• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Sugimori talks Pokémon Gen 7: Reverting back to simplicity

tensuke

4 moves, with 1 extra slot for HMs. That way you don't have to waste a move on them. And you can replace the HM with another at any time (but only 1 poke can use any 1 HM at a time).
Up the difficulty. Don't give out megastones, pokemon, exp items, pokeballs, potions, etc. willy nilly. Bring back out-of-battle poison effect. Make trainers/gyms less forgiving.
Lower the cute-factor. You don't have to go full Digimon, but at least, remember they are pocket monsters.
Stop with the "rivals". We don't need a gang of friends following us around in our journey. Make just one rival that makes you aspire to beat him by being hard as hell to beat (scale his pokemon levels/team with yours when you battle) and make him kind of a dick, because we need that animosity.
In fact, scale all levels/battles. Have minimum levels be what they would regularly be, but if you're like 20 levels higher than a gym leader (on average, across the board), make him choose a harder set of Pokemon instead of the same ones that you'll stomp out in 1 hit each.
Add in some end-game content. Hell, put in a second region and remove level caps. Go to the second E4 with level 178 pokemon and still have a challenge. Or have "player regions" where players can design and run their own gyms/trainers/teams, and you can battle through player-made Leagues.
Bring back secret bases. Just, this.
Forget running shoes/skates/whatever. Just increase the damn walkspeed. Keep faster modes of transportation like bikes. In fact increase the entire game's speed. It's far to slow to do anything.
Stop making bad stories.

ash_ag

Would these simplifications lead to another "gap" in the trading up of poke's into gen 7?

Even if the mechanics change completely, nothing says they can't pass Pokémon through a theoretical Gen 7 filter to make them compatible. Transferability of Pokémon has little to do with mechanics compatibility at this point -- it's a policy thing.

As an extra, he stated in the same magazine that his favorite Pokémon of all times, even now as of the Pokémon XY series, is still Gengar as in the past.

EucIfYY.gif

Acrylic7

I hope they make the game harder. I'm tired of just running through the game like a God. Why cant I get a challenge now and again. Its gotten to the point where Gym battles are easier to defeat because they use the same type Pokemon and all I have to do is spam 1 move to win :/

I'm glad he loves the simplistic designs as well. My favorite is Muk and Poliwrath.
FEH-13_Muk.jpg
H-13_Poliwrath.jpg

And please, please add an extra move slot for Pokemon.
also get rid of HM's. Insanely annoying.

I really wish the game had a "Tournament" difficulty level, where the only change was that every Gym Leader, E4 member, and major fight was scaled to a flat 50.

FSLink

Banned
Edit: Would also love it if they stopped adding useless TMs. It's a pain to scroll through. Trimming down on moves that are redundant to others would be great. I wouldn't mind if they stopped adding more Pokemon, since at this point I can't remember half of them.

I think the majority of TMs nowadays are really good, it's not like the Gen 5 and 6 gym leaders give you Bide or something.

Another good solution for some of the HMs would be to have field Pokemon like HG/SS, like in a cave if you have the right badge, certain Pokemon can show up on the field to be able to push boulders, so basically a mix of the Gen 6 Mamoswine, Gogoat, etc but with your own obtained Pokemon. Then make the good HMs like Surf, Waterfall TMs. Then for Fly they could just have almost any flying type be able to transport you from the menu without an HM.

Meia

As others said, no HMs, but make them baseline with the Pokemon type. Doing this means you can also have more "barricades" in the world. Think of it working like Zelda does things kind of. You have a gap to cross, good thing you have a grass type pokemon that can put down a vine so you can cross. Oh you don't? Well a flying type can take you over that small gap as well. Maybe a psychic could just kind of float you over if not.

No reason a basic grass type doesn't have cut, a big pokemon doesn't have Strength, a FLYING pokemon doesn't have FLY, a water pokemon doesn't have surf, etc etc etc.

Another problem I have is all of the moves that lower stats. I haven't played much of this series, but do these moves serve much of a point if pokemon usually faint within 3 turns anyway? You can pretty much remove a pokemon by making it faint in that same time frame. Or is this something that's mainly for player vs player, and thus I've never seen a point to it?

A little Lttp on this but didn't want to make a new thread just to chime in.

I would love to see another Gen on 3DS so this is great to hear, also I think there's lots of simplifying that can be done to help. I just hope they don't screw with the current battle system too much and more the items and moves.

Also I would love to see more new pokemon, but I suppose we don;t need tons. maybe some fresh new ones and maybe try and focus on Megas and pre/2nd/3rd stage eves for pokemon who really deserve them.

I know we can all think of some pokemon who it seems is crazy to not have any pre/2nd evolutions.

I for one am still bothered by kangaskhan, farfetched, pin sir, girafirig ect. I'd love to get maybe new starters, legends and 30 or so fresh pokemon and use the rest of the time fleshing out some of those older pokemon more than anything else.

Speaking of Gen 7, what Zodiac will we get for the fire starter? Tiger, Goat, Snake, Rabbit, Ox or Horse.

I would love to see a tiger. Ox and Rabbit seem like they would be a fire/fighting type so I'd rather not see those.

MarkusRJR

Oh man this was just the news I wanted to hear. I love the simplicity of the older games and Pokemon. Add that with the more streamlined interface and special/physical split and I'm on board.

Morokh

HM's can go, I don't really care, but I kind of like when they are not used in the progression of the game, but to discover hidden paths and areas in the post-game content.

Don't see the problem some people have with IV's seeing how awfully simple it is to breed a 5IV pokemon this gen (although the running around to make them hatch is kind of stupid), on things like this I think it's not really a matter of simplifying things but make them clearer and easier to grasp and check in-game for the player.

Clean up the moves list could be a good thing as many attacks are useless, or don't scale well, but while they are at it they really should do a good re-balance of many creatures, be it regarding stats, moovepool, or abilities cause there are good mons that aren't used simply because they did not change since several generations.

Yet, with Pokemon Bank that might be quite difficult to do.

Still they have to be careful, complexity is also what keeps people interested for so long, and what still allows them to retain some of their older audience, and with their bad habit of cutting features from one gen to another, one can be a tiny bit concerned.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Reading Pokemon threads in GAF is an eyesore.

Anyway, seems like people are misinterpreting a lot of stuff he says. Simplication is already seen in XY - the breeding mechanic for instance, as well as EV training. It's got nothing to do with designs (which seriously - make up your mind, are new mons overdesigned or bland and underdesigned?!)

Also fuck that magneton comparison. Barbaracle proves you can be creative with that aspect.

Castcoder

Banned
- Map moves to YBAX
- Make L open items in battle
- Make R open Pokemon in battle
- Tap button on bottom screen to run away

KAL2006

Banned
I just want them to remove the inexcusable wall in front of the competitive metagame, given that the competitive metagame is the best, most deep part of the game. (maybe even only worthwhile? single player is a cake walk with no real point other than to get a team for the competitive game) Get rid of IVs entirely- Lvl 5 Pikachus will always have the same stats- get rid of EVs, and let me allocate a set number of stats capped as appropriate that would the same effect as training with EVs to allow for customization. Can you imagine having to grind to play Starcraft, Dota, or Chess competitively? It's ridiculous. If we are to allow flavor to damage the integrity of the competitive game, at least make the training aspect of the game skill based and interesting rather than a time sink dependent on knowledge gleaned from outside the game proper.

This is all I want

Boss Doggie

Also I agree in Haunter >>> Gengar. Haunter just feels better since it evokes its ghostly aspect more. That's why I like Mega Gengar, it's "returning" to the Haunter design.

Also while I understand the want to remove IVs (even though they're easier to see in Gen VI), wanting EVs to be removed is stupid as hell. Gaining EVs is piss easy in Gen VI, from either super training or horde battling. It feels like people didn't play or go deep in XY.

I just want them to remove the inexcusable wall in front of the competitive metagame, given that the competitive metagame is the best, most deep part of the game. (maybe even only worthwhile? single player is a cake walk with no real point other than to get a team for the competitive game) Get rid of IVs entirely- Lvl 5 Pikachus will always have the same stats- get rid of EVs, and let me allocate a set number of stats capped as appropriate that would the same effect as training with EVs to allow for customization. Can you imagine having to grind to play Starcraft, Dota, or Chess competitively? It's ridiculous. If we are to allow flavor to damage the integrity of the competitive game, at least make the training aspect of the game skill based and interesting rather than a time sink dependent on knowledge gleaned from outside the game proper.

Spoken like someone who hasn't touched XY.

IVs are dumb, but are now easy. You are guaranteed at least 3 perfect IVs from wild baby Pokemon and 2 perfect IVs from Friend Saari Pokemon. Destiny Knot now transfers 5 IVs from both parents in breeding.

EVs are hilariously easy to raise. You either Super Train (which is a nice distraction and very easy to maximize), or you do horde battles (which always ensures 20 EV points if you equip a mon with the Power item). Calling them grinding is an insult to actual, difficult grinding.

Boss Doggie

Also vitamins are a lot cheaper via O-Powers too.

Hold a face button down for two seconds, release to go back. You can move a lot of info and buttons to the bottom screen, too.

But then in order to view the info you have to select them. You're cramming too much text into a single screen. And then there's removing the touch-only interface. Hell, you're already interfering with the L=A function.

The touchscreen interface is already fine and is used more (especially with the "played with one hand" crowd).

As far as designs go, I should be able to tell what somethings type is just by looking at it. A lot of the earlier designs are very readable, with the last couple of gens I've gotta keep a wiki open.

I have nothing but respect for someone who makes like 90% of the wonderful Pokemon designs, but this is an odd statement to make. Outside of getting rid of IVs (which should have happened generations ago), the Pokemon formula really doesn't need any further simplification. If anything, simplification was one of the things that hurt XY in comparison to BW/2 - the plot was extremely barebones and the overall aesthetic (especially musically) obviously didn't have as much effort put into it, for example.

The thing about Pokemon is no matter how many Pokemon, moves, abilities, etc it adds it will always feel simple and approachable because of the sheer brilliance of its core mechanics.

Mr-Joker

Banned
HM aren't going anywhere so you better get use to them, beside since gen 5 you can easily progress through the game without HM or lowering the limit.

-Black and White you just needed cut, which was early in the game.
-Black and White 2 you just needed Strength to get into Victory road after that you didn't need it.
-X and Y you just needed surf and Strength and the games gives a perfect Pokémon capable of learning both moves.

What you really needed HM for was accessing the TM or exploring the new areas.

Please make it nothing like X&Y.

Why?

Spoken like someone who hasn't touched XY.

IVs are dumb, but are now easy. You are guaranteed at least 3 perfect IVs from wild baby Pokemon and 2 perfect IVs from Friend Saari Pokemon. Destiny Knot now transfers 5 IVs from both parents in breeding.

IVs are anything but easy. Just because they are easier than they used to be doesn't stop them from being a pointless grind. I've spent 4 hours trying to breed ONE pokemon with a hidden ability and perfect IVs and I'm still not done. Stuff like parents not being compatible, male-female ratio, and a complete reliance on luck are still obstacles.

Boss Doggie

The only thing they need to change is to remove the distinction of HM. Back then they were like TM only infinite use and unable to be deleted, and since Gen V TMs are infinite use anyways so might as well turn HMs into TMs. It's not like TMs can't be used on the field.

Please make it nothing like X&Y.

wat

Regiruler

Tajiri's favourite is known to be Poliwhirl. Masuda usually goes by Pichu, although he mentioned Victini during the BW interviews. Mew is for Morimoto, noteable programmer and battle director. Ishihara likes Exeggutor the best, because he used him during the debugging progress of RG!
But it's weak to bug

I don't think the game needs to be less complex. I just think it needs to communicate its complexity better. In order to truly understand and harness mechanics like EV's and IV's, one is more or less forced to consult sources outside of the game itself. Here's what I propose:

1. Have a library somewhere in the game (maybe on the PC) containing information on exactly how IV's and EV's work, among other things. It would include information such as how IV's and EV's affect stats, how IV's are inherited during breeding, what items can be used to minimize the RNG in breeding, and how natures and abilities are inherited. It would also include information on different ways EV's can be obtained, and what the various caps are.

2. Have the Pokédex list the EV value of Pokémon you have captured.

3. Show graphs with actual numbers of IV and EV spreads on the Pokémon stat cards.

I played some of Pokemon Showdown, and this generation is just mind-blowingly complex. There are so many goddamn abilities, moves to counter those abilities, typings to take into account, and other insanity that I almost wanted to just stop playing until the metagame is less of a mess.

Jawmuncher

Please get rid of HMs. Having to get rid of a move I like because I have to have an HM or I can't progress in the game is just dumb.

Agreed. Playing Y I felt that was something that needs to go next game.
It was more a annoyance than anything else

Also whoever made the key chain pokemon needs to get more creative

Anteo

I just want to jump to say that:

1. I dont want IVs to go away. At the very least, IV for speed should stay, as it is useful to aim for the lowest speed or the highest speed depending of your strat. Also they could add moves that are more effective the weaker your mon is, giving more use to low IVs on others stats.
2. EV is so easy to use on X and Y that I dont see why would anyone bother changing it now.

Please get rid of HMs. Having to get rid of a move I like because I have to have an HM or I can't progress in the game is just dumb.

Agreed. They should make it so to surf you need the 4th badge and any water pokemon for example. No need to teach them the HM. That way they can buff Cut to make it useful as a move and at the same time not break the early-mid game

The Lamp

Yes, please. One of the many things i miss from the first gens is their simplicity; there was a lot of strategy but it wasn't as nonsensically complex as now.

The strategy now is hardly nonsensical.

I played some of Pokemon Showdown, and this generation is just mind-blowingly complex. There are so many goddamn abilities, moves to counter those abilities, typings to take into account, and other insanity that I almost wanted to just stop playing until the metagame is less of a mess.

Then don't play the metagame.
The main campaign is there for you if you like brainless easiness.

Mr. Robot

Just get rid of IVs, they are stupid, have always been, and it's an unnecesary grind that prevents people from battling competitively... Natures and EVs are coolbeans though, and get rid of HMs too or just let us delete them like any other move.

Fireblend

Banned
Pokemon noob question: What are HMs and IVs?

HMs are moves you can teach to some Pokemon that act on the game's overworld (for example, if a pokemon knows Fly, you can use it to fly to other cities. If it know Surf, you can use it to traverse areas with water, if it know Cut, you can cut down various trees and open up new areas, etc). The problem is that these can't be removed from a Pokemon's moveset once learned unless you go through some hoops, and they're usually not very useful in battle. People want to be able to unlearn them as easily as any other move.

IVs are six random values that are permanently given to every pokemon every time you encounter one and affect each of the Pokemon's stats, so that they're unique. It sucks because competitively these can make or break a battle instead of your strategy and skill, and it sucks having to spend a lot of time to find/breed "perfect pokemon" where the six random values are high.

Top Bottom