• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch is not primarily a handheld. Will Nintendo make another pure handheld?

kiguel182

This is the "DS is a third pillar" thing again. If Switch catches on there's no need for an handled since the Switch is handled enough.

They might do a portable only Switch but that's it. There's no need to do an entire separate platform and ecosystem.

Granted, with the JoyCons attached it's quite a bit bigger than any other handheld I've used since maybe the Atari Lynx, so a smaller version of the Switch a few years down the line isn't the most absurd idea I could think of.

But Nintendo releasing another, entirely separate portable platform in addition to the Switch would be.
How do you make it smaller? Do you reduce the screen​? One of the main selling points of the Switch is local multiplayer anywhere. Hard to do that on a smaller screen.

SpokkX

They WILL release iterations of switch using the same or next gen nvidia tegra hardware

This New iteration could be sold under a different name (Nintendo Mini?) in a smaller form factor.

It will however run the same games - They have basically said this, their inspiration is ios devices

Think iPhone vs Ipad. An Ipad runs all iphone software

Danneee

If anything I think a portable only clamshell Switch (maybe with 3DS b/c, don't know how viable that would be) is the next Nintendo console.

redcrayon

Streetpass is hardly an essential feature- it murdered battery life even in sleep mode when enabled. Like 3D I kept it off most of the time to preserve the battery while commuting.

Seeing as the whole point of combining their development teams was to develop for one operating system across multiple form factors, rather than different pieces of hardware requiring different software libraries, I think a 'Switch mini', once the component costs come down, is inevitable as one of the variants we'll see. What isn't inevitable is a completely different new hardware line built around new hardware features and with a seperate software library. At this point supporting the Switch line and expanding the mobile games that then support it and point new hobbyists towards it seems a far more coherent strategyX

I don't think it's really an issue. You still have the transforming Joy-Con, which can be used individually, together with one in each hand, or in a shell resembling a traditional gamepad. It's the Joy-Con in the system logo, not the Switch itself. And no matter what Switch model you'd get, your games can still "switch" between any form factor in the system family.

I think the brand was designed to be future proof and absorb a lot of different form factors under one umbrella.

Hm... I can certainly see your point, but I'm still stuck on that name. "Switch" seems too pure of a brand to dilute, but I won't deny that you make some good points. Though I'm not sure I could see how JoyCon would work with a "portable-only" model. Care to share your idea for how that would work?

How do you make it smaller? Do you reduce the screen​? One of the main selling points of the Switch is local multiplayer anywhere. Hard to do that on a smaller screen.

Again, people are just throwing out ideas that Nintendo might explore when the Switch platform is a couple years in.

In the first few months of the 3DS did anyone imagine Nintendo would release multiple versions of the system called the "2DS" with it's highly-touted new feature missing?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I tend to view the Switch as an upgraded Wii U. A home console that finally properly fulfills the promise of off-TV play but isn't restricted by the Wii U's wireless range.

Banned
Don't let Nintendo's marketing strategy fool you. No matter how they position it, the Switch's power level, form factor and unique selling proposition is it being a handheld that can display higher level visuals on the TV.

Home consoles tend to sell better in the West so they'll market the switch as such here. In Japan they'll market it as a handheld.

The portability factor of the Switch has finally put a Nintendo platform in the conversation for choosing which version of a title somebody wants to buy.

Before the conversation was about if you should buy title X on PC for the graphics and framerate or should you buy it on Xbox or PS (digital foundry analysis would also help determine that decision for some) but now there's people out there who may choose a switch version of a game instead of PC because they prefer the portability factor over nicer visuals.

It's also why lately on GAF and Twitter you see a lot of Port begging for Switch games. It's not because of fanboys, it's because the switch is the first handheld ever that is close enough to a home console in the sense that it can run the same game without major compromises. (for example you won't need to make an exclusive handheld version of the next Sonic game and a "console" version for the PS4/PC/XB1 like Sonic Generations, etc)

Though I'm not sure I could see how JoyCon would work with a "portable-only" model. Care to share your idea for how that would work?

Tabletop-Mode.jpg

Imagine there are fixed controls attached to that main unit.

13ruce

Banned
They can't support 2 platforms first party wise so it would be a dumb choice tbh.

Pure handheld gaming is on mobile now and Nintendo is entering that market with more games soon.

Sure they can release a switch pure handheld but a 3ds succesor would be nuts and dumb.

Not even interested in a pure handheld anymore the hybrid aspect appeals more to me and if they do make a seperate libary handheld. Well then i will just buy the exclusive Zelda game and emulate it on PC later.

They just have to release Pokemon on Switch and the thing will be a guaranteed success.

Also a version without dock would make the thing way cheaper i expect a pro dock for more power and a smaller switch go for handheld only.

Separating libaries yet again would be a huge disaster imo the droughts due to HD development on both platforms would be huge.
No way it will be a 480p handheld lol.

Minsc

Gold Member
Do people really want Nintendo to release a smaller, technically inferior product, incompatible with the premise of the Switch (no TV output), and not called the Switch, that has none of the Switch's games or virtual console titles (once its library gets going)?

Imagine there are fixed controls attached to that main unit.

Gotya. I thought you were envisioning a portable-only Switch that somehow still had it's own detachable JoyCon as opposed to "fixed" ones. But yeah, I wouldn't see the issue with syncing the controllers there.

Do people really want Nintendo to release a smaller, technically inferior product, incompatible with the premise of the Switch (no TV output), and not called the Switch, that has none of the Switch's games or virtual console titles (once its library gets going)?

I sure don't! Though I would be surprised if we don't get a smaller "portable only" version of the hardware we have now.

No. But I do want a smaller Switch with identical chipset, better screen tech, permanently attached controls, better battery life and a superior docking mechanism. I don't think that undermines the "Switch" concept, I think it would improve on the concept.

Banned
It's pretty baffling when you look at it that way lol.

Switch is a handheld. It's both the 3DS and Wii U successor. What are the complaints here? That the controllers are detachable and the battery life is inferior to 3DS (rightfully so looking at the quality level of games it's running)

Gotya. I thought you were envisioning a portable-only Switch that somehow still had it's own detachable JoyCon as opposed to "fixed" ones. But yeah, I wouldn't see the issue with syncing the controllers there.

Yep!

Absolutely no reason why Joy-Con (or Pro Controllers) couldn't sync with a cheaper handheld unit that also has a kickstand.

Jumpman23

Switch is the premium experience and 2DS/3DS is the entry level experience, the pricing says it all. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will release an improved Switch at some point if the market has grown enough and it will shed the 2DS/3DS in favor of the two Switch models. This allows them to keep the cozy $299 price point on one with a lower entry level machine at $149.

ldar247

Banned
In my ideal world they'd just keep the 3DS going tbh. Dump all their "handheld" style garbage like Animal Crossing, 2D Zelda or Mario & Luigi on that (except Pokemon) and focus on meatier console style games on Switch (new Metroid Prime and Bayonetta pls).

I can definitely see a smaller form factor with a higher focus on portability happening once Nintendo is fully ready to kill off the 3DS.

The Switch is an incredible handheld and a lackluster console. So for me, it's a handheld.

And the whole point of the Switch is to stop severing their handheld and console development and consolidate their efforts and budgets into one platform.

They sell it as "a console that you can bring with you" because that's good fucking marketing. Consoles are historically more powerful so saying that this is console-level hardware that is portable makes it seem damn appealing. Of course we know this isn't true. Console-level hardware is something as powerful as PS4 Pro or, hell, even Scorpio.

Switch is the newest generation of handheld power, which is to say, super fucking powerful for a portable -- to the point where you can play some games in an acceptable console-standard 1080p when it's able to draw more juice docked.

The point is, there is not going to be a separate Nintendo handheld. The Switch "Mini" (a somewhat more compact switch that doesn't dock) is the only option for a cheaper, even more portable Nintendo handheld. Even if it's called something different, for the foreseeable future, Nintendo will not be severing their handheld and console development again.

All the stuff about the device not replacing the 3DS is because the 3DS is still selling well and they don't want neuter its sales more than they have to. The lack of social features is because the OS software and apps are a little under-baked in order to get it out in time for Zelda (and the end of the fiscal year).

So, to answer your question: No. Nintendo will not make another "pure" handheld (again, for the foreseeable future). They already have their next generation handheld. And their next generation console. That's entirely the point.

No. But I do want a smaller Switch with identical chipset, better screen tech, permanently attached controls, and a superior docking mechanism. I don't think that undermines the "Switch" concept, I think it would improve on the concept.

Yeah. It's not the craziest thing at all. What handheld has Nintendo released that hasn't undergone multiple iterations over the course of its lifespan?

I mean, their last handheld had a 3DS, 2DS, XL, *New* 3DS, *New* 3DS XL, and now a *New* 2DS. They even released one with a wedge form factor, so I'm willing to believe anything is possible with the future of Switch models.

If anything, it's more unbelievable to imagine the current Switch system will remain static throughout its lifespan. No variations, no different form factors? No Lite version, no XL version?

Sulik2

It makes absolutely zero sense to have two handheld products on the market and to have to split their game design studios into supporting both platforms again. Which probably means Nintendo has a 3DS successor in development, cause being stupid is their executive boards MO.

Do you remember the NX speculation?
There were a lot of people insistent that 'NX' would be multiple systems under one brand, but... with different libraries and incompatible media formats! Which I always thought was ridiculous apart from the multiple system aspect, which doesn't need to be much different than the various 3DS flavours.

Aside from being longer, it's no much less portable than 3DS. Similar battery life and size. There's no reason to make a new portable.

scoobs

Its 100% a handheld in my eyes. I've used it on my TV exactly 2 times. I don't buy the argument that its mainly a console.

Yeah. It's not the craziest thing at all. What handheld has Nintendo released that hasn't undergone multiple iterations over the course of its lifespan?

If anything, it's more unbelievable to imagine the current Switch system will remain static throughout its lifespan. No variations, no different form factors? No Lite version, no XL version?

The question for me is how much Nvidia is going to iterate on the X1 chipset. Like, will Nintendo be better off going with their own form of hardware iteration (Pro, Scorpio) using updated Tegra chips? It may be the case that Nvidia won't continue shrinking the X1 die since they've moved on in the rest of their product line.

zen_arcade said:
It would be absolutely moronic for them to keep splitting up their studios to work on two systems.

Yeah... the single production line is one of the most important "features" of the Switch. I'd be actually pissed if I bought a Switch and Nintendo kept making 3DS exclusives, or even worse, another dedicated handheld.

Can you guys imagine trying to read Breath of the Wild's tiny text on a screen half or three-quarters the size? I know I can't.

I also can't imagine why I'd want to have a dedicated handheld when I can have one system that does both, but I guess there must be people out there.

koss424

In my ideal world they'd just keep the 3DS going tbh. Dump all their "handheld" style garbage like Animal Crossing, 2D Zelda or Mario & Luigi on that (except Pokemon) and focus on meatier console style games on Switch (new Metroid Prime and Bayonetta pls).

The nice thing about the Switch and the convergence of the handheld and console business is that both can co-exist in one ecosystem.

PSFan

If Nintendo wanted to sell the Switch as a "pure" handheld, all they really would have to do is sell it without the dock included, and package it with just the AC adapter instead.

The dock is really not necessary to play its games or anything.

XandBosch

To mirror what others have said, why the hell would anyone even want this?

Switch players who do, go back and try to play your 3DS now and try to tell me that it still feels anything better than "meh".

If anything, people should be wondering if Nintendo is going to come out with a "pure" home console that's way more powerful or something, not a less powerful handheld. What the hell?

Guaranteed a "Switch Lite" is coming that's just the tablet with fixed controls, no dock included, etc. etc. and they price it at like $199 or something. A totally different system though? Nope. The new 2DS is just the micro of the DS line - one last hurrah to sell as many systems and software as possible and that'd be it. It might continue to get games, but I don't see Nintendo fully supporting it past this year.

Leatherface

Why are people so confused about what the Switch is? It doesn't get too much more handheld than this. We have just reached a crossroads where we can have a console like experience now, which is what is so exciting. Instead of getting a cut down, handheld game experience we are getting full on console games and THAT is bad ass.

Honestly, I think Nintendo will let 3DS/2DS die. They may have some stuff lined up for the next year or two tops but I think we are going to see the Switch take over big time.

diaspora

Why are people so confused about what the Switch is? It doesn't get too much more handheld than this. We have just reached a crossroads where we can have a console like experience now, which is what is so exciting. Instead of getting a cut down, handheld game experience we are getting full on console games and THAT is bad ass.

Honestly, I think Nintendo will let 3DS/2DS die. They may have some stuff lined up for the next year or two tops but I think we are going to see the Switch take over big time.

How do you make this more of a handheld or a more pure handheld? Remove TV-out?

I actually like the Switch for what it is, but c'mon. The Gameboy Advance is much more "handheld" than the Switch.

Nintendo should definitely make a standalone handheld separate from the Switch if they want the Switch to fail.

Yea. One of the reasons I invested in a switch day one was seeing Nintendo finally adress keeping their portable/console games on one machine. This is huge to me.

Fire emblem in the living room? Yes please. Console quality Mario in portable mode? Yes please.

Switch is what I've wanted Nintendo to do. I'm happy with their decision.

Two years from now, Nintendo will be developing software for the following devices

- Switch
- Mobile

That's it.

200.gif

Leatherface

How do you make this more of a handheld or a more pure handheld? Remove TV-out?

Like others have said, I could see Nintendo making a version of this that has no TV-out capabilities or dock and be a pure handheld.

I actually like the Switch for what it is, but c'mon. The Gameboy Advance is much more "handheld" than the Switch.

Remember when large screen phones started hitting the market and everyone was poking fun at how ridiculous it was for a phone? Same deal here. This will become the norm and smaller screens / form factor will be scoffed at. Accept your new handheld overlord. :p

ldar247

Banned
The nice thing about the Switch and the convergence of the handheld and console business is that both can co-exist in one ecosystem.

Yeah but putting those on Switch would require much larger budgets and less asset reuse. They would require much less money and resources on 3DS which would mean more of that would go towards actual good games on Switch.

XandBosch

The gameboy advance can't play Breath of the Wild either, and now that we CAN play that kind of experience on the go, who would want to go back?

Maybe some kind of "GBA Classic" for that retro goodness, but a new fully-fledged system? Doubt it.

Top Bottom