• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CGI reboot of Courage the Cowardly Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
KING RAAAAAAAAMSEEEEEEEEEEEES

They should try rebooting good shows.

tumblr_mlvs2emiA61s5lf2ro1_500.gif

Update:

A new clip of "The Fog of Courage" has been released !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKYb8m1JCbQ

For those of you curious about Eustace's voice being different, here is what Stretch Films had to say:

"The original voice of Eustace, Lionel Wilson passed away. We have the amazing Wallace Shawn voicing Eustace in the special."

The film also won first prize at the 3RD ANNUAL ASIFA-San Francisco spring show earlier this summer!

10320588_761850530532067_3182131053275799565_n.jpg

Nikodemos

I must admit I felt a genuine moment of heartwarming at "Stupid fog!"

Also, Courage's freakout scene is on par with any of its old 2D ones.

this is hilarious....

when I was an animation student I interned for John Dilworth at Stretch...they weren't doing too much at the time just pitches and festivals...and when John found out that I wanted to change majors and do 3D instead of 2D animation....he got offended and hated on CG tearing my computer animation reel apart... etc.

and now, hahahha, he's trying to reboot with CG...too funny. esp. now that i work in the industry....it's funny to see

sadly I'd work on the cartoon. the animation/vfx industry sucks :(

K' Dash

this is hilarious....

when I was an animation student I interned for John Dilworth at Stretch...they weren't doing too much at the time just pitches and festivals...and when John found out that I wanted to change majors and do 3D instead of 2D animation....he got offended and hated on CG tearing my computer animation reel apart... etc.

and now, hahahha, he's trying to reboot with CG...too funny. esp. now that i work in the industry....it's funny to see

sadly I'd work on the cartoon. the animation/vfx industry sucks :(

Well, I preffer 2D, but I understand the complexities, it is smarter to do it CGI.

Capra

Oh man I want this to be good sooooo badly... Courage was my favorite show on CN back in the day. I'd much rather have 2D animation of course, but if CGI is the only way they can make this show profitable I'll take it. Plus I'm sure they'll do plenty of cross-media tomfuckery with claymation and paper cutouts like in the original series.

Incidentally, I just found out the second season is getting a DVD release in October. The first one was admittedly pretty bare bones, but it's a way to show support.

Lijik

I really dig everything about the visuals Ive seen from the short... except for the fog's face. Looks weird and out of place.

SmZA

I don't get how 3D is supposed to be cheaper than 2D. I remember the mid-90s when amateur Flash cartoons were all over the web; surely there are more professional tools to allow animators to imitate hand-drawn cells using computers. They don't even have to be realistic or worry about multiple angles like in 3D.

Aren't the Simpsons and the like done all digital these days?

Tangent: I don't know the cartoon and had it confused with Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog. I was outraged: how could a CGI hand puppet possibly be funny?

NimbusD

Well it looks much better than I was imagining, but it still loses a lot of it's charm through the transition. It just doesn't seem to work as well in 3d. But who knows, maybe they'd be able to perfect it if they were actually picked up and given a budget.

Wallace Shawn really is himself in everything, even a demo reel...

Cool to hear this won an award, though it's not nearly as fun to watch as the original 2D animation.

Update:

A new clip of "The Fog of Courage" has been released !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKYb8m1JCbQ

For those of you curious about Eustace's voice being different, here is what Stretch Films had to say:

The film also won first prize at the 3RD ANNUAL ASIFA-San Francisco spring show earlier this summer!

10320588_761850530532067_3182131053275799565_n.jpg

Other then Eustace's new voice (although to be fair, it's not like I would be happy with anything other then the impossible) that clip actually looks great. If they can keep the fucked up moments the series always had I'm so in!

DOWN

Banned
As much as I miss Courage, I think some of the creaky movements that the drawn series villains had made it much eerier.

I'm not a fan of the CG animation, but as long as the writing is up to par with the old cartoon I'm game for more Courage. Was and still is a very funny cartoon.

Bumping because the short finally came out and it's wonderful, classic Courage antics, feels just like the original series, just in CGI, Wallace Shawn as Eustance is quite different but still alright. Can't wait for the new specials Dilworth is making, and hope they lead to a full on new Courage season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI6DDJHwNhE

Toa TAK

Banned
Bumping because the short finally came out and it's wonderful, classic Courage antics, feels just like the original series, just in CGI, Wallace Shawn as Eustance is quite different but still alright. Can't wait for the new specials Dilworth is making, and hope they lead to a full on new Courage season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI6DDJHwNhE

That was great, it's just an episode of Courage in CGI paint. Everything about the show is still there, aside from Eustace's VA (which I think does a great job). They should revive this show to creep out the younger generation.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't get down with Eustace's voice in that.

still, Courage was my favorite cartoon as a kid (fight me irl if you disagree) so I'm looking forward to anything new.

Wallace Shawn is close to Eustice. There are a couple of moments where it sounds like our old, grumpy friend. I think if Wallace tries to color his voice a little more, lower the pitch esp, he'll be right on. (my main complaint is that identified the actor much to readily--I heard him, not the character)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom