• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Golf is apparently hidden in the switch Firmware.

gunstarhero

Hidden built-in game?
gY6p7qf_d.jpg

That was a magical time when I discovered a snail in my SMS.

This feels like a tribute to Iwata, who did everything but the course layouts for Famicom Golf (and he's probably responsible for adapting mechanics from J-PC golf sims of the time into a cart game on console). But yeah, it's probably just a leftover ROM and standalone emulator.

Lylo

Man, some weird story, someone at GBATemp opened a thread in 07/22/2017 requesting someone to check the NES emulator on the Switch, which was known at the time, because he left his Switch for a while and when he returned to it, Golf was totally playable on his Switch!

There must be a way to trigger it. Crazy story, nobody believed the guy at the time.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
This feels like a tribute to Iwata, who did everything but the course layouts for Famicom Golf (and he's probably responsible for adapting mechanics from J-PC golf sims of the time into a cart game on console). But yeah, it's probably just a leftover ROM and standalone emulator.

That's not true.

Pinball for Famicom was his first game for Nintendo. Him and another HAL programmer "repaired" the unfinished program. NIntendo did the design and music and some hack code before they jumped in.

(Future Nintendo golf games after featured HAL programmers but Nintendo did the design and music).

Golf for Famicom, him and other HAL programmers were responsible for the program. It's unclear whether it was also a repair or fresh code contract. Nintendo did the design, graphics and music.

Balloon Fight was a port job by himself (or mainly). But the graphics, music, and original code came from Nintendo (and their SRD program team) on the VS arcade board version of Balloon Fight.

RedToad64

Man, some weird story, someone at GBATemp opened a thread in 07/22/2017 requesting someone to check the NES emulator on the Switch, which was known at the time, because he left his Switch for a while and when he returned to it, Golf was totally playable on his Switch!

There must be a way to trigger it. Crazy story, nobody believed the guy at the time.
Huh, you are correct:
Setery of GBATemp said:
Hey I have something really important regarding the NES emulator on the Nintendo Switch. I had this really odd experience with my switch that when I had left and returned to it, NES Golf was on my screen. I played it and it played normally, but it was night time for me so I wasn't thinking about the importance of this. I went to do some research on this and I didn't find anything about it until I looked at what was discovered by the modding community. They found this "'Flog' NES emulator. Installed on retail systems but not known to be launched by anything currently." I believe that "Flog" is simply "Golf" backwards and I had somehow caused it to launch. Now this is entirely your choice to believe me or not, I totally blame myself for not recording any of it and since it happened randomly to me, I do not think I can repeat this myself.

I want to know if anyone else has experienced this just so I know I'm not alone on this. No I did not record any proof of this as I'm stupid and when I was finished playing it I exited out of it without recording anything.

RedToad64

The icon with the arrow is definitely indicating motion controls.
I originally thought the screenshot was implying that pressing ZL would allow you to change the orientation of the controller... but looking at it again, that definitely seems to be more of a "swing" action, isn't it? The Joycons are even upside down!

Metalmarc

Whats the Secret Code Nintendo?

19.99 per year? Awww

Watch it be only in the first batch of shipped Switches and removed in them later on.

sneas78

Banned
Someone try this:

Turn on your switch and wait for the instruction screen to appear. With
joycon 1, press up and hold buttons 1 and 2.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Someone try this:

Turn on your switch and wait for the instruction screen to appear. With
joycon 1, press up and hold buttons 1 and 2.
....The person who originally posted that on GBATemp did it as a joke.

That's the code to access Snail Maze on the Sega Master System.

Cepheus

It's going to be the first game you get when you sign up for Nintendo's online subscription service, calling it now.

CazTGG

Likely scenario: Nintendo will announce subscription service during Nintendo Direct, say every Switch owner will get Golf for free to see what the service offers i.e. online multiplayer with the newest update that was released during said Direct. Don't know whether they'll allow you to import Wii/Wii U purchases or have yet another indefensible "upgrade" fee during said announcement but that seems to be their intentions.

How are they able to add motion controls to emulated games like this?
They interface with the memory and code of the emulated game.

So for example when you swing the joycon the switch knows how you did, and sets the power of the shot in NES emulated memory, as well as triggering the code to start the swing.

In the interest of possibly sparking someone to figure out how to actually launch this built in title, I want to lay out some things I've gleaned over the course of my research.

• The emulator seems to have been triggered at least once by someone on GBATemp, before it was even revealed (which goes to its legitimacy)
  • The person who triggered the game on GBATemp apparently did so docked, with the Joy-Con free hand (or at least not connected to the Switch), and likely from the Home menu
  • While the home menu is an obvious choice for launching this hidden game, it appears there might be ways to launch it from the System Settings and/or News areas as well
  • I'm not sure if the "Press A to Continue" lock screen counts as the home menu, but if it does there may be a clue in how the analog stick buttons and ZR/ZL produce different sounds when pressed
  • I've tried the Konami code pretty much everywhere, and don't think that has anything to do with it
  • Tapping the Mario theme does nothing either, though as the GBATemp person was docked I don't think that was a likely option anyways
  • There are no cheats specific to NES Golf I could find that might otherwise give us a clue on how to unlock the game

Top Bottom