• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Pokemon Go International Launch Paused in Wake of Server Troubles

Chaos17

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07...rver-troubles?abthid=57801c00f571300a1900000f

By Jonathon Dornbush Pokemon Go has begun rolling out around the world this week, but any further debuts in territories that have yet to get the game have been "paused" while developer Niantic Labs addresses the game's server issues.

Speaking with Business Insider, Niantic CEO John Hanke said that the developer is aware of the server problems preventing players from launching the game and are currently hard at work finding solutions to those issues. However, while Niantic focuses on those repairs, the game's release in other regions like the U.K. and the Netherlands has been "paused until we're comfortable," according to Hanke.

The official Pokemon Go Twitter account tweeted out a similar message to Hanke's statement, saying "Thank you for your patience. We have been working to fix the server issues. We will continue rolling out Pokemon GO to new countries soon.

GN has reached out to Niantic for further comment regarding the game's release date in other territories and will update should they respond.

Pokemon Go first launched in Australia and New Zealand earlier this week on July 6 before appearing on the United States iOS App Store and Android Google Play store on July 7.

Hanke said Niantic "thought the game would be popular," but that the immediate popularity of the app still surprised the developer.

There has been an upside to Pokemon Go's launch, as well, with Nintendo's shares rising 10 percent in the wake of the app's launch.

An app that let you meet people who share the same passion as you. No wonder the servers burned.

A couple people in at my local park put down some lures close together and it ended up causing a random meet up! About 30 random people grouped up to catch pokemon!
8uX9VAy.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/...ple_people_in_at_my_local_park_put_down_some/

The lure was supposed to bring more Pokemon. Instead it brought together people who would've never met otherwise.
du2vpdF.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4rszbc/the_lure_was_supposed_to_bring_more_pokemon/

4 adjacent lures at Melbourne Central, 11pm on a Friday night
yMWJQSM.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4ruxc9/4_adjacent_lures_at_melbourne_central_11pm_on_a/

QLYSXLn.png

Lock if old

EDIT: the appeal is so massive that some shops and school "joined" the fun

FZZ

Banned
Yeah too many people playing this

sucks because I was alpha testing but the app was so ass I wasn't able to play a good amount, and now with the US release its still ass for me sometimes albeit the game is actually playable now

Nightbird

The IP is 20 years old.

And it's on Track to be the most popular it has ever been

because of an App.

Simply incredible

The release of Pokemon Bank brought the Eshop to its knees, I don't think there was any way to prepare for the kind of traffic that Pokemon Go brought on such a tremendously large platform.

I guess the target audience is everyone for mobile. Someone redo that meme

I'm actually surprised of how widespread this is. Much more then I expected.

Niantic assumed "Very" popular when they should be assuming "Our Servers Are Melting We Need To Rent Out A Village Full Of Servers" popular.

Kouriozan

Pokémon Bank broke the eShop for a long time and it was only released in Japan at that time, they should have seen this coming.

Fox Mulder

I'm in the US and the play store says it's not available in my country.

Is everyone just downloading an APK then?

eyesradar

Pokémon Bank broke the eShop for a long time and it was only released in Japan at that time, they should have seen this coming.

Omg this is so nostalgic lol. I still remember that everyone was soooo desperately trying to get their perfect breeding dittos over to G6 lol.

Azuran

Banned
LMAO they knew this team was going to be big at the start so why the hell couldn't they get the servers working in time? It's like they didn't learn anything from the Poke Bank travesty.

What a joke.

I am super upset that we can't play the game yet in the rest of the world. It sucks that during the only time it's going to be in the public spotlight we can't even download it in Europe.

Edit: Also, I can't stand vague statements like "soon" or "when we are comftrable"; just give a damn release date, jeez...

Chaos17

LMAO they knew this team was going to be big at the start so why the hell couldn't they get the servers working in time? It's like they didn't learn anything from the Poke Bank travesty.

What a joke.

It's not Nintendo who manages the servers but Niantis. That's why a part of me is sad that Nintendo isn't the one who manages it directly after commisiong it.
Nitendo could've managed at least the PR part, many doesn't even know that Niantis has a twitter account for the game for example because of that -.-'

Izuna

Banned
I wish this was available on Windows Phone so I could join the fun... :(

I haven't liked Pokémon since I was around 9 (Red, Yellow etc.) and this is the one game that makes me remember how much I loved it as a kid.

And yet I can't play it..

Mr Swine

Banned
Seeing how Sweden still hasn't gotten Miitomo yet I suspect that we won't get Pokemon Go until next year at least :(

Cranzor

A lot of people in this thread are mentioning Nintendo, but does Nintendo have anything to do with this game? I thought anything Pokemon related on a non-Nintendo platform was handled entirely by the Pokemon Company (and Niantic in this case, of course).

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I've lost interest in the game because of how long they're taking to release it here in Canada.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A lot of people in this thread are mentioning Nintendo, but does Nintendo have anything to do with this game? I thought anything Pokemon related on a non-Nintendo platform was handled entirely by the Pokemon Company (and Niantic in this case, of course).

Considering they were promoting it actively during Treehouse at E3, I'm guessing they're very involved. They're even producing a wristband for it.

They kind of sort of have to.

They don't want to take away from the appeal of the main games, so every design decision for GO has to be weighed against that.

They shouldn't be afraid of this.

More robust battle, breeding, and training mechanics and the "game universe" of the core games are appealing enough on their own. I mean, right now Pokémon is a more reliable tentpole than freaking Mario.

Pokémon Go should focus primarily on getting people to go out into the real world to capture Pokémon and interact with other trainers, and that's exactly what it's doing. That excitement will spill over naturally to the main games if that experience is appealing enough.

They shouldn't be afraid of this.

More robust battle, breeding, and training mechanics and the "game universe" of the core games are appealing enough on their own. I mean, right now Pokémon is a more reliable tentpole than freaking Mario.

Pokémon Go should focus primarily on getting people to go out into the real world to capture Pokémon and interact with other trainers, and that's exactly what it's doing. That excitement will spill over naturally to the main games if that experience is appealing enough.

I really don't think it will when the price and inconvenience of the mainline games are so much greater, but I guess we'll see.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm really glad I downloaded the APK so I could play (Canada). I really hope they keep this in for any future Pokemon releases on smart phone.

Mik2121

Well, at least they finally said something...
Oh man, next country that should be up for launch is Japan, I fear the servers won't live again.
Yeah, I could see it getting pretty bad. I live in Osaka and even the ingress community is pretty big and active, so I could see the Pokemon GO one to become quite something. There are some 6 or 7 portals below my office (my office building is a famous tourism spot as well), so if they use them for poke stops and gyms, it's gonna be great :D

Chaos17

How could they not expect this.

Personaly, I'm really surprised that people are willing to make the effort irl to go catch pokemons.

Heck even at 1 am some people go out catch pokemon!

Why the fuck am I outside my house at 1am in my underwear trying to catch a meowth?
xe4vFhI.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/4rmu0t/why_the_fuck_am_i_outside_my_house_at_1am_in_my/

To me it's just surreal, I would've never expected such strong respond from mobile users. Like seriously who have made the effort to try to hatch some vituals eggs by walking/car/byscicle ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4rvmbt/so_this_is_the_most_meta_thing_ive_seen_so_far/

And you can read some many testemonies like that all over Reddit or internet. It's just amazing how each person have their own story to tell.

Top Bottom