• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CGI reboot of Courage the Cowardly Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stretch Films Inc. (Featuring the work of John R. Dilworth) posted recently on Facebook about submitting a CGI reboot of Courage the Cowardly Dog to Cartoon Network with hopes of finally rebooting the series. They're currently trying to reach out to their fans for support on this new revamp of the series:

eqwKmld.png

CmTbao8.png

Video of CGI reboot

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Courage was so great. Not a huge fan of CGI, but that doesn't look too bad...Eustace's gums kinda freak me out though.

Doesn't look nearly as far removed from the original as I expected. The cloud looked dumb, though. I don't think you can make a 'scary' thing using this particular sort of 3D art. It just looks goofy. It's been a while since I've watched the show but I remember the rudimentary 2D art style, particularly for the villains, being genuinely eerie. It had me legit shooked at times.

Kangi

Courage's expressions just don't work without the speed and stylization that only 2D can do.

That said, CGI has a lot of potential as far as monster designs go, and the one in that teaser looks like a good start. I'll remain optimistic and hope this is picked up, in one form or another.

amnesiac

The problem with CGI these days is that you have to be careful so it doesn't look dated! Go big or go home. The CGI in the trailer looks very dated.

#team2dCourage

I'm not one of those weirdo anti-CGI people, but I'd rather see a Courage reboot animated traditionally with a different art direction or something.
TV budget CGI needs a little more time to cook before I'm ok with it being a widely used tool in the medium.
:/

I dunno, if they made it really janky it could be even more of a nightmare than the original show.

edit: oh that's not great. it should look like one of those 3d demo avi's you got with computers in the mid 90s.

gosox333

It's not terrible. 2D animated would be better, but that is definitely Courage in CGI.

They could've gone the Powerpuff girls route.

JordanN

Banned
Why the fuck can't they just do it in 2D? Either do it properly or don't do it at all.

2D means shipping the cartoon to South Korea, because there's not a lot of inbetweeners in the West.

Unless you want to settle with Flash quality.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ew. God I hate this kind of primitive CG.

Just give me the other seasons of the original show on DVD, please.

fader

no. this wont work. the thing i loved about courage was the animation. the quick jerking run starts to the sudden appearance of bulging eyes, cgi animation for courage wont work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom