• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires Online and Microsoft Flight just removed from Steam

Grief.exe

Games for Windows Live Marketplace on Xbox.com is shutting down today, as a product of this, Microsoft is removing GFWL games that it has published from other retailers as well.

Will I be able to purchase Games for Windows Live games in other marketplaces now that Games for Windows Live titles are no longer available on Xbox.com?

Games for Windows Live titles published by Microsoft are no longer available for purchase from any marketplace. For other titles, please check directly with the title’s publishers.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/pc-games/pc-marketplace-closing

There are several other GFWL titles published by Microsoft that haven't been removed yet.

Fable III
Toy Soldiers (Has an option to install a version without GFWL)
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (Getting GFWL patched out)
Iron Brigade
Gears of War and Halo Trilogy (I can dream)

Pudge

I understand why this is happening, but would it really be that hard to release some sort of gimped version of the games with all the online stuff stripped out? Especially that flight sim since it was essentially a single player game.

cafemomo

MS Flight shouldn't be on anything period.

Such a disgrace to it's predecessors. I will never forgive MS for what they did to their flight simulator franchise

Grief.exe

Sorry about the state of the OP. I'm on my phone and its running out of batteries.

Will update and give some more context when I get home.

Hoping Dark Souls is not next.. save them Durante!

I guess you're joking, but I got a quick question:

I have a steam key for Dark Souls which I have yet to redeem. If this game or any other game were to be removed from the steam store before I redeem the key, does that mean my Steam key is useless, or can I still add it to my library

If Dark Souls is removed from my account I want a full refund. Ball's in your court Gabe.

That will never happen because games are almost never removed from accounts. Even if they're taken off the store, you keep them.

For example, I still have my copies of Crasher and City of Heroes: Going Rogue from the Steam store.

markot

Banned
Makes sense. Unless the devs/pubs have plans in place to replace gfwl, then steam probably will want to discontinue sales so people dont complain when the service is pulled.

welp reaaaaal glad I payed for microsoft flight, is there any info on what happens?

Still shows up in my library though so maybe it'll just keep working

Haunted

Removed from Steam as in removed from people's libraries? Or as in removed from the store and not purchasable anymore?

Rodaballo

Banned
All purchased games stay in your library.
I don't know how this works for F2P and stupid bad worsethanhitler games like AOE Online ....

I still have League Of Legends in my library :V
(i purchased a beginners pack years ago)

Haunted

I don't know how this works for F2P and stupid bad worsethanhitler games like AOE Online ....

League of Legends isn't on Steam so it must be an external shortcut/link on your PC. :p

Bluth54

If Dark Souls is removed from my account I want a full refund. Ball's in your court Gabe.

Games removed from the store are never removed from your account.

I still (unfortunately) have Dragon Age 2 on my Steam account even though it's long gone from the store.

I have a steam key for Dark Souls which I have yet to redeem. If this game or any other game were to be removed from the steam store before I redeem the key, does that mean my Steam key is useless, or can I still add it to my library

This is actually a worrying question. I have Dark Souls in my inventory, but not added to my account, since I haven't had time to get to it yet (and inventory means if I decide to, for some reason, give up on getting to it, I can trade it, gift it, what have you). I assume it'll work fine, but there is that tiny lingering worry.

Haunted

I would've been worried if they removed them from people's libraries. That said, if MS pulls the AoE online servers down you can't play anyway. >_>

Happy that GFWL is gone, but I'd want the games to remain playable.

zaccheus

Banned
AOE Online is so awful. I just wanted to play me some good ol age of empires but i was just bombared with farmville-esque micro transactions. I cant believe anyone puts up with that stuff.

Dug

Banned

I don't think League of Legends was ever on Steam...

EDIT: Oh, it was.

"For a brief period of time after League of Legends launched in 2009, players could purchase a digital collectors edition of the game," Cole said. "This was distributed through a variety of channels (Steam included) via our European partners. We ended those distribution arrangements in 2010, but a small number of players still have this version of the game in their Steam inventories, so that's why it occasionally pops up."

This is actually a worrying question. I have Dark Souls in my inventory, but not added to my account, since I haven't had time to get to it yet (and inventory means if I decide to, for some reason, give up on getting to it, I can trade it, gift it, what have you). I assume it'll work fine, but there is that tiny lingering worry.

I asked this question in the steam thread and a couple of people told me that even if the store page has been removed, the keys for the games are still valid. If you have Dark Souls in your Steam inventory you should be golden then/

I just wish that Steam had the option of when you redeem a key, that you had an option whether to add it to your steam library or to store it in your inventory, similar to when you buy a game from them directly.

Here's the thing, Age of Empires Online doesn't appear in your library UNTIL you download it and now that the store page is gone....where would you download it?

sense

all microsoft games to be on origin!!! DAT EA-MS has to make sense somewhere. i still don't get that relationship. i can understand being moneyhatted for a couple of titles but leaning so heavily to the point of totally ignoring another company is very strange as far as i am concerned. ea is not a company desperate for money and not showing up at any of sony conferences with a single game just tells me there is way more that just money involved.

Papytendo

all microsoft games to be on origin!!! DAT EA-MS has to make sense somewhere. i still don't get that relationship. i can understand being moneyhatted for a couple of titles but leaning so heavily to the point of totally ignoring another company is very strange as far as i am concerned. ea is not a company desperate for money and not showing up at any of sony conferences with a single game just tells me there is way more that just money involved.
wat

but yeah, no. Microsoft doesn't care about EA on PC.

Top Bottom