• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Technology Development (NTD) looking for a SW Engineers with UE4 familiarity

CONTRACT - Software Engineer in Test, Networking (NTD) (160000004A)
https://nintendo.taleo.net/careerse...l?job=160000004A&lang=en#.V3KuLnq4KWw.twitter

CONTRACT - Software Engineer, Graphics Engine (NTD) (160000003Z)
https://nintendo.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?job=160000003Z&lang=en&src=SNS-10380

In both:

SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS

• BS or MS in related field (MS preferred)
  • Excellent programming skills and knowledge of C
  • Excellent software design, problem solving and debugging skills
  • OpenGL or DirectX programming recommended
  • Familiarity with existing game engines (such as UE4) is a plus

Pretty good hint at potential UE4 support on NX I would think. :)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Anything else would be nuts - obv. familiarity with one of the most used game engines is appreciated.
That should i guess mean that it will be at least on par with Xbox One hardware?

UE4 is on mobiles as well - doesnt mean much.

L Thammy

They're probably going to rip off Unreal Engine and make Super Mario Maker 2: AAA World
Free to all nindies

Didn't know NeoGAF doubled as a jobs listing website.

Which is the less creepy solution to the desire for Nintendo news: looking through jobs listings or looking through Retro's windows?

Neoxon

So is Nintendo finally gonna adopt existing engines for their games or is this just for making sure such engines work on the NX Platform?

Regiruler

Wait where is the job located? This is exactly the career path I am looking for.

EDIT: At NoA? I'd apply in a fucking heartbeat if my education was further along :(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Glad to see Nintendo finally getting with basic compatibility of modern engines.

It would be far more concerning if they didn't have atleast flexibility with engine toolsets. And they obviously are going to launch a unit capable of using that engine. Its 2016

Parham

Banned
UE4 support is probably a given. That said, the posting says they're looking for people that have familiarity with any existing modern game engine, including, and probably not limited to, UE4. They likely want people who work with these tools and understand what kind of expectations developers have when building their games for the NX.

thefro

Not shocking news, but it's nice to get some information to corroborate the rumors earlier this year about NX having Unreal 4 & Unity support out of the box.

So is Nintendo finally gonna adopt existing engines for their games or is this just for making sure such engines work on the NX Platform?

Seems like it's for the System OS. This doesn't mean that the System OS is a wreck and they're putting in UE4 support late, just that they need more headcount.

LewieP

Interesting.

I imagine that robust UE4, Unity and hopefully Game Maker support for the NX home console and handheld are a dead cert.

Many of the games that I think they'd have a good chance at getting are on these.

They need to minimize the amount of platform specific work required to release on their hardware as much as possible if they want any kind of third party support.

Vena

UE4? Japan is saved!*

I mean I feel like they're going to delay this thing. This feels like something they should've had 9-12 months ago.

For a hiring? Headcounts change all the time. Read thefro's post. They've been working on UE4/Unity support (as has been leaked) for some time and want it 'out of the box' ready.

*If NX is a handheld with UE4.

Harlock

Mario in Unreal 4 engine, why not?

super-mario-mercedes.jpg

I've heard of NERD before but that may just be because its dumb name turns heads.

NERD are former ActImagine/MobiClip folks, you probably heard about them for their eponymous video codec used in Professor Layton games.

After the acqiural by Nintendo, they've made Wii U Internet Browser, Nintendo DS emulator for Wii U Virtual Console and the technology behind downloadable Wii games on Wii U.

KingBroly

Banned
NERD are former ActImagine/MobiClip folks, you probably heard about them for their eponymous video codec used in Professor Layton games.

After the acqiural by Nintendo, they've made Wii U Internet Browser, Nintendo DS emulator for Wii U Virtual Console and the technology behind downloadable Wii games on Wii U.

So NERD is the reason the Wii U VC emulators are shit?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Great news for portability. When it comes to scalability, Unreal Engine 4 is awesome.

So NERD is the reason the Wii U VC emulators are shit?

NERD has only made the DS one, and it's, as homebrewers report, a very solid and good-engineered piece of software. Being slightly modified, it even allows playing DS games (any ones - the injection process is pretty straightforward) with double native resolution.

Another good Wii U VC emulator is the GBA one, made by none other than M2.

So, (other) Nintendo's emulators are subpar, but definitely not because of NERD.

TheJoRu

Isn't DS emulation pretty damn good on the Wii U? I sure can't complain about how well they figured out the downloadable Wii games, either.

Yep, it's good. So is the downloadable Wii games; Gamepad support is pretty great. I don't know what else they've done, but everything on DownGrader's list is stuff that I think were well done.

Cuburt

Why does the discussion automatically shift to being/or not being a sign about power?

I'd actually find these threads interesting if it was about discussing relevant shit like "What does that mean for 1st party/2nd party use of a 3rd party engines?" "Is Nintendo trying to build a comparably featured engine?" "Is Nintendo taking steps to provide UE4 support for people developing on their console, similar to Unity with the Wii U?" etc. etc.

Top Bottom