• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Pokemon Go International Launch Paused in Wake of Server Troubles

They really need to have updates often to keep this game going. Its a great start, but they gotta capitalize. We should start seeing other generation very soon. Trading will be huge if they get it out fast enough.

If they keep the momentum I could see Sun and Moon doing far better than most Pokemon games in recent memory.

Chaos17

People who I never associated with playing Pokemon or games are playing it... my mom is playing it... Wtf.

At least you mother won't complain you're not going out enough ^^

8UVLLHt.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/..._thought_i_could_get_to_say_this_and_mean_it/

Daeda

On the bright side, they explicitly name The Netherlands so thats good I guess. I can wait a bit longer.

SoulUnison

Banned
I walked around in what passes for a downtown in my city earlier and there were tons of singles and groups wandering around glued to their phones. Drive across town to a park and saw groups of friends walking in circles around the place to hit every PokeStop.

Wish I could actually interact with the app, though. Constant freezing and "Try Again Later."

Can't seem to do Gym Battles at all because they just hang or the opposing Mon stays at 1HP and becomes invincible...

What was the beta test for if some of this really simple stuff is still happening?

Like, it seems as though they don't have a framework in place for, say, multiple people attacking a Gym at the same time - it just completely confuses the game until it breaks.

Noobcraft

It's super popular on campus at my university. I heard about someone walking into a tree at a park on campus and there are tons of people walking around with their phones in AR lol.

Chaos17

Can't seem to do Gym Battles at all because they just hang or the opposing Mon stays at 1HP and becomes invincible...

Yup, bug since beta

DONT SPAM THE APP BY TAPPING A MILLION TIMES. In beta, there was a huge bug where if you tapped a bunch of times without letting the app catch up, the opponent’s Pokemon would get stuck at 1 hp and keep attacking all of your Pokemon. Honestly, just wait until the animation is close to finished before tapping again and you should be fine and still do the same amount of damage.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209378425&postcount=50

Ferrio

Banned
They really need to have updates often to keep this game going. Its a great start, but they gotta capitalize. We should start seeing other generation very soon. Trading will be huge if they get it out fast enough.

If they keep the momentum I could see Sun and Moon doing far better than most Pokemon games in recent memory.

They need social aspects in game before anything else. Stuff like having an option to have your position/teamcolor show up on other players maps, trading etc.

a916

So it hasn't launched in Canada because of all these filthy Americans crashing the servers... wowwwwww.

noshten

Fox Reacts to Pokemon Go

Mike Schultz, a 21-year-old communications graduate on Long Island, New York, took a spill on his skateboard as he stared at his phone while cruising for critters early Thursday. He cut his hand on the sidewalk after hitting a big crack, and blames himself for going too slowly.

"I just wanted to be able to stop quickly if there were any Pokemons nearby to catch," he says. "I don't think the company is really at fault."

Zubats and Paras have appeared on car dashboards. Caterpies have been spotted at intersections . Police in Darwin, Australia, have even asked players not to waltz into their station, which of course is a Pokestop in the game.

"You don't actually have to step inside in order to gain the pokeballs," the Northern Territory Police Fire and Emergency Services says on its Facebook page.

Twisted ankles, mishaps with revolving doors and walking into trees have been among the painful results.

Lindsay Plunkett, a 23-year-old waitress in Asheville, North Carolina, made a point on Friday of parking six blocks away from the restaurant where she works, instead of the usual three. "Just so I could get some more Pokestops on the way," she says.

She's still nursing a bruised shin from the previous night, when she and her boyfriend spent hours wandering downtown in the rain. She tripped over a cinder block that had been used as a doorstop at a local women's museum.

At least the game has one failsafe — you can't hatch digital eggs while driving. That requires slower in-person movement in the real world. "It doesn't count as walking if you're going more than 20 miles per hour, so that's good, I guess," Plunkett says.

The game is causing more than just server troubles - this is a safety hazard please watch where you are walking people.

Huh, so this is what happens when Nintendo put their IP on hardware people actually own.

Makes you think.

I think it's because the concept is really cool and makes sense for the hardware. If it were literally a regular Pokemon game on the iPhone it wouldn't be nearly as successful.

SpudBud

Hopefully whatever nintendo has in store for Animal Crossing is something cool. That and pokemon seem like such a good fit for phones.

SalvaPot

I don't think Pokemon will ever be as big as it was in the late 90s. Pokemon was THE shit back then.

Back then it didn't made my mom actually download it to know what the fuss was all about.

And then sending me pictures of her cute vulpix. At 6am.

Yeah and every mainline Pokemon is still the best selling game on their respective platform.

Expect DS, New Super Mario Bros outsold it.

And Game Boy, Tetris outsold it.

But all the other ones, sure!

hohoXD123

To me it's just surreal, I would've never expected such strong respond from mobile users. Like seriously who have made the effort to try to hatch some vituals eggs by walking/car/byscicle ?

You underestimate mobile users, we're talking about people who would get through hundreds of levels of candy crush. Don't mistake their disinterest in 90% of the stuff talked about on here with an inability to get hooked on a game.

Pokemaniac

This is unsurprising. The Pokémon Trainer Club login servers haven't been functional for nearing 36 hours at this point.

Pokémon Bank broke the eShop for a long time and it was only released in Japan at that time, they should have seen this coming.

If Pokémon Bank was the only contributing factor, that outage probably wouldn't have lasted anywhere near as long as it did. It was likely really a combination of Pokémon Bank, Christmas, and eShop->NNID account conversion.

The impromptu meetups are probably my favorite part about this phenomenon. Leave it to Nintendo to craft these kinds of experiences.

The memes went viral too.

Chaos17

You underestimate mobile users, we're talking about people who would get through hundreds of levels of candy crush. Don't mistake their disinterest in 90% of the stuff talked about on here with an inability to get hooked on a game.

Candy crush players needed to walk to play their game ? o_O

Personaly, I'm really surprised that people are willing to make the effort irl to go catch pokemons.

Heck even at 1 am some people go out catch pokemon!

To me it's just surreal, I would've never expected such strong respond from mobile users. Like seriously who have made the effort to try to hatch some vituals eggs by walking/car/byscicle ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4rvmbt/so_this_is_the_most_meta_thing_ive_seen_so_far/

And you can read some many testemonies like that all over Reddit or internet. It's just amazing how each person have their own story to tell.
HOLY SHIT I'm dying over the egg hatching part. I used to waste hours trying to breed Pokemon at the daycare and hatch the eggs by switching between a route and town

MuchoMalo

Banned
Ingress and geocaching has been a thing so no.

All of this shit, traffic accidents, and stabbings within 24 hours? It's basically the return of Pokemania in a much more dangerous form. Unless the fad dies quickly, something's gonna go wrong.

Daft Punk

Banned
The IP is 20 years old.

And it's on Track to be the most popular it has ever been

because of an App.

Simply incredible

Is it really as shocking as everyone is making it? It's literally putting Pokemon into the real world, the dream of every little boy and girl from 1996 and up. What's more shocking is that it took them this long to make it.

There are photos circulating of people playing naked and pokemons apearing on their... Well you know. Unless they do it on purpose still kinda funny and scary haha

Top Bottom