• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: What's Up With Nier Automata on PC? (Also stutters on PS4/Pro)

I've never seen this kind of defense for a shoddy PC port in all my time on GAF. Even with DF calling it out people still pretend there's no issues.
It's... really not a bad port, though. Is the game running on a flawed engine? Yeah, but other than that, PS4 Pro and equivalent PC hardware seem to hit the same level of performance. Yeah, it's not a great port by any means (needing a fan-fix to play at resolutions other than 900p at fullscreen for example), but performance itself isn't worse on PC specifically.

It's... really not a bad port, though. Is the game running on a flawed engine? Yeah, but other than that, PS4 Pro and equivalent PC hardware seem to hit the same level of performance. Yeah, it's not a great port by any means (needing a fan-fix to play at resolutions other than 900p at fullscreen for example), but performance itself isn't worse on PC specifically.

Exactly. It's not that the performance of the PC port is way worse than the consoles' versions. All version have pretty much the same problems, so focusing on the PC version and saying "See! That's the problem with PCs!!!!" is just silly. Not that the port doesn't have problems, it does(fullscreen problems, cutscenes, crashes etc). But performance by itself isn't one of them.

No worries, you get all the stutter as well and low resolution on top ;)

Enjoy crappy framerate and 900p I guess.

That stuff doesn't bother me to be honest and I've got Pro, so it's better than standard. I just don't see point of getting PC version in this case when it still has issues and isn't vastly better than the console version, like a PC version should be. Plus I can play it on the sofa on my 55" 4k TV, instead of my 1080p 40" PC screen.

Nice tip about the AA. I had been wondering about that. I realized early on how expensive it was. With it on 4x, I get about 50fps in the city @ 3440x1440. I assume if I drop it to 2x it'll be 60fps at all times (or close to it), so I might make that move now that I know what it really is.

And yea, hopefully there will be a fix for those cut-scenes. I'm used to them now, but being higher resolution would be much appreciated.

Otherwise I really have no complaints here. I'm using a high-end setup, so my experience may not be the same as most others, but I've had 0 crashes and only a weird freeze-like hitch that happens once every couple of hours where everything stops for a couple of seconds, then goes right back to normal. I have absolutely no idea what causes it. But other than that, 0 meaningful performance issues. Fantastic game and I'm really glad I bought it on PC instead of my Pro.

Gbraga

Nice tip about the AA. I had been wondering about that. I realized early on how expensive it was. With it on 4x, I get about 50fps in the city @ 3440x1440. I assume if I drop it to 2x it'll be 60fps at all times (or close to it), so I might make that move now that I know what it really is.

And yea, hopefully there will be a fix for those cut-scenes. I'm used to them now, but being higher resolution would be much appreciated.

Otherwise I really have no complaints here. I'm using a high-end setup, so my experience may not be the same as most others, but I've had 0 crashes and only a weird freeze-like hitch that happens once every couple of hours where everything stops for a couple of seconds, then goes right back to normal. I have absolutely no idea what causes it. But other than that, 0 meaningful performance issues. Fantastic game and I'm really glad I bought it on PC instead of my Pro.

I honestly think it's better to just disable MSAA entirely and turn on the in-game AO.

2xMSAA is not worth the worse pop-in, and the in-game AO comes with a ppAA solution that is fairly good.

wwm0nkey

Apparently the game had an insane GI cache array (128) and someone reduced it to 16 and runs like 60% better. Do you guys think this is what's also affecting the PS4 versions?

gngf123

Apparently the game had an insane GI cache array (128) and someone reduced it to 16 and runs like 60% better. Do you guys think this is what's also affecting the PS4 versions?

That GI fix is already public and improves things significantly on PC.

It's entirely speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is also a problem on PS4.

Prelude.

Any before/after comparison on a non-$500 gpu?

Edit: nvm, found the source.

Gbraga

Is 128 really insane? Not doubting you, I just have no idea how that works. Is it too much even for games with great GI implementations?

specdot

I don't know about console guys, but you sure as hell are. The PC version is better than the console version in terms of performance and resolution, those are the facts. The issues brought up are present on all versions. If that bothers you on some deep emotional level, I'd suggest you stay away from PC performance related threads.

We wouldn't want you to get al l bent out of shape at PC elitists, for, you know, pointing out facts about performance on a performance thread, because, the horror.
The responses to the one poster saying they're staying with the ps4 version say otherwise. It seems like any thread that has to do with performance leads to high levels of salt. Including your post. But okay. I'll see myself out because, "the horror". Enjoy the game. It's really good.

Sigh. 1 euro was worth $1.34 in July 2014 (that was before the euro's value went down the crapper vs the usd). Hence you paid $280 for that 290. No freaking way you bought the rest of that pc for $220.

I paid 210€ for the card. That left me 290€ for the cpu+mobo+ram upgrade. So yeah, I did.

Christhor

A sequel made by a much more talented team than the one that made the original, but it still has a ton more technical issues?

AEdouard

I paid 210€ for the card. That left me 290€ for the cpu+mobo+ram upgrade. So yeah, I did.

You seem to, for some reason, think that dollars and euros are the same thing. 500 euros were worth $670 in 2014.

Also, you're French, so you of course like arguing (as am I, and as do I...)

Vipu

Banned

But thats not MAX ULTRA SETTINGS!!

I hope some people learn from this that they can lower some useless settings to get a lot of fps and not lose any visible quality in picture.

RaffAO

Not wishing to excuse any of the problems (I'm having my fair share on PC), but I do think people might be overestimating the budget this game was developed on if they're expecting absolutely 100% perfect performance.

How many games, especially open world ones, reach these impeccable, seamless performance standards some people seem to be accustomed to? I'm genuinely curious since I've not got any of the current consoles.

AEdouard

Not wishing to excuse any of the problems (I'm having my fair share on PC), but I do think people might be overestimating the budget this game was developed on if they're expecting absolutely 100% perfect performance.

How many games, especially open world ones, reach these impeccable, seamless performance standards some people seem to be accustomed to? I'm genuinely curious since I've not got any of the current consoles.

Open world? MGS5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Far Cry 4. But yeah, it's the exception more than the rule

I think people are chiller about console performance because they have no power over it, so you just accept it and move on.

Gbraga

Yea I forgot where I am. People judge ports based on who made them or how many waifus are in it, rather than the actual port.

Either you've never seen this kind of defense for a shoddy port on GAF, or this is typical GAF behavior. Can't be both, man, gotta choose which line of shitposting you're going for.

gngf123

Yea I forgot where I am. People judge ports based on who made them or how many waifus are in it, rather than the actual port.

I'm just going to continue with what Durante said: you are being stupid.

People have tried to explain to you the reasons why you can't just hit max settings and you willfully chose to ignore them. Instead you just return to shitpost some more. You've done this in more than one thread now.

It pollutes discussion of what is actually a very good (but with some flaws) port of a great game.

Also, the very same people here who have tried to educate you are (for the most part) the same people who would call out bad KT ports, even the most Waifu heavy ones. You are literally just making shit up.

Momentary

Banned

... I'm not saying this game isn't without it's faults. But I've played WAY worse ports from Japanese companies.

By the way, if you're talking about "waifus" then Koei Tecmo is king and I still despise their products on PC (besides Sophie which runs like a dream). You're logic is pretty broken here.

It pollutes discussion of what is actually a very good (but with some flaws) port of a great game.

I would call it an okay port with flaws.

By the way the community patch by DrDaxxy and Kaldaien allows me to run the game at 4K 60fps with MSAA turned off. The AA provided by the game's AO option is more than good enough at this resolution.

shiyrley

Banned
I've never seen this kind of defense for a shoddy PC port in all my time on GAF. Even with DF calling it out people still pretend there's no issues.

If you can't use AA with a GTX 1080, the port is busted. "bububu MSAA ur not supposed to be able to use it with the best GPU!!!!!" Glad Steam let me refund it even with over two hours.
I am pretty sure there are many games that don't bother including MSAA options because people like you will very obnoxiously scream and cry because they can't have absolutely everything maxed out anymore.

Based on what I have seen, this is a good port with some launch issues. MSAA is stupidly expensive on any game, IF it's available at all. I am sorry not having absolutely EVERYTHING maxed out makes you feel insecure tho

Durante

I judge ports based on the actual porting effort.

You, on the other hand, appear to judge them based on the underlying game performance, and with a willful disregard for performance realities which apply across all graphics processing, coupled with an unwillingness to be educated about them.

I judge ports based on the actual porting effort.

You, on the other hand, appear to judge them based on the underlying game performance, and with a willful disregard for performance realities which apply across all graphics processing, coupled with an unwillingness to be educated about them.

Someday, one developper should just go ahead and lie about graphical options to see people going all over the place just because "It's running at max settings !!!! "
Put FXAA and call it SSAA*8, call every setting "Ultra", "Maximum" or "Hyper" but dont make any change between them. This way, we'll have everyone calling this game optimised :")

That reminds me of Crytek and Crysis 1/2/3, calling settings with different names than Low/Medium/High and Gamer/Enthusiasts so that people wouldnt feel bad to see the word "low/medium".

Hmm some AMD cards seem to have problems with this game, need to research more into this.

I'd say all cards have a problem initially. I have a 480x and was using the relive drivers and the game crashed at the prologue cutscene every time. I reverted back to the 16.11.5 drivers and installed kal's mod while also turning off AA and vsync and have been running smooth since then. There are dips here and there but nothing super terrible.

The bigger issue with the port and idk if DF ran into it, is the engine crashing randomly. Where there visuals are locked but audio and menuing is possible. Ive had it happen at least 3 times during my playthrough and have no idea what causes it. It'd be nice if DF was able to test it and see what may be causing the issue

Zojirushi

Someday, one developper should just go ahead and lie about graphical options to see people going all over the place just because "It's running at max settings !!!! "
Put FXAA and call it SSAA*8, call every setting "Ultra", "Maximum" or "Hyper" but dont make any change between them. This way, we'll have everyone calling this game optimised :")

That reminds me of Crytek and Crysis 1/2/3, calling settings with different names than Low/Medium/High and Gamer/Enthusiasts so that people wouldnt feel bad to see the word "low/medium".

You're blaming this on the community and you're probably right to some degree because people's obsession with "ultra" settings IS kinda stupid but a lot of this could easily be mitigated by developers by just explaining graphics options better.

I remember some setting in Witcher 2 that straight up turned the letters red when set to some high value and gave an explanation like "bro, better only enable this if you're from the future using future hardware"

It's incomprehensible to me how so few games just give a short explanation of what a setting does or what's behind it. "AA low, mid, high" as I see it in a lot of games is NOT an acceptable way of explaining what's going on when I change this setting.

Knurek

I remember some setting in Witcher 2 that straight up turned the letters red when set to some high value and gave an explanation like "bro, better only enable this if you're from the future using future hardware"

I still don't think my 980TI is enough to handle Ubersampling at 1080p60...

dr_rus

You're blaming this on the community and you're probably right to some degree because people's obsession with "ultra" settings IS kinda stupid but a lot of this could easily be mitigated by developers by just explaining graphics options better.

It's incomprehensible to me how so few games just give a short explanation of what a setting does or what's behind it. "AA low, mid, high" as I see it in a lot of games is NOT an acceptable way of explaining what's going on when I change this setting.

This reminds me of a warning which DXMD gives when you try to set the resolution above 1080p. There are explanations and warnings and there's things which are basically common knowledge for which no warnings or explanations are necessary (the DXMD example is basically an annoyance). The problem of Neir A isn't in the lack of explanation of what MSAA do and how it affects performance - people should know this already - it's in the fact that MSAA is called "Antialiasing" in the options and the only way to connect it to MSAA is through the possible values of "off/2x/4x/8x".

That being said, the amount of people who want to always run everything "maxed out" on their 4K displays and two year old videocards is starting to get seriously annoying.

Top Bottom