• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4/Vita/PC) Out April 11th

opoth

Banned
Day 1, but it's going to be a couple more weeks before I can dig in, already juggling Zelda and Persona 5.

hawk2025

Aaaand pre-ordered on PSN.

I was going to wait because of Persona 5, but the low price and the combat system....

Can't.

Tamanator

Will pick this up on Steam. Kind of tempted to wait for a potential Switch port, but this is the type of game that I want to support.

Famassu

Pre-ordered. Was sad to see the European release is a week later. :( Oh well, will still play ASAP just to see if I like it enough to go for the physical LRG release to add it to my collection.

Not Drake

I'm on the pre-order page as I just got my 10 euro from the EU promotion, but something stopped me. I kind of want to play the game on the Vita, but I don't see it mentioned on the store. Is it not cross-buy?

JPS Kai

There's no scaling down - the default native resolution is 480 x 270. Nothing prerendered either. Lots of uncompressed 2D art & music.

Ah, I see. Guess it comes down to the artistic integrity of keeping that stuff uncompressed or if it's needed to be unpacked for access on the fly.

But what do I know? I'm not in game development; I just get to critique.

kswiston

Robert, you might have answered this already, but will the Steam version have a 20% discount at launch, or is that only for the pre-order versions?

I know that the Humble Bundle version with a Steam key is 20% off, but I have $24 credit on my Steam account :p

Robert, you might have answered this already, but will the Steam version have a 20% discount at launch, or is that only for the pre-order versions?

I know that the Humble Bundle version with a Steam key is 20% off, but I have $24 credit on my Steam account :p

Plan is for Steam version to have a 20% discount at launch.

Game is currently just under 5GBs. Not sure how much we'll be able to get that down for the Vita version if at all.

Ya....that basically kills any chance of it coming physically then lol. Not sure people would be too happy with getting a cartridge and then having to download almost 2gbs of data either, even though I know it's been done with some games and the patches that came later (Senran Kagura Estival Versus is an example that the West has gotten).

flohen95

Ya....that basically kills any chance of it coming physically then lol. Not sure people would be too happy with getting a cartridge and then having to download almost 2gbs of data either, even though I know it's been done with some games and the patches that came later (Senran Kagura Estival Versus is an example that the West has gotten).

Valkyrie Drive is another example of a big game on Vita that has to circumvent the 4GB limit for game cards for the physical release. The card uses compressed audio and you have the option to download a high-quality sound pack from the PSN store. Tough I obviously don't know if that would be at all possible or, perhaps more importantly, economically feasible for this game just for a potential physical release on Vita.

Prelude.

Well, hasn't a LRG release been confirmed for a while now?
I don't know how bad the audio is in vanilla Valkyrie Drive, but putting a high quality version of it on the store seems like a good idea. Or maybe releasing a game with the audio coming exclusively as a dlc/update is not even allowed by Sony, I don't know.

Well, hasn't a LRG release been confirmed for a while now?
I don't know how bad the audio is in vanilla Valkyrie Drive, but putting a high quality version of it on the store seems like a good idea. Or maybe releasing a game with the audio coming exclusively as a dlc/update is not even allowed by Sony, I don't know.

We know it's allowed since Square did it with World of Final Fantasy, then again that's Square. For this it would be an issue of just how much effort it would take to potentially split the game just for physical buyers and how much backlash there could potentially be from LRG customers if they had to download a large chunk of the game outside of the cart to even be able to play.

Maybe I just imagined it, but I thought you could do 8GB Vita carts these days.

Nope, 4gb is the largest and even then the max amount of data that can be on the cart is 3.2gbs. Bandai Namco tried a "dual cart" approach with one of their recent games, but that ended up being a dud as the 2nd cart was a glorified install file which you were forced to download to even be able to play the game, which was all played using cart 1.

CEJames

Cross buy?

Edit: Saw the answer. It is, which is awesome!

CompleteEagerFoxterrier-size_restricted.gif

but, but, but......

lol the ultimate temper tantrum.

Shizuka

Weird to think that this can be a 5GB Vita title. I mean, assets shouldn't be as big as the ones for the PS4, that's just the first thing you can think about shrinking the size.

Miker

Weird to think that this can be a 5GB Vita title. I mean, assets shouldn't be as big as the ones for the PS4, that's just the first thing you can think about shrinking the size.

Native res is 480x270 on all platforms. Those same assets are being scaled up by integer for larger resolution screens. It's pixel art, not super HD 4K textures for consoles and low res textures for Vita, so I'm not really sure what you'd be "shrinking."

Famassu

He said art & audio assets are uncompressed. It being a 2d game there's no reason for the game to be smaller on Vita. This is not an HD game where the PS4 game would have HD assets and Vita could do with lower quality ones.

Prelude.

We know it's allowed since Square did it with World of Final Fantasy, then again that's Square. For this it would be an issue of just how much effort it would take to potentially split the game just for physical buyers and how much backlash there could potentially be from LRG customers if they had to download a large chunk of the game outside of the cart to even be able to play.
You're right, I forgot about WoFF, I thought it was only for the jp dub.
I wonder what determines what can go into an update or not, it seems like something required for the game to work would make more sense as an update instead of a dlc (and iirc there's no fees for updates) so that's kinda weird.

Maybe I just imagined it, but I thought you could do 8GB Vita carts these days.
You'd think that would be the case. I'm pretty sure Falcom was like "Hey, Sony, we kinda need them, we'll even manufacture them ourselves." and Sony said no.

Native res is 480x270 on all platforms. Those same assets are being scaled up by integer for larger resolution screens. It's pixel art, not super HD 4K textures for consoles and low res textures for Vita, so I'm not really sure what you'd be "shrinking."
Audio? I'm guessing that's what is mostly bloating the file size.

No, the art assets are taking up more space than the audio. About a gig for all the location art, half a gig for the cutscenes, a few hundred for character & enemy sprites, etc. Anyway, we'll look into ways to try to reduce size when we finish up the Vita version. And if we still can't get it down to acceptable cart size, well, then at least we tried.

Prelude.

Oh wait, I forgot about the dlc shenanigans. If you make the audio a dlc then EU peeps can't actually use it, unlike an update, which is not tied to a regional store. Fucking Escha & Logy Plus flashbacks.

Shizuka

Oh wait, I forgot about the dlc shenanigans. If you make the audio a dlc then EU peeps can't actually use it, unlike an update, which is not tied to a regional store. Fucking Escha & Logy Plus flashbacks.

Yes, it'd have to be a patch for everyone to be able to get it.

Uncompressed 2D assets are nice and all but I'm really curious about the technical details, how does a game like Chrono Trigger manage to squeeze itself into 3MB while CSH is 5GB (over 1500x the size) with apparently no way to make it smaller? The increase in resolution is only 2.26 (480*270 / 256*224) so that can't be it. I guess colour depth is another thing, but that still doesn't add up.

No, the art assets are taking up more space than the audio. About a gig for all the location art, half a gig for the cutscenes, a few hundred for character & enemy sprites, etc. Anyway, we'll look into ways to try to reduce size when we finish up the Vita version. And if we still can't get it down to acceptable cart size, well, then at least we tried.

So the announced LRG release is in limbo at this point?

Happy to give you guys my support by preordering on PSN.

Won't dig in until the Vita version is out, though.

Oh, wait...did you say cross-save or not?

Also, is your review code out in the wild for critics to dig into?

Jeffrey

Uncompressed 2D assets are nice and all but I'm really curious about the technical details, how does a game like Chrono Trigger manage to squeeze itself into 3MB while CSH is 5GB (over 1500x the size) with apparently no way to make it smaller? The increase in resolution is only 2.26 (480*270 / 256*224) so that can't be it. I guess colour depth is another thing, but that still doesn't add up.

Wonder if it's have to do with the unity engine? Also back in the day tons of tricks and shortcuts are needed to make games smaller which aren't needed these days for better or worse.

Anyways hopefully we won't be seeing 5 recolors of a goblin or something xD

I have no clue how SNES games were able to be so small although with Chrono Trigger, there's a lot of asset reuse with map & enemy assets. Our maps are setup more along the lines of Square's PS1 games like FF7 & Parasite Eve where each map is several large image files layered on top of each other.

Jeffrey

I have no clue how SNES games were able to be so small although with Chrono Trigger, there's a lot of asset reuse with map & enemy assets. Our maps are setup more along the lines of Square's PS1 games like FF7 & Parasite Eve where each map is several large image files layered on top of each other.

Is the game fully 2d or 'top down 3d' like quite a few unity 2d games lol?

Jeffrey

The game uses the 2DToolkit 3rd party add-on to handle the graphics & camera (we started work on the game before Unity had built-in 2D support). All of the assets are 2D; we don't use any 3D assets in the game.

Neat.

Is the KS codes still ETA this weekend? Would love to get some time into it as a break from persona.

Yeah, we're going to try to get codes out this weekend.

Just got an email from LRG and they said they've had a lot of success in reducing file size on Unity Vita games and they'd be happy to take a look at our game and see how much they can shrink things when we're ready. They're pretty confident they can get it within cart size.

IbukiLordSA

Just seeing this now, game looks great and comes with a 20% discount on PSN. Better be cause I see EU getting it a week late :(

Looks great though, will stick a review up at AWX Nexus when I've completed. Always have to try get the word out on these types of games.

Top Bottom