• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Jeff

When I did the thread reading/posting habits survey a while ago I wavered for a long time on if I should put in a question about what people do when catching up with large numbers of posts in the thread (skip to last page, skim all, read everything thoroughly). In the end I decided against it but I guess I should have left it in.
i) Leave thread open at last read post and close firefox
ii) Go to sleep then work
iii) Go home and refresh page to find 5 upwards 100ppp pages.
iv) Weep a little bit then read through most of the posts.

I was randomly looking at Chiaki Konaka's credits when I had to double check as it turned out he had done writing duties for Futari Ecchi.
That's... hot. And weird. All anime people are perverts.
Futari Ecchi reminds me of Oh!/Ah! My Goddess somehow which is odd considering the main couple are constantly nailing each other unlike Keiichi and Belldandy. Perhaps it's because it's gone on for so long and nothing has fucking happened ever.

I like Shinn Asuka's voice
GSD ruined his voice forever. Then when you hear it in stuff like Sora no Iro it becomes the worst thing. Granted they hardly say anything beyond scripted lines unlike their female counterparts but still...

Crest of the Stars 3
http://i.minus.com/iU4t2up6CoSrx.jpg
Things got more interesting in the second half, as Lafiel and Jinto discuss the differences between humans and Abh, first in relation to paintings and later in relation reproduction. The Abh seem to have some unusual methods of multiplying themselves...
I was unaware that there were hierarchical differences between emperors and kings. Maybe this is a translation issue.

From what I recall, Lafiel's father is part of the Empress's family but is not directly next in line for the throne. So while they're still technically royalty, they're not directly involved in matters of state beyond whatever military rank they obtain for themselves.

Edit: And I'm top of the page so everyone will now judge me. Fuck.

Syrinx

Date a Live 9

Oh, Kurumi's so amazingly EVIL! She'll even use an alternate self to kill herself if shi do gets close to making her fall for him just so she can stay a spirit and kill more people! And her psychotic smile is a thing of beauty.

survivor

Banned
Free! 1

iZivem6lupP4i.png
Best character of the entire show.

All the sentimental friends chit chat talk fell flat and was cringeworthy. But the swimming and upper body parts were good so more of that please.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
From what I recall, Lafiel's father is part of the Empress's family but is not directly next in line for the throne. So while they're still technically royalty, they're not directly involved in matters of state beyond whatever military rank they obtain for themselves.
Actually as far as I can recall, Lafiel is directly in line to become empress in terms of where she stands in the royalty line, correlating to what the author said about the series and how it will cover her life up to the point where she becomes the empress.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 98: An Endless Requiem

~ He really was the most disgusting lot. ~

Dreamboat till the end.

A tremendous episode for a tremendous character. RIP Oskar von Reuental. An honorable warrior till the end. I am so glad he decided to finally clean up Job Truniht's intolerable existence as a last duty towards his lord. And to entrust his son towards Mittermeyer, who is unable to conceive with his wife. Great stuff. It's so sad he didn't get to have one last drink with his friend. It would have been a beautiful little moment.
I feel so bad for Bergengrun. To devote yourself to two High Admirals, and to lose them both. He must have felt horrible. His death was sadder than von Reuental's.

i) Leave thread open at last read post and close firefox
ii) Go to sleep then work
iii) Go home and refresh page to find 5 upwards 100ppp pages.
iv) Weep a little bit then read through most of the posts.

Last night moved rather fast much to my dismay. I guess it's the Free Hypetrain :/

Theonik

Actually as far as I can recall, Lafiel is directly in line to become empress in terms of where she stands in the royalty line, correlating to what the author said about the series and how it will cover her life up to the point where she becomes the empress.
I don't think that is the case. Lafiel is a candidate to become the next Empress but whether she can get the position is entirely up to her.

Mr.Jeff

But I thought (Novel after Banner 3 spoilers)
one of the major things about Lafiel's brother suddenly becoming de-facto Emperor due to the war was that it was only because he was part of the royal family and not in the immediate line for the throne
?

It has been a while since I've watched the series though. I usually get to the end of Banner 1 and then remember how bad Banner 2 is and give up.

cajunator

Banned
Nah she's just on holiday!

Thats alright.

Thank you Haly. You're my favourite butt.

I dont mind you changin it. Its your avatar. Ill just miss Chiho is all.

Date a Live 9

Oh, Kurumi's so amazingly EVIL! She'll even use an alternate self to kill herself if shi do gets close to making her fall for him just so she can stay a spirit and kill more people! And her psychotic smile is a thing of beauty.

Oh yes she is. Shes just incredible by every measure.

cnet128

Banned
Fucking hell, I'll change it back if you really want me to!

Yaaaaaaaaaay! I don't mind if you change to a Free avatar, but this one does feel more...right.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 42

Loooooooool Princess Filia is inside the cat.

Yaaaaaaaaay
Michiru and Kaoru are back
!

Also yay Kintoresuki is back too.
nobody cares about Dorodoron or Mizu Shitatare

Free! 1

This show is so delightfully gay already, and it's only ep 1. Haru/Rin is apparently the ship of the season, but eh.

Dog & Scissors 1

I don't know which is more damning. Reincarnating as a dog, or finding out your favorite author is a downright sadist. The show's definitely got my interest though.

Gifu Dodo!! 1

One word: FABULOUS.

Yaaaaaaaaaay! I don't mind if you change to a Free avatar, but this one does feel more...right.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 42

Loooooooool Princess Filia is inside the cat.

Yaaaaaaaaay
Michiru and Kaoru are back
!

Also yay Kintoresuki is back too.
nobody cares about Dorodoron or Mizu Shitatare

yaaaay I've been waiting for this

3n25l

Free! 1

This was just alright. As an introduction things felt a little disjointed and the production values seem merely average for a KyoAni production. Houyka this ain't. That said it delivered on the UPPER BODIES and the promise of more swimming sakuga and HOT BLOODED FRIEDNSHIP will keep me watching.

Mr.Jeff

Banner 2 > Banner 1 though.
But see, I hated it first time through.
The initial scene at the start in the Abh Language for some reason made me think Jinto was due to die at the end of the series for some reason. So I went through the entire series pretty pissed off that they'd reveal this at the start (even though it's pretty obvious they wouldn't do that) and was distracted from everything else that went on. Also, personally, I found the entire plotline about the planet quite dull even if there were some nice characterisation moments for the crew.

I'll go back to it one day with a better mindset but I just need to get over that particular hurdle.

Ezalc

Free 1
I knew this show was going to be basically DTL paradise, but I didn't think that all the dudes were going to end up sounding like 5 year old little girls. I dropped it within 30 seconds.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope Free!'s swimming can match up to the greatest swimming anime scene of all time.

1194323293161u4skj.gif

One thing I never got about this gif.

The floaters are moving when he stands up. But he's clearly not walking because you can't walk that fast in water.

?????

Argh! You see, this is why I'm the
self-proclaimed
President of the Marathoners Society. It's only been a couple hours since I watched the first episode of Free! and I'm already way too excited for the next one. I don't know how you guys do it!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Nothing can ever match this. Look at it, it's.... Golden.

I know right?

One thing I never got about this gif.

The floaters are moving when he stands up. But he's clearly not walking because you can't walk that fast in water.

?????

thatsthejoke.jpg

(he's also not making a wake either :3)

This looks amazing. What is this?

Golden Boy, the single funniest show ever made.

I hope Free!'s swimming can match up to the greatest swimming anime scene of all time.

1194323293161u4skj.gif

Never forget.

danbooruup11883588466092361726769-4705.gifp

Feels weird watching Free!. It's like I'm watching my swim club boys dick around.

Which makes sense because K-On! was like watching my music club girls be idiots together.

KyoAni stop ripping off my life.

.hack//Sign. episode 4
Getting pretty interesting, still having trouble getting over how much I dislike the character designs though.

Little thing but are the colors supposed to look so dull and muted?

Tenumi

Banned
Awesome idle sprite animations that would be perfect for the Precure fighting game you're never, ever going to get:

More here (character spoilers for Suite and Heartcatch, if you're sensitive to that kind of thing).

Dat ribbon jiggle physics.

Also, just what is Cure Sunny doing?

cnet128

Banned
yaaaay I've been waiting for this

3n25l

<3

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 43

Michiru and Kaoru are fighting for their right to be happy with the Cures. The Cures are fighting to protect Michiru and Kaoru. Saki and Mai and Michiru and Kaoru are all fighting together like the awesome friends they all are. It is wonderful.

Though I am hearing some ominous lines in there implying that none of this is going to last. This had better not be the case. Happiness forever is the only acceptable conclusion here. We do not need another damn tragedy at this stage.

At any rate, we're getting through the villains pretty quickly. Revived Kareharn got taken out last episode, and Revived Moerumba got eliminated in this one. And with the stolen Fairy Carafe now empty, Gohyarn doesn't have any way to re-revive them. I guess with six episodes left to go of this series, we're going to keep taking out one enemy per episode (in order of original appearance?), which would leave three final episodes to take care of Gohyarn and Akudaikaan. Sounds like a plan!

EDIT:

Awesome idle sprite animations that would be perfect for the Precure fighting game you're never, ever going to get:

More here (character spoilers for Suite and Heartcatch, if you're sensitive to that kind of thing).

Aaaaaaargh. Waaaaaaaaaaant. (Needs moar Splash Star though)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Lovely!

Someone call Arc Systems!

Syrinx

Hataraku Maou-Sama 13

Entertaining, but not really an ending. Guess they're setting up a second season.

..which I'm not that optimistic about. I hope they don't ruin the dynamic between Emi and Maou, as that was the highlight of the show. Really don't want this going down the romcom route. Maintain their dynamic please. I suppose a romance between Maou and Chiho could work, but Chiho's mediocre, and her fans are worse than Patriots fans. I wouldn't mind if they just replaced her with a sock puppet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom