• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Golf is apparently hidden in the switch Firmware.

rudger

I originally thought the screenshot was implying that pressing ZL would allow you to change the orientation of the controller... but looking at it again, that definitely seems to be more of a "swing" action, isn't it? The Joycons are even upside down!

IR camera redeemed! Honestly, what the hell else is that thing for?

neptunes

They interface with the memory and code of the emulated game.

So for example when you swing the joycon the switch knows how you did, and sets the power of the shot in NES emulated memory, as well as triggering the code to start the swing.
But that would have to be done on a per game basis right? That seems like a lot work.

Meesh

But that would have to be done on a per game basis right? That seems like a lot work.
Maybe that's what's taking VC so long??? Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt...
Edit: Zelda AlttP or Ocarina with HD rumble could be a thing...

shockdude

According to pixelpar, who previously leaked Nintendo Switch hardware, he found someone who said they had unlocked Golf on switch, but no one believed him.
Anyone know about this?
https://twitter.com/pixelpar/status/909358254567907329
Yeah this was brought up on the previous page.
Man, some weird story, someone at GBATemp opened a thread in 07/22/2017 requesting someone to check the NES emulator on the Switch, which was known at the time, because he left his Switch for a while and when he returned to it, Golf was totally playable on his Switch!

There must be a way to trigger it. Crazy story, nobody believed the guy at the time.

I hope the unlocking mechanism is uncovered after the release of Golf Story. It would be a shame for that to have to compete with a free game.

JP

I'm still hoping that they'll have incorporated a way to connect an unmodified NES Mini Classic or SNES Mini Classic to the Switch to unlock old games on the Switch or even do something in the other direction. I know that won't happen though.

samred

The Switch researcher behind this discovery confirmed something interesting when I asked how the screenshots were captured: that the game was accessed "unofficially." Wouldn't elaborate on what that meant, but you can make your own guess what kind of exploit the SwitchBrew folks are working with to get code like this up and running...

Haano

The Switch researcher behind this discovery confirmed something interesting when I asked how the screenshots were captured: that the game was accessed "unofficially." Wouldn't elaborate on what that meant, but you can make your own guess what kind of exploit the SwitchBrew folks are working with to get code like this up and running...

Most of what they use is already public. Check out researched and PegaSwitch. They use these tools to do the research. All he did was run the game from its location using such tools.

-shadow-

Assuming this isnt trolling, the Direct gesture would make sense.
This was actually my first thought. I want to try, but don't want to unlink the app from the Switch. You can't change the date without unlinking it, since it automatic syncs the time online if it is.

Meohsix

Haven't tried it myself, but here's how to launch it apparently.
Official Launch
The checks for this only run while Home Menu is active, aka main-menu.

It checks exactly the following:

Both Joy-Cons must be detached from the system.
The same motion checks for both Joy-Cons must pass, at the same time. The motion seems to be a reference to this.
Hold the Joy-Cons pointing forwards/downwards, then move Joy-Cons to a vertical position, and hold it there for a bit. The Joy-Con grip can be used for this.
The month+day must match the date of Iwata's death: July 11. The loaded date seems to originate from network-time-sync'd time?
The output from a certain function must return 0, 1, or 2. On one system this was tested with, this check would pass.
Lastly a nsam cmd is used. Probably to verify that the title is installed?
Once everything passes it continues to the code which launches(?) flog.

http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Flog#Official_Launch

*Reggie comes on a direct to talk about VC*

"Starting today in the eshop, Virtual Console titles will be available for purchase. In fact, everyone already has one; NES Golf!"

Around the world, NES Golf is queued up onto Switch consoles and people are forced to play it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm trying to test it, but still nothing. So I just need the Joycons to point towards the screen, then rotate so the top/L & LR buttons are facing up?

Are you kidding me? :O

Don't waste your time trying this yet if you're just an interested but unskilled layman like me. I'm following the thread at gbatemp which is updated like on the minute, and there are still some unknown variables. People are working on it, and there are still some calling it a hoax because the set of triggers to launch flog without an "unofficial" method(as the primary investigators call it) are not yet fully known.

I want this to be real, but there are many factors working against normal users being able to trigger this.

Yukinari

Is that golfer supposed to be Mario? The nose and moustache and chubbiness I mean..

latest

Nah hes his own character in Captain Rainbow

kc44135

This is just for that "instant game collection" or whatever Nintendo calls it, right? The service that comes with an online subscription? I just want Virtual Console. :(

The loaded date originates from network-time-sync'd time, regardless of whether the user has it enabled or not. When the system was never connected to the Internet, it comes from the user-specified date instead.

Updated Flog wiki page.
Well... I guess that's why it's not happening except for people who didn't connect it once.

Zomba13

Does anybody else find this supposedly being tied to Iwata's death... disrespectful? I don't think Nintendo would do that.

I find it a bit weird. Like, why wouldn't you tie it to his birthday or something, honor his life instead of his death.

Top Bottom