• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TalesFrom4ChansAss (?): Rare employee spills next Xbox's name, XBOX NOW, talks Banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.
We knew MS killed the Rare we know and love. We didn't know it was that bad. The suit calling PDZ "the shooter game" put a pain in my chest. It, at the time, was a sequel to one of the greatest console shooters ever.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the xboxnow.com domain:

Registrant:
Domain Administrator
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond WA 98052
US
domains@microsoft.com +1.4258828080 Fax: +1.4259367329

Domain Name: xboxnow.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:
Domain Administrator
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond WA 98052
US
domains@microsoft.com +1.4258828080 Fax: +1.4259367329
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
MSN Hostmaster
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond WA 98052
US
msnhst@microsoft.com +1.4258828080 Fax: +1.4259367329

Created on..............: 2000-03-01.
Expires on..............: 2014-03-01.
Record last updated on..: 2013-01-29.

Domain servers in listed order:

ns4.msft.net
ns5.msft.net
ns1.msft.net
ns2.msft.net
ns3.msft.net
Source: https://www.markmonitor.com/cgi-bin/affsearch.cgi?dn=xboxnow.com&x=-1207&y=-11&template=markmon

Also, for what it's worth, "Xbox Now" was trademarked in Europe in 2012, under G&S "Audio, video and multimedia broadcasting via the internet."

xboxnowtrademarkeurkud6.png

Source: http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/RequestManager/#

This does of course not make it any less credible that the name of the next Xbox is "Xbox Now", but it seems a bit strange. There is no corresponding trademark to this in USA as far as I know.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
For new page

I've just sent that picture to my boss at work to show his brother in law, who works in rare (not making this up) and his response was pretty much "Bullshit". He even remarked on the beanie saying how old that thing is and who on their mind would be using it now with the summer weather.

I will say that he's one of the programmers there and has worked on 3D Audio testing. That's all I am going to give

Again, sorry but I have more pictures now to prove that this is very unlickly but anyone can get what this user has to show proof.

They have the shirt and the signed poster. This picture was taken from the Rare Collections post Rare did on fans with merch:

http://rare.co.uk/blog/2011/04/07/rare-collections/

Blast from the past. I loved that the Doney Kong cartridges were yellow. I hope they do it for the 3DS release of DKCR.

Rösti;58124936 said:
Regarding the xboxnow.com domain:

Source: https://www.markmonitor.com/cgi-bin/affsearch.cgi?dn=xboxnow.com&x=-1207&y=-11&template=markmon

Also, for what it's worth, "Xbox Now" was trademarked in Europe in 2012, under G&S "Audio, video and multimedia broadcasting via the internet."

xboxnowtrademarkeurkud6.png

Source: http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/RequestManager/#

This does of course not make it any less credible that the name of the next Xbox is "Xbox Now", but it seems a bit strange. There is no corresponding trademark to this in USA as far as I know.
A service for Europe?

bidguy

Banned
xbox now was registered in 2000. its nothing but a mere coincidence.
hes avoiding important questions and instead of answering them posts a nonbelieveable sob story.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Don't believe his lies.

Nope, he went to the Christmas fire work party at the old RARE head quaters two years back here in the Midlands and I've seen the pictures (and remember how jealous I was) of him and his family and newly born son. It's genuine and I wouldn't make shit up to say his response on outing this fake photo and information.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
X-box Now is such a stupid name, it's completely possible Microsoft has chosen it.

Moxx19

Banned
The sad part is we will never know if its true.

This still sours me on microsoft to an incredible extent.

Nope, its pretty much BS lol. His proof is from a stolen picture that anyone could have gotten, which was my first thought to grab a handful of salt (turns out its from some fan thing) and the Banjo story seems ridiculous now that I've read it again

Forsythia

Not only does the name sound like bullshit, but needing a subscription to play dvd's and bluray, what? But then again, they charged to play dvd's on the OG Xbox, so who knows.

Nope, he went to the Christmas fire work party at the old RARE head quaters two years back here in the Midlands and I've seen the pictures (and remember how jealous I was) of him and his family and newly born son. It's genuine and I wouldn't make shit up to say his response on outing this fake photo and information.

Dude, come on.

Durante

I was 50/50 on this being true up to and including the Xbox Now! part, but the Banjo thing reads too much like fanfiction.

Shiggy

The Banjo story doesn't make much sense imo.

It's true, work on a new Banjo-Kazooie did start in 2002 indeed. But do you want to see some concept art for that?

banjocar2design.jpg
banjocardesign3b.jpg

That prototype didn't have a full team nor was it 85% complete.

I was 50/50 on this being true up to and including the Xbox Now! part, but the Banjo thing reads too much like fanfiction.

there is 12 gbs of ram in the new xbox.
to be precise, there is 4gb gddr5 on the gpu and 8 gb gddr5 on the 8 core ibm custom cpu.
the gpu is the first gcn 2.0 gpu produced and was designed by MS+IBM+AMD.
Eric from IBM will be a speaker on the 21st. gpu spec 4.9 tflops.
I know you all think I'm crazy but tuesday will go down in history as the biggest megaton dropped in gaming history.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58120282&postcount=16623

believe

Well, this doesn't sound terribly credible, but the name (whether for a console or an online service) reminds me of this scene from Southland Tales:

Krysta Now: Well, in my first six movies I was just "Krysta." You know, but then in order to differentiate myself from the 76 other Krystas in the business, I added the "Now."
Cyndi Pinziki: Wow.
Krysta Now: Well, it's all about now, 2008, not next week, not tomorrow. If you wanna fuck me, you can fuck me... now.

The Banjo story makes very little sense. Wouldn't the MS guys have been friendlier toward a traditional 3D platformer--a known quantity--than an experimental, vehicle/platformer hybrid? I mean, in what world would MS have had data suggesting the latter was more likely to be successful than the former?

Iacobellis

Not only does the name sound like bullshit, but needing a subscription to play dvd's and bluray, what? But then again, they charged to play dvd's on the OG Xbox, so who knows.

They charged a one-time fee of around $20 for the remote. Rather have that than a subscription.

CBTech

If this is true, I doubt I will be picking up the new xbox. I hated Xbox Live subscriptions from the beginning and it sounds like they are really trying to push a subscription system on a wider scale.

Next time I will check with you when I'm on the fence of creating a thread

Will PM EviLore if he could add your name to the ToS of GAF so that everybody knows who they have to ask to understand if their stuff is threadworthy or not

Seems like it was deleted

Maybe you can edit it with IOnEI Falcon's replies

Wait WHAT?!! You had to pay to play DVD's??????
Serious? Microsoft doesn't care for its customers then...

I do have to admit the bit about Banjo 3 being the perfect open world platformer with amazing graphics without even stressing the system being 85% done months before launch sounds like wishful thinking or nostalgic hyperbole.

I was thinking more about the MS dude being the perfect little corporate shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom