• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Golf is apparently hidden in the switch Firmware.

Demoskinos

So back in July modders discovered what seemed to be a NES emulator built in to every switch at the firmware level.

Well now it gets weirder. The "emulator" in question was thought to be called "flog" which is of course Golf spelled backwards. So now its been discovered that not only is there an emulator built in but the NES game "Golf" is built into the firmware of every switch. And now screenshots that show the game with joycon support have been dug up.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nes-golf-hidden-within-switchs-firmware/

800px-Flog3.jpg

800px-Flog1.jpg

NES golf wasnt a big deal here but it was one of the best selling Famicom titles and a defining early game for the platform in Japan.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Actually the images seem to show a joy-con being swung while the ZL button is held indicating some form of motion control.

That looked more like it might be a "sideways joycon/split joycons" toggle or something but you could be right. I guess we'll find out sometime within the next ten years.

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/HskvVz8.jpg[/IMG]

Curious if other virtual console games will get similar motion controls. I won't mind, as long as they can be disabled...

There are dicks on that golf course.

Real talk, that is pretty interesting.

That's probably the "2 player stroke play" mode

I'd say this isn't that surprising since we've known for a while they are gonna give out NES titles with the online service. Weird that Golf is baked in over, like, Mario Bros.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That looked more like it might be a "sideways joycon/split joycons" toggle or something but you could be right. I guess we'll find out sometime within the next ten years.

The icon with the arrow is definitely indicating motion controls.

UberTag

Meh... I'll get excited once I find out we can play Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge. Now THAT's a real man's golf game!

putting-challenge.jpg

Majine

Banned
"Kimishima-san, since we last spoke yesterday we've been able to finally get Switch OS working for the launch of the system. Just one tiny detail, you know I said we tried everything..."

jholmes

Seriously Nintendo you could've put NES Open on there instead. What were you thinking?

I get the sense that the joy con stuff is indicating how to open menus or use save states given how Virtual Console games worked on the 3DS and Wii U but I can't really see what they're showing.

Okay, now this is starting to get interesting. With this and the online element, I'm actually starting to get excited about their "virtual console" plan.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Wasn't NES Golf primarily developed by Iwata?

Iwata and members of HAL helped the programming team. Most of Iwata's early Nintendo coding jobs were assist, port and repair.

The real creator of the golf games was Kenji Miki. I think he's retired now, but his design made it into Wii Sports Golf as tribute.

Top Bottom