• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Sugimori talks Pokémon Gen 7: Reverting back to simplicity

Mr. Robot

As far as designs go, I should be able to tell what somethings type is just by looking at it. A lot of the earlier designs are very readable, with the last couple of gens I've gotta keep a wiki open.

I wish i could say the same but...
200px-Gyarados.png

How is this thing a flying type and not a freaking dragon?

The strategy now is hardly nonsensical.

They don't play the metagame.
The main campaign is there for you if you like brainless easiness.

I'm talking about the Gen 6 metagame. I played Gen 5. This isn't my first time playing a metagame. But the continuous introduction of new abilities (Greninja changing type every turn, Talonflame having priority Brave Bird), the increasing ease of inducing status (Prankster Fairy/ Steel Klefki), changing weather without a switch-in (Charizard Y), and Carbink's exploding popularity on GAF (Stealth Rock and Light Screen), it's getting absolutely insane to maintain a team that can fight against these strategies in addition to having type coverage.

Toxi

Banned
Gen 4 had a lot more stripes and swirls than Gen 5 did. I've seen people complain that Druddigon looks like a children's drawing because it's design is so simple. Gen 6 has more of a high-detail approach again.

And no gen has come close to the simplicity of Gen 1's designs, nor its huge use of tan/brown for color.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Agreed. Playing Y I felt that was something that needs to go next game.
It was more a annoyance than anything else

Also whoever made the key chain pokemon needs to get more creative

It's a key ring, and it's a fairy.

It's a very creative design when lore is taken into account, which something should be noted since Gen 3. As I said before - Pokemon since Gen 3 tend to have lore as part of its design unlike before.

I'm always amazed by how much more "tribal" the designs became with every generation, just makes you wonder what new pokemon would look like in Gen I:

That's a terrible fan representation.

Garchomp works now and that one is dull. Charizard wouldn't look like that because there's no such thing as a "modern" design.

This depicts perfectly what I couldn't quite put into words for the last 3 generations.

And yet you have simple designs in later gens too.

I dislike this bullshit. The only time there's a "distinct" difference was in in Gen 1 because they were still finding their ground. Gen 2 already has signs of distinct details like seen in Lugia or the mythical beasts.

Top Bottom