• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: What's Up With Nier Automata on PC? (Also stutters on PS4/Pro)

Dremorak

Banned
All the messaging around this video is weird. If you watch the video it actually doesnt look that bad. If you have a decent pc it seems like you should be fine

Durante

Those saying it's not bad; performance wise it ran fine for me on okay but not amazing hardware. Are we omitting it white screens for a large number of users (and only using old, less optimised drivers is so far the option)?

Cant wait till I can play this again but I'm not faffing with the old drivers.
I think that's generally something where you have to grant some lenience.

For smaller games like this one in particular, which is
  • too small to get active support from GPU manufacturers (which all the AAA games and large engines have); but at the same time
  • uses a completely custom engine
when a new driver release breaks your rendering (in a complicated to reproduce and debug way) relatively shortly before release, there might be little you can do.

And I say that because unlike many other porting issues we see these days, like lack of resolution support, low-res assets, or even the fullscreen thing in this one, even if I were personally working on it I really can't say if I could fix it in time. This type of issue can get really difficult.

But yeah, the differences are clear.
Yeah, but it would be a nice slider for making it more scalable to lower-end systems. Certainly better than dropping the resolution I would think.

Is there a way to fix the way the engine stream assets (and then stutters as a result)? Would this have been too expensive to fix for just the PC port? Do other open world games have similar problems?

This is my number one problem with this game. I wouldn't even care if they left the bad LOD settings in
wtf am i saying?
, I just want a smoother game. It's so noticeable because you are running at high speeds all the time.

Knurek

Is there a way to fix the way the engine stream assets (and then stutters as a result)? Would this have been too expensive to fix for just the PC port? Do other open world games have similar problems?

Many do.
Heck, pretty much most of UE3 engine games, no matter if open world or not have this issue.

Pinkuss

I think that's generally something where you have to grant some lenience.

For smaller games like this one in particular, which is
  • too small to get active support from GPU manufacturers (which all the AAA games and large engines have); but at the same time
  • uses a completely custom engine
when a new driver release breaks your rendering (in a complicated to reproduce and debug way) relatively shortly before release, there's might be little you can do.

And I say that because unlike many other porting issues we see these days, like lack of resolution support, low-res assets, or even the fullscreen thing in this one, even if I were personally working on it I really can't say if I could fix it in time. This type of issue can get really difficult.

That's fair; I get that, however the drivers which are causing the issue aren't that new and AMD don't have the biggest marketshare but are pretty big. Either way, it's an issue.

Not saying I blame them 100% and appreciate the port but it is clearly an issue for a large number of end users (customers).

From a business point of view I also think it would be wise to give some kind of commentary around any issues impacting a proportion of their base. It's nice to hear a fix for issues is coming soon but all issues or just performance?

Durante

This is my number one problem with this game. I wouldn't even care if they left the bad LOD settings in, I just want a smoother game. It's so noticeable because you are running at high speeds all the time.
From the user side, running the game off a fast SSD and having ample RAM helps. I only get very minor stutter (we are talking 1 or 2 dropped frames) when traversing the entire central city area mounted.

From a developer's perspective, of course it could be improved with some specific work for the PC version, loading more assets in memory for high-end (e.g. 16 GB of RAM or more) systems and adding e.g. a setting for LoD distances.
But honestly, with the current counterproductive climate, adding an option resulting in better LoD distances and handling than on consoles would probably get more people complaining, after they set it to the maximum and it had an impact on their performance :p

That's fair; I get that, however the drivers which are causing the issue aren't that new and AMD don't have the biggest marketshare but are pretty big. Either way, it's an issue.

Not saying I blame them 100% and appreciate the port but it is clearly an issue for a large number of end users (customers).

From a business point of view I also think it would be wise to give some kind of commentary around any issues impacting a proportion of their base. It's nice to hear a fix for issues is coming soon but all issues or just performance?
I fully agree with everything you said.

I just wanted to clarify that it's not something where you can point at the developer/publisher and rightfully say "you're being stupid and/or completely disinterested in the quality of your PC releases" like with, say, K-T.

jacobeid

Banned
By "hard crash" do you mean a complete system crash? Because that would indicate either a driver or hardware issue.
(As I've said many times in many contexts on GAF before, if your driver and HW are working correctly no software should be able to crash your PC)

On the other hand, if just the game crashes it can be anything, including of course a bug.

Sorry, just regular crashes then. I was able to use the task manager to close the game both times it crashed and reopened it without any problems.

Pinkuss

From the user side, running the game off a fast SSD and having ample RAM helps. I only get very minor stutter (we are talking 1 or 2 dropped frames) when traversing the entire central city area mounted.

From a developer's perspective, of course it could be improved with some specific work for the PC version, loading more assets in memory for high-end (e.g. 16 GB of RAM or more) systems and adding e.g. a setting for LoD distances.
But honestly, with the current counterproductive climate, adding an option resulting in better LoD distances and handling than on consoles would probably get more people complaining, after they set it to the maximum and it had an impact on their performance :p

I fully agree with everything you said.

I just wanted to clarify that it's not something were you can point at the developer/publisher and rightfully say "you're being stupid and/or completely disinterested in the quality of your PC releases" like with, say, K-T.

Oh I agree, a lot of work will have gone in to this and it's a pretty good quality release (from what I managed to get through).

From a media point of view it would also be nice to get some push on this I suppose, so the Developer/Publisher have some impetus to let us know whats happening.

Anyways, will keep checking back until there's some kind of fix, either from the Dev's or AMD.

Akronis

A PS4 Pro is generally a better option than a PC with a 280x though, mainly because PC releases aren't optimized with 30 fps in mind (those crappy frametimes unless you jump through hoops, and even then it's not exactly as good - no 60 fps menus/30 fps gameplay for example). With a 280x, you end up with crappy running PC ports while the Pro has been tuned to run those games with good frame pacing at 30 fps and properly calibrated graphical options. It's ok when it's a 60 fps console release though, like NieR.

By jumping through hoops do you mean literally downloading RTSS and letting it run in the background? The main benefit of PC gaming is that most PC games are not optimized for any framerate. They run at whatever the hardware can push at whatever settings you have it on.

There really aren't any 30fps locked PC ports anymore (although rare ones do make it through, generally from Japanese devs).

fwpx

I plan on seeing how this runs/looks on my 7770K and 1080.

Also: I love coming in to these threads and just reading everything Durante has to say.

I have Nier installed on a SATA 3 EVO and am using 16GB 1600 ram. No hitching to be found, but plenty of stuttering to be had. Not a happy camper :(.

The culture of "X game" - Ultra/Max settings 1440p" is stingy one, yeah.

But at the same time, for everyone else, maybe more developers should put detailed descriptions for each setting (especially for AA options and their differences), and be a little more careful with their defaults. Nier by default has 8x MSAA for its high setting, and doesn't disclose that its MSAA and not a much lighter FXAA or something. Nor does it clarify that AO and PPA are wrapped into one setting and that turning it on directly conflicts with the MSAA setting. So now you have a game that to the surface observer runs in an unexpected manner and looks funny.

I'm surprised with how many people are giving the stuttering cutscenes a pass. For such a story heavy game its a total deal-breaker for me. I hope it gets patched or a fix is found soon, its the main thing stopping me from diving into this game.

Akronis

I'm surprised with how many people are giving the stuttering cutscenes a pass. For such a story heavy game its a total deal-breaker for me. I hope it gets patched or a fix is found soon, its the main thing stopping me from diving into this game.

User made fix already exists. Re-encoding to MPEG-4 or downloading fixed files.

Durante

I have Nier installed on a SATA 3 EVO and am using 16GB 1600 ram. No hitching to be found, but plenty of stuttering to be had. Not a happy camper :(.
If it's stuttering rather than hitching, have you tried RTSS?
I have found that in borderless windowed mode with in-game V-sync on and capping to 60 FPS using RTSS frame delivery is basically perfectly paced on my system (during gameplay).

AEdouard

By jumping through hoops do you mean literally downloading RTSS and letting it run in the background? The main benefit of PC gaming is that most PC games are not optimized for any framerate. They run at whatever the hardware can push at whatever settings you have it on.

There really aren't any 30fps locked PC ports anymore (although rare ones do make it through, generally from Japanese devs).

Yes, RTSS and the control nvidia panel. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I tried and failed, for example, to make Witcher 3 not run like ass (jerky camera) at 30 fps despite using rtss and the half refresh rate option in the nvidia control panel. Certainly less smooth than what you get with a 30 fps lock on a PS4 Pro. Now I don't care since I have a 1070, but hey. It just seems to me that those workarounds don't always work as they should, and that you end up with a superior experience on less powerful consoles. A smooth properly paced 30 fps is better imo than a 35-55 fps jumping framerate.

User made fix already exists. Re-encoding to MPEG-4 or downloading fixed files.

That fix doesn't work. I've been talking to some people who said the fix worked for them, only for them to discover it was a fluke and that they still have stuttering. Not every cutscene has the stutter issue, which lead to a bunch of false positives about the fix working.

theultimo

I have found that in borderless windowed mode with in-game V-sync on and capping to 60 FPS using RTSS frame delivery is basically perfectly paced on my system (during gameplay).
For me its because my TV doesnt do 60hz, its always 59.97. Usually RTSS does fix it though, tge fullscreen fix changes the framepacing enough for me to not have random judder.

DigiDom

I run the game at 2560x1440 on a 1080 screen with msaa turned off and it seems fine. Freesync might be helping with that though. Have they mentioned anything about a patch?

ymgve

Kaldaien's fix solved that issue afaik.

Kaldaien's fix introduced hard frame rate drops when it loads new data for me. That never happens with the vanilla version, though the fullscreen picture is blurry upscaled.

I wonder if DigitalFoundry is measuring with that fix installed or not.

I've had it capped at 60fps in RTSS for days, and have had MSAA off for about a day. Borderless window since launch.
1080p, GTX 980 Kingpin.

With Vysnc off, I get stuttering while the readout reads 60fps, 16.6ms. When I get drops, 59.9, 58.9, etc.
With Vysnc on, still get stuttering with similar readouts, but now the game actually starts to slow down severely drop frames and stutter in places. Running by the pillars by the lake towards the camp is a perfect example. I think at worse I had about 10 whole seconds of slowdown before I stopped running and looked at the ground. That spot only stutters with vysnc off, for comparison.

It's the most bizzare thing I've ever seen. Usually RTSS+Vysnc saves the day in every other game I've ever played.

I've tried recording my experiences but of course the easiest method, GFE, changes performance in the game.

Momentary

Banned
Cross posting from the other thread:

On STEAM forums
Kaldaien said:
I have the hooks setup now and have had a bit of time to test this on my desktop machine.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889054560

That same scene before the fix was 43 FPS, now it's running at a steady 60 FPS.

I need to add some config settings for this and then I'll push this to the update server (Testing branch).

soon-13.jpg

It's not a bad port. It only need a 1000$ rigs to deliver the same performance as a 500$ console.
My rig cost about 550$ and it runs it at PS4 Pro settings and performance. The extra cost is fairly justified by all the things a PC can do, so I'm definitely not regretting it, especially not over one game.

HoodWinked

i dunno if its a bad port since the problem is in both versions. its more of an issue with the base game. but there are many pc games with micro stuttering and judder like every Bethesda game.

but i get why they point it out in this game since its a heavy action game while other games get a pass.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
but i get why they point it out in this game since its a heavy action game.

If Pro is anything to judge by its not action heavy scenes that are an issue, its during extended periods of movement. The game actually holds up pretty well during the heaviest action moments, so its not like its any real impediment to the gameplay.

gngf123

If Pro is anything to judge by its not action heavy scenes that are an issue, its during extended periods of movement. The game actually holds up pretty well during the heaviest action moments, so its not like its any real impediment to the gameplay.

That's essentially the same as the PC stuttering too. Battles do not suffer from it at all.

So, same as PC?

I just checked again. Slow down isn't accurate. With the cap+Vysnc on my FPS drops to 40 briefly before going back up. I had to turn the camera while running around the pillar area to force this behavior. Plenty of 60fps, 16.6ms+stuttering to be had, all round. It's aggravating.

EDIT: The double pillar area by the lake is a serious problem area. Turned Vysnc off. RTSS gives me clean readings, and isn't reporting FPS drops. And yet the stuttering is insane here.

cap+Vysnc off or on - there is no winning solution. I am at a complete loss right now.

That's a proper priority for this game, while the engine is suffering when moving around with the popins and could be improved but essentially, it's not really broken or bad. You can play the game just fine.

It's not a bad port. It only need a 1000$ rigs to deliver the same performance as a 500$ console.

Yeah sure. I dont remember paying my R9 290 based rig for more than 500 dollars... in 2014. For better performances than a 400 dollars PS4 Pro... in 2016.
Game runs as the same on PS4 Pro than it does on an equivalent PC GPU.

Dizzy-4U

Similar issues I had with Metal Gear Rising. Resolutions not working, framedrops, locked 30hz in fullscreen mode....

It's fixable for the most part but still unfortunate.

tuxfool

Banned
I've never seen this kind of defense for a shoddy PC port in all my time on GAF. Even with DF calling it out people still pretend there's no issues.

If you can't use AA with a GTX 1080, the port is busted. "bububu MSAA ur not supposed to be able to use it with the best GPU!!!!!" Glad Steam let me refund it even with over two hours.

People have explained what the problems are and why they exist. If you refuse to understand, and choose instead to idiotically make sarcastic remarks we cannot help you.

BHK3

Banned

RTSS doesn't work for all users though, like me. It has no effect on games like dmc4, dying light, and killing floor 2 where I get stutters.

Momentary

Banned
I've never seen this kind of defense for a shoddy PC port in all my time on GAF. Even with DF calling it out people still pretend there's no issues.

If you can't use AA with a GTX 1080, the port is busted. "bububu MSAA ur not supposed to be able to use it with the best GPU!!!!!" Glad Steam let me refund it even with over two hours.

Man you're coming at this like it was some kind of Koei-Tecmo port.

Top Bottom