• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piccolo was a black man (DBZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is strange cultural thing I've noticed. I got to an HBCU and just about everyone I discuss anime with agrees that Piccolo was a black man.

main-qimg-20205743b5fd8a961d47fcb978dba53f

It's uncanny. In terms of personality, his strong demeanor mixed with his vast kindness greatly contrasted with the moral simplicity of his saiyan/human allies and really set him apart.

piccolo_driving_clothes.jpg

Furthermore, as we were introduced to planet Namek and its natives, watching them brutalized by the powers that be was a distinct analogue to abuses impacted upon the black race. It's hard to express, but I sympathized on a level deeper than I should have when I saw those images on screen of Friza's troops murdering Namekians.

Personally, for myself growing up, when positive portrayals of adult black men in media were hard to find, Piccolo was an empowering figure. Of course, the cartoons and whatnot in the 90s had that trademark diversity amongst children and teens, but as far as specifically black MEN are concerned Piccolo was awesome to witness.

Lamel

Banned
Now that I think about it, DBZ was really progressive in the sense that they made Goku (white man pretty much) the terrible father and Piccolo Gohan's real loving dad. Combatting stereotypes from day 1.

Then again, DBZ also has Mr. Popo, so...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It also had to do with both of his dub voices(ocean and funimation) being particularly deep and him being a more laid back character for most of DBZ.

qcf x2

Now that I think about it, DBZ was really progressive in the sense that they made Goku (white man pretty much) the terrible father and Piccolo Gohan's real loving dad.

Yeah, Japan didn't wanna give us TOO much.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Namek is literally Space Africa.

Technically....I'd say that moniker's more appropriate for Planet Vegeta. They were enslaved, as opposed to Namek where it was just simply genocide. In that sense, Namek is more like Space Virginia.

Big One

Banned
Eh I get he's a badass, but I don't think he or the Nameks were supposed to be directly based off black people. They have a more Middle Eastern aesthetic to them more than anything, but since all races in Dragonball are already represented already I don't think that was ever intentional.

RainForce

Banned
Now that I think about it, DBZ was really progressive in the sense that they made Goku (white man pretty much) the terrible father and Piccolo Gohan's real loving dad. Combatting stereotypes from day 1.

Goku is Japanese, not white.

Edit, or Chinese due to being based on Journey to the West.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*nods in agreement*

No lies detected. Piccolo was claimed in the Racial Draft of 2001. Krillin is shared claim.

Snakeyes

So you saying black people turn into giant monkeys under the full moon huh? ��

Even RZA agrees;
“You see it more clearly as the story goes. You learn that Son Goku is part of an ancient race called the Saiyans, who come from a distant planet and were known as the fiercest warriors in the galaxy. So Son Goku has superpowers but doesn’t realize it–a head injury destroyed his memory, robbed his knowledge of self. Then one day, he gets stressed beyond his limits and Hulks out into his alter ego, Super Saiyan–a [black man] with dreadlocks. (Get it?)”

“So I say WE are the Saiyans; I even use the name Goku as a tag when I write. And when my hair is in an Afro? Word up: I’m Super Saiyan.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom