• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piccolo was a black man (DBZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johndoey

Banned
Stole a dead dude's kid from the dead dude's wife, had the one job of turning the kid into a warrior, and couldn't even do that.

Listen Piccolo was about that survival life, he saw Gohan and was like "This boy gon learn", Gohan didn't die and you can't argue with those results.

Peltz

Closest+to+hitler+was+frieza_92cbc3_4722304.jpg

Steel

Banned
Super Buu is the alt-right. Its what happens when racists (Evil Buu) absorb the economically anxious (Good Buu).

Not sure what Kid Buu is though.

Kid Buu is Trump.

Actually, scratch that, Trump is Hercule if he was given a nuke.

Big One

Banned
What is Trump's DBZ analogue?

I'll say Babidi and Buu is the Alt-right.
Frost from DB Super is essentially a space Donald Trump. He's Hitler-like but hides behind a public persona and manipulates the system for his profit as well as building a good reputation in the public eye.

Johndoey

Banned
Piccolo is like the white fear of black men personified. Piccolo shows up and even your son is like "this my real daddy", you know Piccolo was back at the cabin with Chichi warming that bed.

PixelatedBookake

Yeah Piccolo is definitely black. As a kid I had always liked Vegeta the most due to his character development throughout the series, but as I got older I recognized Piccolo doing the same thing but for different reasons (to protect Gohan rather than fight the strongest opponent). Even to this day I sort of identify with the guy. Its too bad he ended up getting the shaft in the Buu Saga.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Nah, Mr. Popo is a black slave.

Piccolo was just the most badass motherfucking gastropod to have ever existed.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You think The Man would ever let a black dude become the goddamn God of the Earth?

Bitch, please.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If anyone was black in Dragon Ball, it was Vegeta.

tumblr_nug1lpwOq51tah896o1_500.png

Hmm.
-Doesn't smile in pictures.
-Doesnt get ahead as much as he wants despite working hard at it.
-Enjoys roasting his opponents while he is beating them

Maybe. Does taking Vegeta mean Trunks comes with?

aadiboy

That's not what Toriyama intended, and is obviously just you projecting those qualities on Piccolo. Toriyama's actual depiction of black people is completely different.

Madness

That's not what Toriyama intended, and is obviously just you projecting those qualities on Piccolo. Toriyama's actual depiction of black people is completely different.

Killa.jpg

Nobody remembers much, but they made one of the few black guys in DBZ and named him 'Killa' and you can't even understand what the hell he is saying because it is stereotypically unintelligible at times.

Elchele

Killa.jpg

Nobody remembers much, but they made one of the few black guys in DBZ and named him 'Killa' and you can't even understand what the hell he is saying because it is stereotypically unintelligible at times.

amazing. but I guess that's on the people who dubbed the anime innit

Hyun Sai

I remember most of my DBZ fan peers in middle school/high school who were black usually considered Piccolo as their favorite character(besides Vegeta who everyone seems to like).

In my area EVERYBODY hated Vegeta, and there was this strong belief that in no way in hell Trunks (who seemed like a nice guy) could have been his son and was in fact the hidden son of Goku and Bulma adultery.

In my area EVERYBODY hated Vegeta, and there was this strong belief that in no way in hell Trunks (who seemed like a nice guy) could have been his son and was in fact the hidden son of Goku and Bulma adultery.

Vegeta won just because he married Bulma.

Bulma is the greatest.

Vegeta went from defeated loser Saiyan to good guy Vegeta marrying Bulma.

Greatest. Arc. Ever.

Yass King.

Zolo

The name could also be Kira or Killer like Death Note and Jojo part 4. The talking-style's likely a Japanese thing.

I guess the most prominent black guy in the series was Staff Officer Black from the Red Ribbon Army arc: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Staff_Officer_Black

Name aside, he was actually the level-headed and intelligent guy to the dumbass commander even if he was still a villain.

Hmm.
-Doesn't smile in pictures.
-Doesnt get ahead as much as he wants despite working hard at it.
-Enjoys roasting his opponents while he is beating them

Maybe. Does taking Vegeta mean Trunks comes with?

Damn I felt that one a little too hard.

I mean if we get Vegeta we have to get all the Saiyans. . Goku is just Nu Black.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Dont act like Piccolo wasnt turning Chichis grieving ass out on the side.

"Go upstairs and study Gohan while I talk with Uncle Piccolo"

Even Namekiana love PAWGs

Lol

But yeah, Piccolo was black as fuck. So was Knuckles. Angry ass dude with dreads

Sadly Lex Luthor was white even though he looked like a lighty.

Piccolo is like the white fear of black men personified. Piccolo shows up and even your son is like "this my real daddy", you know Piccolo was back at the cabin with Chichi warming that bed.
You guys are fucking killing me. lmfao

Zolo

Damn I felt that one a little too hard.

Piccolo actually did pretty damn good all considered. Got a power boost putting him temporarily ahead even for a bit in the android saga and even got a good fight with Frieza before him continuing to transform. Much better than Yamcha, Tien, Krillin, and everyone else who got left behind a long time ago.

Even in the Buu saga, he still gets a pretty main role as more of a mentor who's also still considered worth absorbing by Super Buu.

NEO0MJ

Jazz and Blaster from Transformers were obviously Afro-Cybertronian.

You joke but yeah, especially Jazz. Also, the comics now use the idea of Transformers using Holomatter avatars to better hide or interact with other species without having to show their bodies.
They're often based on a Transformers inner psyche and some have been black and other races, even another gender.

Madness

Maybe... I'm not sure. But I do know that Mario and Luigi are very common names in Mexico.

Mario and Luigi are italian plumbers. Just because a name is now popular in Mexico means nothing. A lot of Italian, Latin, Spanish, Portuguese names are prevalent in Mexico since they are the descendants of these European explorers, separate from Anglo-Saxon.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah my friends who were black considered Piccolo black when we were kids. It was like another thing in the black list of "secret things only black people know" like the nod. I knew they saw him as black, but it flew over most people' heads.

depths20XX

I always subconsciously thought of Piccolo as a black dude, and I guess this thread reinforces it. Honestly when I saw the show as a kid I just liked how he stood out from the rest.

Well, I watched the series from the beginning: Dragon ball. Back in the early 90s, I had a Japanese neighbor, living overseas on an Air Force base. They had all the episodes of dragonball and dbz on tape but were in Japanese with no subs.

I watched them all. Was addicted ever since.

Unfortunately, Toriyama didn't have the best depiction of blacks. Their lips were big and Mr Popo didn't help. bcause of that, I've never really seen piccolo as a black guy. I think Toriyama was inspired more by middle eastern look for him.

I'm loving Super though. My username is suddenly relevant after 18 years of using it online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom