• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Sugimori talks Pokémon Gen 7: Reverting back to simplicity

ash_ag

Original report of 'We Love Pokémon' magazine article in pk-mn.com. Translation and thread by BMGf members クリスタル and Silktree respectively.

In the magazine “We Love Pokémon”, Game Freak's Ken Sugimori commented on the seventh generation of Pokémon.

When asked what the next generation of Pokémon games will be like if such a plan exists, Sugimori commented that they will not add more layers of complexity, but rather revert back to simplicity, in part by using elements found in Pokémon Red and Green. Therefore, there is now speculation that Game Freak may opt for this route in developing Generation VII.

As a side note, not only the number of games, but also the number of Pokémon, moves, abilities, items, etc. increase as each new generation is introduced, to such a degree that is difficult to remember all of them. It is impossible to decrease the amount of Pokémon, and such a move is assumed to be uncalled for, but some fans have claimed that it might be better to significantly organize/trim the moves, abilities, items, etc.

Also, Sugimori thought that other than the content of the game, Pokémon designs could probably be simplified, as well. As an extra, he stated in the same magazine that his favorite Pokémon of all times, even now as of the Pokémon XY series, is still Gengar as in the past.

I like the idea of trimming moves and the like; truth is that it's really, really needed for some cases. A general streamlining and update of all mechanics, like revisiting some set-on-stone ideas and freshening the battle system would be very beneficial, and working in deductively might help with that.

As far as Pokémon are concerned, Gen 6 with its small number of introductions does show that they are actively working the big number thing, and I'm curious to see if they will have something figured out for Gen 7.

Draconian

Please get rid of HMs. Having to get rid of a move I like because I have to have an HM or I can't progress in the game is just dumb.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Please get rid of HMs. Having to get rid of a move I like because I have to have an HM or I can't progress in the game is just dumb.

This is the one archaic mechanic I'd get rid of in the series. It's such a hassle. Just make Strength a Power Bracelet-like item you can have a Pokémon hold, for example.

NMFried

I think simplifying moves/items/abilities would work, but I don't think they'll be decreasing the Pokedex number anytime soon. If anything, we'll just slowly be getting Mega Evolutions for every Poke, rather than actual evolutions.

Kemal86

I'd really like the battles to be sped up. Like, some things can just happen in real time without having to wait for an animation or text to scroll, such as end of turn status/weather effects, moves that can hit multiple times, and sleep/confusion messages.

traveler

Not Wario
I just want them to remove the inexcusable wall in front of the competitive metagame, given that the competitive metagame is the best, most deep part of the game. (maybe even only worthwhile? single player is a cake walk with no real point other than to get a team for the competitive game) Get rid of IVs entirely- Lvl 5 Pikachus will always have the same stats- get rid of EVs, and let me allocate a set number of stats capped as appropriate that would the same effect as training with EVs to allow for customization. Can you imagine having to grind to play Starcraft, Dota, or Chess competitively? It's ridiculous. If we are to allow flavor to damage the integrity of the competitive game, at least make the training aspect of the game skill based and interesting rather than a time sink dependent on knowledge gleaned from outside the game proper.

Madao

the only simplification i would approve is the removal of IVs. those things are just plain annoying.

removing any of the other mechanics would be dumbing down the game. hopefully they just remove redundant abilities and moves.

making HMs erasable is another thing that is pending.

Ok so I got a concept guess for a 7th gen pokemon:

First it is a hamburguer, kay?
Then it becomes 2 hamburguers!
Then it becomes THREE hamburguers with a dope face and a fry sticking out!!

ash_ag

They should increase them, IMO, but make them more intuitive. It's important to interact with Pokémon in the overworld, and if anything, you should be able to do much more than Cut trees, Surf on water, Dive the ocean and so on. Perhaps Field Moves could be separated from actual moves, but I think that they should just make every single HM competitively usable. And probably make it so that you don't have to reach the game's second half to meet the Move Deleter.

emb

As an extra, he stated in the same magazine that his favorite Pokémon of all times, even now as of the Pokémon XY series, is still Gengar as in the past.
Great artist, and a great opinion. This guy.

What I actually think they should do, is take every move that can be used out on the field and reclass it as an HM, and simply make it so that these moves can be forgotten without the use of a Move Deleter. At this point the only difference between TMs and HMs is that one can be forgotten easily and the other can't. At least by reclassing all of the field moves as HMs it would be easier to locate in your bag.

Gengar being Sugimori's favourite Pokemon makes the Red and Blue version's intro make so much sense now. I always thought it was weird Gengar was fighting Nidorino.

I'd really like the battles to be sped up. Like, some things can just happen in real time without having to wait for an animation or text to scroll, such as end of turn status/weather effects, moves that can hit multiple times, and sleep/confusion messages.

I'd like to see something like this too. For example critical hits or super effective moves being an icon/text bubble or something that appears on screen when a Pokémon is attacked, rather than having a line of text each time.

Gosh, I've been hoping they would do this for a while. Knowing the way that natures and IVs/EVs work kinda ruined the game for me, because if my starter or caught pokemon has a wrong nature, every time I use them I go "This pokemon is sub-optimal", along with fighting pokemon that give EVs in a stat I don't want to level up. It's ruined the new games for me.

RBY is my favs cause there's no natures, no shinies, no breeding, and EVs are independent for every stat, so even knowing how those things work doesn't ruin anything for me. I don't expect them to remove much of these things, though, because I think other people enjoy them more than me. I wish levelups and stuff were completely random, though.

Also, I love the designs of the original pokemon the most. I think those are all designed with being "Pocket Monsters" in mind, along with a thematic consistency in the way though "Okay, in this environment (forest/cave/field/lake/graveyard), what types of pokemon would you encounter?"

Love those old GB designs.

kirblar

Complexity Creep is something you do want to keep under control. When players (at the basic intro level) have to start juggling/learn too many subsystems, it causes problem. People just want to battle/explore. X/Y succeeded incredibly well in clearing away a ton of BS that had either been grandfathered in or accumulated over the years.

traveler

Not Wario
No one uses HM moves in battle right? If they serve no purpose as an attack move, they need to be reclassed as field only abilities that don't take up one of the four slots or rebalanced such that they're viable options. There's no point in making them wastes of a slot for the adventure game when you could make them real decision points or non-factors on your battle plan.

JohnDoe

Banned
I really hope simplicity especially applies to the pokemon designs.
The color and space limitations of the gameboy/gameboy color inspired some slick pokemon design.

Sandfox

No one uses HM moves in battle right? If they serve no purpose as an attack move, they need to be reclassed as field only abilities that don't take up one of the four slots or rebalanced such that they're viable options. There's no point in making them wastes of a slot for the adventure game when you could make them real decision points or non-factors on your battle plan.

Surf and Waterfall see use.

IVs and HMs are the biggest problems with X and Y. HMs could easily be streamlined by turning them into items or something, or even just making them deletable using normal methods.

IVs need to receive the same kind of streamlining EVs got. Having to play beat the random number generator to get a competitive Pokemon is just stupid.

Demon Ice

Banned
I would like to see less moves that are just different elemental versions of the same thing (Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant, Hydro Cannon, Hyper Beam, for example) and more unique elemental specific moves.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I hope simplicity also applies to the pokemon designs.
The color and space limitations of the gameboy/gameboy color inspired some slick pokemon design.
Agreed. A lot of the best designs even today are ones with simple and fitting colour schemes. I find all of my favourite Pokemon are pretty reserved in that regard and carry some iconicity with them.

Zalman

I hope IVs are removed.
Won't happen. They most likely want to keep using the Pokémon Bank service, whic means they can't just make such a big change to the mechanics. They might make it easier to control EVs and IVs, but they most likely won't remove them.

I agree with you guys regarding the HMs though. They should stay, but we should be able to delete them at any time just like regular TMs.

I really hope simplicity especially applies to the pokemon designs.
I think that's what Sugimori was implying in the last two lines.

ash_ag

What I actually think they should do, is take every move that can be used out on the field and reclass it as an HM, and simply make it so that these moves can be forgotten without the use of a Move Deleter. At this point the only different between TMs and HMs is that one can be forgotten easily and the other can't. At least by reclassing all of the field moves as HMs it would be easier to locate in your bag.

Yes, this sounds perfect -- more field moves with less commitments. The reason HMs can be forgotten is so that player doesn't find themselves in a game-breaking situation, like removing Surf while on a small island or removing Cut after the tree has reappeared (which happens in instances where, for example, you enter a small cave that is only accessible by cutting a tree and then exiting it). But it shouldn't be too hard to make situation-based calls of whether or not an HM can be removed.

Simplest possible way: you can only delete them on a Pokémon Center.

ZeroCDR

his favorite Pokémon of all times, even now as of the Pokémon XY series, is still Gengar as in the past.

4m5d.jpg

My desk buddy. Hell yeah.

kirblar

It's a good sign when IVs/HMs are the biggest "problems" with a Pokemon generation. (I'm not sure the HM thing is actually one aside from the "needs a move deleter" part needing to be updated.)
Simplest possible way: you can only delete them on a Pokémon Center.
This would be perfect.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What they need to remove: IV, HM, items to hold while trade
What they will remove instead: creative locations and evolutions, formes and extravagant double types

Surf, Waterfall, Strength and Fly are alright.

Sandfox

What they need to remove: IV, HM, items to hold while trade
What they will remove instead: creative locations and evolutions, formes and extravagant double types

I think IVs are ok as long as they continue to make it easier and I don't see what's wrong with the item thing.

Cess007

Yes, please. One of the many things i miss from the first gens is their simplicity; there was a lot of strategy but it wasn't as nonsensically complex as now.

I would seriously be okay with every new gen only introducing new starters and legendaries, with more focus on the other aspects of the game.

Top Bottom