• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piccolo was a black man (DBZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues1990

zQsqhLt.jpg

Come to think of it, did this rolly polly fella made an apperance in the new Dragon Ball series? Or did they quietly pretend Mr. Popo doesn't exist?

Dugna

Come to think of it, did this rolly polly fella made an apperance in the new Dragon Ball series? Or did they quietly pretend Mr. Popo doesn't exist?

He's still up on the tower with Dende, somebody else uses the hyperbolic time chamber during the current arc.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is strange cultural thing I've noticed. I got to an HBCU and just about everyone I discuss anime with agrees that Piccolo was a black man.

main-qimg-20205743b5fd8a961d47fcb978dba53f

It's uncanny. In terms of personality, his strong demeanor mixed with his vast kindness greatly contrasted with the moral simplicity of his saiyan/human allies and really set him apart.

piccolo_driving_clothes.jpg

Furthermore, as we were introduced to planet Namek and its natives, watching them brutalized by the powers that be was a distinct analogue to abuses impacted upon the black race. It's hard to express, but I sympathized on a level deeper than I should have when I saw those images on screen of Friza's troops murdering Namekians.

Personally, for myself growing up, when positive portrayals of adult black men in media were hard to find, Piccolo was an empowering figure. Of course, the cartoons and whatnot in the 90s had that trademark diversity amongst children and teens, but as far as specifically black MEN are concerned Piccolo was awesome to witness.

Namek is literally Space Africa. Piccolo's a brother.

This theory is as old as Kami.

Piccolo was always the black dude for me and my friends

piccolo is black

like, black black, not goku black

One time in a GAF mumble for a popular mmo game a few years ago, I was called a racist for mentioning that growing up Piccolo was very popular with my black classmates who saw him as being the black character on the show. Also he's an awesome fucking character and did a better job raising Gohan than Goku.

I-hate-u

Killa.jpg

Nobody remembers much, but they made one of the few black guys in DBZ and named him 'Killa' and you can't even understand what the hell he is saying because it is stereotypically unintelligible at times.

Not in the Japanese version. He spoke very normal, and was even trying to work together with Mighty Mask to knock out Hercules, showing at least a bit of planning and strategy thinking.

Zolo

Also he's an awesome fucking character and did a better job raising Gohan than Goku.

Even Piccollo only raised Gohan for like a year and further just became kinda became the relative Gohan visited every now and then afterwards. Chichi was the one who ultimately raised Gohan pretty much on her own
which also kinda shows in where he is in the series now.

he's also pushing weight. what do you think that postboy shirt means. he aint delivering newspapers i'll tell you that.

the streets need some senzu beans.

Steel

Banned
Maybe Kid Buu is Pence. Evil Buu is the Trump Administration. Kid Buu is what happens when Evil Buu purges(impeaches) Trump. Evil incarnate.

Nah, Trump is Hercule. It fits him to a tee. He's a bullshiter that calls everyone else fake when he's the real fake and projects like nothing else all while being a giant douche.

And now he's been elected as the final hope for our planet against Cell.

Anung

Un Rama
Nah, Trump is Hercule. It fits him to a tee. He's a bullshiter that calls everyone else fake when he's the real fake and projects like nothing else all while being a giant douche.

And now he's been elected as the final hope for our planet against Cell.

Is Cell climate change?

EVOL 100%

Goku is supposed to be Asian, Toriyama is on record that in his mind, Goku would be played by Jackie Chan.

The whole Super Saiyan aryan race thing is an unfortunate result of Toriyama's laziness. He found inking Goku's hair a pain in the ass so he went for a brighter hair color.

Also, SSJ blue exists now

Edit: oops, accidental bump, confused it with a different thread, sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom