• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: What's Up With Nier Automata on PC? (Also stutters on PS4/Pro)

Durante

I bought this game on Ps4 cause I though it wouldn't have good 3440p X 1440p support. Anyone here play it at that resolution with a 1080 and can tell me how it performs?
I play at 2560x1440 on a 1080, and since turning off MSAA my GPU sits at only 60-75% utilization most of the time.

So 3440x1440 should be doable at 60 FPS. I think someone plays at that resolution in the PC perf thread and had good results.

At least you don't get random crashes to white screen on PS4 (unable to play my PC version of Nier until it gets patched).
I've played it for 25 hours without a single crash. As far as I know, there's one problematic AMD driver release, maybe you are on that?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've played it for about 2 hours and was actually pretty impressed with the port.

I can't take advantage of my G-Sync monitor because of the 60 fps cap, but it's very smooth.

Of course, I'm running on really powerful hardware (i7 6700k, GTX 1080).

Arkanius

I've played it for about 2 hours and was actually pretty impressed with the port.

I can't take advantage of my G-Sync monitor because of the 60 fps cap, but it's very smooth.

Of course, I'm running on really powerful hardware (i7 6700k, GTX 1080).

Aren't Gsync monitors 30-60-144hz range?
60 should still be good for Gsync users no?

Durante

People who are saying this is a bad port have got to stop. The engine is the issue here. It's just a demanding.
I mean the port has a few wrinkles (primarily the full screen issue, and the problems when combining MSAA with ppAA), but performance isn't really one of them.

It tracks closely to 1:1 GPU FLOPs wise with the PS4 Pro version -- I don't think you can expect more from a port. If people still have issues with the performance they don't have one with the porting effort, but the general implementation.

I've played it for 25 hours without a single crash. As far as I know, there's one problematic AMD driver release, maybe you are on that?

Yeah. Running RX 480 with newest drivers. Going back to old 16.5.1 drivers seem to fix this for some users but I really don't want to start messing with old drivers just for one game.

MUnited83

For you.
And console guys are the annoying ones right? That PC elitist attitude needs to be checked at the door.
Elitist with?

The dude says he is going to get the PS4 version, and people just pointed out the actual fact that it is a worse choice, performing worse and looking worse than LC. That's not being a "elitist".

I've never seen this kind of defense for a shoddy PC port in all my time on GAF. Even with DF calling it out people still pretend there's no issues.

If you can't use AA with a GTX 1080, the port is busted. "bububu MSAA ur not supposed to be able to use it with the best GPU!!!!!" Glad Steam let me refund it even with over two hours.

Mrbob

Difference between the PC version and ps4 pro seems super minimal. I might just get it on PS4 now since I don't want to deal with any grabbing user made patches to fix simple issues.

jmga

Does the PS4 Pro version use MSAA at all?

It looks like the engine has been optimized for PC and then ported to PS4, it is just that they haven't properly tested the PC version.

Corpekata

Banned

Gsync works fine and if anything it shines on those games that don't like to hold a steady 60 and ping pong around 50-60.

At about 45 FPS and below it's benefits feel pretty minimal.

I dont get any stuttering whatsoever, but I'm also running a better rig than DF

the only issue I'm getting is the stuttery playback, though its gotten better the further I've gone

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, it should still provide a benefit, but for whatever reason I get screen tearing in Nier if I don't have V-Sync turned on. Turning on V-Sync pretty much kills the G-Sync benefit.

I haven't seen any drops from 60 fps anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Durante

I've never seen this kind of defense for a shoddy PC port in all my time on GAF. Even with DF calling it out people still pretend there's no issues.

If you can't use AA with a GTX 1080, the port is busted. "bububu MSAA ur not supposed to be able to use it with the best GPU!!!!!".
You're being stupid.
  • You can absolutely use AA, the built-in ppAA (which the PS4 Pro uses) performs exactly as well per FLOP as it does on consoles.
  • Even MSAA is usable at 1080p on a 1080 while still getting 60 FPS (which is not true for other games, see below).
  • MSAA is really expensive, and there's nothing unusual about this.

Here, some recent games with MSAA options (all of these are 8xMSAA):
de_1920.png
XCom2_1920_msaa_8x.jpg
na_1920.png

gngf123

If you can't use AA with a GTX 1080, the port is busted. "bububu MSAA ur not supposed to be able to use it with the best GPU!!!!!" Glad Steam let me refund it even with over two hours.

You can use AA, just not MSAA.

Don't blame the game for your lack of understanding of what MSAA is and how it works.

V_Arnold

Yeah. Running RX 480 with newest drivers. Going back to old 16.5.1 drivers seem to fix this for some users but I really don't want to start messing with old drivers just for one game.

16.11.5 is stable for it. I do not like having to go back either, but I do not see either Square nor AMD caring for a fix, which is bullhit. :(

Akronis

You got called out for this shit in the other thread. Doing it here won't change anything. Educate yourself on graphical techniques because you have literally no idea what you're talking about.

Arkanius

MSAA is almost like Downsampling. It was always expensive, and it never gets activated on my PC :)

*Except on CS:GO, which runs at 8X
**Because it runs on potatoes.

Like Durante said, this port runs 1:1 compared to the console versions which are basically, weak PCs

So it scales perfectly. Too bad we dont have an unlocked framerate.

You can, just not at 1440p if maintaining 60fps at all times is important to you. I am sure you're well aware that MSAA tends to be expensive. You could argue their global illumination implementation on both console and PC is "busted", heavily impacting performance for apparently very little benefit, but that's about it.

Bugs aside, the port is OK. =)

dreamfall

I don't understand - the port is good.

Hell, even the DF video shows some quirks with resolution and hitching, but with custom resolution support, and MSAA, you have a plethora of options to enhance the game on a decent rig. It's demanding, but it's apparent that it easily matches the console version. Like most good ports... It's not fully optimized, but it doesn't seem to be as awful as some suggest?

jacobeid

Banned

I'm on a 970 and have had two hard crashes in the first six hours of playtime (running at 1080p via Borderless Gaming, everything on medium, AA and AF completely turned off, AO on). Haven't had that problem with any other game in recent memory. So, YMMV apparently.

Durante

I'm on a 970 and have had two hard crashes in the first six hours of playtime (running at 1080p via Borderless Gaming, everything on medium, AA and AF completely turned off, AO on). Haven't had that problem with any other game in recent memory. So, YMMV apparently.
By "hard crash" do you mean a complete system crash? Because that would indicate either a driver or hardware issue.
(As I've said many times in many contexts on GAF before, if your driver and HW are working correctly no software should be able to crash your PC)

On the other hand, if just the game crashes it can be anything, including of course a bug.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, I hope the take-away here is that it's not a bad port. The performance issues are not the result of a bad port - its inherent in the engine, I believe. PS4 Pro class hardware turns in performance exactly as you'd expect.

It does have some problems no doubt but it's not bad.

Atolm

The port is simply decent & functional. If you have the rig, it will perform far & above the PS4 version. Just don't expect magic because the PC won't fly over issues of the engine like bad LoD transitions and bad CPU threading for streaming assets.

Hell I'd say it's better than Platinum previous efforts. MGR didn't support resolutions above 1080p without fan-patches if someone forgot.

Durante

Yeah, I hope the take-away here is that it's not a bad port. The performance issues are not the result of a bad port - its inherent in the engine, I believe. PS4 Pro class hardware turns in performance exactly as you'd expect.

Interestingly, if DrDaxxy's hack actually works throughout the game, we could get to a situation where PC GPUs can punch above their weight as people like to say ;)

Hell I'd say it's better than Platinum previous efforts. MGR didn't support resolutions above 1080p without fan-patches if someone forgot.
As far as I'm concerned it's easily their best. Even more so once they patch the fullscreen issue. (Which should be a simple fix)
It doesn't really affect me personally (or anyone who reads the GAF thread ;)), but it's annoying for a standard user.

Apparently I got lucky with my hardware config or something. On my i5 4690k@4.7Ghz and GTX 1070 I've had no issue whatsoever with stuttering or odd framerate drops. Maxed out, at ultrawide 1080p and 4xAA I have a hard lock on 60FPS.

On one of the first cutscenes in the game I did have some slowdown on the playback of a prerendered cutscene, but I never saw it after that one issue.

Hell, even fullscreen worked properly for me right from the start.

I think that the choice of title for the video was poor, John. It implies that there's something seriously wrong with the game and you have people posting stuff like "another bad port" without watching it.

Someone managed to modify how the global illumination works so that you get a big boost in performance.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/modde...most-double-the-performance-of-nier-automata/

According to DrDaxxy, NieR: Automata uses a super expensive Global Illumination solution. Its GI compute shader is an array it loops over, which by default has 128 elements. DrDaxxy cut the number of elements to 16, which is the minimum as only values divisible by 16 are allowed.

As such, the overall performance has been significantly increased at the cost of a simpler GI solution. DrDaxxy has provided some comparison screenshots and as we can see, there are some slight differences between them.

5D018EADA138DA927EACDA5D9221E0467FC5DFC2.jpg
16D1E1C0800657EF08561D5BE6973EFA9B37B0D4.jpg

5287254127EE051CAE87CFC5B622FA28060AF226.jpg
74A51D152711B4B500904923B8BEF6C6E3BB7C80.jpg

16.11.5 is stable for it. I do not like having to go back either, but I do not see either Square nor AMD caring for a fix, which is bullhit. :(

Well I guess I will wait for first patch/ or new AMD driver release. Well at least trough this experience I realize why some buy directly from Steam and not from third party key sellers even if it's decently more expensive. Had I bought directly from Steam I could at least refund my game and go pick PS4 copy...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The engine seems pretty bad overall. Playing it on Pro and although it's 60 fps, there's a lot of random stutters while traversing the world (while fighting it runs fine, so I guess it's a streaming issue).

Its portalling issues I think. The game loads in chunks of map based on player position/game conditions, and if it happens to have to process multiple areas active at a time, performance tanks. You can see it very clearly happen on Pro at the end of a certain section involving a locked door.

Once that door gets opened, returning back through to the previous area results in prolonged slowdown until the area revealed behind the door gets unloaded again.

Its not a simple case of occlusion failing because its far less granular than you might expect.

People (including DrDaxxy ;)) have discussed this in more detail in the PC performance thread already.

It still needs to be tested across the game but it's looking pretty good.

Oooooh. Well that's cool. I haven't been to that thread much.

I might be picking up the game soon though so I'll keep an eye out.

AEdouard

That's simply not true. A Radeon 280X (a $200 GPU almost exactly as fast as a PS4 Pro) is delivering almost exactly the same performance as PS4 Pro.

It's running at a solid 60 FPS at 2560x1440 for me.

I guess I'm missing out on the authentic experience :(

A PS4 Pro is generally a better option than a PC with a 280x though, mainly because PC releases aren't optimized with 30 fps in mind (those crappy frametimes unless you jump through hoops, and even then it's not exactly as good - no 60 fps menus/30 fps gameplay for example). With a 280x, you end up with crappy running PC ports while the Pro has been tuned to run those games with good frame pacing at 30 fps and properly calibrated graphical options. It's ok when it's a 60 fps console release though, like NieR.

Maybe I'm being to harsh but competent seems a stretch for something that screws up something as basic as displaying fullscreen. It certainly sounds like the bigger issues are fixable but it's a bit inexcusable.

No kidding. I understand people like the game and want to be generous to Platinum, but a game not being able to correctly handle fullscreen out of the box is a straight up bad port. I don't care if it's easy for the user to fix, this is a $60 and late PC port. Fundamental stuff should work.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think that the choice of title for the video was poor, John. It implies that there's something seriously wrong with the game and you have people posting stuff like "another bad port" without watching it.
Ah, well, I didn't make the video title choice. :-/

Grief.exe

The port is quirky, but calling it a bad port is just being disingenuous.

I believe Gsync functions to 30 frames.

What he likely meant is he can't take advantage of his 144 Hz monitor.

Pinkuss

Those saying it's not bad; performance wise it ran fine for me on okay but not amazing hardware. Are we omitting it white screens for a large number of users (and only using old, less optimised drivers is so far the option)?

Cant wait till I can play this again but I'm not faffing with the old drivers.

Ah, well, I didn't make the video title choice. :-/

I'd strongly suggest "Nier Automata on PC ISN'T BAD GUYS CALM THE F DOWN" or.... something :p

It looks noticeably worse in that first screenshot comparison.

It's one of those things that I could probably overlook in a game like this where the gameplay is vastly more important than the visuals (as it looks rather dated in general). But yeah, the differences are clear.

theultimo

Other then the fullscreen issue, my 1060 6gb is running 60 in the majority of the time, with some slight stutter now and then from loading new transitions.

Running MSAA off and forcing fxaa/AO.

Top Bottom