at the moment, your min frames should be higher as they are, but you should not see such a depression.

tuxfool

Banned
People in this thread in general have to stop looking only at the averages and maxes.... those do not represent gameplay/frame quality. But the average depression you are seeing is untypical, I imagine it is a compat problem at the moment, your min frames should be higher as they are, but you should not see such a depression.

I'll Repeat.

The minimum frame rates are almost as important as the average frame rate. If you have acceptable averages, the next thing you should check are your minimums as there is no point in having 87 fps on a monitor that doesn't support it.

The results of the original poster are actually pretty good, hovering consistently around 50s. no matter the scene. By contrast the dx11 results are all over the place. This Dx12 implementation is going to take a bit of work, but with some optimization a person is potentially in a much better position.

Top Bottom