• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch is not primarily a handheld. Will Nintendo make another pure handheld?

Deft Beck

As it says in the title, the Switch is not technically a handheld device. Nintendo themselves categorizes the device as "a console that you can bring with you." They repeatedly emphasized that the device was not meant to replace the 3DS. There are many features from the 3DS (StreetPass, notably) absent from the Switch. In addition, the 3DS is in its twilight years, with only a few major first party titles on the horizon. There is also the sudden debut of the 2DS XL, which signals that Nintendo wants to capitalize on absolutely the last set of customers for that brand as possible.

I also don't think that a "Switch mini" will be an elegant way of providing a device for younger gamers, which is still one of Nintendo's target demographics. Though young users are well acclimated to large devices such as Tablets, even the Switch is perceived by investors and industry speculators to be a device not well suited to young kids. So, a handheld device below the Switch's price range would do well to fill this niche.

I think that Nintendo is not abandoning the social features of the 3DS as much as they are going to try integrating them into a next generation handheld. One that might not be as powerful as the Switch, but one that will be host to the same kind of handheld experiences that Nintendo is adept at creating.

What do you think of this theory?

The 2DS XL just got announced. This is their newest handheld.

Seriously though, pretty sure if the Switch is successful enough, we won't see another handheld before very long.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Once they are done with 3DS/2DS, they will make a handheld spinoff of the switch at some point.

Otherwise, why would they even bother to split their communities again? The whole point was to stop doing that.

Your basially saying they will separate their handheld and console game devs again

I think they're trying their hardest to push the Switch while not killing off 3DS just yet while it's still selling and having games made for it. There isn't a need for a "pure" handheld. The Switch is the successor.

phanphare

Banned
if I were to tell you that the Switch is "a console that you can bring with you" that you can play while holding it in your hands what would you call it?

I do think more SKUs are coming but I also find the odd semantics spin in downplaying the handheld nature of the console, well, odd

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
For the near future, it looks like the 2DS/3DS will carry the portable-only torch alongside Switch. I don't see a need for new portable hardware - other than revisions - for the next one, two years.

rekameohs

Banned
There are many features from the 3DS (StreetPass, notably) absent from the Switch.
That thing destroyed the battery life in sleep mode. Leave that kind of stuff to the mobile app, since more people will have that out and about than the Switch itself.

Oersted

We had these threads multiple times by now and the answer still is Kimishima doesn't rule it out, but its obviously not a priority.

Zerin

At one point I thought I'd read this would be the first device in an ecosystem. Really only interested in a mobile device ourselves, son will probably be getting The New 2DS for his birthday and we'll consider jumping in on Nintendo's next home console.

It is a handheld and a console. And it is going to reduce in price. Like there is no point in releasing a weaker handheld only system. The point was to streamline their teams and cut fat. They arent going to flip on that.

As it says in the title, the iPad is not technically a handheld device. Apple themselves categorizes the device as "a computer that you can bring with you." They repeatedly emphasized that the device was not meant to replace the Macbook. There are many features from the Macbook (Keyboard, notably) absent from the iPad.

Odd because I have played it in handheld mode probably 90-95 percent of my over 140 hours with it. It's by far my most used handheld during its first year and we are less then 2 months in.

Then look at the hardware itself and it's clear it's s handheld with a docking solution and not a console with a portable solution.

The Switch is just as much of a portable as any other portable system. That being said, I could see them releasing a smaller form factor without docking capabilities later on down the line. They will not make an entirely new handheld console though, that would divide their development efforts again, which is kind of the whole point of Switch from Nintendo's internal viewpoint.

Why? Why on earth would they at this point? It would just split the user base again. Why have two portable consoles? Keep all the development teams focused on one system.

Par Score

The Switch is absolutely, unequivocally, a handheld. It's just got a fancy charging station that let's you use it on your TV too.

They will likely in future release a cheaper version without the fancy charging station and extra controller gubbins. It will still be a handheld.

If they make a clamshell version of the Switch with a d-pad I'd probably be very tempted to get a second. But the system's barely been out for two months, so I wouldn't expect any spinoff versions of the Switch for a bit.

Although my Switch already is a portable device. I haven't even bothered using the HDMI out on it yet.

I also don't think that a "Switch mini" will be an elegant way of providing a device for younger gamers, which is still one of Nintendo's target demographics. Though young users are well acclimated to large devices such as Tablets, even the Switch is perceived by investors and industry speculators to be a device not well suited to young kids. So, a handheld device below the Switch's price range would do well to fill this niche.

The problem is that now they have to develop a pipeline of software for this hypothetical not-a-Switch device, which was one of the big headaches they had with keeping their platforms vibrant last generation and the primary driver behind the Switch in the first place.

Nintendo is not going to go back to developing two games for each franchise for totally different platforms, PLUS developing mobile games, too. They don't have the resources to do that.

It's a 100% handheld product, the main board and everything exists in the tablet itself. It just comes with a dock -> TV.

True Fire

You are being WAY too literal about console vs handheld. The entire point is that Nintendo is smashing conventions.

Gator86

Nintendo should definitely make a standalone handheld separate from the Switch if they want the Switch to fail.

Yes, but it's an extension of the console function.
Do you own a Switch or have seen one in person? It is both technically and literally and a handheld device. That you can use it as a home console or both does not mean it's not physically a handheld.

And i say this as someone who uses it 90% docked.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
my guess is you'll see a smaller switch (5-6") before you see a new platform.

there is literally no reason for Nintendo to release a new handheld platform at this point.

oh btw, switch is a handheld. Not sure what's you're smoking.

Yes, but it's an extension of the console function.

dude, it's a handheld. that it can be hooked up to a TV with sheer ease and play games more powerful than last gen is the frosting. and this is coming from someone who has probably 100+ hours on it docked.

The distinction between the two is now gone with the Switch. Same with console vs handheld type games. The Switch is just as much a handheld as any other handheld is, and just as much a console as any other console. It's a hybrid.

I don't expect to see any "new" hardware outside of the Switch and 3DS/2DS family for the forseeable future, and I'm hoping that the new 2DSXL is the last we'll see of the latter.

Kyzer

Banned
As it says in the title, the Switch is not technically a handheld device. Nintendo themselves categorizes the device as "a console that you can bring with you." They repeatedly emphasized that the device was not meant to replace the 3DS. There are many features from the 3DS (StreetPass, notably) absent from the Switch. In addition, the 3DS is in its twilight years, with only a few major first party titles on the horizon. There is also the sudden debut of the 2DS XL, which signals that Nintendo wants to capitalize on absolutely the last set of customers for that brand as possible.

I think that Nintendo is not abandoning the social features of the 3DS as much as they are going to try integrating them into a next generation handheld. One that might not be as powerful as the Switch, but one that will be host to the same kind of handheld experiences that Nintendo is adept at creating.

What do you think of this theory?

The Nintendo Switch is a Handheld.

The Nintendo Switch is also a Console.

Im not sure why people have trouble figuring this out. For the record, by the way, this is somehow a contentious debate and stating it matter of factly as a thread title is going to go over well, Im sure.

Anyways, Nintendo markets it as a handheld first in japan, so your evidence is worthless. Its both.

The Switch is a handheld with a TV out. The PSPGo had a TV out and ability to use a DualShock 3 with it. Is the PSPGoa home console too? No, it's just a handheld with extra features for using on the TV, like the Switch.

The New 2DS XL is just the new Game Boy Micro.

Deft Beck

That thing destroyed the battery life in sleep mode. Leave that kind of stuff to the mobile app, since more people will have that out and about than the Switch itself.

I suppose that's true. Though, the whole purpose of StreetPass was to get people to take their gaming device with them everywhere.

what does that mean?

I mean that even though you can use it in a handheld mode, it was primarily designed and categorized by Nintendo as a console first.

As it says in the title, the iPad is not technically a handheld device. Apple themselves categorizes the device as "a computer that you can bring with you." They repeatedly emphasized that the device was not meant to replace the Macbook. There are many features from the Macbook (Keyboard, notably) absent from the iPad.

Cute. I suppose that I'm focusing too much on semantics over business logic.

The Switch is just as much of a portable as any other portable system. That being said, I could see them releasing a smaller form factor without docking capabilities later on down the line. They will not make an entirely new handheld console though, that would divide their development efforts again, which is kind of the whole point of Switch from Nintendo's internal viewpoint.

This is also quite possible, and aligns with investor speculation. Though, I'm fully willing to be surprised, as is Nintendo's knack.

Odd because I have played it in handheld mode probably 90-95 percent of my over 140 hours with it. It's by far my most used handheld during its first year and we are less then 2 months in.

Then look at the hardware itself and it's clear it's s handheld with a docking solution and not a console with a portable solution.

I also mainly use it in handheld mode.

I can see why you could view it as a handheld-first. I think it would be more honest of Nintendo if they said that, though they don't want to poison the 3DS.

Perhaps I was being a bit literal. Now that I remembered how they consolidated their departments, it does make more sense that the Switch is what it naturally appears to be, over taking the gospel of the PR.

PSFan

I agree. And even though Nintendo claims it's a console first, they've handled it more like their handhelds so far. Releasing it in March/Non holiday, like they typically do with handhelds and using cartridges as well, like their handhelds.

Aleh

The Switch is a console that has:

- A Handheld mode
- A TV mode
- A Tabletop mode

It is not just a 'home console' and it is not just a 'portable console'.

Two months after launch and this is somehow still weird to some people

tumblr_mjd69lJeaC1qkpda1o3_500.gif

Cerbero

Yup same here, well maybe not 90% of the time but i definitely spend more time with it in handheld mode than in docked mode

Also wasn't the whole "we see this as a console that can become portable" rhetoric mainly used in the west and in Japan it was positioned as a handheld because of the ongoing success of handhelds there due to the mass transit focus of their culture

If there's one thing we can count on Nintendo to do, it's exactly what investors and industry speculators say.

Really, I think mini Switch will eventually fit this segment well enough. It won't be GBASP small or cheap anytime soon, but the negatives of trying to sell two portables (competing against themselves with incompatible libraries) are bigger than the gains of another handheld-only Switch-incompatible machine.

Top Bottom