• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Sugimori talks Pokémon Gen 7: Reverting back to simplicity

Make IV's less shit, and make it so HM moves can be overwritten. Because IV's are by far the most tedious, obtuse part of the game. And don't say BUT DESTINY KNOT AND SAFARI, because it's still luck and multiple hours of breeding for one Pokemon.

For HMs, how about you are able to use the HM after beating the correct gym leader, and then when you want to use the skill, if you have a pokemon that is able to learn it, you can use it.

EDIT: so you don't have to teach the HM to a pokemon, it's like a skill that the trainer can use, if he/she has a pokemon who is able to use it (i.e. any flying pokemon can use fly, after the trainer beats the gym leader that allows one to use fly).

Make HMs automatic. If you have a flying Pokemon you can use Fly, same thing for the other HMs.

Surf, Waterfall, Fly and Strength are pretty good though. Unless you mean making them separate instead of getting rid of the actual moves. Cut can go though. It should have lost its HM status after Gen I.

Nerokis

No one uses HM moves in battle right? If they serve no purpose as an attack move, they need to be reclassed as field only abilities that don't take up one of the four slots or rebalanced such that they're viable options. There's no point in making them wastes of a slot for the adventure game when you could make them real decision points or non-factors on your battle plan.

I'm sure a lot of casual players use moves like Fly and Strength in battle, and Surf actually isn't a bad attack at all. On the flipside, there are also TMs like Dig that serve a field purpose.

I do think it'd be cool, though, to have a set of field moves in addition to battle moves. That may complicate things, in a way, but it'd also remove the need for an HM slave. Field moves in general will probably never be great for an actual build, but at the same time, it makes no sense that you typically only interact with Pokemon you don't actually care for on this level. This would solve that. And I think it'd be totally logical for, say, a Diglet to be capable of digging a path out of a tunnel, but not be particularly good at using that ability offensively (at least, it'd be logical enough to have separate field and battle abilities, to the extent in-game logic should play a role in such things).

I don't mind them trimming/removing useless features, but it kind of irks me that when they introduce something nice in one generation, they are going to remove it in the next generation. Wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't Super Training in Gen 8. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if they got rid of HMs, though.

Espada

Hmm, it seems like they're well aware of how big the game is getting. There's lots of redundant or otherwise worthless moves/abilities lingering in the game. Lots of design decisions that are just pure tedium. Simplifying all that down while retaining gameplay depth would be great.

One thing that makes me wary is the notion that they're going to start redesigning/tweaking existing designs in an effort to make them simpler. I know far too many pokemon whose designs would be ruined if this happened to them.

If all we got in new regions from now on were:

New Starters
New Legendaries
New Evolutions to older pokemon

I wouldn't mind at all. Support the existing pokemon, many of whom sorely need BST updates, evolutions, and move and ability revisions.

I think HM's are fine, just not the way they are handled. Shouldn't have to get rid of things to progress. Like with Zelda you don't have to get rid of your Bow in order to use the Boomerang to solve a puzzle.

Maybe just have some type of item that you carry, it adds HMs to it as you go along. Call it Pokeroids. When you need to fly, cut, or w/e, it randomly selects a Pokemon and empowers it with the ability to win bicycle races and hit home runs.

Neiteio

Please get rid of HMs. Having to get rid of a move I like because I have to have an HM or I can't progress in the game is just dumb.
Streamlining HMs so that their overworld functions exist in a separate menu without taking up one of your four in-battle moves would be "simplification" I can get behind (although you should still be able to use Surf, etc, as actual battle moves, if you wish).

I don't want them to do anything that makes the meta-game less complex, though. I'd prefer they focus on:

1) Making the meta-game more accessible, whether it's transparency in IVs/EVs, greatly speeding up the breeding process, changing abilities and natures, etc

and

2) Make weak, one-off Pokemon competitively viable, something they did with Mega Evolutions for some Pokemon this gen, but there are still so many Pokemon who are useless competitively and could use an evolution of some sort, or perhaps stat buffs, new abilities and moves that really set them apart.

meh, there are probably some other things i would cut, primarily stuff centered around the main story, before cutting some of the more technical aspects of the gameplay

but still, i'd be curious to see where a little streamlining would go. so i'll just say i'm intrigued.

Neiteio

It's really neat hearing Sugimori's favorite Pokemon is Gengar. Do we know the favorite Pokemon, past and present, of other key Pokemon figures (I.E. Masuda, etc)?

Also, can't help but wonder if Sugimori's favoritism played a role in how incredible Mega Gengar turned out.

Akai__

Please get rid of HMs. Having to get rid of a move I like because I have to have an HM or I can't progress in the game is just dumb.

There should be a 5th attack slot for HM's at least. I don't like them either, but getting rid of them is not the best solution, in my opinion.

Yes, this sounds perfect -- more field moves with less commitments. The reason HMs can be forgotten is so that player doesn't find themselves in a game-breaking situation, like removing Surf while on a small island or removing Cut after the tree has reappeared (which happens in instances where, for example, you enter a small cave that is only accessible by cutting a tree and then exiting it). But it shouldn't be too hard to make situation-based calls of whether or not an HM can be removed.

Simplest possible way: you can only delete them on a Pokémon Center.

Well, the reason why HMs could not be forgotten in the first place was also because there was a limit to how many items you could hold in the original games. Therefore, if you did not bring the HM for Surf, and you were able to forget the move, you could wind up potentially stuck like you mentioned. But in this day and age, the bag can carry everything, so there is no way for you to not have all of the HMs on hand.

But I agree, if they insist on sticking with tradition, they might as well make the Move Deleter more accessible. It doesn't even make much sense why that hasn't already been the case.

Neiteio

There should be a 5th attack slot for HM's at least. I don't like them either, but getting rid of them is not the best solution, in my opinion.
There should just be a separate moveset for HM moves. If you want to teach a Pokemon the move Surf for battle purposes, you apply the HM to their battle moveset; if you want to teach a Pokemon Surf to get around the ocean, you apply the HM to their HM moveset. That way you don't have to take up any of your four in-battle moves, but you can still have four (or more) HM techniques handy for exploring the overworld.

Neiteio

I want them to integrate IV checks into your PC, and I want it to work as soon as you get an egg, no hatching necessary. Just pop the egg in your PC, highlight it, and it'll say right on its stats page the IVs of the Pokemon.

Also, include a feature for eggs to be auto-deposited in a special PC box as they appear in the Day Care Center. Make it so you can sort by the type of egg, too.

Maybe even make it so you can set the type of egg you're looking for -- I.E. "outstanding only," with "high potential" in "HP, Attack, Defense," etc -- and everything not matching that criteria is released to the wild.

Forget making HMs deletable, how about decoupling field abilities from moves altogether? Like Bidoof would have a page indicating it can:
Push large boulders
Destroy breakable rocks
Swim through calm waters
Cut down certain plants
Headbutt small trees

And have those abilities unlock as you receive certain badges.

Neiteio

Forget making HMs deletable, how about decoupling field abilities from moves altogether? Like Bidoof would have a page indicating it can:
Push large boulders
Destroy breakable rocks
Swim through calm waters
Cut down certain plants
Headbutt small trees

And have those abilities unlock as you receive certain badges.
I'd support this idea IF nearly every Pokemon can do nearly everything. Otherwise, you'll still have to waste a party slot carrying an extra Pokemon who has those qualities.

I think it's better just to make nearly every Pokemon compatible with nearly every move (I.E. more mammals can Surf), and if the moves were kept in a second moveset, separate from the battle moveset, for overworld exploration purposes.

zroid

Banned
some of the stuff he mentioned is honestly pretty concerning to me

I want certain things to be less annoying (obviously like HMs), but not less complex

Fat Goron

I liked the way they introduced Super Training in order to have a better way to raise your EVs, so that should be kept.... But IVs??? The have always been dumb and I wouldn't miss if they get rid of them.

P90

HMs should be a trainer's ability that coincides with gym badges, much like how you need to have certain gym badges for higher level Pokemon take your orders.

When you catch/hatch/receive/etc. a Pokemon you should know its IVs, ability, nature and characteristic. That way you will know whether you want to keep the 'mon or set it free. I am not sure I would like IVs to go away. I like to breed Pokemon.

Fat Goron

I'd support this idea IF nearly every Pokemon can do nearly everything. Otherwise, you'll still have to waste a party slot carrying an extra Pokemon who has those qualities.

I think it's better just to make nearly every Pokemon compatible with nearly every move (I.E. more mammals can Surf), and if the moves were kept in a second moveset, separate from the battle moveset, for overworld exploration purposes.

They should really just give you a boat.

ash_ag

It's really neat hearing Sugimori's favorite Pokemon is Gengar. Do we know the favorite Pokemon, past and present, of other key Pokemon figures (I.E. Masuda, etc)?

Also, can't help but wonder if Sugimori's favoritism played a role in how incredible Mega Gengar turned out.

Tajiri's favourite is known to be Poliwhirl. Masuda usually goes by Pichu, although he mentioned Victini during the BW interviews. Mew is for Morimoto, noteable programmer and battle director. Ishihara likes Exeggutor the best, because he used him during the debugging progress of RG!

I'll never, ever understand the call for introducing fewer and fewer new Pokemon. I don't want to keep playing with the same damn monsters for the life of the series.

Black and White, I feel, succeeded perfectly in capturing the "back to basics" feeling that Sugimori talks about, and it's almost entirely due to the absence of any old Pokemon until post-game.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Gen VII? Thats still a long ways off since we're only on Gen IV! Maybe by then they'll make it so ya can Fly anywhere instead of just towns. Even if its right next to the gate to/from town there oughta be designated landing spots in each Route. Caves and other places to. Just let ya land right outside their entrance.

Please lose Megas and never speak of them again.
Seconded. It seems like a really cruel and unnatural thing ta begin with. Nor is it evolution since they go right back to normal after battle!

Remember guys that Sugimori is an art director. he has no say over the mechanics of the game, so what he says here doesn't necessarily mean anything concrete for the next game. It depends on if his opinion is shared by the design team or the director.

Gen VII? Thats still a long ways off since we're only on Gen IV! Maybe by then they'll make it so ya can Fly anywhere instead of just towns. Even if its right next to the gate to/from town there oughta be designated landing spots in each Route. Caves and other places to. Just let ya land right outside their entrance.

Seconded. It seems like a really cruel and unnatural thing ta begin with. Nor is it evolution since they go right back to normal after battle!

Which generations do you hate enough that you're avoiding counting?

Azure J

I support this as far as things like changing/reworking/making IV systems more transparent (which at the time of me writing this is the only thing I can think of that's still convoluted)

EDIT: Forgot HMs, yeah they can be tweaked too.

I swear to fucking God, if they extend this to Pokemon distribution and they Hoenn me one more time I'm out.

"Hey want that totally awesome Pokemon you definitely grew fond of over X number of gens? Too bad, here's some trumpets and water though!"

I also hope they aren't going to start decreasing the number of new designs. I've really been fond of Gen 5 & 6 and their contributions to the variety of Pokemon about.

I'll never, ever understand the call for introducing fewer and fewer new Pokemon. I don't want to keep playing with the same damn monsters for the life of the series.

Black and White, I feel, succeeded perfectly in capturing the "back to basics" feeling that Sugimori talks about, and it's almost entirely due to the absence of any old Pokemon until post-game.

*Tips hat*

Gen 5 as a whole is really the gold standard for the series (outside of its competitive meta) and I say this as someone who adores Gen 6.

Edit 2: People in here saying "lose Megas" are salty they get their poorly constructed teams steamrolled by them. Git gud scrub.

*Sprays shots*

ash_ag

I just noticed that Game Freak has completely reinnovated their website. Pretty neat.

mfq0Idi.png

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Tajiri's favourite is known to be Poliwhirl. Masuda usually goes by Pichu, although he mentioned Victini during the BW interviews. Mew is for Morimoto, noteable programmer and battle director. Ishihara likes Exeggutor the best, because he used him during the debugging progress of RG!

Ew.

Nilaul

What if HM where more like items; they can be used without learning as long as their is a compatible Pokemon in your team. However if one wishes they can learn the HM to the Pokemon for use in (it would take up a slot in this case).

For example:

1) When you press L on the 3DS, a HM menu would appear (like the item menu in Skyward Sword).

2) You would select HM surf (for example) and press X.

3) From now on the HM will be assigned to your X bottom. That HM would be used automatically without any annoying message or pointless animation as long as you have an compatible Pokemon. (You would also be able to assign an HM to the Y bottom)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
, but some fans have claimed that it might be better to significantly organize/trim the moves, abilities, items, etc.

No fucking thanks, maybe get rid of some of the useless stuff but overall a lot of the moves are used, and timing abilities and items would be dumb as hell too

From a practical standpoint, on a long enough timeline it becomes impossible for each successive game to include all the monsters, moves, items, and diversions from past games, and really that problem is only going to be exacerbated by the advent of 3D models. I'd give another gen or two before GF has to start trimming the fat - at some point we're going to reach critical mass and someone's going to be very distraught at not being able to obtain their favorite Pokemon. It's probably a necessary evil.

I'm not part of the genwunner crowd, but I can see the appeal of reverting back to the more simplistic designs of Gen I and II. Also some abilities have frankly become either obsolete or totally redundant. Water Gun and Bubble are essentially the same move in XY. I can't think of any reason why we need both Protect and Detect, especially when they're tied to the same counter. I can't think of any reason why someone would run Hyper Beam on a Pokemon unironically.

Pokemon is a massive series with a huge legacy of content, and some of it is more relevant than others. I don't propose to know what should be cut, but it seems fairly obvious to me that GF is going to be faced with that decision some time in the future.

zeioIIDX

I was actually thinking about this on my break this morning. It occurred to me that they may simplify gen 7. I even went as far as thinking whether they may make a direct prequel to Red/Blue/Green. Not sure how keen people would be on the idea of controlling a young Proffesor Oak in his early journey, possibly even in another region (can't remember if he was born in Kanto but I imagine so).

But even with a totally new protagonist, I could see them making a direct prequel. That would be one way to limit the amount of Pokemon in the game if that's a route they decide to take (bad pun?) and it could also be cool to see and use earlier types of Pokeballs/prototypes.

While we are at it, I wonder how a "sim Pokemon" would work out lol. Get to create and manage your own region, design towns and the layouts, choose the gym leaders and the types each gym uses as well as the level range, create caves and terrain for trainers to traverse, etc, etc.

Anyway...gen 7 huh? I wouldn't mind them pulling the reigns a bit and not adding anything overly complex to it. As long as that doesn't mean they won't make improvements to things some people desire. I know I've heard people mention voice acting and full 3D for the overworld and stuff.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As far as Pokémon are concerned, Gen 6 with its small number of introductions does show that they are actively working the big number thing, and I'm curious to see if they will have something figured out for Gen 7.

I assumed that was just them trying to deal with having to create 680+ 3D models.

Kenai

I actually like IVs and EVs as they are now, for the most part.

I would like a few more ways to catch the specific nature i want in the wild after the game's conclusion, and a little more transparency in how they and Natures work in game would be fine, but there is absolutely no reason to do that during the storyline and overwhelm the target audience (and almost everyone else really) with the other stuff. I like earning my perfectly bred Pokemon (I think the amount of time needed to do so now is pretty much spot on) and I like that this type of stuff is around to shut up the "Pokemon is for babbies" know-nothings, but I don't ever want that to be a requirement for clearing and enjoying the game (which it's not).

HMs i would like to see overhauled so that I don't need a Pokeslot taken up by a user of them, but outside the necessity of Surf, the somewhat-necessity of Strength and Waterfall, and the extreme convenience of Fly, they have done a pretty good job making HMs only "needed" for optional areas. They can do much better tho.

I think X and Y simplified a lot as it is. Breeding for IVs is immensely easier, EV training is explained in game and much faster to accomplish, and you only need to use an HM like twice to get through the storyline.

Top Bottom