• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: New XB1 CODGhosts patch reduces MP framerate in some cases to mid-30s

viveks86

You're defending IW? The PS4 patch sucks too apparently. This is pretty bad for a big game series like CoD.

If the patch sucks on other consoles then I guess there's no defending it. I wasn't aware of that since the article only mentioned the X1.

Do you have a link for the PS4 version? Article said it had no new issues so maybe I missed something

Yeah I'm a little confused by that comment. The article clearly says:

For the record, we also tested out the PS4 version of Call of Duty: Ghosts online and found no change to the performance level we saw at launch - not as smooth as Xbox One, but with a much higher rendering resolution.

But it also says, "not as smooth as xbox one". Guess they haven't fixed the judder issue yet.

Vernia, where is your source?

E92 M3

I'm surprised Activision isn't more careful with their golden goose. IW seem like a bunch of amateurs trying to make a triple AAA game.

Even worse, that freaking update does not download automatically even if your console is in instant-on mode. I had to start the game to receive the mesage, an update is required. It doesn't even allow you to play the campaign while downloads. Terrible.

artist

Banned
I'm no Xbone fan but let's be real here, the mismatch of horrible developers that worked on CoD: Ghosts couldn't get this game running well on any platform, even beefed up PCs. Best not to judge hardware based off shitty games made by shitty devs.
I'm no fan of IW or the dogge games and my opinion of them as devs isnt very good and even then I wouldnt go as far as calling them SHITTY DEVS.

It really is hilarious to release a patch for any system that actually worsens performance but to do it at near the same time on two different systems?

Congrats shell of IW you have further made yourselves laughing stocks among those who care. You really are technically inept or at least have worse QA than EA does with BF4

It really is hilarious to release a patch for any system that actually worsens performance but to do it at near the same time on two different systems?

Congrats shell of IW you have further made yourselves laughing stocks among those who care. You really are technically inept or at least have worse QA than EA does with BF4

yeah, I'm still trying to imagine how they had QA people playing the game with this patch and not having them speaking up within minutes saying "we've got a problem here guys".

yeah, I'm still trying to imagine how they had QA people playing the game with this patch and not having them speaking up within minutes saying "we've got a problem here guys".

Seriously you should just volunteer to test their patches for them. Would be better QA

I'm no fan of IW or the dogge games and my opinion of them as devs isnt very good and even then I wouldnt go as far as calling them SHITTY DEVS.

But they are? This ugly ass game can't even maintain 60fps on a PS4 and you basically need a Titan to keep 60 @ 1080p on a PC. If we're talking gameplay then they've made the two worst CoD titles in existence (I erased CoD3 from my brain). Simply put, they gargle my balls.

madmackem

Yeah I'm a little confused by that comment. The article clearly says:

But it also says, "not as smooth as xbox one". Guess they haven't fixed the judder issue yet.

Vernia, where is your source?

The only level ive ever seen judder on is stoneheaven, and it seems that level runs like shit even on powerful pcs.

kuYuri

This is a problem that seems to affect the XB1 version, I have it on 360 and never had these framerate issues post-patch. Game is still pretty smooth on 360.

Sounds like they screwed something up with the last patch that they released. Guessing it's gonna need another patch or hotfix to correct the framerate.

cakely

That requires actually paying people to do tests. Why bother when the consumer has already paid for it and will do it for free?

tighten_up_those_graphics.jpg

Polygon score change incoming?

On a serious note why did this happen?

Lol, I thought the same thing, then thought "Polygon isn't going to change anything, negatively, on these scores!" I am sure they will argue "It doesn't affect gameplay, UNLESS you play on that map, so the score will not change, so..........."

In all seriousness, this is a weird update, actually making the game perform worse?

I'm no Xbone fan but let's be real here, the mismatch of horrible developers that worked on CoD: Ghosts couldn't get this game running well on any platform, even beefed up PCs. Best not to judge hardware based off shitty games made by shitty devs.

Thanks for bringing this up! THis was the same thing I was told in the Tomb Raider Thread. The reason the Xbox One version ran worse than the Ps4 version was because of different, less talented developers.

I am just wondering, is there a crossplatform game, made for both PS4 and Xbox One, that hasn't been made by awful developers and shows both versions of the game running identically? I have yet to find it and it sounds like all multiplatform developers are just awful these days, or that is what some want me to think.

With the trending logic these review site have (like Polygon and IGN) they will update the Xbox One version with a higher score than the PS4 version and give a lame excuse why.

Thanks for bringing this up! THis was the same thing I was told in the Tomb Raider Thread. The reason the Xbox One version ran worse than the Ps4 version was because of different, less talented developers.

I am just wondering, is there a crossplatform game, made for both PS4 and Xbox One, that hasn't been made by awful developers and shows both versions of the game running identically? I have yet to find it and it sounds like all multiplatform developers are just awful these days, or that is what some want me to think.

AFAIK, TR:DE didn't need four developers to do the job.

Call of Duty: Ghosts is a 2013 first-person shooter video game developed by Infinity Ward, with assistance from Raven Software, Neversoft and Certain Affinity

Apples to oranges. But yea let's keep blaming the consoles instead of Activision's group of bottom of the barrel devs.

Hermii

What? It won't ever have parity with the PS4 version because of the resolution difference. This is about frame rate drops since the DLC patch was introduced.

I was joking.

I meant since the Xbox one version runs better than the PS4 version they are patching it to achieve parity.

Steroyd

I don't know what's more impressive this COD fuck up or the fact that with such an open goal 3 yards out EA/Dice still missed.

zychi

Banned
I don't know what's more impressive this COD fuck up or the fact that with such an open goal 3 yards out EA/Dice still missed.

Making millions of dollars on a broken game is a miss? I'd say the consumers are the ones who missed. People still bought up these games (me included) and got suckered into two broken games.

zeelman

I don't understand how after MW2, the developers somehow keep making the engine worse and worse. I would argue that the games don't even look as good as MW2, either.

Steroyd

Making millions of dollars on a broken game is a miss? I'd say the consumers are the ones who missed. People still bought up these games (me included) and got suckered into two broken games.

This is EA, they make millions of dollars on broken games every year. /rimshot

They could have dealt a hefty blow in the mindshare battle of COD versus Battlefield going into the new generation, yet Activision have another year to pull their finger out of their ass.

I'm sure Arthur Gies is going to adjust the score tonight.

Well as he was silly enough to do what he did with the scores in the first place, he bloody well should. But he won't.

The same thing with Tomb Raider. Again, only because they went down that road. Now the whole thing looks an embarrassment.

How did both big shooters of the year end up so un-optimized?
CoD seriously needs a new engine.
Couldn't agree more. Didn't they hype Ghosts running on a new engine? But all they did was slightly modify their current one? The modified engine from from Quake III from 1999? Jeez, with their crazy sales Activision should create their own engine. A 15 year old engine on next gen consoles makes no sense. And it seems like we're finally seeing it that way.
I wonder if we will get a BRAND NEW built from the ground up Cod engine this gen. But, something tells me it would be with the next IW release, so like 2016? Maybe next gen. : /

Xater

Wow, it's crazy how terrible that DOF drops the FPS... it doesn't even look good. It's just some shitty Gaussian blur.

The real funny thing is that the same shit happened to the PC version AT LAUNCH! So somehow they were able to replicate the bad optimization on PC later on the Xbone. That is just incredible.

Claneko

That really sucks. All around, I'd say Ghosts has been a disappointment for me as a whole. I'm not jumping on the anti-COD bandwagon as I did enjoy the previous games, but this one has been a squarely half -like-, half hate affair for me. I think the only enjoyment I get out of it is playing Squads mode.

I know Sledgehammer's game is up next, and fingers crossed that can be a good one, but I'm really hoping Treyarch rides in with something awesome. I liked World at War, but really respected them after the original Black Ops. I consider COD to belong more to them now because of the quality of that game, coupled with the fact that the current Infinity Ward is only so in name only for the most part.

Top Bottom