• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: New XB1 CODGhosts patch reduces MP framerate in some cases to mid-30s

I'm honored that Digital Foundry sourced my GAF thread in their article. :)

I was so frustrated at how little uproar this patch caused. I'm happy this is going to force Infinity Ward to acknowledge the problems and fix them.

who gives a shit about polygon's review cmon guys cmon

the stage where reviews were relevant in selling copies of Call of Duty has long since passed

Poor Gies. Be interesting to see if Polygon do update their score. The PS4 should be rated higher now. Better frame rate and better visuals (1080p vs 720p).

Please, lets not ask Polygon to patch the score, things might break :)

Seriously though, wondering aloud (in type) if they're going to adjust the score nearly 4 months after release just sounds like bait.

ahuffman

Banned
Ugh this game is so frustrating. I am having more fun in squads than I have with the last 2 games combined. I just wish they would fix the problems.

It is evident what a rushed launch can hurt a game and a brand. Both BF4 and CoD suffered from this. Then the pressure is put into patches, which fix some stuff while breaking others, being a developer (not game related) this constant pressure is usually when things go wrong.

Right call on Activision to have a 3 year dev cycle on CoD to improve quality and creativity.

How much time has Sledgehammer been developing the next CoD?

Having watched the entire Digital Foundry framerate analysis video, I honestly think the video shows things in a best case scenario. I've seen serious drops on maps other than Stonehaven. It's just a matter of how many enemies are on screen at the same time, etc. These are situations that never caused a problem prior.

Poor Gies. Be interesting to see if Polygon do update their score. The PS4 should be rated higher now. Better frame rate and better visuals (1080p vs 720p).

Despite what the Digital Foundry article says, I can confidently say the PS4 version does run a little worse than it did prior to the patch. The XB1 version is affected more though.

Seanspeed

Banned
infinity ward might be cruddy developers but the fact that they can't get a cross-gen 720p game to run smoothly still sends up warning signs about both the power and programming environment on xbone, tbh
If it was holding a pretty much constant 60fps before, you cant blame this on the hardware. PC players have been complaining about terrible optimization since it first came out as well. Its the game.

"nextgen hardware"

I'm no Xbone fan but let's be real here, the mismatch of horrible developers that worked on CoD: Ghosts couldn't get this game running well on any platform, even beefed up PCs. Best not to judge hardware based off shitty games made by shitty devs.

How does IW manage to ruin performance after a patch? This is unprecedented bs. They PS4 version seems to have more trouble with framerate post-patch as well. I played a few games and it was much rougher than it ever had been before in some maps.

I'm no Xbone fan but let's be real here, the mismatch of horrible developers that worked on CoD: Ghosts couldn't get this game running well on any platform, even beefed up PCs. Best not to judge hardware based off shitty games made by shitty devs.

So if Titanfall turns out to be 720 is it also going to be because Respawn are horrible devs?

Tgere's clearly a lot mire issues with the X1 than just "lazy" or "bad" devs

XBone users don't care about fps counts anyway going by other threads so this shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have any examples? CoD specifically since that's the game we're discussing. I don't think I've ever read anyone say they don't care about CoD dropping to 30fps. That would be pretty crazy indeed!

It is evident what a rushed launch can hurt a game and a brand. Both BF4 and CoD suffered from this. Then the pressure is put into patches, which fix some stuff while breaking others, being a developer (not game related) this constant pressure is usually when things go wrong.

Right call on Activision to have a 3 year dev cycle on CoD to improve quality and creativity.

How much time has Sledgehammer been developing the next CoD?

I would assume they have been working on it since MW3. So they should be the first team that has had the benefit of the 3 year del cycle.

Seanspeed

Banned
So if Titanfall turns out to be 720 is it also going to be because Respawn are horrible devs?

Tgere's clearly a lot mire issues with the X1 than just "lazy" or "bad" devs
If TitanFall is 720p and also has big performance issues, sure.

You can look at all the different versions of Ghosts and see pretty clearly its not a very optimized game whatsoever. Singling out the hardware here is not fair at all, especially considering it was running at 60fps just fine before the patch.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't remember seeing a console game patch that actually reduced performance. That's quite an achievment.

If TitanFall is 720p and also has big performance issues, sure.

You can look at all the different versions of Ghosts and see pretty clearly its not a very optimized game whatsoever. Singling out the hardware here is not fair at all, especially considering it was running at 60fps just fine before the patch.

I agree it's not the best game ever but I've had very few issues myself (PS4 version). Heck, if I recall correctly the juddering on PS4 was due to higher than 60 framerates.

All I'm saying is that, people pouncing on IW and calling them bad devs should consider that the X1 is obviously a pain to work with, something that will be particularly true if it's premiere "exclusive" ends up at 720 too. I doubt there will be performance issues on Respawn's end as they've had plenty of time and need to focus on just two platforms but you never know

I hope Polygon updates their score. If slight FPS issues warranted a -.5 deduction, I would think something like this might mean a bigger point loss... Efh, they'd never do that to the Xbox version

Why are people trying to bring consple war bullshit about the xb1 in here?

Fact is, the game was running at a near smooth 60fps before the patch. And now we're looking at regular 30-40fps drops. This is unacceptable. The launch of Ghosts has shown me that treyarch is the only cod developer to trust anymore. I have no clue how this made it past QA.

I'm personally not trying to start anything though my comments could be seen as such. All I'm saying is that there's clearly some issues with the X1, and not just "bad devs".

daman824

Why are people trying to bring console war bullshit about the xb1 in here?

Fact is, the game was running at a near smooth 60fps before the patch. And now we're looking at regular 30-40fps drops. This is unacceptable. The launch of Ghosts has shown me that treyarch is the only cod developer to trust anymore. I have no clue how this made it past QA.

Ryse has a sub 30FPS framerate.

Significantly better looking game in effects and resolution and not too different FPS compared to the latest patch of Doges was what I was getting at.

Of course, as has already been mentioned I think the only platforms the game doesn't run like arse on is PS360, which is the key point here.

I agree it's not the best game ever but I've had very few issues myself (PS4 version). Heck, if I recall correctly the juddering on PS4 was due to higher than 60 framerates.

All I'm saying is that, people pouncing on IW and calling them bad devs should consider that the X1 is obviously a pain to work with, something that will be particularly true if it's premiere "exclusive" ends up at 720 too. I doubt there will be performance issues on Respawn's end as they've had plenty of time and need to focus on just two platforms but you never know

I hope Polygon updates their score. If slight FPS issues warranted a -.5 deduction, I would think something like this might mean a bigger point loss... Efh, they'd never do that to the Xbox version

I'm personally not trying to start anything though my comments could be seen as such. All I'm saying is that there's clearly some issues with the X1, and not just "bad devs".

You're defending IW? The PS4 patch sucks too apparently. This is pretty bad for a big game series like CoD.

because they're console warriors doing what they do

Con_Smith

Banned
well most of the other threads weren't about competitive shooters, FPS is more important in an... FPS

For some people I guess. Some don't care enough or can't tell the difference it seems.

Do you have any examples? CoD specifically since that's the game we're discussing. I don't think I've ever read anyone say they don't care about CoD dropping to 30fps. That would be pretty crazy indeed!

No examples off the top of my head, but peeking in enough comparison threads has shown me people don't care enough when it comes to frames or resolution apparently. Although I wasn't being completely serious in my previous post as I do remember a thread awhile back where a CoD fan felt the difference in frames after a patch.

Seanspeed

Banned

We've had mixed comments about what its like to develop games on the Xbox One. Some devs have said its quite nice, others have said the opposite.

Really, players on PC with high end rigs have experienced performance issues. Regardless of what the Xbox is like to develop for, this game is not a great example to point to as its known to have problems all round.

daman824

Put it in another thread. This thread has to do with the shitty patch iw just released, not how hard the xb1 is to develop for.

Iw fucked up hard with ghosts. It's pretty much universally accepted that it's the worst cod game in a while. It also has been a technical mess since launch on pretty much every platform it has been released on. But instead of buckling down and being more careful, they release a patch like this.

shandy706

New patch incoming.

One would hope.

It's obvious to anyone that this is developer/game related. I'm sure a lot of the people you're pointing out are the usual suspects.

You're defending IW? The PS4 patch sucks too apparently. This is pretty bad for a big game series like CoD.

If the patch sucks on other consoles then I guess there's no defending it. I wasn't aware of that since the article only mentioned the X1.

Do you have a link for the PS4 version? Article said it had no new issues so maybe I missed something

Saya Brea

Banned
Sorry our patch put patches in your frame rate, here's a patch to patch the patch that made the patch in your framerate.

Oh god, why did I type that.

*presses submit*

New patch incoming.

I sure hope so, but so far they've refused to even admit the latest patch has caused a problem. Even this Digital Foundry article states they requested comment from Infinity Ward/Activision and got none.

Most developers own up to a bad patch immediately, but for some reason these guys have decided to play like they have no idea what anyone is talking about. It's pretty strange to watch.

Unfortunately the Digital Foundry article incorrectly states the PS4 patch did not incur any performance hits post patch, but I can say very confidently that is not true. I've put many hours into the PS4 version pre patch, and the other day I played a few hours on the PS4 post patch, and the framerate is most certainly less stable. PS4 version is not affected as severely as the XB1 version, but it's definitely a little worse than it had been prior.

Nokterian

Just look at the kind of PC system requirements that are needed to run the game, you would think you're running UE4. The game screams un-optimized.

And it is...this IW doesn't give a damn about PC. At least Treyarch has a small but dedicated pc team on there side. Hell even Black Ops 2 runs smoother and better that Ghosts never will.

Top Bottom