• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: New XB1 CODGhosts patch reduces MP framerate in some cases to mid-30s

system11

Maybe they should just port BO2 to XB1/PS4 and give it away free to anyone who bought Ghosts. At least they'd have a good game to play then.

driver116

Letterbox me to 2.40:1 if old:

Recent feedback indicates the new frame-rate issues appear most prominently on the Stonehaven level, with explosions and alpha-based effects appearing to cause these fluctuations. The reports are somewhat worrying, given that the Xbox One version of Ghosts previously had no notable frame-rate problems outside of the campaign mode, with online multiplayer featuring action mostly locked at 60fps with very few dips in performance. While resolution may be unimpressive at 720p, Ghosts on Xbox One mostly delivered the 60fps gameplay that defines the series.

Bearing in mind that reports on game patches tend to be based purely on perception, we decided to run some fresh multiplayer captures through our analysis tools in order to get to the bottom of the issue. We loaded up the standard Team Deathmatch mode and recaptured gameplay on some of the key maps allegedly affected by the update, while also introducing Stormfront into the mix - a stage that features regular alpha effects in the form of frequent rain.

Kicking off with a look at Stonehaven, it's immediately obvious that things are not quite right. While the game does indeed hit 60fps in this stage, frame-rates are dramatically impacted when the whole level is in view, with metrics varying between 46-60fps as we run across the landscape. As frame-rates fall below the desired 60fps target, we also see the appearance of some screen-tear, adding some judder, making drops in smoothness more noticeable.

Meanwhile, aiming down the barrel of a sniper scope can see significant drops down as far as the mid-30s - something we never encountered before in ether next-gen version of Ghosts during multiplayer. As a result of the fluctuating frame-rate we can feel a clear reduction in the responsiveness of the controls, while on a visual level the introduction of stutter impacts the smooth flow traditionally associated with Call of Duty multiplayer action.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-performance-drops-on-cod-ghosts-patch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UdI_xn3XY&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oPxomrfHUig

Welcome to an entire generation of inferior CoD games on PS3.

Maybe they should just port BO2 to XB1/PS4 and give it away free to anyone who bought Ghosts. At least they'd have a good game to play then.

Eh, I'd prefer Black Ops 1. But the whole Black Ops series has much more memorable and better maps than ghosts has. IMO
edit: ^ cod games weren't bad on the ps3 were they? That's where I played them and I never had any noticeable issues.

zeelman

How did both big shooters of the year end up so un-optimized?

Couldn't agree more. Didn't they hype Ghosts running on a new engine? But all they did was slightly modify their current one? The modified engine from from Quake III from 1999? Jeez, with their crazy sales Activision should create their own engine. A 15 year old engine on next gen consoles makes no sense. And it seems like we're finally seeing it that way.
I wonder if we will get a BRAND NEW built from the ground up Cod engine this gen. But, something tells me it would be with the next IW release, so like 2016? Maybe next gen. : /

Yeah, a new engine would be nice, since some of the issues have to do with the engine, such as quick scoping, the questionable netcode (though this is also Demonware's problem since they're the ones who make the COD netcode in the first place), and the lag compensation. Activision could have it designed in such a way that it could be licensed out to other developers as well.

Walshicus

driver116 said:
DieH@rd said:
Letterbox me to 2.40:1 if old:

Recent feedback indicates the new frame-rate issues appear most prominently on the Stonehaven level, with explosions and alpha-based effects appearing to cause these fluctuations. The reports are somewhat worrying, given that the Xbox One version of Ghosts previously had no notable frame-rate problems outside of the campaign mode, with online multiplayer featuring action mostly locked at 60fps with very few dips in performance. While resolution may be unimpressive at 720p, Ghosts on Xbox One mostly delivered the 60fps gameplay that defines the series.

Bearing in mind that reports on game patches tend to be based purely on perception, we decided to run some fresh multiplayer captures through our analysis tools in order to get to the bottom of the issue. We loaded up the standard Team Deathmatch mode and recaptured gameplay on some of the key maps allegedly affected by the update, while also introducing Stormfront into the mix - a stage that features regular alpha effects in the form of frequent rain.

Kicking off with a look at Stonehaven, it's immediately obvious that things are not quite right. While the game does indeed hit 60fps in this stage, frame-rates are dramatically impacted when the whole level is in view, with metrics varying between 46-60fps as we run across the landscape. As frame-rates fall below the desired 60fps target, we also see the appearance of some screen-tear, adding some judder, making drops in smoothness more noticeable.

Meanwhile, aiming down the barrel of a sniper scope can see significant drops down as far as the mid-30s - something we never encountered before in ether next-gen version of Ghosts during multiplayer. As a result of the fluctuating frame-rate we can feel a clear reduction in the responsiveness of the controls, while on a visual level the introduction of stutter impacts the smooth flow traditionally associated with Call of Duty multiplayer action.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...d-ghosts-patch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UdI...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oPxomrfHUig

Welcome to an entire generation of inferior CoD games on PS3.

Please don't quote long OPs. Everyone knows what we're talking about and it's a pain for mobile users. Thanks.
Agreed.

;)

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Is there even any original developers at IW from CoD 2 and CoD 4 or is it basically a new team under the same name? I know we have Respawn now but thats not the whole team is it??

Cheap tatic to keep the name suppose for the attach rate of fans to the IW name. Should have rebranded because this team is now where near the quality of the original.

jedimike

Those assholes at Infinity Ward have ignored several of my tweets on this topic, and have been pretending nothing is wrong.

I wonder why? Who would ever respond to someone that called them assholes?

Just look at this thread... incompetent, cruddy developers, amateurs, ugly ass game, laughing stocks, inept.

I can understand the criticism but what's with the complete lack of basic respect?

It makes me wonder how many "gamers" understand the complexities of making a game. If you did, I don't think you'd be so quick to sling shit all over the place.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'm sure Arthur Gies is going to adjust the score tonight.
36530-ryan-stiles-love-it-gif-dg7r.gif

NBtoaster

Probably just a bug with the patch that will get corrected eventually.

Obviously won't be reflective of every COD game to come..

I wonder why? Who would ever respond to someone that called them assholes?

Just look at this thread... incompetent, cruddy developers, amateurs, ugly ass game, laughing stocks, inept.

I can understand the criticism but what's with the complete lack of basic respect?

It makes me wonder how many "gamers" understand the complexities of making a game. If you did, I don't think you'd be so quick to sling shit all over the place.

Stop making excuses for them. They released a mandatory update that completely screwed up a game I paid for and had been enjoying on a daily basis. They have a community manager, and a studio twitter account, and the head of their studio has a twitter account. I asked them for a simple explanation for why they screwed up their own game. I waited a day or two and I asked again. I got not reply, and I'm not the only one asking.

IMO they're being assholes. It would be one thing if they owned up to their stupid mistake, but they won't, even when asked politely for an explanation. Hell, even the article referenced in the original post of this thread states they reached out to Infinity Ward and Activision for comment on these problems, and they declined to comment! For whatever reasons they're taking a stance of put your fingers in your ears and pretend nothing happened.

Yeah, asshole seems pretty mild if I'm being honest.

Jomjom

Banned
Stop making excuses for them. They released a mandatory update that completely screwed up a game I paid for and had been enjoying on a daily basis. They have a community manager, and a studio twitter account, and the head of their studio has a twitter account. I asked them for a simple explanation for why they screwed up their own game. I waited a day or two and I asked again. I got not reply, and I'm not the only one asking.

IMO they're being assholes. It would be one thing if they owned up to their stupid mistake, but they won't, even when asked politely for an explanation. Hell, even the article referenced in the original post of this thread states they reached out to Infinity Ward and Activision for comment on these problems, and they declined to comment! For whatever reasons they're taking a stance of put your fingers in your ears and pretend nothing happened.

Exactly.

It's not like they are providing this game for free. People had to pay freaking $60 for this game. It just has to work and if it doesn't, of course the developers deserve everything coming to them.

Maybe the guy apologizing for the dev doesn't work in an occupation that has to answer to customers, but that is how it is and how it should be.

jedimike

Excuses? Didn't recall making any. I get the criticism, but it's pretty easy to be critical and respectful... let me show you:

-IW has too many things on their plate and dropped the ball on the latest XB1 patch.
-Activision's plan to release COD annually was too aggressive for next gen development
-MS isn't giving developers good enough tools

See, you can be critical and respectful. As for IW not responding? Maybe they don't yet know what went wrong... perhaps the engineers are still working on it? It's not like they can just look at the patch and see that they forgot to add a period. It has to be analyzed.

But saying they are inept, incompetent, lazy, etc. is plain wrong. It takes a tremendous amount of talent, effort, and dedication to make any game and the COD series continues to deliver for millions of gamers.

Excuses? Didn't recall making any. I get the criticism, but it's pretty easy to be critical and respectful... let me show you:

No, let me show you.

-IW has too many things on their plate and dropped the ball on the latest XB1 patch.
That's an excuse
-Activision's plan to release COD annually was too aggressive for next gen development
Also an excuse.
-MS isn't giving developers good enough tools
And another excuse

As for IW not responding? Maybe they don't yet know what went wrong... perhaps the engineers are still working on it? It's not like they can just look at the patch and see that they forgot to add a period. It has to be analyzed.
They don't know what went wrong? Then they respond with "we're looking into it, and we hope to release another update to correct the problems for our customers soon". It's that easy. They won't even offer that common courtesy to their customers.

But saying they are inept, incompetent, lazy, etc. is plain wrong. It takes a tremendous amount of talent, effort, and dedication to make any game and the COD series continues to deliver for millions of gamers.

I never used any of those words, but since you're bringing them up, yeah, I'd say it takes a certain level of incompetency to release a patch that makes your game run worse. I don't believe I've ever seen this happen with a game before. That should tell you something.

jedimike

No, let me show you.

That's an excuse

Also an excuse.

And another excuse

They don't know what went wrong? Then they respond with "we're looking into it, and we hope to release another update to correct the problems for our customers soon". It's that easy. They won't even offer that common courtesy to their customers.

I never used any of those words, but since you're bringing them up, yeah, I'd say it takes a certain level of incompetency to release a patch that makes your game run worse. I don't believe I've ever seen this happen with a game before. That should tell you something.

Not sure why you felt it was relevant to quote my future statement as relevant to your past statement... regardless, many patches have been released that made games worse.

GTA online
Fallout New Vegas
and even Skyrim which was more prominently reported:
http://kotaku.com/5863694/did-the-skyrim-patch-make-things-better-or-worse
http://www.8bitfix.com/content/did-latest-skyrim-patch-make-game-worse-new-fix-released-soon-3318/
http://www.gamefront.com/bethesda-pushes-through-skyrim-pc-patch-makes-things-worse/

It happens.

How much talent, effort, or dedication does it take to spend 10 seconds on twitter saying "sorry, we're looking into it"? After all, you're not responding to a complaint about the game getting made, but to the total lack of communication following a screwup...which, as you mention, happens to affect millions of gamers.

10 seconds. Not even considering they have people employed whose sole job is to do this. It really makes your statement about describing this as inept, incompetent, lazy to be "plain wrong" as...plain wrong. Absurd, even.

Munki

The only map i've experienced a noticeable drop in framerate is in the new map "Containement", and only in the lower portion of the map.

Bgamer90

Banned

It's amazing how messy this game has ended up. Not a COD fan at all but the news has been amazing to follow.

What's interesting is that so many of my friends call it lag.

But I said this in Bruiser'a thread: it's bad. Go stand by the wreckage in Stonehaven. We're talking sub-20. The tracker scope nukes framerates too. How did they fuck up this bad?

Bgamer90

Banned

It happened with Skate 2.

A patch caused the game to freeze for a very short time during fast gameplay. Made the game unplayable for me for a while.

What's interesting is that so many of my friends call it lag.

But I said this in Bruiser'a thread: it's bad. Go stand by the wreckage in Stonehaven. We're talking sub-20. The tracker scope nukes framerates too. How did they fuck up this bad?

I'm starting to think that the way the initial versions of the game ran on PS4/XB1 was just luck. Like they have no idea how they got it work right initially and have just gone and screwed it all up by trying to improve it. Did the patch make anything better?

Bgamer90

Banned
Why are people trying to bring console war bullshit about the xb1 in here?

Fact is, the game was running at a near smooth 60fps before the patch. And now we're looking at regular 30-40fps drops. This is unacceptable. The launch of Ghosts has shown me that treyarch is the only cod developer to trust anymore. I have no clue how this made it past QA.

It is really funny how some are using the game (a messed up one at that) to classify the console as a whole. It would be like basing the PS3 as a whole on its version of Skyrim.

It's not surprising at all though. Either way, here's to hoping that this year's COD will be better for people who love the series. The extra time + no need to rush for console launches should help.

I'm starting to think that the way the initial versions of the game ran on PS4/XB1 was just luck. Like they have no idea how they got it work right initially and have just gone and screwed it all up by trying to improve it. Did the patch make anything better?

Has there been another patch since? Either way, I played it last night and it's still terrible. But I'm doing onslaught rotation. Stonehaven is heavy on fire and smoke, and that's mainly what tanks it. Not so bad on Fog, outside of scopes.

Has there been another patch since? Either way, I played it last night and it's still terrible. But I'm doing onslaught rotation. Stonehaven is heavy on fire and smoke, and that's mainly what tanks it. Not so bad on Fog, outside of scopes.

Sorry I meant the patch we're talking about that fucked up the framerate stability. The point of a patch is to improve things. So while it messed up the framerate did it even improve anything at all or did it literally just make the game less stable?

At this point I could believe IW released a patch that only made things worse

Sorry I meant the patch we're talking about that fucked up the framerate stability. The point of a patch is to improve things. So while it messed up the framerate did it even improve anything at all or did it literally just make the game less stable?

At this point I could believe IW released a patch that only made things worse

I'm pretty casual in the sense that I wouldn't notice ADS timing and crap like that. So, no, I personally noticed no improvements. :(

It's actually made me consider trading it in and I bought the season pass.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
But it also says, "not as smooth as xbox one". Guess they haven't fixed the judder issue yet.

Vernia, where is your source?
It's odd, a lot of the slowdown on ps4 seems to coincide with data streaming. Not all, but quite a bit. If you stand still and rotate the camera performance returns to 60 after a couple seconds.

Game is really unoptimized on all platforms. Despite the bugs, Battlefield 4 is much more impressive from a visual and performance standpoint.

It is really funny how some are using the game (a messed up one at that) to classify the console as a whole. It would be like basing the PS3 as a whole on its version of Skyrim.
Nobody is basing xb1 performance on Ghosts alone. There are so many other games which exhibit problems as well. Ghosts is just one of them.

EGM1966

Pretty poor show on the QC and QA end of things - but I find I do feel a little sorry for the developers here. Activision got really greedy and they got IW and the other teams involved to take on way too many versions IMHO to manage the code-base in a proper and efficient manner and I think we've been seeing the fallout of that since launch.

They should have gone for a staggered release and clearer porting strategy IMHO and ensured better quality across the board.

As a consumer though the end result remains unacceptable though.

geordiemp

I recall a review by total biscuit who said he lost frames / fps when aiming using some gun optics on all maps on COD ghosts - think thermal was worst...

and that was with dual titans.....

So the issue seems like a developer coding issue to me if it does same on dual titans, and maybe they have made it worse...

I don't know of any major XB1 game that has close to the number of problems that COD has.

I think Dark1x is talking about the general power deficit seen in XB1 games when compared to PS4. Lots of games running at 720p, lower framerates, etc.

In regards to Ghosts, besides the resolution being 720p the game ran very well at 60fps prior to this patch, so I agree with those saying this shitty patch means nothing against the XB1. It's just shoddy work from Infinity Ward.

I think Dark1x is talking about the general power deficit seen in XB1 games when compared to PS4. Lots of games running at 720p, lower framerates, etc.

In regards to Ghosts, besides the resolution being 720p the game ran very well at 60fps prior to this patch, so I agree with those saying this shitty patch means nothing against the XB1. It's just shoddy work from Infinity Ward.

I'm surprised people would say otherwise.

Top Bottom