• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: What's Up With Nier Automata on PC? (Also stutters on PS4/Pro)

Massicot

Had no idea the port was bad, was planning on picking this up soon.

It's not "bad", imo. It's just not a great port. Maybe I have low standards.

I just hope they patch the issue with cutscene stutter and not maintaining proper aspect ratios. That's its biggest weakness imo.

gngf123

Had no idea the port was bad, was planning on picking this up soon.

It's not bad at all. It's actually good, but it has a couple of weird bugs that need to be ironed out.

Even if Square/Platinum don't fix it, it's already getting user fixed for the most part.

It's by far the best way to play the game if you have a decent rig.

The End

Is this running on the same engine that TF:Devastation and TMNT did?

TF:D was a solid PC port and TMNT was a fine port of a mediocre game IIRC.

Incredibly misleading article, PC version is the best version you can currently buy, the game itself is poorly made from a technical point of view. PS4 versions have the same problems like sloppy cutscenes.

gngf123

Is this running on the same engine that TF:Devastation and TMNT did?

TF:D was a solid PC port and TMNT was a fine port of a mediocre game IIRC.

It's been modified quite a lot so it is suitable for open world games like Nier, but yes that's my understanding.

That's a shame, oh well PS4 version for me then.

Again, even with the problems as they are right now, the PC version is still the best version of the game.

Mupod

Incredibly misleading article, PC version is the best version you can currently buy, the game itself is poorly made from a technical point of view. PS4 versions have the same problems like sloppy cutscenes.

I haven't been following it closely and I can't check the DF video in OP right now. But the PC performance thread was going on about pop-in that wasn't present on the console versions, is that not true?

I was prepared to be in on day 1 for this - I even played Nier for the first time back in January - but I think I can wait until after Persona. If the PC version gets fixed up in the meantime then that's perfect.

T.O.P

Banned
Except for the framerate drops during cutscenes the game runs just fine on my end (970 and 4690)

Not a shabby port at all imo

Man cmon do mass effect and Nier need to both have unoptimized PC ports? :(

Last i hear Andromeda was running quite well on pc? did i miss something?

gngf123

Man cmon do mass effect and Nier need to both have unoptimized PC ports? :(

It's not unoptimized.

For most people the PC version runs basically as expected if you have the PS4 version as a reference point. The stuttering problems seem to be related to streaming issues, and the fact that the game seems to be more graphically intensive than some people might have suspected is because of how the game uses Global Illumination.

There's a fix for the global illumination being released soon for people on low end rigs, and the streaming issue exists on both PC and console, it's an engine thing.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The game doesn't run as well as it should on any platform, and a GAFer may have discovered something Platinum did with the engine that could allow for some fairly significant framerate gains:

Alright, I've managed to improve performance by 30-60% (in 4K, on a 980 Ti, a friend reports more than doubled performance on a low-end mobile GPU).

Here's the visual differences (and framerate impact). Warning: if you haven't completed Route A you may find this a bit of a spoiler.
http://diff.pics/VBmFSLj8bn95/1
http://diff.pics/VBmFSLj8bn95/2

Expect to see a fix incorporating this change soon.

gngf123

I haven't been following it closely and I can't check the DF video in OP right now. But the PC performance thread was going on about pop-in that wasn't present on the console versions, is that not true?

I was prepared to be in on day 1 for this - I even played Nier for the first time back in January - but I think I can wait until after Persona. If the PC version gets fixed up in the meantime then that's perfect.

The pop in issue is not present on consoles, as the console version does not use MSAA. The problem seems to be caused by a weird interaction between MSAA and the post process AA that is enabled with AO.

Disabling MSAA on the PC version also entirely removes the pop in issue on PC.

AEdouard

It's not bad, it's just not great.

The major problem is a terrible bug that makes fullscreen rendering pretty much impossible at your chosen resolution (unless you use a simple external program like Borderless Gaming, which fixes the issue).

Markoman

Except for the framerate drops during cutscenes the game runs just fine on my end (970 and 4690)

Last i hear Andromeda was running quite well on pc? did i miss something?

Ah, good to hear, 970 owner here. Do you get frame-drops when traversing the map or do you achieve steady 60fps with settings lowered? If so, will double-dip when it hits the 20-30€ line.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Weren't there also some issues with pop in that were worse than what was on the PS4? I recall reading that in the performance thread, but dunno if that's been confirmed.

MTC100

Banned

How's the framerate @1080p for you with the 970, have the same card and am wondering weather to get the game now or wait a bit for a few patches to happen.

gngf123

Weren't there also some issues with pop in that were worse than what was on the PS4? I recall reading that in the performance thread, but dunno if that's been confirmed.

See:

The pop in issue is not present on consoles, as the console version does not use MSAA. The problem seems to be caused by a weird interaction between MSAA and the post process AA that is enabled with AO.

Disabling MSAA on the PC version also entirely removes the pop in issue on PC.

To be more precise - Having both MSAA and post processing AA/AO enabled seems to break the fade-in LOD. This causes objects to appear like they are popping in suddenly instead of transitioning.

Most people should be turning MSAA off anyway. They never should have included it as a preset. It's confusing so many people.

Lister

Banned
And console guys are the annoying ones right?

I don't know about console guys, but you sure as hell are. The PC version is better than the console version in terms of performance and resolution, those are the facts. The issues brought up are present on all versions. If that bothers you on some deep emotional level, I'd suggest you stay away from PC performance related threads.

We wouldn't want you to get al l bent out of shape at PC elitists, for, you know, pointing out facts about performance on a performance thread, because, the horror.

Gitaroo

Looks like their engine isn't meant for large environment and streaming high quality assets. Game stutter a bit from streaming on PS4 pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like their engine isn't meant for large environment and streaming high quality assets. Game stutter a bit from streaming on PS4 pro.

Their engine isn't optimized for a a lot of things apparently .. even on Pro the cut-scenes drop to 900p/30 FPS without any anti aliasing.

Not sure whether it's rushed development, the engine just not supporting this etc etc but this was one of the most underwhelming Pro updates I've seen.

Ferr986

The engine seems pretty bad overall. Playing it on Pro and although it's 60 fps, there's a lot of random stutters while traversing the world (while fighting it runs fine, so I guess it's a streaming issue).

Top Bottom