• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: What's Up With Nier Automata on PC? (Also stutters on PS4/Pro)

kewlmyc

The cutscene problem is the worst for me. It's so freaking jarring. I tried the fix that was mentioned, and will be testing it out tonight. Apparently it works for some, but not others.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Their engine isn't optimized for a a lot of things apparently .. even on Pro the cut-scenes drop to 900p/30 FPS without any anti aliasing.

Not sure whether it's rushed development, the engine just not supporting this etc etc but this was one of the most underwhelming Pro updates I've seen.

Cutscenes are pre-rendered at 900p/30fps. There's so many of them that they take up over half of the game's filesize.

PC version could be better (the cutscenes are inexcusable) but the PC performance for me is still better than Platinum 60fps on every console game I've played from them.

gngf123

Their engine isn't optimized for a a lot of things apparently .. even on Pro the cut-scenes drop to 900p/30 FPS without any anti aliasing.

Not sure whether it's rushed development, the engine just not supporting this etc etc but this was one of the most underwhelming Pro updates I've seen.

The cutscenes are pre-rendered videos that have been recorded at that resolution/framerate. That is mostly irrelevant to the engine.

Corpekata

Banned
The cut scene issue is baffling and reeks of flat out incompetence.

Like the other stuff I can see why the issues exist, but having decent pre-rendered cut scenes (especially in a story heavy game) should not be a hurdle that needs to be cleared.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The cutscenes are pre-rendered videos that have been recorded at that resolution/framerate. That is mostly irrelevant to the engine.

Well .. ok.

Still inexcusable. Even ME: Andromeda, a game which runs at 900p on XB1, has 1080p pre recorded video files where applicable.

I think my current rig won't be able to handle this propertly, however I have a PS4Pro too.

My machine is an i5 4440 with a 970, I think it's better to go the console route, what do you guys/gals think?

T.O.P

Banned
How's the framerate @1080p for you with the 970, have the same card and am wondering weather to get the game now or wait a bit for a few patches to happen.

Ah, good to hear, 970 owner here. Do you get frame-drops when traversing the map or do you achieve steady 60fps with settings lowered? If so, will double-dip when it hits the 20-30€ line.

Steady 60fps @1080 but i don't remember wich settings (apart from 2x msaa) i'm using, will check when i'm off work

The only noticeable fps drops i got were during certain 2d segments and cutscenes, sometimes during traversal but rarely

I think my current rig won't be able to handle this propertly, however I have a PS4Pro too.

My machine is an i5 4440 with a 970, I think it's better to go the console route, what do you guys/gals think?

There are plenty of people with that rig here and on the PC performance thread, check on their opinion but by having seen them I strongly suggest PC version, I have a 970 too and it runs on 60 fps almost flawlessly on 1080p. You won't get this performance on pro version.

Gitaroo

because cut scene are pre recorded videso based on standard ps4 setting, 900p. Pro support were kind of an after though, cut scenes were probably done before they even start looking at supporting the pro.

What high quality assets?

higher quality assets compare to the games that were using it like transformer. Assuming Transformer used it.

I have an i5 4430 and the game never makes your CPU sweat at all. It's more GPU dependant and what you have will allow you to play with higher framerates than the Pro version.

Lister

Banned

Your 970 will outperform the Pro. The PC being the best performing verison of the game means it's probably the best version to go for unless the 970 has some specific issue with the game, but I'm not aware of one.

In the video "competent but not especially impressive port" is said, that's far from a bad port.
Yeah, this being a quick cash-grab port I wasn't expecting anything more to be honest.

The pre-rendered video playback bug is probably the most heinous.

Wow, there is a lot of stuttering in this game. :(

Is that the case on PS4 as well?

Yes even on Pro the game stutters a lot. Kinda disappointing but it does not seem to happen nearly as often during combat - mostly noticeable when running around and the environment is loading.

AEdouard

You can have a great PC version with this port. Only issue is that you have to dig into forums to figure out how (fullscreen bug, AA/AO MSAA issue with pop ins and performance).

I heard from someone it was a good port but it sure doesn't look like one here with all these issues.

Regardless, the engine itself is really bad so can't really blame the hardware here.

I think it's fine on PS4 Pro. The IQ is decent and the framerate is not a problem.

The occasional stuttering when loading new areas is annoying, but not game breaking.

AEdouard

Do the 2 things mentionned here : 1.patch or borderless gaming for the fullscreen bug and 2. don't use the AA option (it's MSAA and is a performance killer and adds pop in issues, while the "AO" option already has a totally fine post process AA). That way your PC will run it better than a PS4 Pro.

KainXVIII

Thanks for analysis!
Shame, this game deserves much better port, especially with current price.
Also it will be nice to see some other DF reports on latest console ports, like Atelier Sophie/Firis (and how assets differs from PS4 to PC) or Berserk (PS4/PS4Pro/PC and how Environment Quality setting tanks performance even on powerful rigs and what it really do)

Thanks everyone for the taking the time to answer! I guess once I'm done with Yakuza 0, I'll get this one on Steam.

Also, they'll probably patch some of the small issues that are not engine constraints.

Arkeband

Banned
PS4 version stutters too.

Depends where the player is obviously, there are areas where it's silky smooth (on Pro), but generally traversing the larger open world city segments produces stuttering.

One time it failed to load the next area and I ran into a boundary where the textures were all muddy and partially loaded, and the game actually popped up a message saying 'loading next area' or something - which is interesting because the Steam page states it doesn't do this. But it can, in rare cases!

I don't know about console guys, but you sure as hell are. The PC version is better than the console version in terms of performance and resolution, those are the facts. The issues brought up are present on all versions. If that bothers you on some deep emotional level, I'd suggest you stay away from PC performance related threads.

We wouldn't want you to get al l bent out of shape at PC elitists, for, you know, pointing out facts about performance on a performance thread, because, the horror.

PC version is better than the PS4 version if you have the right hardware.

Not sure why it is so hard to get it.

gngf123

This game runs like shit on a GTX 750 Ti much below PS4 performance and settings and resolution

That is to be expected. A 750 doesn't really hold up on GPU intensive games any more. It's weaker than the PS4 and much, much weaker than a Pro.

By the way people:

Thank you to everyone who has supported NieR:Automata.
We are happy so many are enjoying the game. We wanted to let you know that we appreciate all your feedback and are investigating the issues that have been reported.
Please stay tuned for updates.

Thank you - The NieR:Automata team.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/524220/announcements/detail/500303861686743473

Patch probably on its way.

Glad that PC gamers finally get to experience the janky ass chugging of Yoko Taro games. Enjoy!!!

Constant 60fps with some stuttering when streaming large environments is far from the jankiness of his other games.

KarmaCow

So is this like MGR where the majority of the filesize is bogged down with pre-rendered cutscenes that are lower res than the actual game?

Man cmon do mass effect and Nier need to both have unoptimized PC ports? :(

Define unoptimized. I'm running the game on PS4 quality with a Phenom II X4 CPU, which is a very old architecture.

The port have a few rough edges, but I wouldn't call it unoptimized.

epmode

I was getting stutters every ~4 seconds. Incredibly frustrating, couldn't get rid of them. ..until I realized that G-Sync had bugged out and it was no longer active.

After rebooting, the game plays very well. No microstutter at all. At 1440p, the framerate is lower than I'd expect for the tech in the engine but I'm happy with the port.

Durante

It's not a bad port. It only need a 1000$ rigs to deliver the same performance as a 500$ console.
That's simply not true. A Radeon 280X (a $200 GPU almost exactly as fast as a PS4 Pro) is delivering almost exactly the same performance as PS4 Pro.

Glad that PC gamers finally get to experience the janky ass chugging of Yoko Taro games. Enjoy!!!
It's running at a solid 60 FPS at 2560x1440 for me.

I guess I'm missing out on the authentic experience :(

dude

dude
Game is running fine for me besides the choppy cutscenes. I liked the video, but that title is pure click bait.

ghibli99

I was getting stutters every ~4 seconds. Incredibly frustrating, couldn't get rid of them. ..until I realized that G-Sync had bugged out and it was no longer active.

After rebooting, the game plays very well. No microstutter at all. At 1440p, the framerate is lower than I'd expect for the tech in the engine but I'm happy with the port.
Even with AA turned off?

Fisty

It's funny because even with all of it's problems, this is still the best running Yoko Taro game to date.

Yep without a doubt, even looks pretty smooth on PS4 Pro. Every other Taro game would slice your eyeballs out with jaggies, on top of the 30fps cap with dips to the low 20s.

I bought this game on Ps4 cause I though it wouldn't have good 3440p X 1440p support. Anyone here play it at that resolution with a 1080 and can tell me how it performs?

Iastfan112

Neo Member
Maybe I'm being t0o harsh but competent seems a stretch for something that screws up something as basic as displaying fullscreen. It certainly sounds like the bigger issues are fixable but it's a bit inexcusable.

gngf123

I bought this game on Ps4 cause I though it wouldn't have good 3440p X 1440p support. Anyone here play it at that resolution with a 1080 and can tell me how it performs?

There's a few people in the PC performance thread who have done that with good performance with the MSAA turned off/down.

Top Bottom