• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TalesFrom4ChansAss (?): Rare employee spills next Xbox's name, XBOX NOW, talks Banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Xbox Past if old

xboxnow.com leads to xbox.com

On Xbox Now

Referred to as neXtBox throughout development period, KineXbox to those looking for a beating, but the official title is... "Xbox Now!"

Yes, it even has that little explanation point at the end, the "Xbox Now!"
Specs; 7000-series AMD, Backwards compatibility, access to featured 'channels' and social networking dependent on membership status, as previously stated, and subscription to the "Now!" service.

At launch capable of viewing in 3D, with added option of playing disc media such as DVD's and Blu-Ray's once again depending on Now! and membership period.

Also, I'd hate to sound condescending to the newer generation of gamers, but in the eyes of advertisement executives and marketing maestros everywhere, the name Xbox Now! fits in perfectly as a buzzword to just filter through the industry.

While the Xbox Now! uses Kinect like its predecessor, "Xbox, Turn on" is a defunct command.
Instead, gamers can turn on their consoles with an issued command of "Xbox, Now!".

I get it, really, it ties in with the instantaneous world of social networking, and being informed of events as they happen, down to the last second.
Sure, everything is needed now, right away, this second.
But spare a thought for those with more patience as you shout, over and over...
"Xbox, Now!"
"Xbox... Now!"
"Xbox NOW!"

Like Kinect, Xbox Now! required adequate space to function properly. The design has remained largely unchanged from the previous Xbox 360 Slim version, a bit of artsy decal on the side that has "Now!" written across it.
It looks gaudy as hell, and extremely tacky, but what do I know...

The new Xbox is nearly equal in weight to a slab of concrete, is that close enough?

On working on Donkey Kong or Conker games:

No - Conker is Chris Seavors baby and we shan't be playing with that Squirrels bollocks any time soon.

No Donkey Kong Country either - that belongs with Nintendo, and we're allowed to play with their toys.

On Banjo N&B/ canned Banjo Threeie:

Nuts & Bolts came about after an incredibly disheartening meeting with Microsoft. I'm probably going to kill the spirit of this, but whatever, you deserve to know.

It was a chilly day in Autumn when Microsoft was doing their rounds - as their involvement with projects like Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo continued, they began to get more and more invasive in the creative process.

Our little Banjo team had been relatively untouched; with Kameo entering the foray of a future RPG license and Perfect Dark promising a new FPS title for MS, they had exactly what they wanted to launch for the Xbox 360, and the team working on "That Banjo game" seemed to be left out of the inspections.
On one of their tours we decided to mock up a presentation to show of our latest efforts, which was a title nearly 19 months in development and I'd say around 85% complete.

You're going to hate this.

We set up an elaborate demo of Banjo-Theeie for the tour in one of our screening rooms, and three reps from Microsoft were invited for our initial "Sneak preview".

The preview would have delighted any developer - our programmers and artists worked in tandem to create these incredibly detailed landscapes with excellent draw - without taxing the Xbox 360 either, which was a real shock!

We had a few levels on show, the preview focusing on the most impressive, so we had a bit where Banjo jumped from the top of the castle in Fairly Tall Tales while a few rigged turrets exploded in one of our pre-rendered parody sequences (slow motion and all that).
It zoomed right in on his face as he pulled an exaggerated scream in slo-mo and cut to the next area which was one of our underwater levels. As Banjo swam around collecting notes you could see schools of fish in pockets, and as Banjo began swimming up and you got an idea of the sheer immensity of its scope - it just looked like it went up forever, with our thick groupings of fish swimming around endlessly.

We then cut to a Jiggy collecting bit in our Gladiator arena level (ostensibly Staggering Stadium as I recall, though Jiggoseum was considered as well), showed a really intricate flying sequence in a beach level, showed off some seriously trippy anti-gravity spin jumping in our space-themed level before rescuing a family of Jinjo's in our Western showcase.

The presentation ended, we turned on the lights and enthusiastically turned to the representatives, all smiles - we were the only ones.

I shit you not here - one of the reps was putting away a cellphone, which means instead of watching the video, he was doing fuck knows what with his phone, completely ignorant of the countless hours from artists, programmers, musicians and so on - that really got under my skin.

"So...", began the fat one in the center breaking the silence, "The efforts from the other teams are coming along quite nicely - in fact, we're expecting the RPG and Shooter title to be nearly ready for launch" (Also, I should point out here, while Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero were farther along than Banjo, they were in no way 'ready for launch', serious testing would have to be done in the meantime, and after Microsoft left everyone went into a panic).

They went on to analyze the Banjo game, citing demographics, and statistics and other such frivolity that they churn up in these situations - the fact we had been on and off Banjo since 2002 (Gamecube title before the buyout) was their main crux in the argument.

They didn't like the humor, that was the first thing forward, and they didn't like the music, and they didn't like this or that, I honestly stopped listening once it became nonstop criticism, my gut must have fallen through to the floor.

"...So I'm afraid in this current climate, such a title wouldn't hit the mark per say..."
Completely unsympathetic, just a droning corporate monotone voice that tells a tight-knit team they've wasted 19 months of hard work.

It didn't matter that it was nearly finished, it didn't matter that the fans would love it, it didn't matter that it used the power of the 360 to make the previous entries look tame in comparison. What mattered instead was that the game was canceled - that was that.
A tired apology, a few shaking hands, false smiles and they were gone.
Their parting words as I balled my fists:

"But, we do look forward to seeing what you come up with next time..."

To make an incredibly long and sad story short, a few visits with Microsoft later culminated in Banjo getting a second chance - though it would only be possible if we combined the efforts of a second team into our own.
It probably won`t surprise you to learn that the team we were merged with was working on an inventive vehicle building title.
On paper it looks like a match made in heaven - one team has an interesting concept, but no plot, no characters and no structure.
- the other team has a plot, characters and structure, but no concept that would set it out as unique.

We tried our best to remake Banjo-Threeie into what we wanted, but the combined issues of Microsoft demanding changes and the team expanding to an unmanageable size meant that organization, passion and productivity were the first casualties.

When all was finished, Microsoft approached us with an interesting motion control device, while Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was released to the excited masses.

I'm sorry.
I'm so, so, sorry.

Probably a lot of bullshit, but Xbox Now seems to be a thing

About his verification:

Check this and this - probably not a Rare employee

Source (4Chan) <- is dead! Check the screengrab here

Thanks to the guys from the Next Xbox Reveal thread for bringing this up!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The Banjo stuff was very interesting and very sad. I'm feeling quite negative towards those particular idiots at MS at the moment.

Moxx19

Banned
I'm surprised it wasn't posted here sooner. My brother who isn't really into gaming news was the one who sent it to me through Facebook lol.

Crazy if true, the worst part is Banjo Threeie.

Sydle

I don't care about the name. I remember when everyone was making fun of/didn't like Xbox 360. We'll get over it.

Very sad about Banjo 3. I hope Rare hasn't abandoned that IP. I also hope that those particular MS suits aren't allowed anywhere near Rare ever again.

Striek

Disc media dependant on XBL status? That would be some fucking low nickel and diming shit. Unless I'm reading it wrong

That name is also bad, though all names become tolerable over time and repetition. Theres no way MS is going to have a tacky exclamation mark in the title though, so thankfully I choose to believe this rumour is pure BS.

Courage

Only Now Xbox.

According to the trademark filing, it's for VOD or possibly Skype services;

"List of goods and services: Audio, video and multimedia broadcasting via the internet."

Sounds catchy for a VOD title, but not the console name.

Also think about it, why would MS allow the domain to redirect to xbox.com from now? I thought this company likes keeping everything tightened up until the final moment.

It's also possible the next xbox is still called "Xbox", so the redirect doesn't mean much.

The Banjo thing is hard to believe, I think, purely because that sounds like none of the assets built were carried into Nuts & Bolts. Even if the core of the game changed, you'd expect those levels described to show up in some form in that game if it was 80% complete.

I think you missed some info. He said Rare is working on a new Banjo, Perfect Dark and some Kinect sports titles.

edit: this is wrong, he said he has worked on those games. Nothing on what Rare is working on ATM

Meia

Colonel Sandurz: Try here. Stop.
Dark Helmet: What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the movie?
Colonel Sandurz: Now. You're looking at now, sir. Everything that happens now, is happening now.
Dark Helmet: What happened to then?
Colonel Sandurz: We passed then.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now. We're at now now.
Dark Helmet: Go back to then.
Colonel Sandurz: When?
Dark Helmet: Now.
Colonel Sandurz: Now?
Dark Helmet: Now.
Colonel Sandurz: I can't.
Dark Helmet: Why?
Colonel Sandurz: We missed it.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now.
Dark Helmet: When will then be now?
Colonel Sandurz: Soon.

First thing popped into my head.

Moxx19

Banned
I'm going out on a limb and say "I don't believe it". Could be true, but I don't want it to be. :lol

Yeah that was my first reaction, but as I kept reading, it started to look more genuine. If that stuff about Banjo Threeie was true, I'm going to be sad.

Pyrokai

Banjo-Threeie is that game for me.....that one game you know you'll always want but you can never have, and it breaks my heart :( . I really wish MS didn't own the IP. It's just being sat on right now. I wish former Rare employees could form a new studio along with the beloved Banjo name and make Banjo-Threeie. It will never, ever happen though :(

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, I'm still playing a bit of catch up with these questions. Like Kinect, You are the Controller, and while Microsoft may advertise that all you need is yourself, controllers for the Xbox Now! are available.
Just as some games were advertised as "Better with Kinect", the Xbox Now! titles will be advertised as "Optional with Controller", so you'll still see your Call of Duty's and Halo's relying heavily on the controller to nail those kill streaks accurately, they will also have features to be accessed by Kinect.
The controller doesn't look that much different from the Xbox 360 controller really, I've seen a few funky attachments that Microsoft has prepared for SmartGlass, like an option to place your mobile/tablet in the center to use in conjunction with the controller, but the set up is nearly identical barring that.

on the controller

Yes, it is.

when asked if the PS4 was more powerful

Xboxnow.com was registered 13 years ago.

Xbox Now trademark was registered in the EU under Telecommunications.

Unless the next Xbox is a phone.

Courage

Ok, this is fake. Look at what he says in the 4chan thread

via iMax:

The design has remained largely unchanged from the previous Xbox 360 Slim version, a bit of artsy decal on the side that has "Now!" written across it.

lol

Turning on your console with the words "Xbox Now". Does anyone see this being a problem? You're in your room with your friends, you ask them "So are you guys buying the Xbox Now?" Bam. You xbox turns on. Seems pretty dumb. Not to mention asking "So are you buying the Xbox Now?" has a double meaning and sounds dumb in its own right.

I've seen a few funky attachments that Microsoft has prepared for SmartGlass, like an option to place your mobile/tablet in the center to use in conjunction with the controller, but the set up is nearly identical barring that.

What.

Lakitu

st5fu
No way that's real, especially when he describes Xbox Now! I would actually buy the console and throw it in the bin, if that were actually true.

Forkball

The Xbox 3 rumors are far more insane and ridiculous than the PS4's during the Orbis era. Can May 21st come already so we can all return to sanity?

Moxx19

Banned
Yeah some of the shit he is writing now is too absurd. I thought it could be true before he talked about PS4

Artex

Banned
Sounds more likely to be a service on the new Xbox rather than the console name itself.

That being said, I hope it is called that. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Looking at the thread though the proof isn't very good. Several people have that Banjo picture signed by all the staff and many fans have that exact shirt and business card. Leigh Loveday usually includes his business card with the packages that Rare sends out for twitter competitions.

Ask a Rare Ltd. Employee Anything - Including what we have up next for the neXtbox 720 this Tuesday for the Microsoft Press Conference...

employee_zps6dff8628.png

Tuck

The Banjo stuff sounds believable. And sad. Very sad.

But... Xbox Now! ..?

Really? No way. I highly doubt thats real, which calls into question the Banjo stuff too. I guess we'll find out in a few days, but thats the stupidest name I've ever heard.
lol Wii U

If legit, that Banjo stuff certainly made me sad. I'm a huge fan of the series and, while I did enjoy Nuts & Bolts for what it was, it's certainly not what me and other fans were looking for. Hopefully, one day, we get the sequel we've always wanted.

Kud Dukan

How would he know what the console would look like? Even if they had finalised a design, I can't imagine that developers have seen it yet.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wouldn't be shocked at all if that's what happened to Banjo-Threeie :(

Also, Xbox Now is a horrible name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom