• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Sugimori talks Pokémon Gen 7: Reverting back to simplicity

Salsa

what is he talking about

I mean sure there's a bit more depth? but its still the same game over and over. I hardly think there's a simplicity to go back to, the game is pretty much still red and blue at its core.

im guessing maybe he means entirely new pokemon with no old ones or something?

also getting rid of HMs for fucks sake. They get so close to doing it

Azure J

I assumed that was just them trying to deal with having to create 680+ 3D models.

Pretty much. I was always under the assumption that much like the transition from gen 3 to 4, this was their first draft and a Gen 6 turbo or Gen 7 would pretty much be packed with content. (Not like XY aren't, just that GF tends to go batshit on their second/more matured attempts.)

Tablo

Sounds good to me, definitely keep it simple and just add to the rest of the game world, just make it feel like a living world that you can just go around and have fun with. Like in Leafgreen going around playing the slots or in Sapphire playing the beauty contest. I feel like the best times were doing things other than battling and story stuff, just enjoying the world. Battling is great, and postgame things like the white treehollow is cool, but I want things other than battling, secret bases and berry harvesting was amazing in Sapphire, spent a lot of time just playing that aspect of the game.

ash_ag

I assumed that was just them trying to deal with having to create 680+ 3D models.

Considering they did over 700 Pokémon already, I doubt around 30 more would really be a problem. And when you really think about it, there are indeed around 30 more -- in the form of Mega Evolutions. This was a calculated move, in my opinion; the interesting part is that Sugimori seems to admit this is indeed a sort of a problem, and that makes me think they may be working on a solution.

Personally, I'm more interested in consistency in design (visual and otherwise) and mechanical equality, or rather balance, than the number of Pokémon. And I think this is what they should base whatever solution they work on.

No, don't get rid of HMs. I remember reading this idea somewhere, but make it so that Pokemon can use these moves in some separate menu, so as to not include it in the standard moveset they would use in-battle (of course, they can have it in their standard moveset if they want). I want to be able to interact with the world using my Pokemon, but still have the four moves available.

Edit: Would also love it if they stopped adding useless TMs. It's a pain to scroll through. Trimming down on moves that are redundant to others would be great. I wouldn't mind if they stopped adding more Pokemon, since at this point I can't remember half of them.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Which generations do you hate enough that you're avoiding counting?
None of 'em! I made a handy lil info graphic which accounts for all the gens!

iD8z2xUKe1hwx.jpg
This is fact and cannot be disputed!

what is he talking about

I mean sure there's a bit more depth? but its still the same game over and over. I hardly think there's a simplicity to go back to, the game is pretty much still red and blue at its core.
Maybe he means less story and a dickish rival o.o?

Phatmac

The concept of HMs is neat but I don't want to constantly go to the move deleter in a specific city over and over again. I want Pokemon to at least respect my time.

They need to fix the mess they've made with different games having different TMs and move tutors.

So annoying when I look up a good moveset and then realise I need to get the pokemon in a gen 4 game to teach it an attack then transfer it across.

If a Pokemon can learn a HM move, they should be able to use it in the field once you have the appropriate badge, but you don't have to actually use the HM on it.

Simplify IVs. Also, simplify some evolutions like trade+item and Eeveelutions (make them all tied to a stone).

EDIT: ^Oh yeah, cross-gen movepools have gotten really ridiculous.

Portugeezer

Please get rid of HMs. Having to get rid of a move I like because I have to have an HM or I can't progress in the game is just dumb.

This, and having a HM whore useless Pokemon is also stupid.

They also need to make EXP Share spread half the XXP between every Pokemon instead of giving each Pokemon half (WTF so easy)

Also, the 3D cities are shit with their weird shitty camera angles. Can't see shit, not fun walking around.

Azure J

I was almost about to make a really snarky post but then I saw how you defined generations
(more like I saw your inclusion of the remakes)
. Well played.

I also agree. :lol

I just noticed that Game Freak has completely reinnovated their website. Pretty neat.
It's much easier to use now, but I still liked it when they had more detailed info for their game portfolios. Now there's no description of Tajiri's early puzzle games, which is annoying.

I was actually thinking about this on my break this morning. It occurred to me that they may simplify gen 7. I even went as far as thinking whether they may make a direct prequel to Red/Blue/Green. Not sure how keen people would be on the idea of controlling a young Proffesor Oak in his early journey, possibly even in another region (can't remember if he was born in Kanto but I imagine so).

Lots of ideas. The most ambitious, I think, would be setting a region in Tohoku based around the recent environmental calamity—if they can do B/W, they can definitely tackle what would happen if a Legendary caused widespread damage or if an evil team actually did succeed at whatever they set out to do. If the main-game's going to be as easy as it is in X/Y from now on, then they need to add incentive for me to play beyond breeding and getting in on the metagame.

But even with a totally new protagonist, I could see them making a direct prequel. That would be one way to limit the amount of Pokemon in the game if that's a route they decide to take (bad pun?) and it could also be cool to see and use earlier types of Pokeballs/prototypes.

This is a great idea, and sequels would be just as fitting. There's not enough world-building for the early history of the Pokémon world as we know it, so pitting Kurt and apricots against Silph would be fascinating.

While we are at it, I wonder how a "sim Pokemon" would work out lol. Get to create and manage your own region, design towns and the layouts, choose the gym leaders and the types each gym uses as well as the level range, create caves and terrain for trainers to traverse, etc, etc.

Managing a gym would be a great post-game diversion. Coupled with StreetPass, SpotPass, and general online functions, it could act as a recurrent Secret Base in future mainline games.
Most importantly, HMs have to become items and IVs either need to be ore transparent or replaced with a different way of making Pokémon unique (also: IVs give breeding more reason to be—gotta find a solution there if the former's taken out).

I love Gengar too, Sugimori—just get working on that next platformer game, please?

Lynd7

Good, the games are hard to get your head fully into all the tiny details. Making things simpler will be good, although I thought X and Y have handled a lot of things better.

Get rid of all the friend characters, make a return to the jerk rival.

18-Volt

You want less compelxicity? Then retire the old pokémon. Gen I and II. All of them. They've been around for 17 years and as of today they're really getting boring. Having goddamn Psyduck in ALL games pisses everyone off. Make a clean slate for Gen 7 jsut like Gen 5. New pokémon, some gen 6 and 5 and of course, Pikachu. Screw the rest. anyone missing them can transfer older ones via Bank.

What I actually think they should do, is take every move that can be used out on the field and reclass it as an HM, and simply make it so that these moves can be forgotten without the use of a Move Deleter. At this point the only difference between TMs and HMs is that one can be forgotten easily and the other can't. At least by reclassing all of the field moves as HMs it would be easier to locate in your bag.

This is the nuanced approach. I don't like the ludditic behavior to the concept of HMs (it's 99% whining for ease and comfort and that naturally devalues the single-player game and the restrictions that go into that, not to mention the game is a breeze for vets anyways HM slave or no).

This however, is a good one that Im still surprised hasn't happened yet; I wouldn't give a crap about HMs if they were this or powerful like Surf and Waterfall.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Guys they already fixed HMs by way of making Cut paths go to a single item that once you get it, you'll never need to go back. Same for Waterfall. Strength blocks now stay where you left 'em. Fly is always useful. Same for Surf an even then they drastically cutdown on worthwhile places to go to which require it, an its always been a good battle move anyways. Plus they made it incredibly easy to raise 6+ pokémon so none of the ones with HMs should be useless throughout the adventure. An once you've been everywhere/seen everything your prolly dumping your story team anyways. How are HMs a hassle again??

Also, simplify some evolutions like trade+item and Eeveelutions (make them all tied to a stone).
But don't ya like needing X number of friend codes, be in an area full of fog (don't use defog!), on the night of a full moon, with a special held item, minimum friendship value, AND level up at exactly 1:27 a.m. in order to evolve your Chatot??

But for reals why hasn't there been a low friendship evolutions yet? Outside of Frustration this side of the friendship spectrums been totally ignored! Give those herbal items more use!

I was almost about to make a really snarky post but then I saw how you defined generations
(more like I saw your inclusion of the remakes)
. Well played.

I also agree. :lol
The remakes are part of it! The GB/GBC games aren't compatible with future ones. Everything since Ruby/Sapphire can be carried forward still 10+ years later! Which is longer lived than the originals! R/S are true start of pokémon an the others should be left for the history books/90's!

DigitalOp

Banned

Maybe he means less story and a dickish rival o.o?

Ehhh those are majorily grouped by system gen.... And even then that would mean Gen 2 and 3 need to be combined.

Regarding to the series generations, you're still wrong. X&Y mark the beginning of Gen 6. Each gen has brought something rather substantial to the series which makes it easier to split them up.

RBY > GSC > RSE > DPPt > B/W1&2 > XY (XY2? Maybe Z?)

Remakes still fall under respective gens..

You want less compelxicity? Then retire the old pokémon. Gen I and II. All of them. They've been around for 17 years and as of today they're really getting boring. Having goddamn Psyduck in ALL games pisses everyone off. Make a clean slate for Gen 7 jsut like Gen 5. New pokémon, some gen 6 and 5 and of course, Pikachu. Screw the rest. anyone missing them can transfer older ones via Bank.

I'm inclined to agree somewhat. As the pokedex inflates , I would suggest GameFreak splitting it in half between 2 games. I think the next games should have Gen 5 and up honestly...

GF really set themselves up well by having X & Y carry a literal shitton of the current pokedex. Even starters!! This sets them up for the future if they decide to chop the roster moving forward for a soft reboot. Players will always have X&Y to go back to and collect the classics.

Akai__

There should just be a separate moveset for HM moves. If you want to teach a Pokemon the move Surf for battle purposes, you apply the HM to their battle moveset; if you want to teach a Pokemon Surf to get around the ocean, you apply the HM to their HM moveset. That way you don't have to take up any of your four in-battle moves, but you can still have four (or more) HM techniques handy for exploring the overworld.

That's a pretty good idea. Sure, if you want to use HM moves in fights, you should be able to do so.

To solve the HM annoyance, they could allow you to teach it to a Pokemon out of its movepool so that you can traverse the overworld but not use it in battles, or have the option to teach it into the movepool and have it available in and out of battles.

I only ask for having control of IVs, balancing the roster, and I'm happy

Laieon

I think getting rid of EVs/IVs and putting every type of Pokemon on an even playing field (outside of abilities) would be fantastic. Pokemon was, for me, at it's most enjoyable when everyone just cared about the rock/paper/scissors aspect of battles and not the theorycrafting kinda stuff.

Kenai

I'm inclined to agree somewhat. As the pokedex inflates , I would suggest GameFreak splitting it in half between 2 games. I think the next games should have Gen 5 and up honestly...

GF really set themselves up well by having X & Y carry a literal shitton of the current pokedex. Even starters!! This sets them up for the future if they decide to chop the roster moving forward for a soft reboot. Players will always have X&Y to go back to and collect the classics.

If by some reboot you mean fully retiring some Pokes so we never see them again, I can feel confident saying that will not happen.

There are very few positives and several huge negatives to roster cutting in Pokemon.

ash_ag

remove 4 move limit

We were discussing this with a friend. If they introduced a new stat, say Memory, this could work -- weaker moves taking up less Memory, stronger ones taking up more. So, a Pokémon could theoretically have 3 moves in cases or even 7 in other cases, depending on the combination.

This would encourage more variety of low/mid-range moves and perhaps even a less offensive metagame, which could in turn lead to less constant switches and more stage time for Pokémon of any role on competitive play.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ehhh those are majorily grouped by system gen.... And even then that would mean Gen 2 and 3 need to be combined.

Regarding to the series generations, you're still wrong. X&Y mark the beginning of Gen 6. Each gen has brought something rather substantial to the series which makes it easier to split them up.

RBY > GSC > RSE > DPPt > B/W1&2 > XY (XY2? Maybe Z?)

Remakes still fall under respective gens..
Naww its not about systems. I just consider R/B/Y/G/S/C to be their own self contained universes as they do not connect to the newer games! Anything R/S & beyond to date are connected by being able to pass down your pkmn to each successive games. R/S also started the 3 main story/boxart legendary thing which continues on to this day among other things like abilities and IVs! R/S were the reboot. Call 'em Neo Gen I or what have ya but they are the basis for all pkmn today!

Trey

Make HMs automatic. If you have a flying Pokemon you can use Fly, same thing for the other HMs.

Yep. We have these amazing, powerful beasts, but have to jam yellow CDs against their heads for them to do things outside of battling. Make overworked traversal inherent capabilities of Pokemon.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, this sounds perfect -- more field moves with less commitments. The reason HMs can be forgotten is so that player doesn't find themselves in a game-breaking situation, like removing Surf while on a small island or removing Cut after the tree has reappeared (which happens in instances where, for example, you enter a small cave that is only accessible by cutting a tree and then exiting it). But it shouldn't be too hard to make situation-based calls of whether or not an HM can be removed.

Simplest possible way: you can only delete them on a Pokémon Center.

But can't we random trade in x/y Pokemon in a party? So if I am on am island and I wonder trade something with surf, then what?

Please get rid of HMs. Having to get rid of a move I like because I have to have an HM or I can't progress in the game is just dumb.

Make them a property of a pokemon, rather than a move. Any pokemon with claws can cut in the field, any flying type can be used to fly, etc.

Tie the formerly HM moves to badges if you want to gate areas of the game.

Pudge

I would love it if HMs were just replaced by rock climbing gloves, a power bracelet, a surfboard, a pair of hedge trimmers, and a private plane. Make them items, and then have the option for you to ride your Pokemon as well, but don't require it. Surf and Fly are generally useful moves, but stuff like Strength and Cut are garbage.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
But can't we random trade in x/y Pokemon in a party? So if I am on am island and I wonder trade something with surf, then what?
Ya can't trade PKMN that currently have an HM in their moveset.

I would love it if HMs were just replaced by rock climbing gloves, a power bracelet, a surfboard, a pair of hedge trimmers, and a private plane. Make them items, and then have the option for you to ride your Pokemon as well, but don't require it. Surf and Fly are generally useful moves, but stuff like Strength and Cut are garbage.
How do ya figure? Cut only leads to optional paths an Strength is more then a good enough move to use through the story. No ones gonna be using 'em in the post-game so why are their always so many tears whenever they're brought up??

Sounds interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing what comes out of this simplicity.

Get rid of all the friend characters, make a return to the jerk rival.

If they're gonna continue to make the characters as boring as they are in X/Y, then yeah, I'm all for this. I loved Black/White's cast, though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What they need to remove: IV, HM, items to hold while trade
What they will remove instead: creative locations and evolutions, formes and extravagant double types

IVs would be a terrible thing to remove. IVs give each pokemon a unique stat distribution. Considering IVs and Natures, there are 26843545600 potential combinations for each pokemon species. You would reduce that to 25?

No, just make it easier to inherit IVs... which they've been doing. You pass down 3 IVs from parents. You can pass down a specific IV from a parent by having it hold a Power item. And you can pass down 5 out of the 12 IVs of both parents by having one parent hold a destiny knot. Nature/abilities can also be inherited.

Edit: Also, pokemon caught in the friend safari are GUARANTEED to have at least 2-3 perfect IVs

IVs would be a terrible thing to remove. IVs give each pokemon a unique stat distribution. Considering IVs and Natures, there are 26843545600 potential combinations for each pokemon species. You would reduce that to 25?

No, just make it easier to inherit IVs... which they've been doing. You pass down 3 IVs from parents. You can pass down a specific IV from a parent by having it hold a Power item. And you can pass down 5 out of the 12 IVs of both parents by having one parent hold a destiny knot. Nature/abilities can also be inherited.

Edit: Also, pokemon caught in the friend safari are GUARANTEED to have at least 2-3 perfect IVs

no, gut IVs and keep EVs/natures

Oswen

While i think X and Y made a good job on many aspects of the game i feel like it's still not enough.

I feel like IVs have to go, they are nothing but annoying and mostly rng based, people would still have to breed for hidden abilities, egg moves and nature but at least you have full control over that.
EVs can stay, they are basically stat customization and it's easy to remove and reassign them now if needed with Super Training, GF made a good move.

HMs are annoying aswell, they should just turn them in normal move for the sake of BC (which is here to stay forever now, because of pokebank), they could them make new HMs which teach field abilities to use in the overworld without the need to waste a moveslot.

As for pokemon design, X/Y added few new pokemon however i feel like they are all pretty good, unlike gen 4/5 which had many not too great ones, going back to simple yet good style may be a nice choice.
Also after all this years my favourite 'mon is still Alakazam.

DonMigs85

They probably shouldn't remove moves/abilities unless they intend to make Gen VII a clean slate like the jump from Gen 2 to 3.

Oswen

They probably shouldn't remove moves/abilities unless they intend to make Gen VII a clean slate like the jump from Gen 2 to 3.

Don't think that will ever happen again considering the whole point of Pokemon Bank is to make captured pokemon being compatible with all future games.

I like Gen II and IV's Pokemon more than I's, but I'd love to see them go back to a Gen I art style.

And Gengar is freakin' awesome. Probably my favorite Gen I design.

LaserHawk

I'd really like the battles to be sped up. Like, some things can just happen in real time without having to wait for an animation or text to scroll, such as end of turn status/weather effects, moves that can hit multiple times, and sleep/confusion messages.

THIS right here is the thing I most want, and I've wanted it for several generations. Seems like you could show a lot of things with just quick graphics instead of slowly spelling it out. Fighting a horde in the latest games only emphasizes just how slow things are.

I also agree with ditching HMs. They're just clumsy gating mechanics. They're better than "Oh, the power's out so don't go here" and "We're repairing the road ahead", but only marginally. In general, Game Freak needs to find better ways of keeping us from skipping too far ahead in the game.

I'm hoping the meager trainer customization options we were given in X/Y were a hint at far more options in the future. I'd love to see the breadth of options you get in most modern-day RPGs, especially for body types.

Top Bottom