• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: New XB1 CODGhosts patch reduces MP framerate in some cases to mid-30s

DieH@rd

Banned
Letterbox me to 2.40:1 if old:

Recent feedback indicates the new frame-rate issues appear most prominently on the Stonehaven level, with explosions and alpha-based effects appearing to cause these fluctuations. The reports are somewhat worrying, given that the Xbox One version of Ghosts previously had no notable frame-rate problems outside of the campaign mode, with online multiplayer featuring action mostly locked at 60fps with very few dips in performance. While resolution may be unimpressive at 720p, Ghosts on Xbox One mostly delivered the 60fps gameplay that defines the series.

Bearing in mind that reports on game patches tend to be based purely on perception, we decided to run some fresh multiplayer captures through our analysis tools in order to get to the bottom of the issue. We loaded up the standard Team Deathmatch mode and recaptured gameplay on some of the key maps allegedly affected by the update, while also introducing Stormfront into the mix - a stage that features regular alpha effects in the form of frequent rain.

Kicking off with a look at Stonehaven, it's immediately obvious that things are not quite right. While the game does indeed hit 60fps in this stage, frame-rates are dramatically impacted when the whole level is in view, with metrics varying between 46-60fps as we run across the landscape. As frame-rates fall below the desired 60fps target, we also see the appearance of some screen-tear, adding some judder, making drops in smoothness more noticeable.

Meanwhile, aiming down the barrel of a sniper scope can see significant drops down as far as the mid-30s - something we never encountered before in ether next-gen version of Ghosts during multiplayer. As a result of the fluctuating frame-rate we can feel a clear reduction in the responsiveness of the controls, while on a visual level the introduction of stutter impacts the smooth flow traditionally associated with Call of Duty multiplayer action.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-performance-drops-on-cod-ghosts-patch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UdI_xn3XY&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oPxomrfHUig

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Digital Foundry running out of stories? Bad patch for sure, though. I remember Bruiser complaining about this a lot. It hasn't been fixed yet?

Wow.. WTF is this shit. COD Ghost.. what the shit man. I am a huge COD fanboy and this game has killed COD for me right now. It's like when SOCOM 3 came out.. ugh. This sucks.

I'm blaming devs on this one. Oh well. TitanFall is coming. And when it works, BF4 is awesome fun.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Good going, Infinity Ward. Top notch work.

Seriously, didn't they test this garbage before letting it loose onto the servers?

Dabanton

I was tempted to get CoD for X1, but boy I'm I glad I gave both this and BF4 a miss this year.

Maybe this years editions will be a bit more under control.

antitrop

Stonehaven is a performance nightmare on all platforms, especially on PC, since launch.

I'm glad they patched it to fuck it up even more, just in case it wasn't already fucked enough for people's liking.

cameltoe

I notice the same issue on the ps4 and on the 360, frame drops every where and there seems to be more lag on both consoles after the update.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
infinity ward might be cruddy developers but the fact that they can't get a cross-gen 720p game to run smoothly still sends up warning signs about both the power and programming environment on xbone, tbh

farisr

I was tempted to get CoD for X1, but boy I'm I glad I gave both this and BF4 a miss this year.

Maybe this years editions will be a bit more under control.

I don't expect Cod to at least. This is sledgehammers first CoD game (solo) so there's bound to be some difficulties.

Treyarch one next year is probably gonna be the best CoD on current gen for a while, I trust those guys.

Holy shit! I am so glad to see Digital Foundry addressing this! I created this thread because I was seriously pissed about the new framerate troubles this latest patch introduced. I had been pulling out my hair because I'd seen so few complaints about this, but I immediately noticed shit was fucked up after that latest patch.

Those assholes at Infinity Ward have ignored several of my tweets on this topic, and have been pretending nothing is wrong.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
infinity ward might be cruddy developers but the fact that they can't get a cross-gen 720p game to run smoothly still sends up warning signs about both the power and programming environment on xbone, tbh

But it was running well before. Now it's not, so we can assume it's IW's mistake and not the XB1's power in this case at least.

antitrop

I don't expect Cod too at least. This is sledgehammers first CoD game (solo) so there's bound to be some difficulties.

Treyarch one next year is probably gonna be the best CoD on current gen for a while, I trust those guys.
Sledgehammer did more work on MW3 than anyone else, it's not fair to say this year is their first game.

Yeah I noticed this after the patch it happens on maps that ran fine previously. The framerate is terrible now. People are complaining in the forums and I have tweeted infinity ward and the joke of a community manager Tina since the update and no one will acknowledge the issue. maybe now that the gaming press is picking up on it this will be fixed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ladies and Gentlemen...

Early_Photo2.jpg

Good on Leadbetter to do this. I don't know of many people who know about this, but I'm glad they did it. Polygon will need to change their score to reflect.

FranXico

There are plenty of those warning signs elsewhere.
In the case of CoD, the game engine under-performance is due to Infinity Ward's ineptitude and very little else.

mclem

To be fair, it *did* run smoothly. Then something changed...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
There are plenty of those warning signs elsewhere.
In the case of CoD, the game engine under-performance is due to Infinity Ward's ineptitude and very little else.

still, the performance issues on PS4 are due the framerate being too high at 1080p

seems to me that at best it's a confluence of factors

nib95

Banned
Poor Gies. Be interesting to see if Polygon do update their score. The PS4 should be rated higher now. Better frame rate and better visuals (1080p vs 720p).

Top Bottom